About Dr. Rong
Dr. Rong joined MD Anderson as a research faculty in Department of Diagnostic Radiology in 1999, after obtaining his Medical Physics training from The University of Michigan Medical Center. He completed his clinical training in the Imaging Physics Residency Program (2001-2003) at MD Anderson. From 2003 to 2006, he was an assistant professor at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. He rejoined MD Anderson in 2006 and has been serving as Quality Officer for Department of Imaging Physics since 2009, leading the effort of compliance, faculty credentialing and quality improvement.
At MD Anderson, he has been providing imaging physics support for all aspects related to clinical CT operations. He has been actively involved in clinical research in the fields of CT radiation dose reduction and image optimization. As a faculty member of The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston (GSBS), he has been actively involved in teaching of Medical Physics graduate students, serving as the course coordinator for the Medical Physics core course Introduction to Medical Physics II: Medical Imaging. He is also the primary faculty physicist supervising imaging physics residents in CT rotations.
He has served as a Section Editor, Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics since 2008. He co-authored three book chapters in Advances in Medical Physics book series. He has also been heavily involved in continuing education workshops for medical physicists – being served as both a course director and an instructor.
Associate Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Quality Officer, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
His primary clinical interest has been to support clinical CT physics in Diagnostic Imaging so that patients receive the highest quality patient care possible.
|1996||University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA, PHD, Health Physics|
|1992||University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA, MS, Health Physics|
|1984||Peking University, Beijing, CHN, BS, Nuclear Physics|
|2001-2003||Resident, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1999||Postdoctoral Fellowship, The University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI|
|2015||American Board of Medical Quality|
|2004||American Board of Radiology (Diagnostic Radiologic Physics)|
Assistant Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2010
- Dodge CT, Tamm EP, Cody DD, Liu X, Jensen CT, Wei W, Kundra V, Rong J Performance evaluation of iterative reconstruction algorithms for achieving CT radiation dose reduction - A phantom study J Appl Clin Med Phys 17 (2) :511-531, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27074454
- Wait JM, Cody D, Jones AK, Rong J, Baladandayuthapani V, Kappadath SC Performance evaluation of material decomposition with rapid-kilovoltage-switching dual-energy CT and implications for assessing bone mineral density AJR Am J Roentgenol 204 (6) :1234-41, 2015. PMID: 26001233
- Yao J, Shaw C, Lai CJ, Rong J, Wang J, Liu W Cone beam CT for determining breast cancer margin: An initial experience and its comparison with mammography and specimen radiograph Int J Clin Exp Med 8 (9) :15206-13, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26629005
- Greene TC, Rong XJ Evaluation of techniques for slice sensitivity profile measurement and analysis J Appl Clin Med Phys 15 (2) :4042, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24710429
- Mueller JW, Vining DJ, Jones AK, Followill D, Johnson VE, Bhosale P, Rong J, Cody DD JOURNAL CLUB: In vivo CT dosimetry during CT colonography AJR Am J Roentgenol 202 (4) :703-10, 2014. PMID: 24660695
- Nute JL, Rong J, Stevens DM, Darensbourg BJ, Cheng J, Wei W, Hobbs BP, Cody DD Evaluation of over 100 scanner-years of computed tomography daily quality control data Med Phys 40 (5) :051908 (1-11), 2013. PMID: 23635278
- Tamm EP, Rong XJ, Cody DD, Ernst RD, Fitzgerald NE, Kundra V Quality initiatives: CT radiation dose reduction: How to implement change without sacrificing diagnostic quality Radiographics 31 (7) :1823-32, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21969662
- Hulme KW, Rong J, Chasen B, Chuang HH, Cody DD, Wong FC, Kappadath SC A CT acquisition technique to generate images at various dose levels for prospective dose reduction studies AJR Am J Roentgenol 196 (2) :W144-51, 2011. PMID: 21257855
- Zhang D, Rong J, Chen WR, Gao F, Xu K, Wu X, Liu H Impact of additive noise on system performance of a digital x-ray imaging system IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 54(1):1-5, 2007
- Zhang Q, Rong J, Wu X, Li Y, Chen WR, and Liu H Impacts of filtration to contrast - detail detectability of an x-ray imaging system International Journal of Biomedical Imaging 2006:1-8, 2006
- Rong XJ, Krugh KT, Shepard J, and Geiser G Measurement of focal spot size with slit camera using computed radiography and flat-panel based digital detectors Medical Physics 30(7):1768-1775, 2003
- Rong XJ, Shaw C, Johnston DA, Lemacks MR, Liu X, Whitman GJ, Dryden MJ, Stephens TW, Thompson SK, Krugh KT and Lai CJ Microcalcification detectability for four mammographic detectors: flat-panel, CCD, CR, and sreen/film Medical Physics 29(9):2052-2061, 2002
- Rong XJ, Shaw C, Liu X, Lemacks MR, and Thompson SK Comparison of an amorphous silicon/cesium iodide flat-panel digital chest radiography system with screen/film and computed radiography systems - A contrast detail phantom study Medical Physics 28(11):2328-2335, 2001
- Maolinbay M, El-Mohri Y, Antonuk LE, Jee K-W, Nassif S, Rong X, and Zhao Q Additive noise properties of active matrix flat-panel imagers Medical Physics 27(8):1841-1854, 2000
- Akyalcin S, English JD, Abramovitch KM, Rong XJ Measurement of skin dose from cone-beam computed tomography imaging Head Face Med 9 (1) :28. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24192155