About Dr. Prokhorov
Alexander V. Prokhorov, MD, PhD, has spent most of his research career in Texas and is currently a professor in the Department of Behavioral Science, Director of the Tobacco Outreach Education Program (TOEP) and Co-Director of the Duncan Family Institute eHealth Technology Program.
During his tenure at MD Anderson, Dr. Prokhorov has established a strong record of obtaining state and federally funded research grants and has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. His work primarily focuses on creating and testing innovative tobacco prevention and cessation programs for high-risk teens and young adults. His interactive multimedia Web site ASPIRE (A Smoking Prevention Interactive Experience) has reached thousands of young users in Texas, across the nation and the world. He also develops programs aimed at increasing awareness of the tobacco risks among the general public and enhancing smoking cessation counseling skills among health care providers in Texas and beyond. He has projects with low income adults as well. He is a Principal Investigator for “Enhancing Cancer Outreach for Low-Income Adults with Innovative Smoking Cessation.” This study uses an existing network of community sites to deliver smoking cessation treatment to a multiethnic population of uninsured and underinsured adults living in the greater Houston, Texas metropolitan area.
Dr. Prokhorov is a much sought after speaker for national and international conferences and seminars aimed at facilitating tobacco control and cancer prevention. He currently serves as a member of the Julius Richmond Center of Excellence with the mission to protect children from exposure to secondhand smoke. His honors include the World Health Organization (WHO) Medal and Certificate (1990), George and Barbara Bush Endowment for Innovative Cancer Research (2003), MD Anderson Educator of the Month (September 2003); an invitation to testify on smoking and adolescents before the President’s Cancer Panel (2007); and the Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award Nominee (2009). Most recently, Dr. Prokhorov was awarded the 2011 Joseph Cullen Award for Excellence in Tobacco Research from the American Society of Preventive Oncology. He was also a 2011 Julie and Ben Rodgers Award for Excellence in Cancer Prevention Nominee.
Dr. Prokhorov received his MD from the 1st Moscow Sechenov School and his PhD from The USSR Cardiology Research Center.
Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor of Behavioral Sciences, Department of School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX
smoking prevention and cessation among youth and adolescents
lifestyle change risk reductions
enhancing tobacco cessation treatment and counseling by health care providers
|1988||The USSR Cardiology Research Center, Moscow, Russia, PHD, Cardiology/Hygiene|
|1979||1st Moscow Medical Sechenov School, Moscow, Russia, MD, Epidemiology, Hygiene|
|1992-1994||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Cancer Prevention Research Consortium, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI|
|1992-1992||Visiting Scientist, UCSD Population Studies for Cancer Prevention, University of California, San Diego, CA|
|1991-1992||Research Fellowship, University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Minneapolis, MN|
Associate Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2004
Assistant Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1994 - 2000
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Cancer Prevention Research Consortium, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, 1992 - 1994
Member, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative: Addressing Tobacco in Healthcare Research Network, Washington, D.C, 2008 - Present
Member, National Cancer Institute, Workgroup for Computerized Tailored Interventions, Providence, RI, 2007 - Present
Member, American Academy of Pediatrics Tobacco Consortium and Richmond Center of Excellence Scientific Advisory Committee, Elk Grove Village, IL, 2006 - 2018
|2012||The Margaret and James A. Elkins, Jr. Faculty Achievement Award in Cancer Prevention, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Joseph Cullen Award for Excellence in Tobacco Research, American Society of Preventive Oncology|
|2011||Julie and Ben Rodgers Award for Excellence in Cancer Prevention, Nominee Finalist|
|2009||Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award Nominee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2007||President's Cancer Panel, Promoting Healthy Lifestyles to Reduce the Risk of Cancer|
|2003||Educator of the Month, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1990||Tobacco or Health Medal for and Certificate Research Studies on Smoking Epidemiology and Control Among Children and Adolescents, World Health Organization (WHO)|
- Foster DW, Neighbors C, Prokhorov A. Drinking motives as moderators of the effect of ambivalence on drinking and alcohol-related problems. Addictive Behaviors 39 (1) :133-139, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24094922.
- Corelli RL, Zillich AJ, de Moor C, Giuliano MR, Arnold J, Fenlon CM, Douglas CL, Magnusson B, Zbikowski SM, Prokhorov AV, Hudmon KS. Recruitment of community pharmacies in a randomized trial to generate patient referrals to the tobacco quitline. Res Social Adm Pharm 9 (4) :396-404, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22841641.
