About Dr. Hobbs
Brian P. Hobbs, Ph.D., holds the academic appointment of Assistant Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) in Houston, Texas. His recent publications have established methodological frameworks for facilitating various scientific applications: platform and basket trial design, group sequential design based on time-to-treatment failure and total toxicity burden, Bayesian predictive approaches for personalized treatment selection, integrative analysis of imaging features and genetics, and tissue characterization based on quantitative imaging data. Methods from several of Dr. Hobbs’ publications have been translated into user-friendly software ( http://research.mdacc.tmc.edu/SmeeactWeb ) providing tools for data analysis, design, and conduct of adaptive trials. Through multidisciplinary collaboration with investigators at MDACC, he’s further contributed to the biomedical sciences, predominately in areas related to cancer imaging as well as through implementation of systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Dr. Hobbs completed his undergraduate education at The University of Iowa. As a graduate student at The University of Minnesota, he completed an internship in biostatistics at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Thereafter, he obtained a master’s and doctoral degree in biostatistics at The University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. The International Biometric Society, ENAR, recognized his thesis work, bestowing on him the John Van Ryzin Award of 2010 for best paper submitted to the Eastern North American Region (ENAR) distinguished student paper award competition. Dr. Hobbs completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Biostatistics at MD Anderson Cancer Center before joining the faculty in 2011. In February 2016, he was selected by The University of Minnesota for the Emerging Leader Award, an honor bestowed upon alumni on the basis of impactful contributions within 10 years of graduating from one of the School of Public Health’s programs.
Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics, Division of Quantitative Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Bayesian inference and prediction
Adaptive and sequential clinical trial design
Personalized treatment selection
Integrative imaging and genomics
|2010||University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA, PHD, Biostatistics|
|2007||University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA, MS, Biostatistics|
|2004||University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA, BA, Anthropology|
|2004||University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA, Minor, Computer Science|
Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Quantitative Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2011
- Goepfert RP, Lewin JS, Barrow MP, Fuller CD, Lai SY, Song J, Hobbs BP, Gunn GB, Beadle BM, Rosenthal DI, Garden AS, Kies MS, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Schwartz DL, Hutcheson KA. Predicting two-year longitudinal MD Anderson Dysphagia Inventory outcomes after intensity modulated radiotherapy for locoregionally advanced oropharyngeal carcinoma. Laryngoscope 127 (4) :842-848, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27440393.
- Hobbs BP, Thall PF, Lin SH. Bayesian group sequential clinical trial design using total toxicity burden and progression-free survival. J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat 65 (2) :273-297, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 27034510.
- Murray TA, Hobbs BP, Sargent DJ, Carlin BP. Flexible Bayesian survival modeling with semiparametric time-dependent and shape-restricted covariate effects. Bayesian Anal 11 (2) :381-402, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 27042243.
- Ma J, Stingo FC, Hobbs BP. Bayesian predictive modeling for genomic based personalized treatment selection. Biometrics 72 (2) :575-83, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26575856.
- Azadeh S, Hobbs BP, Ma L, Nielsen DA, Moeller FG, Baladandayuthapani V. Integrative Bayesian Analysis of Neuroimaging-Genetic Data with Application to Cocaine Dependence. Neuroimage 125:813-24, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26484829.
- Kamali F, Wang WL, Guadagnolo BA, Fox PS, Lewis VO, Lazar AJ, Conley AP, Ravi V, Toliyat M, Ladha HS, Hobbs BP, Amini B. MRI may be used as a prognostic indicator in patients with extra-abdominal desmoid tumours. Br J Radiol 89 (1058) :20150308, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26577289.
- Rauch GM, Hobbs BP, Kuerer HM, Scoggins ME, Benveniste AP, Park YM, Caudle AS, Fox PS, Smith BD, Adrada BE, Krishnamurthy S, Yang WT. Microcalcifications in 1657 Patients with Pure Ductal Carcinoma in Situ of the Breast: Correlation with Clinical, Histopathologic, Biologic Features, and Local Recurrence. Ann Surg Oncol 23 (2) :482-9, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26416712.
- Caudle AS, Yang WT, Krishnamurthy S, Mittendorf EA, Black DM, Gilcrease MZ, Bedrosian I, Hobbs BP, DeSnyder SM, Hwang RF, Adrada BE, Shaitelman SF, Chavez-MacGregor M, Smith BD, Candelaria RP, Babiera GV, Dogan BE, Santiago L, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Improved Axillary Evaluation Following Neoadjuvant Therapy for Patients With Node-Positive Breast Cancer Using Selective Evaluation of Clipped Nodes: Implementation of Targeted Axillary Dissection. J Clin Oncol 34 (10) :1072-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26811528.
