About Dr. Glisson
Dr Glisson holds an Ashbel Smith Professorship in the University of Texas System and has received numerous honors and awards for education and mentoring. She has been listed numerous times in the “The Best Doctors in America” and “America’s Top Doctors”. She is a member of the American Association for Cancer Research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer, and the American Head and Neck Society. Dr Glisson has given numerous lectures and has published dozens of articles and abstracts.
Professor of Medicine & Internist, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Chair, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Abell-Hanger Foundation Distinguished Professor, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Tumor-specific research interests are squamous cancer of head and neck, especially HPV-positive oropharynx cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer, small cell lung cancer, and squamous/basal skin cancer.
Treatment-specific settings of most interest are combination immune-oncology studies as well as their r integration into established regimens of chemotherapy and radiation/chemoradiation.
|1979||Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1976||Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA, Graduate School, Graduate School|
|1975||Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA, BS, Human Nutrition|
|1971||Central-Hower High School, Akron, OH, USA, High School Diploma, (Class Valedictorian)|
|1983-1985||Research Fellowship, Pharmacology and Medical Oncology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL|
|1982-1983||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology and Medical Oncology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL|
|1979-1982||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA|
- Massarelli E, Ferrarotto R, Glisson BS. New Strategies in Human Papillomavirus-Related Oropharynx Cancer: Effecting Advances in Treatment for a Growing Epidemic. Clin Cancer Res 21(17):3821-8, 2015. PMID: 26330505.
- Mazumdar T, Byers LA, Ng PK, Mills GB, Peng S, Diao L, Fan YH, Stemke-Hale K, Heymach JV, Myers JN, Glisson BS, Johnson FM. A Comprehensive Evaluation of Biomarkers Predictive of Response to PI3K Inhibitors and of Resistance Mechanisms in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Mol Cancer Ther 13(11):2738-50, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25193510.
- Mak MP, Glisson BS. Is there still a role for induction chemotherapy in locally advanced head and neck cancer?. Curr Opin Oncol 26(3):247-51, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24651382.
- Kris MG, Johnson BE, Berry LD, Kwiatkowski DJ, Iafrate AJ, Wistuba II, Varella-Garcia M, Franklin WA, Aronson SL, Su PF, Shyr Y, Camidge DR, Sequist LV, Glisson BS, Khuri FR, Garon EB, Pao W, Rudin C, Schiller J, Haura EB, Socinski M, Shirai K, Chen H, Giaccone G, Ladanyi M, Kugler K, Minna JD, Bunn PA. Using multiplexed assays of oncogenic drivers in lung cancers to select targeted drugs. JAMA 311(19):1998-2006, 2014. PMID: 24846037.
- Shin DH, Lee HJ, Min HY, Choi SP, Lee MS, Lee JW, Johnson FM, Mehta K, Lippman SM, Glisson BS, Lee HY. Combating Resistance to Anti-IGFR Antibody by Targeting the Integrin β3-Src Pathway. J Natl Cancer Inst 105(20):1558-70, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24092920.
- Forastiere AA, Zhang Q, Weber RS, Maor MH, Goepfert H, Pajak TF, Morrison W, Glisson B, Trotti A, Ridge JA, Thorstad W, Wagner H, Ensley JF, Cooper JS. Long-Term Results of RTOG 91-11: A Comparison of Three Nonsurgical Treatment Strategies to Preserve the Larynx in Patients With Locally Advanced Larynx Cancer. J Clin Oncol 31(7):845-52, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23182993.
- Oh SH, Kim WY, Lee OH, Kang JH, Woo JK, Kim JH, Glisson B, Lee HY. IGFBP-3 suppresses VEGF expression and tumor angiogenesis in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Sci 103(7):1259-66, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22494072.
- Lewis CM, Glisson BS, Feng L, Wan F, Tang X, Wistuba II, El-Naggar AK, Rosenthal DI, Chambers MS, Lustig RA, Weber RS. A Phase II Study of Gefitinib for Aggressive Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Clin Cancer Res 18(5):1435-46, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22261807.
- William WN, Glisson BS. Novel strategies for the treatment of small-cell lung carcinoma. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 8(10):611-9, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21691321.
- Glisson BS, Moran CA. Large-cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: controversies in diagnosis and treatment. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 9(10):1122-9, 2011. PMID: 21975912.
- William WN, Uyeki J, Johnson FM, Feng L, Peeples BO, Fossella FV, Karp DD, Blumenschein GR, Stewart DJ, Glisson BS. Weekly alternating therapy with irinotecan plus cisplatin and etoposide plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with extensive small cell lung carcinoma. Cancer 116(10):2409-15, 2010. PMID: 20225329.
- Tsao AS, Garden AS, Kies MS, Morrison W, Feng L, Lee JJ, Khuri F, Zinner R, Myers J, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Lewin J, Clayman GL, Ang KK, Glisson BS. Phase I/II study of docetaxel, cisplatin, and concomitant boost radiation for locally advanced squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol 24(25):4163-9, 2006. PMID: 16943532.
- Johnson FM, Krug LM, Tran HT, Shoaf S, Prieto VG, Tamboli P, Peeples B, Patel J, Glisson BS. Phase I studies of imatinib mesylate combined with cisplatin and irinotecan in patients with small cell lung carcinoma. Cancer 106(2):366-74, 2006. PMID: 16342249.
- Johnson FM, Garden AS, Palmer JL, Shin DM, Morrison W, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Khuri F, Clayman G, Goepfert H, Ang KK, Hong WK, Glisson BS. A phase I/II study of neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by radiation with boost chemotherapy for advanced T-stage nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63(3):717-24, 2005. PMID: 16199307.