About Dr. Black
Dalliah M. Black, MD, FACS is an Associate Professor of Surgical Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. She earned her medical degree at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in Chapel Hill where she also completed her residency in General Surgery. Her fellowship training in Breast Surgical Oncology was completed at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
D r. Black’s clinical interests include evaluating barriers to medical care in the underserved, disparities in breast cancer outcomes, and biologic differences in breast cancers. Her surgical research, including evaluating the natural history of small HER2 breast cancers, determining the validity of the use of pre-operative MRI in detecting breast cancer versus the use of sentinel lymph node biopsy in high risk patients undergoing prophylactic mastectomy, and evaluating the accuracy of intra-operative technetium injection for sentinel lymph node identification has resulted in national presentations, including the Society of Surgical Oncology and the American College of Surgeons, and publications in the Annals of Surgical Oncology, Archives of Surgery, and Surgery.
Dr. Black has a strong interest in patient education and the patient-physician relationship. She has received several awards for her community efforts. She has also served on the board of directors for the breast cancer support group, The Red Devils, as a medical advisor for Sisters Network, and served on the state of Maryland Breast Cancer Control Commission to improve access and treatment. She is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Breast Surgeons and Society of Surgical Oncology.
Associate Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1998||University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1994||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, BS, Biology|
|2005-2006||Clinical Fellowship, Breast Surgical Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA|
|1999-2005||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, NC|
|1998-1999||Clinical Internship, General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA|
|2006||American Board of Surgery|
Breast Surgeon, Division of Surgery, The Sullivan Breast Center, Division of Surgery, Sibley Memorial Hospital, Washington, DC, 2010 - 2011
Breast Surgeon, Division of Surgery, The Hoffberger Breast Center, Division of Surgery,Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2008 - 2010
Assistant Professor, Division of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, 2006 - 2008
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, MD Anderson Physician Relations Faculty Advisory Board, 2014 - Present
|2013||AAMC Minority Faculty Development Seminar, Surgical Oncology Selected Participant, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2008||Associated Black Charities Award for Community Service, Baltimore, MD|
|2005||Eskland Award for Excellence in Pediatric Surgery, University of North Carolina, Department of Surgery|
|2003||Poster Travel Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases|
|2003||President's Choice Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases|
|2003||Herbert J. Proctor Award for Excellence in Surgical Research, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine|
|2001||Medical Alumni Endowment Fund Scholarship, University of North Carolina Medical Alumni|
|1996||John B. Graham Research Honor Society|
- Rueth NM, Black DM, Limmer AR, Gabriel E, Huo L, Fornage BD, Dogan BE, Chavez-MacGregor M, Yi M, Hunt KK, Strom EA. Breast conservation in the setting of contemporary multimodality treatment provides excellent outcomes for patients with occult primary breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 22(1):90-5, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25249256.
- Eberth JM, Xu Y, Smith GL, Shen Y, Jiang J, Buchholz TA, Hunt KK, Black DM, Giordano SH, Whitman GJ, Yang W, Shen C, Elting L, Smith BD. Surgeon influence on use of needle biopsy in patients with breast cancer: a national medicare study. J Clin Oncol 32(21):2206-16, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24912900.
- Caudle A, Yang W, Krishnamurthy S, Hobbs BP, Mittendorf EA, Black DM, Hwang R, Hunt,KK, Kuerer HM. Feasibility trial for selective surgical localization of axillary lymph nodes containing metastases in breast cancer patients. JAMA Surgery, 2014.
- Advani PS, Ying J, Theriault R, Melhem-Bertrand A, Moulder S, Bedrosian I, Tereffe W, Black S, Pini TM, Brewster AM. Ethnic disparities in adherence to breast cancer survivorship surveillance care. Cancer 120(6):894-900, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24258799.
- Ren Y, Black DM, Mittendorf EA, Liu P, Li X, Du XL, He J, Yang J, Hunt KK, Yi M. Crossover effects of estrogen receptor status on breast cancer-specific hazard rates by age and race. PLoS One 9(10):e110281, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25333877.