- Etchebehere EC, Hobbs BP, Milton DR, Malawi O, Patel S, Benjamin RS, Macapinlac HA. Assessing the role of ¹ F-FDG PET and ¹ F-FDG PET/CT in the diagnosis of soft tissue musculoskeletal malignancies: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 43 (5) :860-70, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26631240.
- Azadeh S, Hobbs BP, Ma L, Nielsen D, Moeller FG, Baladandayuthapani V. Integrative Bayesian analysis of neuroimaging-genetic data through hierarchical dimension reduction. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging Apr:824-28, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Zhao H, Hobbs BP, Ma H, Jiang Q, Carlin BP. Combining non-randomized and randomized data in clinical trials using commensurate priors. Health Serv Outcomes Res Method:1-18, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Wang Y, Hobbs BP, Hu J, Ng CS, Do KA. Predictive classification of correlated targets with application to detection of metastatic cancer using functional CT imaging. Biometrics 71 (3) :792-802, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25851056.
- Murray TA, Hobbs BP, Carlin BP. Combining nonexchangeable functional or survival data sources in oncology using generalized mixture commensurate priors. Ann Appl Stat 9 (3) :1549-1570, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26557211.
- Tan CH, Hobbs BP, Wei W, Kundra V. Dynamic contrast enhanced MRI for the detection of prostate cancer: meta-analysis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 204 (4) :W439-48, 2015. PMID: 25794093.
- Castillo SJ, Castillo R, Castillo E, Pan T, Ibbott G, Balter P, Hobbs B, Guerrero T. Evaluation of 4D CT acquisition methods designed to reduce artifacts. J Appl Clin Med Phys 16 (2) :4949, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26103169.
- Ravoori MK, Nishimura M, Singh SP, Lu C, Han L, Hobbs BP, Pradeep S, Choi HJ, Bankson JA, Sood AK, Kundra V. Tumor T1 relaxation time for assessing response to bevacizumab anti-angiogenic therapy in a mouse ovarian cancer model. PLoS One 10 (6) :e0131095, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26098849.
- Ma J, Hobbs BP, Stingo FC. Statistical methods for establishing personalized treatment rules in oncology. Biomed Res Int 2015 (Article ID 670691, invited submission) :670691, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26446492.
- Hobbs BP, Ng CS. Inferring stable acquisition durations for applications of perfusion imaging in oncology. Cancer Inform 14 (invited submission) :193-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26052222.
- Caudle AS, Yang WT, Mittendorf EA, Black DM, Hwang R, Hobbs B, Hunt KK, Krishnamurthy S, Kuerer HM. Selective surgical localization of axillary lymph nodes containing metastases in patients with breast cancer: a prospective feasibility trial. JAMA Surg 150 (2) :137-43, 2015. PMID: 25517573.
- Ng CS, Hobbs BP, Wei W, Anderson EF, Herron DH, Yao JC, Chandler AG. Effect on Perfusion Values of Sampling Interval of Computed Tomographic Perfusion Acquisitions in Neuroendocrine Liver Metastases and Normal Liver. J Comput Assist Tomogr 39 (3) :373-82, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25626401.
- Castillo R, Pham N, Castillo E, Aso-Gonzalez S, Ansari S, Hobbs B, Palacio D, Skinner H, Guerrero TM. Pre-Radiation Therapy Fluorine 18 Fluorodeoxyglucose PET Helps Identify Patients with Esophageal Cancer at High Risk for Radiation Pneumonitis. Radiology 275 (3) :140457, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25584706.
- Wang Y, Hobbs BP, Ng CS. CT perfusion characteristics identify metastatic sites in liver. Biomed Res Int 2015:120749, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26509144.
- Hobbs BP. On nonparametric hazard estimation. J Biom Biostat 6, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26509102.
- Raghav KP, Mahajan S, Yao JC, Hobbs BP, Berry DA, Pentz RD, Tam A, Hong WK, Ellis LM, Abbruzzese J, Overman MJ. From protocols to publications: a study in selective reporting of outcomes in randomized trials in oncology. J Clin Oncol 33 (31) :3583-90, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26304898.
- Rohren EM, Etchebehere EC, Araujo JC, Hobbs BP, Swanston NM, Everding M, Moody T, Macapinlac HA. Determination of skeletal tumor burden on 18F-Fluoride-PET/CT. J Nucl Med 56 (10) :1507-12, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26135112.
- Fronczyk KM, Guindani M, Hobbs BP, Ng CS, Vannucci M. A Bayesian Nonparametric Approach for Functional Data Classification with Application to Hepatic Tissue Characterization. Cancer Inform 14 (Suppl 5) :151-62, 2015. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27279730.