- Prokhorov AV, Hudmon KS, Marani SK, Bondy ML, Gatus LA, Spitz MR, Wilkinson AV, Hammond SK, Koehly LM. Eliminating second-hand smoke from Mexican-American households: Outcomes from Project Clean Air-Safe Air (CASA). Addict Behav 38 (1) :1485-1492, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23085392.
- Mays D, Streisand R, Walker LR, Prokhorov, Tercyak KP. Cigarette smoking among adolescents with Type 1 diabetes: strategies for behavioral prevention and intervention. J Diabetes Complications 26 (2) :148-53, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22494839.
- Prokhorov AV, Calabro KC. Commentary on ‘Mass media interventions for preventing smoking in young people’. Evidence-Based Child Health: A Cochrane Review Journal 7 (1) :147-148, 2012.
- Calabro KS, Marani S, Yost T, Segura J, Jones MM, Nelson S, de Moor C, Prokhorov AV. Project SUCCESS: Results from a Randomized Controlled Trial. ISRN Public Health 2012:9, 2012.
- Prokhorov AV, Marani SK, Calabro KS, Ford KH. Theory- and Technology-Driven Educational Curricula Addressing Tobacco Use. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 46:4504-4507, 2012.
- Calabro KC, Prokhorov AV. Respiratory Symptoms After Smoking Cessation among College Students. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology 24 (4) :215-219, 2011.
- Minnix JA, Blalock JA, Marani S, Prokhorov AV, Cinciripini PM. Self-Efficacy Mediates the Effect of Depression on Smoking Susceptibility in Adolescents. Nicotine Tob Res 13 (8) :699-705, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21482619.
- Lipkus IM, Eissenberg T, Schwartz-Bloom RD, Prokhorov AV, Levy J. Affecting perceptions of harm and addiction among college waterpipe tobacco smokers. Nicotine Tob Res 13 (7) :599-610, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21471304.
- Jean RT, Wilkinson AV, Spitz MR, Prokhorov A, Bondy M, Forman MR. Psychosocial Risk and Correlates of Early Menarche in Mexican American Girls. Am J Epidemiol 173 (10) :1203-10, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21454827.
- Patrick K, Wolszon L, Basen-Engquist KM, Demark-Wahnefried W, Prokhorov AV, Barrera S, Baru C, Farcas E, Krueger I, Palmer D, Raab F, Rios P, Ziftci C, Peterson S. CYberinfrastructure for COmparative effectiveness REsearch (CYCORE): improving data from cancer clinical trials. Transl Behav Med 1 (1) :83-88, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21516142.
- Calabro KC, Costello TC, Prokhorov AV. Denormalization of Tobacco Use and the Role of the Pediatric Health-Care Provider. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology 23 (4) :273-278, 2010.
- Prokhorov AV, Kelder SH, Shegog R, Conroy JL, Murray N, Peters R, Cinciripini PM, De Moor C, Hudmon KS, Ford KH. Project ASPIRE: An interactive multimedia smoking prevention and cessation curriculum for culturally diverse high school students. Subst Use Misuse 45 (6) :983-1006, 2010. PMID: 20397881.
- Hudmon KS, Corelli RL, Prokhorov AV. Current approaches to pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation. Ther Adv Respir Dis 4 (1) :35-47, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20056740.
- Wilkinson AV, Spitz MR, Prokhorov AV, Bondy ML, Shete S, Sargent JD. Exposure to smoking imagery in the movies and experimenting with cigarettes among Mexican heritage youth. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18 (12) :3435-3443, 2009. PMID: 19959693.
- Spelman AR, Spitz MR, Kelder SH, Prokhorov AV, Bondy ML, Frankowski RF, Wilkinson AV. Cognitive susceptibility to smoking: two paths to experimenting among Mexican origin youth. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18 (12) :3459-3467, 2009. PMID: 19959696.
- Wilkinson AV, Shete S, Vasudevan V, Prokhorov AV, Bondy ML, Spitz MR. Influence of subjective social status on the relationship between positive outcome expectations and experimentation with cigarettes. J Adolesc Health 44 (4) :342-8, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19306792.
- Prokhorov AV, Kelder SH, Shegog R, Murray N, Peters R, Agurcia-Parker C, Cinciripini PM, de Moor C, Conroy JL, Hudmon KS, Ford KH, Marani S. Impact of A Smoking Prevention Interactive Experience (ASPIRE), an interactive, multimedia smoking prevention and cessation curriculum for culturally diverse high-school students. Nicotine Tob Res 10 (9) :1477-1485, 2008. PMID: 19023839.