- Fitzsullivan E, Lari SA, Smith B, Caudle AS, Krishnamurthy S, Lucci A, Mittendorf EA, Babiera GV, Black DM, Wagner JL, Bedrosian I, Woodward W, Gainer SM, Hwang R, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Incidence and Consequence of Close Margins in Patients with Ductal Carcinoma-In Situ Treated with Mastectomy: Is Further Therapy Warranted?. Ann Surg Oncol 20(13):4103-12, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23975313.
- Black DM, Mittendorf EA. Landmark trials affecting the surgical management of invasive breast cancer. Surg Clin North Am 93(2):501-18, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23464699.
- Grube BJ, Christy CJ, Black D, Martel M, Harris L, Weidhaas J, Digiovanna MP, Chung G, Abu-Khalaf MM, Miller KD, Higgins SA, Philpotts L, Tavassoli FA, Lannin DR. Breast sentinel lymph node dissection before preoperative chemotherapy. Arch Surg 143(7):692-9; discussion 699-700, 2008. PMID: 18645113.
- Dominguez FJ, Golshan M, Black DM, Hughes KS, Gadd MA, Christian R, Lesnikoski BA, Specht M, Michaelson J, Smith BL. Sentinel node biopsy is important in mastectomy for ductal carcinoma in situ. Ann Surg Oncol 15(1):268-73, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17891441.
- Black D, Lyman S, Qian T, Lemasters JJ, Rippe RA, Nitta T, Kim JS, Behrns KE. Transforming growth factor beta mediates hepatocyte apoptosis through Smad3 generation of reactive oxygen species. Biochimie 89(12):1464-73, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17936489.
- Lannin DR, Grube B, Black DS, Ponn T. Breast tattoos for planning surgery following neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg 194(4):518-20, 2007. PMID: 17826070.
- Black D, Specht M, Lee JM, Dominguez F, Gadd M, Hughes K, Rafferty E, Smith B. Detecting occult malignancy in prophylactic mastectomy: preoperative MRI versus sentinel lymph node biopsy. Ann Surg Oncol 14(9):2477-84, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17587091.
- Dominguez FJ, Lawrence C, Halpern EF, Drohan B, Grinstein G, Black DM, Smith BL, Gadd MA, Specht M, Kopans DB, Moore RH, Hughes SS, Roche CA, Hughes KS. Accuracy of self-reported personal history of cancer in an outpatient breast center. J Genet Couns 16(3):341-5, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17508275.
- Dominguez FJ, Black DM, Kawaguchi AL, O'Malley CA, Hughes KS. Elastic stay hooks and self-retaining retractor technique for mastectomy skin flaps. Surgery 141(2):272-4, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 17263986.
- Black D, Smith BL. Surgical treatment options in young women with breast cancer. Breast Dis 23:37-45, 2005. PMID: 16823165.
- Black D, Bird MA, Hayden M, Schrum LW, Lange P, Samson C, Hatano E, Rippe RA, Brenner DA, Behrns KE. TNF alpha-induced hepatocyte apoptosis is associated with alterations of the cell cycle and decreased stem loop binding protein. Surgery 135(6):619-28, 2004. PMID: 15179368.
- Black D, Bird MA, Samson CM, Lyman S, Lange PA, Schrum LW, Qian T, Lemasters JJ, Brenner DA, Rippe RA, Behrns KE. Primary cirrhotic hepatocytes resist TGFbeta-induced apoptosis through a ROS-dependent mechanism. J Hepatol 40(6):942-51, 2004. PMID: 15158334.
- Black D, Lyman S, Heider TR, Behrns KE. Molecular and cellular features of hepatic regeneration. J Surg Res 117(2):306-15, 2004. PMID: 15047136.
- Bird MA, Black D, Lange PA, Samson CM, Hayden M, Behrns KE. NFkappaB inhibition decreases hepatocyte proliferation but does not alter apoptosis in obstructive jaundice. J Surg Res 114(2):110-7, 2003. PMID: 14559434.
- Black DM, Behrns KE. A scientist revisits the atrophy-hypertrophy complex: hepatic apoptosis and regeneration. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 11(4):849-64, 2002. PMID: 12607575.