- Ding Y, Hazle JD, Mohamed AS, Frank SJ, Hobbs BP, Colen RR, Gunn GB, Wang J, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Garden AS, Lai SY, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Intravoxel incoherent motion imaging kinetics during chemoradiotherapy for human papillomavirus-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx: preliminary results from a prospective pilot study. NMR Biomed 28 (12) :1645-54, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26451969.
- Viele K, Berry S, Neuenschwander B, Amzal B, Chen F, Enas N, Hobbs BP, Ibrahim JG, Kinnersley N, Lindborg S, Micallef S, Roychoudhury S, Thompson L. Use of historical control data for assessing treatment effects in clinical trials. Pharm Stat 13 (1) :41-54, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23913901.
- Murray TA, Hobbs BP, Lystig TC, Carlin BP. Semiparametric Bayesian commensurate survival model for post-market medical device surveillance with non-exchangeable historical data. Biometrics 70 (1) :185-91, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24308779.
- Castillo SJ, Castillo R, Balter P, Pan T, Ibbott G, Hobbs BP, Yuan Y, Guerrero T. Assessment of a quantitative metric for 4D CT artifact evaluation by observer consensus. J Appl Clin Med Phys 15 (3) :4718, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24892346.
- Castillo R, Pham N, Ansari S, Meshkov D, Castillo S, Li M, Olanrewaju A, Hobbs B, Castillo E, Guerrero T. Pre-radiotherapy FDG PET predicts radiation pneumonitis in lung cancer. Radiat Oncol 9:74, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24625207.
- Amini B, Madewell JE, Chuang HH, Haygood TM, Hobbs BP, Fox PS, Bassett RL, Costelloe CM. Differentiation of benign fluid collections from soft-tissue sarcomas on FDG-PET/CT. J Cancer 5 (5) :328-35, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24723975.
- Ng CS, Chandler AG, Yao JC, Herron DH, Anderson EF, Charnsangavej C, Hobbs BP. Effect of pre-enhancement set point on computed tomographic perfusion values in normal liver and metastases to the liver from neuroendocrine tumors. J Comput Assist Tomogr 38 (4) :526-34, 2014. PMID: 24651739.
- Hobbs BP, Carlin BP, Sargent DJ. Adaptive adjustment of the randomization ratio using historical control data. Clin Trials 10 (3) :430-40, 2013. PMID: 23690095.
- Rauch GM, Kuerer HM, Scoggins ME, Fox PS, Benveniste AP, Park YM, Lari SA, Hobbs BP, Adrada BE, Krishnamurthy S, Yang WT. Clinicopathologic, mammographic, and sonographic features in 1187 patients with pure ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast by estrogen receptor status. Breast Cancer Res Treat 139 (3) :639-47, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23774990.
- Ng CS, Hobbs BP, Chandler AG, Anderson EF, Herron DH, Charnsangavej C, Yao J. Metastases to the liver from neuroendocrine tumors: Effect of duration of scan acquisition on CT perfusion values. Radiology 269 (3) :758-67, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23824990.
- Nute JL, Rong J, Stevens DM, Darensbourg BJ, Cheng J, Wei W, Hobbs BP, Cody DD. Evaluation of over 100 scanner-years of computed tomography daily quality control data. Med Phys 40 (5) :051908-1 - 051908-11, 2013. PMID: 23635278.
- Hobbs BP, Sargent DJ, Carlin BP. Commensurate priors for incorporating historical information in clinical trials using general and generalized linear models. Bayesian Anal 7 (3) :639-674, 2012. PMID: 24795786.
- Schellingerhout D, LeRoux LG, Hobbs BP, Bredow S. Impairment of retrograde neuronal transport in oxaliplatin-induced neuropathy demonstrated by molecular imaging. PLoS One 7 (9) :e45776, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23029238.
- Hobbs BP, Carlin BP, Mandrekar SJ, Sargent DJ. Hierarchical commensurate and power prior models for adaptive incorporation of historical information in clinical trials. Biometrics 67 (3) :1047-56, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21361892.
- Hobbs BP, Carlin BP. Practical Bayesian design and analysis for drug and device clinical trials. J Biopharm Stat 18 (1) :54-80, 2008. PMID: 18161542.
- Ng CS, Altinmakas E, Ghosh P, Wei W, Grubbs EG, Perrier NA, Prieto VG, Lee JE, Hobbs BP. Differentiation of malignant and benign adrenal lesions with delayed CT imaging: multivariate analysis and prediction models. American Journal of Roentgenology.
- Mohamed ASR, Hobbs BP, Hutcheson KA, Murri M, Garg N, Song J, Gunn GB, Sandulache V, Beadle B, Phan J, Morrison W, Frank SJ, Blanchard P, Garden AS, El-Halawani H, Kamal M, Chambers MS, Lewin JS, Ferrarotto R, Zhu XR, Zhang X, Hofstede TM, Cardoso RC, Gillenwater AM, Sturgis EM, Weber RS, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD, Lai SY. Dose-volume correlates of mandibular osteoradionecrosis in oropharynx cancer patients receiving intensity-modulated radiotherapy: Results from a case-matched comparison. Radiotherapy and Oncology.
