About Dr. Fang
Dr. Bingliang Fang was born in Zhejiang, China. He received a Bachelor of Medicine from Zhejiang Medical University in 1982, and a Master of Medical Science from the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and the Peking Union Medical College in Beijing in 1985. In 1989, Dr. Fang received a Doctor of Medicine degree from Hamburg University in Germany, and then returned to the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and the Peking Union Medical College, where he was promoted to Assistant Professor.
1992, he joined the Department of Cell Biology of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, as a Research Associate where he worked on gene therapy of genetic disorders. He joined The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, as an Assistant Professor and Assistant Biologist in the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery in 1995. Dr. Fang is a member of American Association for Cancer Research and American Chemical Society.
Professor, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1989||Hamburg University Insitute of Human Genetics, Hamburg, DEU, PHD, Molecular Genetics|
|1985||Institute Basic Medicine Sci - China Acad Med Sci & Peking Union Med College, Bejing, CHN, MMS, Medicine Genetics|
|1982||Zhejiang Medical University, Zhejiang, CHN, BM, Medicine|
|1993||Post-Doctoral Fellow Award, Society of Chinese Geneticists in America|
|1986||Boehringer Ingelheim Fellowship|
- White L, Wu S, Ma J, Fang B, Liang D. Simultaneous determination and validation of oncrasin-266 and its metabolites by HPLC-MS/MS: Application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromayogr b Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 1033-1034:106-111, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27541624.
- Ji H, Wang J, Fang B, Fang X, Lu Z. a-Catenin inhibits glioma cell migration, invasion, and proliferation by suppression of ß-catenin transactivation. J Neurooncol 103 (3) :445-51, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20872274.
- Dai B, Meng J, Peyton M, Girard L, Bornmann WG, Ji L, Minna JD, Fang B, Roth JA. STAT3 mediates resistance to MEK inhibitor through microRNA miR-17. Cancer Res 71 (10) :3658-68, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21444672.
- Wu S, Wang L, Guo W, Liu X, Liu J, Wei X, Fang B. Analogues and Derivatives of Oncrasin-1, a Novel Inhibitor of the C-Terminal Domain of RNA Polymerase II and Their Antitumor Activities. J Med Chem 54 (8) :2668-79, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21443218.
- Guo W, Wei X, Wu S, Wang L, Peng H, Wang J, Fang B. Antagonistic effect of flavonoids on NSC-741909-mediated antitumor activity via scavenging of reactive oxygen species. Eur J Pharmacol 649 (1-3) :51-8, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20854805.
- Pataer A, Raso MG, Correa AM, Behrens C, Tsuta K, Solis L, Fang B, Roth JA, Wistuba II, Swisher SG. Prognostic significance of RNA-dependent protein kinase on non-small cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 16 (22) :5522-8, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20930042.
- Zhou Y, Hofstetter WL, He Y, Hu W, Pataer A, Wang L, Wang J, Zhou Y, Yu L, Fang B, Swisher SG. KLF4 inhibition of lung cancer cell invasion by suppression of SPARC expression. Cancer Biol Ther 9 (7) :507-13, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20215880.
- Ziauddin MF, Guo ZS, O'Malley ME, Austin F, Popovic PJ, Kavanagh MA, Li J, Sathaiah M, Thirunavukarasu P, Fang B, Lee YJ, Bartlett DL. TRAIL gene-armed oncolytic poxvirus and oxaliplatin can work synergistically against colorectal cancer. Gene Ther 17 (4) :550-9, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20182517.
- Wei X, Guo W, Wu S, Wang L, Huang P, Liu J, Fang B. Oxidative stress in NSC-741909-induced apoptosis of cancer cells. J Transl Med 8:37, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20398386.
- Meng J, Fang B, Liao Y, Chresta CM, Smith PD, Roth JA. Apoptosis induction by MEK inhibition in human lung cancer cells is mediated by Bim. PLoS One 5 (9) :e13026, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20885957.
- Meng J, Dai B, Fang B, Bekele BN, Bornmann WG, Sun D, Peng Z, Herbst RS, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Minna JD, Peyton M, Roth JA. Combination treatment with MEK and AKT inhibitors is more effective than each drug alone in human non-small cell lung cancer in vitro and in vivo. PLoS One 5 (11) :e14124, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21124782.
- Meng J, Peng H, Dai B, Guo W, Wang L, Ji L, Minna JD, Chresta CM, Smith PD, Fang B, Roth JA. High level of AKT activity is associated with resistance to MEK inhibitor AZD6244 (ARRY-142886). Cancer Biol Ther 8 (21) :2073-80, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19783898.
- Ji H, Wang J, Nika H, Hawke D, Keezer S, Ge Q, Fang B, Fang X, Fang D, Litchfield DW, Aldape K, Lu Z. EGF-induced ERK activation promotes CK2-mediated disassociation of alpha-Catenin from beta-Catenin and transactivation of beta-Catenin. Mol Cell 36 (4) :547-59, 2009. PMID: 19941816.
- Hu W, Hofstetter WL, Li H, Zhou Y, He Y, Pataer A, Wang L, Xie K, Swisher SG, Fang B. Putative tumor-suppressive function of Kruppel-like factor 4 in primary lung carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 15 (18) :5688-95, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19737957.