- Black D, Reutter J, Johnson M, Fair J, Woosley J, Gerber D. Liver transplantation in Ellis-van Creveld syndrome: a case report. Pediatr Transplant 6(3):255-9, 2002. PMID: 12100513.
- Schrum LW, Black D, Iimuro Y, Rippe RA, Brenner DA, Behrns KE. c-Jun does not mediate hepatocyte apoptosis following NFkappaB inhibition and partial hepatectomy. J Surg Res 88(2):142-9, 2000. PMID: 10644480.
- Ramirez MF, Ai D, Bauer M, Vauthey JN, Gottumukkala V, Kee S, Shon D, Truty M, Kuerer HM, Kurz A, Hernandez M, Cata JP. Innate immune function after breast, lung, and colorectal cancer surgery. J Surg Res. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25475022.
- Black DM, Jiang J, Kuerer HM, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Racial Disparities in Adoption of Axillary Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy and Lymphedema Risk in Women with Breast Cancer. JAMA Surg. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25073831.
- Parker PA, Peterson SK, Bedrosian I, Crosby MA, Shen Y, Black DM, Babiera G, Kuerer HM, Ying J, Dong W, Cantor SB, Brewster AM. Prospective Study of Surgical Decision-making Processes for Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy in Women With Breast Cancer. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25822675.
- Calligaris D, Caragacianu D, Liu X, Norton I, Thompson CJ, Richardson AL, Golshan M, Easterling ML, Santagata S, Dillon DA, Jolesz FA, Agar NY. Application of desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry imaging in breast cancer margin analysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111(42):15184-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25246570.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Black DM. Breast Education Self-Assessment Program Exam Questions, 2014.
- Black DM,. Breast Education Self-Assessment Program Exam Questions, 2012.
- Black DM, Mittendorf EA Surg Clin North Am. Landmark trials affecting the surgical management of invasive breast cancer 93(2):501-1, 2013.
- Black DM, Kuerer HM Diagnostic Imagining of Breast, 2nd. Ed(s) Berg W, Yang W, Amirsys: Salt Lake City, UT. Surgery Section 10:74-78, 2013, 2013.
- Black DM, Hunt KK, Mittendorf EA. Long Term Outcomes Reporting the Safety of Breast Conserving Therapy Compared to Mastectomy: 20-year Results of EORTC 10801. Gland Surg 2(3):120-3, 2013. PMID: 25083471.
- Black DM. Local Recurrence after Breast-Conserving Surgery: Multivariable Analysis of Risk Factors and the Impact of Young Age. Breast Disease Quarterly, 2013.
- DM Black, J Wagner, EA Mittendorf, RF Hwang, SM Desnyder, F Ames, T Yoburn, N Wipf, S Gollihar, F Meric-Bernstam, BE Dogan, M Dryden, WT Yang, E Rohren, M Gilcrease, HM Kuerer, KK Hunt, AS Caudle. Implementing a Radioactive Seed Localization Program in Breast Cancer Surgery: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Accepted for poster presentation. Society of Surgical Oncology, 2015.
- Dryden M, Dogan B, Fox P, Wang C, Black S, Hunt K, Yang W. Radiological Imaging Factors Influencing Surgical Margin Status Following Pre-operative I-125 Radioactive Seed Localization (RSL) of Breast Lesions: Comparative Analysis with Needle Localizations (NL). Radiological Society of North America, 2014.
- Caudle A, Yang W, Mittendorf E, Black D, Gilcrease M, Bedrosian I, Hobbs B, Candelaria R, Babiera G, Dogan B, Santiago L, Hunt K, Krishnamurthy S, Kuerer H. Assessment for residual nodal disease after neoadjuvant chemotherapy with image-guided surgery. American Society of Clinical Oncology Breast Cancer Symposium, 2014.
- Rueth N, Black DM, Limmer A, Gabriel E, Fornage B, Dogan B, Chavez-MacGregor M, Yi M, Hunt KK, Strom EA. Breast conservation in the setting of contemporary multidisciplinary treatment provides excellent outcomes for occult primary breast cancer. American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2014.
- Gole P, Ying J, Theriault R, Melhem-Bertrand A, Moulder S, Bedrosian I, McNeil L, Tereffe W,Black D, Pini M, Brewster A. Ethnic Disparities in Breast Cancer Survivorship Care. American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2013.
