About Dr. Cowles
My area of interest is the prevention of surgical fires and patient safety concerns with emphasis on awareness and training of hazards, physical plant design, adverse outcome investigations, and root cause analysis. My areas of clinical interest include pediatric anesthesiology, TIVA, neuroanesthesia, and awake craniotomies. In addition to clinical interests, I have a desire to learn and examine methods for the business of medicine including application of lean methodology, value strategy, and reduction of healthcare related costs. I also have an interest in the development of a debriefing system for employees, patients, and families who have experienced a crisis event.
Medical Incident Command Chief, Division of Environmental Health and Safety, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Clinical Medical Director, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Perioperative Safety Officer, Division of Perioperative Services, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Operating Room Fire Prevention Occupational Health of Anesthesia Providers Crisis Intervention Application of Lean Principles in the Healthcare Environment Business of Medicine Human Factors Engineering
Neuroanesthesia Pediatric anesthesia Integration of technology into the surgical environment Frailty in the Perioperative Patient
|2013||University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA, MBA, Physician MBA|
|2004||University of Texas-Houston, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1998||University of Houston - Clear Lake, Houston, TX, USA, BS, Sports Medicine|
|1998||University of the State of New York, Albany, NY, USA, RN, Nursing|
|2005-2008||Clinical Residency, Anesthesiology, University of Texas - Houston, Houston, TX|
|2004-2005||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine / Anesthesiology Categorical, University of Texas-Houston, Houston, TX|
|2017||Certification Board for Professionals in Patient safety|
|2017||Fellow of the American Society of Anesthesiologists|
|2014||American Board of Medical Quality|
|2010||American Board of Anesthesiology|
Professor, San Jacinto College District, Pasadena, TX, 1995 - 2000
Advisor- Safe Use Initiative, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Bethesda, MD, 2010 - Present
Paramedic Supervisor, City of Beaumont Fire Dept, Beaumont, TX, 1989 - 1995
Paramedic, City Of Baytown, Baytown, TX, 1986 - 1989
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Acute & Critical Care Services Subcommittee, 2017 - Present
Charter Member, Institutional Patient Safety Committee, 2015 - Present
Physician Champion, ISO Tubing Connector Standards Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Task Force for Departmental Promotion, 2014 - Present
Member, Operating Room Subcommittee, 2014 - Present
Chair, Interdisciplinary Clinical Alarm Safety Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Quality Improvement Assessment Board, 2013 - Present
Member, Elevator Patient Care Workgroup, 2013 - 2014
Co-Chair, ICEC Subcommittee for Patient Safety-Surgical and Invasive Procedures, 2012 - Present
Member, ICEC Subcommittee for Patient Safety-Incident Reporting, 2012 - Present
Member, Division of Surgery Continuous Quality Improvement Committee, 2011 - Present
Member, Infection Control Committee, 2010 - Present
Member, Infection Control Core Committee, 2010 - Present
Member, POE Task Force for Point of Care Testing, 2010 - Present
Ad hoc Advisor, Institutional Safety Committee, 2010 - Present
Member, Patient Safety Committee, 2009 - 2015
Co-Chairman, Perioperative Safety Council, 2009 - Present
Vice Chair, Laser Safety Committee, 2009 - Present
Chair, Critical Response Task Force, 2009 - 2011
Member / Advisor, OR Pyxis Pilot Project, 2008 - 2010
Editor, US FDA, Silver Spring, MD, 2014 - Present
Curriculum Committee Member - Nurse Anesthetist Program, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, 2010 - 2015
Advisor, ERCI, Plymouth Meeting, PA, 2009 - Present
Script Editor, Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation, Indianapolis, IN, 2009 - Present
Advisor, Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation, Indianapolis, IN, 2008 - Present
Medical Advisor, San Jacinto College Surgical Technology Department, Pasadena, TX, 2005 - Present
Military or Other Governmental Service
Medical Advisor Southeast RIC, US DHS, 2015 - Present
Tactical Medical Director, Pasadena Police Department, 2015 - Present
|2015||Silver Award for Excellence in Academic Medicine, Texas Medical Association|
|2014||Super Doctor, Texas Monthly Magazine|
|2013||Rising Star Super Doctor, Texas Monthly Magazine|
|2012||FDA Citation of Achievement, US Food and Drug Administration|
|2011||Twenty Year Award, National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians|
|2008||Outstanding Performance in Airway Management, University of Texas-Houston Anesthesiology Department|
|2008||Outstanding Anesthesiology Resident in Neurosurgery, University of Texas- Houston Anesthesiology Department|
|2006||Outstanding Junior Anesthesiology Resident, University of Texas-Houston Anesthesiology Department|
|2003||Who's Who in America, Who's Who|
|2003||President, UT Houston Medical Student Anesthesia Club|
|1993||Who's Who in American Healthcare, Who's Who|
- Hagan K, Bhavsar S, Arunkumar R, Grasu R, Dang A, Carlson R, Cowles C, Arnold B, Potylchansky Y, Rahlfs TF, Lipski I, Walsh C, Jimenez F, Nguyen AT, Feng L, Cata JP. Association Between Perioperative Hyperglycemia and Survival in Patients With Glioblastoma. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 29(1):21-29, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27438798.