- Prokhorov AV, Yost T, Mullin-Jones M, de Moor C, Ford KH, Marani S, Kilfoy BA, Hein JP, Hudmon KS, Emmons KM. "Look At Your Health": Outcomes associated with a computer-assisted smoking cessation counseling intervention for community college students. Addict Behav 33 (6) :757-71, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18280668.
- Wilkinson AV, Shete S, Prokhorov AV. The moderating role of parental smoking on their children's attitudes toward smoking among a predominantly minority sample: a cross-sectional analysis. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 3 (1) :18, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18625061.
- Lipkus IM, Prokhorov AV. The effects of providing lung age and respiratory symptoms: Feedback on community college smokers' perceived smoking-related health risks, worries and desire to quit. Addict Behav 32 (3) :516-32, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16824688.
- Prokhorov AV, Fouladi R, de Moor C, Warneke CL, Luca M, Mullin Jones M, Rosenblum C, Emmons KM, Hudmon KS, Gritz ER. Computer-assisted, counselor-delivered smoking cessation counseling for community college students: Intervention approach and sample characteristics. J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse 16 (3) :35-62, 2007.
- Vidrine DJ, Fletcher FE, Danysh HE, Marani S, Irvin Vidrine J, Cantor SB, Prokhorov AV. A randomized controlled trial to assess the efficacy of an interactive mobile messaging intervention for underserved smokers: Project ACTION. BMC Public Health 12 (1) :696. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22920991.
- Wilkinson AV, Okeke NL, Springer AE, Stigler MH, Gabriel KP, Bondy ML, Prokhorov AV, Spitz MR. Experimenting with cigarettes and physical activity among Mexican origin youth: A cross sectional analysis of the interdependent associations among sensation seeking, acculturation, and gender. BMC Public Health 12 (1) :332. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22559717.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Prokhorov AV, Hudmon KS, Marani S, Foxhall L, Ford KH, Luca NS, Wetter DW, Cantor SB, Vitale F, Gritz ER. Engaging physicians and pharmacists in providing smoking cessation counseling, 2010.
- Prokhorov AV, Alexander V. ASPIRE (A Smoking Prevention Interactive Experience). Internet-based smoking prevention and cessation curriculum for youth, 2005.
- Prokhorov AV (Contributor to MDACC CancerWise on-line article). CD-ROM Curriculum Targets Teen Smoking. CancerWise, 2004.
- Lando HA, Hipple BJ, Muramoto M, Klein JD, Prokhorov AV, Ossip DJ, Winickoff JP. Tobacco is a global paediatric concern. Bull World Health Organ 88 (1) :2, 2010. PMID: 20428341.
- Prokhorov AV, Ford KH, Hudmon KS. Smoking Cessation. In: Lung Cancer. Third Edition. Blackwell Publishing: United Kingdom, 2008.
- Prokhorov AV, Ford KH, Mullin Jones M. Smoking Cessation among College Students: Challenges and Outcomes. In: Smoking Cessation: Theory, Interventions and Prevention. Nova Science Publishers, Inc: Hauppauge, New York, 2008.
- Prokhorov AV. Interventions for high-school and college students guided by the Transtheoretical Model of Change. In: Research on the Transtheoretical Model: Where are we now, where are we going?. Pabst Science Publishers: Lengerich, Germany, 94-96, 2004.
|Title:||Combating Tobacco in the United States Army|
|Funding Source:||Department of Defense (DOD)|
|Title:||Enhancing Cancer Outreach for Low-Income Adults with Innovative Smoking Cessation|
|Title:||Enhanced Smoking Cessation Program for University Students|
|Title:||MyFAP.org: A multimedia intervention for adolescents and young adults with FAP|
|Title:||Web-assisted tobacco interventions for community college students|
|Funding Source:||University of Rochester|
|Title:||Application of Multi-modal Professional Education Platform to Facilitate Physician Tobacco Counseling for Smokers|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||APPSPIRE: expanding the reach of an innovative tobacco control program for youth|
|Title:||ASPIRE (A Smoking Prevention Interactive Experience)|
|Funding Source:||CMS Medicaid Waiver - DSRIP|
|Title:||Implement innovative evidence-based strategies to reduce tobacco use-Multimedia Tools and Community Engagement for Youth Early Tobacco Prevention and Cessation|
|Funding Source:||1115 Medicaid Waiver|