- Ramirez MF, Bergesio L, Truty MJ, Black DM Vauthey JN, Cata. Ultra Low Dose of Lidocaine (LD) Enhances In Vitro Natural Killer (NK) Cell Function. Study in Multidisciplinary Pain Research, 2013.
- Meric-Bernstam F, Beck J, Schutz E, Urnovtz HB, Singh G, Mitchell WM, Black D, Babiera I, Kuerer H, Mills G. Modulation of Breast Cancer Cell-Free DNA with Surgical Resection. American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2013.
- Black DM, Jiang J, Buchholz T, Kuerer H, Smith B. Disparities in the Utilization of Axillary Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy among Black and White Patients with Node-Negative Breast Cancer from 2002-2007. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2012.
- Christy C, Grube B, Black DM, Thorsteinsson D, Offor O, Lannin D. Factors That Influence the Rate of Re-excision Following Lumpectomy for Breast Cancer. American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2008.
- Black DM, Younger J. Martei Y, Michaelson J, Dominguez F, Bhan A, Burstein H, Winer E, Goss P, Smith B. Recurrence risk in T1a-b, node negative, HER2 positive breast cancer. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2006.
- Black DM, Golshan M, Christian R, Bakhlis F, Dominguez F, Smith B, Lesnikoski B. Post-Operative Outcomes of Mastectomy with Breast Tumescence Infiltration. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2006.
- Dominguez FJ, Golshan M, Black DM, Hughes KS, Gadd MA, Rhei E, Christian R, Lesnikoski BA, Specht M, Michaelson J, Smith BL. Review of 517 Sentinel Node Biopsies Performed During Simple Mastectomy: Findings and Incidence of Positive Non-Sentinel Lymph Nodes. American Society of Breast Surgeons, 2006.
- Dominguez FJ, Golshan M, Black DM, Hughes KS, Gadd MA, Rhei E, Christian R, Beth-Ann Lesnikoski BL, Specht M, Michaelson J and Smith BL. Sentinel Node Biopsy is Important in Mastectomy for Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. Society of Surgical Oncology, 2006.
- Black DM, Lyman S. Qian T, Lemasters J, Rippe R, Behrns K. Transforming Growth Factor beta1-Induced Hepatocyte Apoptosis is Mediated by Smad3-Dependent Acute Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2003.
- Black DM, Schrum L, Lyman S, Behrns K. TNFα-Induced Hepatocyte Apoptosis Is Associated With S-Phase Block and Decreased Stem-Loop Binding Protein. Digestive Disease Week, 2003.
- Lyman S, Black DM, Behrns K. Functional Gene Expression Analysis of Cirrhotic Hepatocytes that Display Decreased Sensitivity to Apoptosis. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2002.
- Black DM, Lawler C, Walker Q, Eckerman D, Nichols D, Mailman R. D1 Receptors, cAMP Synthesis, and the Amphetamine Discriminative Stimulus. Society for Neuroscience National Meeting, 1994.
- Walker Q, Black DM, Eckerman D, Nichols D, Mailman R. Behavioral and Pharmacological Determinants of D1 Dopamine Agonist Substitution for the Discriminative Stimulus Induced by Dihydrexidine. Society for Neuroscience National Meeting, 1993.
- Black DM, Walker Q, Eckerman D, Nichols D, Mailman R. Dopamine D2 Discriminative Stimulus Properties of Dihydrexidine and its Analog, N-n-Propyl Dihydrexidine. North Carolina Society for Neuroscience, 1993.
- Black DM, Kuerer HM. Mastectomy. In: Diagnostic Imaging:Breast. 2nd, Section 10:78-81, 2013.
- Black DM, Kuerer HM. Breast Conserving Surgery. In: Diagnostic Imaging: Breast. 2nd, Section 10:74-77, 2013.
- Black DM, Kuerer HM. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy. In: Diagnostic Imaging: Breast. 2nd, Section 10:66-69, 2013.
- Black DM, Kuerer HM. Axillary Lymph Node Dissection. In: Diagnostic Imaging :Breast. 2nd, Section 10:70-73, 2013.