- Bhavsar S, Hagan K, Arunkumar R, Potylchansky Y, Grasu R, Dang A, Carlson R, Cowles C, Arnold B, Rahlfs TF, Lipski I, Walsh C, Nguyen AT, Feng L, Cata J. Preoperative statin use is not associated with improvement in survival after glioblastoma surgery. J Clin Neurosci, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Maldaun MV, Khawja SN, Levine NB, Rao G, Lang FF, Weinberg JS, Tummala S, Cowles CE, Ferson D, Nguyen AT, Sawaya R, Suki D, Prabhu SS. Awake craniotomy for gliomas in a high-field intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging suite: analysis of 42 cases. J Neurosurg 121(4):810-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25105702.
- Tatsui CE, Stafford RJ, Li J, Sellin JN, Amini B, Rao G, Suki D, Ghia AJ, Brown P, Lee SH, Cowles CE, Weinberg JS, Rhines LD. Utilization of laser interstitial thermotherapy guided by real-time thermal MRI as an alternative to separation surgery in the management of spinal metastasis. J Neurosurg Spine:1-12. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26140398.
- Cowles CE, Mitchell J, Stepp JE, Bewley VZ. Carfentanil: A new and often unrecognized threat. J Spec Ops Med 17(3):120-22, 2017.
- Cowles CE. The Anesthesiologist's Role in Disaster Medicine. Audio Digest Anesthesiology 58(48), 2016.
- Cowles CE, van Pelt M, Brull SJ, Eichhorn JH. Developing Patient Safety Leaders: Leadership Fellows Share Insights Gained from Program. APSF Newsletter 31(1):1-28,20-22, 2016.
- Cowles CE. Q&A: Reader Questions Fire Risk of Petroleum Based Products. APSF Newsletter 31(1):1-28, 25, 2016.
- Cowles CE, Casarez VQ, Wiemers JW. "Extreme" Remote Locations Raise Unique Safety Concerns. APSF Newsletter 30(2):25-26, 40-41, 2015.
- Cowles CE, Chang JL. Flammable Surgical Preps Require Vigilance. APSF Newsletter 29(2):25-36, 2014. e-Pub 2014.
- Cowles CE. Safety: Only You Can Prevent Surgical Fires. Outpatient Surgery Magazine XIV(10):105-108, 2013.
- Apfelbaum JL, Caplan RA, Barker SJ, Connis RT, Cowles C, Ehrenwerth J, Nickinovich DG, Pritchard D, Roberson DW, Caplan RA, Barker SJ, Connis RT, Cowles C, de Richemond AL, Ehrenwerth J, Nickinovich DG, Pritchard D, Roberson DW, Wolf GL, American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Operating Room Fires. Practice advisory for the prevention and management of operating room fires: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Operating Room Fires. Anesthesiology 118(2):271-90, 2013. PMID: 23287706.
- Spratt D, Cowles CE, Berguer R, Dennis V, Waters TR, Rodriguez M, Spry C, Groah L. Workplace safety equals patient safety. AORN J 96(3):235-44, 2012. PMID: 22935253.
- Stoelting RK, Feldman JM, Cowles CE, Bruley ME. Surgical Fire Injuries Continue to Occur. APSF Newsletter 26(3):41-43, 2012.
