About Dr. Amit K Garg
Amit Garg, MD, serves as the Medical Director of the Presbyterian MD Anderson Radiation Treatment Center at Presbyterian Rust Medical Center and Chief Quality Officer of the Cancer Program at PHS in New Mexico.
He also serves as an associate professor at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He specializes in the treatment of diverse cancers with radiation therapy and is Chairman of the Interdisciplinary Breast Tumor Board at PHS. Dr. Garg’s areas of continued interest include the treatment of select tumors with a highly advanced form of radiation therapy called Stereotactic Radiotherapy for tumors in the brain, spine, lung, liver and elsewhere. He participates in clinical research and is a published author on a variety of cancer-related topics. Dr. Garg is a board certified radiation oncologist.
Dr. Garg received his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. He completed a residency in radiation oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He also has a master’s degree in biomedical ethics from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Radiation Treatment Center, Albuquerque, NM
Medical Director and Physician Site Lead, Department of Presbyterian, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Albuquerque, NM
Chief Quality Officer, Division of Presbyterian Cancer Care, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque, NM
|2004||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2000||Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA, MA, Biomedical Ethics|
|1999||Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA, BA, Biology|
|2005-2009||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010||American Board of Radiology|
Chairman, Interdisciplinary Breast Tumor Board, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque, NM, 2015 - Present
Member, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque, NM, 2013 - Present
Member, Quality Committee, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque, NM, 2013 - Present
Member, Breast Cancer Program Leadership Committee, Albuquerque, NM, 2013 - Present
Hepatobiliary Cancer Leadership Committee, Presbyterian Healthcare Services, Albuquerque, NM, 2013 - Present
Member, Advisory Committee, Presbyterian Hospital System, NAPBC Accreditation Team, Albuquerque, NM, 2012 - Present
Member, Cancer Committee, Presbyterian Hospital System, Albuquerque, NM, 2010 - Present
Board Member, Anna Fallas Breast Cancer Foundation, Albuquerque, NM, 2010 - Present
|2011||Best of ASTRO Presentation, New York Roentgen Society Meeting|
|2006||Montague Resident Research Award|
- Hortobagyi GN, Chen D, Piccart M, Rugo HS, Burris HA, Pritchard KI, Campone M, Noguchi S, Perez AT, Deleu I, Shtivelband M, Masuda N, Dakhil S, Anderson I, Robinson DM, He W, Garg A, McDonald ER, Bitter H, Huang A, Taran T, Bachelot T, Lebrun F, Lebwohl D, Baselga J. Correlative Analysis of Genetic Alterations and Everolimus Benefit in Hormone Receptor-Positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-Negative Advanced Breast Cancer: Results From BOLERO-2. J Clin Oncol 34(5):419-26, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26503204.
- Grant JD, Garg AK, Gopal R, Soliman PT, Jhingran A, Eifel PJ, Klopp AH. Isolated Port-Site Metastases Following Minimally-Invasive Hysterectomy for Endometrial Cancer: Outcomes of Patients Treated with Radiotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25(5):869-74, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25790043.
- Garg AK, Shiu AS, Yang J, Wang XS, Allen P, Brown BW, Grossman P, Frija EK, McAleer MF, Azeem S, Brown PD, Rhines LD, Chang EL. Phase 1/2 trial of single-session stereotactic body radiotherapy for previously unirradiated spinal metastases. Cancer 118(20):5069-77, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22511344.
- Garg AK. Nocebo Side Effects in Cancer Treatment. Lancet Oncol 12(13):1181-2, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21944597.
- Garg AK, Wang XS, Shiu AS, Allen P, Yang J, McAleer MF, Azeem S, Rhines LD, Chang EL. Prospective evaluation of spinal reirradiation by using stereotactic body radiation therapy: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Cancer 117(15):3509-16, 2011. PMID: 21319143.
- Garg AK, Jhingran A, Klopp AH, Aggarwal BB, Kunnumakkara AB, Broadus RR, Eifel PJ, Buchholz TA. Expression of nuclear transcription factor kappa B in locally advanced human cervical cancer treated with definitive chemoradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78(5):1331-6, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20231067.
- Castillo R, Castillo E, Guerra R, Johnson VE, McPhail T, Garg AK, Guerrero T. A framework for evaluation of deformable image registration spatial accuracy using large landmark point sets. Phys Med Biol 54(7):1849-70, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19265208.
- Garg AK, Frija EK, Sun TL, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Oh JL, Yu TK, Woodward WA, Tereffe WA, Salehpour M, Buchholz TA. Effects of variable placement of superior tangential/supraclavicular match line on dosimetric coverage of level III axilla/axillary apex in patients treated with breast and supraclavicular radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73(2):370-4, 2009. PMID: 18676090.
