About Dr. Rashid
Dr. Anis Rashid is an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at MD Anderson Cancer Center where she serves as Director of Education and Rotation Site Director. Her main focus is drug-drug interaction, maintaining a high standard of patient care, and to enhance knowledge and skill through education. To achieve these goals, Dr. Rashid has developed a monthly educational activity in the Department of Psychiatry. During this CME approved activity, speakers from various MD Anderson departments are invited to share their experience and knowledge. Dr. Rashid also runs a journal club to familiarize clinicians with novel technologies, medications and therapies. She also developed a Psychosocial Oncology Grand Rounds to improve patient care by promoting knowledge among all clinicians involved in patient care. Dr. Rashid has represented the institution in many national and international meetings designed to improve cancer care. She has also been involved with clinical research and developed protocols to study side effects of medications in cancer patients and the benefits of Integrative Approach in Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic.
Dual Joint Appointment:
Associate Professor at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
Associate Professor at University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Rotation Site Director, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director of Education, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX
|1977||University of Karachi, Karachi, PAK, MD, Medicine|
|2004-2005||Clinical Fellowship, Psychosomatic Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2004-2005||Clinical Fellowship, Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2004||Clinical Residency, Assertive Community Treatment Team, Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX|
|2002-2004||Clinical Residency, Psychiatry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX|
|2000-2002||Clinical Residency, Psychiatry, Louisiana State University Health Science Center, New Orleans, LA|
|1999-2000||Clinical Fellowship, Herbert J. Frensley Science Center, Houston, TX|
|1978-1983||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, K.V. Hospital, Karachi|
|2009||American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Subspecialty in Psychosomatic Medicine|
|2007||American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology|
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2012
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Office of Graduate Medical Education Faculty Development Subcommittee - Clinical Learning Environment, 2014 - Present
Member, Graduate Medical Education Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Division Council on Gender Inclusiveness Subcommittee, 2014 - Present
Member, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff, 2012 - Present
Department Ambassador, ICD-10 and Physician Ambassador Program, 2011 - Present
Department Liaison, Women Faculty Program, 2010 - Present
Member, Travel Affairs Committee, 2009 - Present
Member, The Joint Commission, 2008 - Present
Member, Continuing Medical Education Advisory Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, Clinical Ethics Committee, 2008 - 2009
Member, Faculty Senate, 2007 - 2010
Member, Credentials Committee for the Medical Staff, 2007 - 2010
|2013||Clinical Safety & Effectiveness Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||Certificate of Appreciation for an Outstanding Provider Ambassador, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Taber KY, Rashid A, Hurley RA. Functional anatomy of central pain. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 13:437-440, 2001.
- Rashid A, Yaqeen H. Role of interferon in the treatment of colon cancer. Pakistan Medical Journal, 1980.
- Torres HA, Roach LR, Mahale P, Economides MP, Blechacz B, Miller E, Borchardt R, Rashid A, Oo TH, Shukla B, Farida M, Ericsson CD, Granwehr BP, Raad II. Transdisciplinary approach to managing hepatitis C virus infection in patients at a tertiary care cancer center. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 14(9):1185-1188. e-Pub 2016.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Rashid A. Student Handbook, 2013.
- Rashid A. Resident Handbook, 2013.
- Rashid A. Teaching Syllabus CD for Residents and Students, 2012.
- Rashid A. Teaching Syllabus CD for Residents and Students, 2007.
- Rashid A Surviving the emotional roller coaster of cancer. Coping with Cancer:,8, 2014.
- Stouter DK, Wallace A, Duffy J, Rashid A, Valentine A Long coats, short coats and no coats: chaplaincy presents to psychiatry at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. J Pastoral Care Counsel 66(1), 2012.
- De La Garza II R, Ignatius J, Gonzalez R, Lynn R, Rashid A, Tan D, Bell M, Valentine A. The importance of race and ethnicity in depression, anxiety and distress in cancer patients (abst. 18-1). Psychooncology 25(2):55-56, 2016.
- Rashid A, De La Garza II R. Race and ethnicity influence magnitude of psychiatry symptoms in cancer patients (abst. 112). Psychooncology 25(3), 2016.
- Rashid A, Makanjuola TB, Saryakar S, Valentine AD, De La Garza II, R. Sleep disturbances predict higher levels of depression, anxiety and fatigue in cancer patients (abst. 15-3). Psychooncology 25(2):51-52, 2016.