- Wei X, Guo W, Wu S, Wang L, Lu Y, Xu B, Liu J, Fang B. Inhibiting JNK dephosphorylation and induction of apoptosis by novel anticancer agent NSC-741909 in cancer cells. J Biol Chem 284 (25) :16948-55, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19414586.
- Guo W, Wu S, Wang L, Wang RY, Wei X, Liu J, Fang B. Interruption of RNA processing machinery by a small compound, 1-[(4-chlorophenyl)methyl]-1H-indole-3-carboxaldehyde (oncrasin-1). Mol Cancer Ther 8 (2) :441-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19208825.
- Guo W, Wu S, Liu J, Fang B. Identification of a small molecule with synthetic lethality for K-ras and protein kinase C iota. Cancer Res 68 (18) :7403-8, 2008. PMID: 18794128.
- Hu W, Hofstetter W, Guo W, Li H, Pataer A, Peng HH, Guo ZS, Bartlett DL, Lin A, Swisher SG, Fang B. JNK-deficiency enhanced oncolytic vaccinia virus replication and blocked activation of double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase. Cancer Gene Ther 15 (9) :616-24, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18535619.
- Shamimi-Noori S, Yeow WS, Ziauddin MF, Xin H, Tran TL, Xie J, Loehfelm A, Patel P, Yang J, Schrump DS, Fang BL, Nguyen DM. Cisplatin enhances the antitumor effect of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand gene therapy via recruitment of the mitochondria-dependent death signaling pathway. Cancer Gene Ther 15 (6) :356-70, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18309355.
- Wu Y, Fang B, Yang XQ, Wang L, Chen D, Krasnykh V, Carter BZ, Morris JS, Shureiqi I. Therapeutic molecular targeting of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colon cancer. Mol Ther 16 (5) :886-92, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18388920.
- Wagener M, Zhang X, Villarreal HG, Levy L, Allen P, Shentu S, Fang B, Krishnan S, Chang JY, Cheung MR. Effect of combining anti-epidermal growth factor receptor antibody C225 and radiation on DU145 prostate cancer. Oncol Rep 19 (5) :1071-7, 2008. PMID: 18425360.
- Zhang X, Komaki R, Wang L, Fang B, Chang JY. Treatment of radioresistant stem-like esophageal cancer cells by an apoptotic gene-armed, telomerase-specific oncolytic adenovirus. Clin Cancer Res 14 (9) :2813-23, 2008. PMID: 18451249.
- Zhou H, Wu S, Zhai S, Liu A, Sun Y, Li R, Zhang Y, Ekins S, Swaan PW, Fang B, Zhang B, Yan B. Design, synthesis, cytoselective toxicity, structure-activity relationships, and pharmacophore of thiazolidinone derivatives targeting drug-resistant lung cancer cells. J Med Chem 51 (5) :1242-51, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18257542.
- Hu W, Davis JJ, Zhu H, Dong F, Guo W, Ang J, Peng H, Guo ZS, Bartlett DL, Swisher SG, Fang B. Redirecting adaptive immunity against foreign antigens to tumors for cancer therapy. Cancer Biol Ther 6 (11) :1773-9, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17986853.
- Zhu H, Zhu Y, Hu J, Hu W, Liao Y, Zhang J, Wang D, Huang X, Fang B, He C. Adenovirus-mediated small hairpin RNA targeting Bcl-XL as therapy for colon cancer. Int J Cancer 121 (6) :1366-72, 2007. PMID: 17534896.
- Deng WG, Nishizaki M, Fang B, Roth JA, Ji L. Induction of apoptosis by tumor suppressor FHIT via death receptor signaling pathway in human lung cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355 (4) :993-9, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17328863.
- Hannay J, Davis JJ, Yu D, Liu J, Fang B, Pollock RE, Lev D. Isolated limb perfusion: a novel delivery system for wild-type p53 and fiber-modified oncolytic adenoviruses to extremity sarcoma. Gene Ther 14 (8) :671-81, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17287860.
- Dai B, Fang B, Roth JA. RNAi-Induced Synthetic Lethality in Cancer Therapy. Cancer Biol Ther 8 (23) :2314-6, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19949302.
- Guo ZS, Li Q, Bartlett DL, Yang JY, Fang B. Gene transfer: the challenge of regulated gene expression. Trends Mol Med, 2008. PMID: 18692441.
- Guo W, Fang B. Potentiation of oncolytic virotherapy with armed shRNA. Cancer Biol Ther 8 (1) . e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19127117.
- Guo W, Fang B. Enhancing anti-cancer virotherapy with heat-shock protein-mediated immune response. Cancer Biol Ther 7 (2) :196-7. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 8347427.
- Fang B, Roth JA. Tumour-suppressor gene therapy. In: Viral Therapy of Cancer. 1. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Rochester, MN, 229-239, 2008.
- Fang B, Roth JA. Adenovirus-mediated cancer gene therapy. In: Gene Therapy for Cancer: Cancer Drug Discovery and Development. 1st. Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, 3-22, 2007.
- Zhang L, Fang B. Oncogenes, Tumor Suppressor Genes and Apoptosis-Inducing Genes Utilized in Cancer Gene Therapy. In: Gene Therapy for Cancer: Cancer Drug Discovery and Development. 1st. Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, 173-184, 2007.
- Zhang L, Fang B. Gene therapy targeting receptor-mediated cell death to concers. In: Death Receptors in Cancer Therapy. Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, 339-354, 2005.