- Garg AK, Oh JL, Oswald MJ, Huang E, Strom EA, Perkins GH, Woodward WA, Yu TK, Tereffe W, Meric-Bernstam F, Hahn K, Buchholz TA. Effect of postmastectomy radiotherapy in patients <35 years old with stage II-III breast cancer treated with doxorubicin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy and mastectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69(5):1478-83, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17855016.
- Garg AK, Mai WY, McGary JE, Grant WH, Butler EB, Teh BS. Radiation proctopathy in the treatment of prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66(5):1294-305, 2006. PMID: 17126204.
- Chandra A, Guerrero TM, Liu HH, Tucker SL, Liao Z, Wang X, Murshed H, Bonnen MD, Garg AK, Stevens CW, Chang JY, Jeter MD, Mohan R, Cox JD, Komaki R. Feasibility of using intensity-modulated radiotherapy to improve lung sparing in treatment planning for distal esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol 77(3):247-53, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16298001.
- Buchholz TA, Garg AK, Chakravarti N, Aggarwal BB, Esteva FJ, Kuerer HM, Singletary SE, Hortobagyi GN, Pusztai L, Cristofanilli M, Sahin AA. The nuclear transcription factor kappaB/bcl-2 pathway correlates with pathologic complete response to doxorubicin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in human breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 11(23):8398-402, 2005. PMID: 16322301.
- Garg AK, Buchholz TA, Aggarwal BB. Chemosensitization and radiosensitization of tumors by plant polyphenols. Antioxidant Redox Signal 7(11-12):1630-47, 2005. PMID: 16356126.
- Garg AK, Strom EA, McNeese MD, Buzdar AU, Hortobagyi GN, Kuerer HM, Perkins GH, Singletary SE, Hunt KK, Sahin A, Schechter N, Valero V, Tucker SL, Buchholz TA. T3 disease at presentation or pathologic involvement of four or more lymph nodes predict for locoregional recurrence in stage II breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and mastectomy without radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59(1):138-45, 2004. PMID: 15093909.
- Garg AK, Hortobagyi GN, Aggarwal BB, Sahin AA, Buchholz TA. Nuclear factor-kappa B as a predictor of treatment response in breast cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 15(6):405-11, 2003. PMID: 14624221.
- Younes A, Garg A, Aggarwal BB. Nuclear transcription factor-kappaB in Hodgkin's disease. Leuk Lymphoma 44(6):929-35, 2003. PMID: 12854890.
- Garg AK, Aggarwal BB. Reactive oxygen intermediates in TNF signaling. Mol Immunol 39(9):509-17, 2002. PMID: 12431383.
- Garg A, Aggarwal BB. Nuclear transcription factor-kappaB as a target for cancer drug development. Leukemia 16(6):1053-68, 2002. PMID: 12040437.
- Milano MT, Chiang VLS, Soltys SG, Wang TJC, Lo SS, Brackett A, Nagpal S, Chao S, Garg AK, Jabbari S, Halasz LM, Gephart MH, Knisely JPS, Sahgal A, Chang EL. Executive Summary from American Radium Society's Appropriate Use Criteria on Neurocognition after stereotactic radiosurgery for multiple brain metastases. Neuro Oncol. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32780818.
- Garg AK. Community-based Cancer Care Quality and Expertise in a COVID-19 Era and Beyond. Am J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32520792.
- Garg AK, Buchholz TA. Influence of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy on Radiotherapy for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 22(5):1434-40, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25727554.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- . Quality Assurance for Stereotactic Radiotherapy in the Regional Setting, Stereotactic Radiotherapy Guidelines, 2011.
- . Stereotactic Radiotherapy/Radiosurgery in the Regional Care Center Setting, Stereotactic Spine Technology Development Plan, 2011.
- . Training Guidelines for Stereotactic Radiotherapy in the Regional Setting, Stereotactic Spine Technology Development Plan, 2011.
- Garg AK, Bloom ES Transitioning Breast Cancer Care from the Academic to the Community Setting Breast Diseases. A Yearbook Quarterly 22(2):118-121, 2011.
- Garg, AK, Buchholz TA, Aggarwal BB. Chapter 22. Effects of natural polyphenols on chemoradiotherapy in cancer. In: Herbal Medicine: A cancer chemopreventive and therapeutic perspective. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2010.
- Garg AK, Aggarwal BB. Chapter XIV: Nuclear transcription factor kappa B; A drug target for all seasons. In: Apoptotic pathways as targets for novel therapies in cancer and other diseases, 297-322, 2005.