- Cowles CE. Q&A, Why Should I Learn About Fire Extinguishers. APSF Newsletter 25(3-4):59-60, 2011.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Operating Room Fires, Caplan RA, Barker SJ, Connis RT, Cowles C, de Richemond AL, Ehrenwerth J, Nickinovich DG, Pritchard D, Roberson D, Wolf GL. Practice advisory for the prevention and management of operating room fires. Anesthesiology 108(5):786-801; quiz 971-2, 2008. PMID: 18431114.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Cowles CE. EMS Clinical Guidelines and Protocols. San Jacinto College District: Pasadena, TX, 1996.
- Owusu-Agyemang P, Williams UU, Van Meter AK, Popovich S, Cowles CE, Holmes AA, Grasu RM, Casarez VQ, Arunkumar R, Porche V, Zavala AM Multiple Anesthetics for Proton-Radiotherapy in a Child with Costello Syndrome. Open J Clin Med Case Rep 1(9):1053, 2015.
- Cowles CE Keel Lough, Achill Island [Photo]. New England Journal of Medicine 370(3):253, 2014.
- Wild D Anesthesiologists Unprepared for OR Fires, Survey Finds. Anesthesiology News 38(7), 2012.
- Cowles CE, Skibber JM Creating an Easy and Cost-Effective Solution for Patient Identification. UHC News(April 2012), 2012.
- ECRI Institute New clinical guide to surgical fire prevention [guidance article]. Health Devices 38(19):314-332, 2009.
- Heller A ASA Issues Guidance for OR Fires. Anesthesiology News 34(7):1, 2008.
- Cowles CE ASA Advisory Addresses Operating Room Fires. Same-Day Surgery 1(6):64, 2008.
- Cowles CE ASA Advisory for OR Fires. Healthcare Life Safety Newsletter, 2008.
- Cowles CE, Soliz J. Safe culture? – a burning question answered by fire safety awareness. BMJ Leader 1:A18-A19, 2017.
- Cowles CE, Luongo N, Cata JP, French K, Jones J, Holmes H, Andrabi T. The Implementation of a Pre-Operative Geriatric Assessment Tool and the Impact on Patients at a Large Cancer Center. Proceedings of the NPSF, 2015.
- Weinberg J, Cowles CE, Berkheiser M. Safety Procedure During Simulated Quench of Intraoperative MRI. American Academy of Neurosurgeons, New Orleans LA, 2013.
- Cowles CE and Pivalizza EG. Survey of Surgical Personnel to Enact the “RACE-PASS” Fire Safety Plan. British Journal of Anaesthesia 108(Supplement 2):ii326-7, 2012.
- Rebello, E, Cowles C, Kee S, Hernandez M, Sapire K.. Evaluation and Implementation of an Automated Medication Dispensing System into Anesthesia Worksites at a Large University Hospital. Soc of Pediatric Anesthesia, San Antonio, TX,, 2010.
- Rebello, E, Cowles C, Kee S, Hernandez M, Sapire K.. Evaluation and Implementation of an Automated Medication Dispensing System into Anesthesia Worksites at a Large University Hospital. Anesthesia and Analgesia 110(3):S 152, 2010.
- Cowles CE. Fire Safety in the Operating Room. In: Up-to-Date. Wolters Kluwer: Waltham, MA, 2015.
- Cowles CE. The Operating Room Environment. In: Clinical Anesthesiology. 5th. Appleton and Lange: New York, 2013.
- Cowles CE. Airway Fire. In: The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult. First. Lippincott Williams and wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 2013.
- Cowles CE. Smoke Inhalation Injury. In: The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consull. First. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins: Philadelphia, PA, 2013.
- Cowles CE, Rozner MA. Never Yell Fire in a Crowded OR. In: Anesthetic Cases through the Core Clinical Competencies Looking Glass. 1. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge UK, 217-226, 2010.
Letters to the Editor
- Cowles CE. Regarding fiberoptic intubation and laryngeal morbidity. Anesthesiology 108: 1150-1; author reply 1151, 2008.
|Title:||Comprehensive Patient Safety Leadership Fellowship|
|Funding Source:||National Patient Safety Foundation Endowment|