- Rashid A. Management of anxiety in geriatric cancer patients. Proceedings of the World Congress of Psycho-Oncolgy, 2015.
- De La Garza, II, R, Thekdi, S,Rashid A, Lynn, R, Ignatius, J, Gonzalez, R, Tan, D, Rickman, K, Hughes, M, Joseph, N, Onyemeh Sea, A, Smith, C, Bell, M, Valentine, A. Characterization of demographics and psychiatric symptoms in 500 patients enrolled in the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Psychiatry Patient Registry Protocol (abst P1-112). Psychooncology 24(2):163, 2015.
- Ignatius, J, Bell, M,Rashid A, Thekdi, S, De La Garza, R, Nichols, D, Valentine, A. Psychcare database: development and implementation (abst P1-128). Psychooncology 24(2), 2015.
- Rashid A, De La Garza II, R, Joseph N, Onyemeh Sea, A, Valentine A. Correlations of high edmonton symptom assessment scale scores to demographic and other variables (abst P1-122). Psychooncology 24(2):168, 2015.
- Rashid A. Akathisia: medication-induced movement disorder with anxiety. A new look at an old malady. Proceedings of the American Psychiatric Association 167th Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Rashid A. Incidence and characteristics of depression in cancer patients with chronic hepatitis C infection. Journal of Clinical Oncology 32 (suppl; abstr e20569, 2014.
- Rashid A, De La Garza II, R. Integrative approach counseling in the outpatient psychiatry clinic (abst P1-0018). Psychooncology 23(3):229, 2014.
- Rashid A, Shah, A, Scheurmeyer, I, Walker, P. Pharmacological management of cancer patients: focus on drug-drug interactions (abst S14-0031). Psychooncology 23(3):43, 2014.
- Rashid A. Management of anxiety and depression in newly diagnosed cancer patients (abst S14-0029). Psychooncology 23(3):43, 2014.
- Rashid A. Reducing "no-show-rate" in the outpatient psychiatric oncology clinic (abst P2.70). Psychooncology 23(1):142, 2014.
- Rashid A. General principles of psychopharmacology with focus on drug-drug interactions. Proceedings of the American Psychiatric Association 166th Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Rashid A. Psychotherapy and psychopharmacology in patients with cancer: practical considerations from diagnosis to the palliative phases. Proceedings of the American Psychiatric Association 166th Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Rashid A. Akathisia: medication induced motor restlessness and anxiety in cancer patients (abst 14-2). Psychooncology 22(2):31-32, 2013.
- Rashid A. Promoting healthy ageing in depressed elderly patients. Proceedings of the 1st World Congress on Healthy Ageing, 2012.
- Rashid A. Evidence based nutrition recommendations in cancer patients and survivors. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Translational Cancer Research: Recent Developments in Cancer Prevention, 2011.
- Rashid A. Dilemmas faced by physicians when treating critically ill family members. Proceedings of the 5th Annual American Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference, 2008.
- Rashid A, Valentine A. Psychiatric consultations for cancer patients evacuated from hurricane katrina. Proceedings of the 4th Annual American Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference, 2007.
- Rashid A, Baile WF. Sundowning in cancer patients: delirium by another name. Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Psycho-Oncology Society, 2006.
- Rashid A, Baile WF. Off label use in psychotropic mecication in C-L psychiatry. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual American Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference, 2006.
- Gonzalez R, Thekdi S,Rashid A. Psychiatry and oncologic emergencies. In: Oncology Emergency Medicine: Principles and Practice. Springer, 2016.
- Walker P, Rashid A. Anxiety and depression. In: Oxford American Handbook of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Supportive Care. Second Edition, 2016.
- Rashid A. Nutrition in cancer: evidence based nutrition recommendations in cancer patients and survivors. In: Perspectives in Cancer Prevention - Translational Cancer Research, 1-7, 2014.
- Rashid A. Anxiety in cancer patients. In: The MD Anderson Handbook of Psychosocial Oncology. McGraw-Hill: New York, 71-85, 2010.
Letters to the Editor
- Rashid A, Valentine A. Charles Bonnet Syndrome as a manifestation of leptomeningeal metastases. Psychosomatics 51: 447, 2010.