- Kuerer HM, Rauch GM, Krishnamurthy S, Adrada BE, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Black DM, Santiago L, Hobbs BP, Lucci A, Gilcrease M, Hwang RF, Candelaria RP, Chavez-MacGregor M, Smith BD, Arribas E, Moseley T, Teshome M, Miggins MV, Valero V, Hunt KK, Yang WT. A clinical feasibility trial for identification of exceptional responders in whom breast cancer surgery can be eliminated following neoadjuvant systemic therapy. Annals of Surgery.
- Kaizer AM, Koopmeiners JS, Hobbs BP. Bayesian hierarchical modeling based on multi-source exchangeability. Biostatistics.
- Xu C, Xi M, Moreno A, Shiraishi Y, Hobbs BP, Huang M, Komaki R, Lin SH. Definitive chemoradiotherapy for esophageal cancer in the elderly: clinical outcomes for patients exceeding 80 years old. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics.
- Ehrmann S, Quartin A, Hobbs BP, Robert-Edan V, Cely C, Bell C, Lyons G, Pham T, Schein R, Geng Y, Lakhal K, Ng CS. Contrast-associated acute kidney injury in the critically ill: systematic review and Bayesian meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28197679.
- Li X, Guindani M, Ng CS, Hobbs BP. Classification of adrenal lesions through spatial Bayesian modeling of GLCM. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging.
- Ma J, Hobbs BP, Stingo FC. Integrating genomic signatures for treatment selection with Bayesian predictive failure time models. Stat Methods Med Res. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27807177.
- Altinmakas E, Hobbs BP , Ye H, Grubbs EG, Perrier ND, Prieto VG, Lee JE, Ng CS.. Diagnostic performance of 18-F-FDG-PET-CT in adrenal lesions using histopathology as reference standard. Abdom Radiol 42 (2) :577-584. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27665482.
- Koopmeiners JS, Hobbs BP. Detecting and accounting for violations of the constancy assumption in non-inferiority clinical trials. Stat Methods Med Res. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27587591.
- Sandulache VC, Hobbs BP, Mohamed ASR, Frank SJ, Song J, Ding Y, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Hazle JD, Wang J, Awan MJ, Rosenthal DI, Garden AS, Gunn GB, Colen RR, El-shafeey N, El-banan M, Hutcheson KA, Lewin J, Chambers MS, Hofstede TM, Weber RS, Lai SY, Fuller CD. Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI detects acute radiotherapy-induced alterations in mandibular microvasculature: prospective assessment of imaging biomarkers of normal tissue injury. Sci Rep 6 (29864) . e-Pub 2016.
- Hobbs BP, Chen N, Lee JJ. Controlled multi-arm platform design using predictive probability. Stat Methods Med Res. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26763586.
- Hobbs BP, Lee JJ. Adaptive Trial Designs. In: Handbook of Statistics in Clinical Oncology. 3rd. Chapman and Hall/CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2012.
- Hobbs BP, Berry DA, Coombes KR. Biostatistics and Bioinformatics in Clinical Trials. In: Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology. 6th. Elsevier: Philadelphia.
|Title:||Statistical Methods and Software for More Efficient, Ethical, and Affordable Clinical Trials|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NCI (Subcontract from the University of Minnesota)|
|Role:||Principal Investigator (subcontract)|
|Title:||Cancer Center Support Grant, Biostatistics Resource Group (BRG)|
|Title:||Multimode laser optoacoustic tomography system for breast cancer care|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NCI (Subcontract from TomoWaves Laboratory)|
|Title:||Personalizing Nanoparticle Therapy|
|Title:||Spatially Accurate Deformable Image Registration for Thoracic CT Applications|
|Title:||Tumor mutation status will predict metabolic response to metformin in NSCLC|
|Title:||A New Radiopharmaceutical for the Treatment of Metastatic Bone Cancer|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NCI (Subcontract from Iso Therapeutics Group, LLC)|
|Title:||Statistical Methods for Complex Cancer Trials|
|Title:||Targeted Molecular Imaging of Cell Death in Ovarian Cancer|
|Funding Source:||National Institute of Health|
|Title:||Investigation of the immunologic basis of CT imaging features in non-small cell lung cancer|
|Title:||Core D: Biostatistics & Data Management|
|Funding Source:||NIH-NCI (Subaward Agreement Massachusetts General Hospital)|
|Title:||Development of immune pathology-based radiomics features to predict non-small cell lung cancer response to checkpoint inhibitors on prospective trials|
|Funding Source:||Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology|