About Dr. Karp
I have been a Professor in the MD Anderson Investigational Cancer Therapeutics Department (ICTD) since 2012 and recently finished the second edition of our highly regarded Handbook of Targeted Cancer Therapy and Immunotherapy (Wolters Kluwer pub.). In the ICTD, we care for the entire spectrum of malignant diseases – from brain tumors to rare tumors such as cholangiocarcinoma and sarcomas, as well as the common epithelial malignancies (prostate, colon, breast, and lung). I am especially proud that I was named a 2017 “Top Performer”, being rated in the top 1% nationally on CAHPS patient satisfaction measures. Our unique color icon-driven touchscreen computer system (ARMADA/Lab Tracker) that I designed, built, and deployed has continued to be the dedicated program for managing our institution’s Phase I protocol activity. I currently serve as the MD Anderson Principal Investigator (PI) and overall co-PI of the University of Texas Houston Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant. This role also includes the Executive Committee of the Texas Regional CTSA Consortium (TRCC), which is dedicated to enhancing and accelerating our CTSA collaborative research network to improve the health of the people of Texas and the U.S. I have been PI of a number of new drug protocols, including the first in class pyrophosphate platinum compound, Phosplatin (PT-112) a novel platinum containing low toxicity agent that has immune killing properties and a very favorable safety profile. I developed some of the first clinical databases for head and neck cancer and thoracic malignancies. I have been a Board Certified Oncologist and Hematologist and clinical researcher for over 3 decades.
Professor, Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
I focused a great deal of my clinical work on lung cancer and other thoracic tumors from 2002-2012. However, in view of my dual role as MD Anderson Principal Investigator for the UT Houston multidisciplinary Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant and Medical Director for our dedicated drug development unit, the CTRC, I moved to the Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics in July 2012. This is an exciting new opportunity to better coordinate my patient care, clinical research, and educational efforts.
I have lung cancer as one of my areas of special interest and experience however, as a member of the ICT Department, I treat patients with a wide variety of tumors.
The selenium study finished in 2010 and gave important insights into the behavior of early stage lung cancer. Although selenium supplementation did not prove beneficial in preventing recurrence or new primary tumors, this study served to help us design better prevention trials in the future.
|1973||Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1969||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, BA, Social Relations (Psychology)|
|1978-1980||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA|
|1976-1977||Clinical Fellowship, American Cancer Society, Hanover, NH|
|1976-1978||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology/Oncology, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Hanover, NH|
|1974-1976||Clinical Residency, Medicine, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Hanover, NH|
|1973-1974||Clinical Internship, Medicine, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Hanover, NH|
|1973-1973||Postgraduate Fellow, Hematology/Oncology, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC|
- George GC, Iwuanyanwu EC, Buford AS, Piha-Paul SA, Subbiah V, Fu S, Karp DD, Pant S, Hinojosa CO, Hess KR, Cleeland CS, Bernstam EV, Meric-Bernstam F, Hong DS. Cancer-Related Internet Use and Its Association With Patient Decision Making and Trust in Physicians Among Patients in an Early Drug Development Clinic: A Questionnaire-Based Cross-Sectional Observational Study. J Med Internet Res 21(3):e10348, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30869638.
- Bhatty M, Kato S, Piha-Paul SA, Naing A, Subbiah V, Huang HJ, Karp DD, Tsimberidou AM, Zinner RG, Hwu WJ, Javle M, Patel SP, Hu MI, Varadhachary GR, Conley AP, Ramzanali NM, Holley VR, Kurzrock R, Meric-Bernstam F, Kwang Chae Y, Kim KB, Falchook GS, Janku F. Phase 1 study of the combination of vemurafenib, carboplatin, and paclitaxel in patients with BRAF-mutated melanoma and other advanced malignancies. Cancer 125(3):463-472, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30383888.
- Kato S, Jardim DL, Johnson FM, Subbiah V, Piha-Paul S, Tsimberidou AM, Falchook GS, Karp DD, Zinner R, Wheler J, Janku F, Fu S, Lim J, Bean S, Nguyen L, Urban S, Browne E, Meric-Bernstam F, Hong DS. Phase I study of the combination of crizotinib (as a MET inhibitor) and dasatinib (as a c-SRC inhibitor) in patients with advanced cancer. Invest New Drugs 36(3):416-423, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29047029.
- Janku F, Johnson LK, Karp DD, Atkins JT, Singleton PA, Moss J. Treatment with methylnaltrexone is associated with increased survival in patients with advanced cancer. Ann Oncol 29(4):1076, 2018. PMID: 29253076.
- Sen S, Hess K, Hong DS, Naing A, Piha-Paul S, Janku F, Fu S, Subbiah IM, Liu H, Khanji R, Huang L, Moorthy S, Karp DD, Tsimberidou A, Meric-Bernstam F, Subbiah V. Development of a prognostic scoring system for patients with advanced cancer enrolled in immune checkpoint inhibitor phase 1 clinical trials. Br J Cancer 118(6):763-769, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29462132.
- Möhrmann L, Huang HJ, Hong DS, Tsimberidou AM, Fu S, Piha-Paul SA, Subbiah V, Karp DD, Naing A, Krug A, Enderle D, Priewasser T, Noerholm M, Eitan E, Coticchia C, Stoll G, Jordan LM, Eng C, Kopetz ES, Skog J, Meric-Bernstam F, Janku F. Liquid Biopsies Using Plasma Exosomal Nucleic Acids and Plasma Cell-Free DNA compared with Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Advanced Cancers. Clin Cancer Res 24(1):181-188, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29051321.
- Janku F, Zhang S, Waters J, Liu L, Huang HJ, Subbiah V, Hong DS, Karp, DD, Fu S, Cai X, Ramzanali NM, Madwani K, Cabrilo G, Andrews DL, Zhao Y, Javle M, Kopetz ES, Luthra R, Kim HJ, Gnerre S, Satya RV, Chuang HY, Kruglyak KM, Toung J, Zhao C, Shen R, Heymach JV, Meric-Bernstam F, Mills GB, Fan JB, Salathia NS. Development and Validation of an Ultradeep Next-Generation Sequencing Assay for Testing of Plasma Cell-Free DNA from Patients with Advanced Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 23(18):5648-5656, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28536309.
- Fujii T, Barzi A, Sartore-Bianchi A, Cassingena A, Siravegna G, Karp DD, Piha-Paul SA, Subbiah V, Tsimberidou AM, Huang HJ, Veronese S, Di Nicolantonio F, Pingle S, Vibat CRT, Hancock S, Berz D, Melnikova VO, Erlander MG, Luthra R, Kopetz ES, Meric-Bernstam F, Siena S, Lenz HJ, Bardelli A, Janku F. Mutation-Enrichment Next-Generation Sequencing for Quantitative Detection of KRAS Mutations in Urine Cell-Free DNA from Patients with Advanced Cancers. Clin Cancer Res 23(14):3657-3666, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28096270.
- Gautschi O, Milia J, Filleron T, Wolf J, Carbone DP, Owen D, Camidge R, Narayanan V, Doebele RC, Besse B, Remon-Masip J, Janne PA, Awad MM, Peled N, Byoung CC, Karp DD, Van Den Heuvel M, Wakelee HA, Neal JW, Mok TSK, Yang JCH, Ou SI, Pall G, Froesch P, Zalcman G, Gandara DR, Riess JW, Velcheti V, Zeidler K, Diebold J, Früh M, Michels S, Monnet I, Popat S, Rosell R, Karachaliou N, Rothschild SI, Shih JY, Warth A, Muley T, Cabillic F, Mazières J, Drilon A. Targeting RET in Patients With RET-Rearranged Lung Cancers: Results From the Global, Multicenter RET Registry. J Clin Oncol 35(13):1403-1410, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28447912.
- Wang Z, Piha-Paul S, Janku F, Subbiah V, Shi N, Gong J, Wathoo C, Shaw K, Hess K, Broaddus R, Naing A, Hong D, Tsimberidou AM, Karp DD, Yao J, Meric-Bernstam F, Fu S. Antiangiogenesis and gene aberration-related therapy may improve overall survival in patients with concurrent KRAS and TP53 hotspot mutant cancer. Oncotarget 8(20):33796-33806, 2017. PMID: 28430579.
- Basho RK, Gilcrease M, Murthy RK, Helgason T, Karp DD, Meric-Bernstam F, Hess KR, Herbrich SM, Valero V, Albarracin C, Litton JK, Chavez-MacGregor M, Ibrahim NK, Murray JL, Koenig KB, Hong D, Subbiah V, Kurzrock R, Janku F, Moulder SL. Targeting the PI3K/AKT/mTOR Pathway for the Treatment of Mesenchymal Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Evidence From a Phase 1 Trial of mTOR Inhibition in Combination With Liposomal Doxorubicin and Bevacizumab. JAMA Oncol 3(4):509-515, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27893038.
- Subbiah V, Khawaja MR, Hong DS, Amini B, Yungfang J, Liu H, Johnson A, Schrock AB, Ali SM, Sun JX, Fabrizio D, Piha-Paul S, Fu S, Tsimberidou AM, Naing A, Janku F, Karp DD, Overman M, Eng C, Kopetz S, Meric-Bernstam F, Falchook GS. First-in-human trial of multikinase VEGF inhibitor regorafenib and anti-EGFR antibody cetuximab in advanced cancer patients. JCI Insight 2(8), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28422758.
- Janku F, Huang HJ, Fujii T, Shelton DN, Madwani K, Fu S, Tsimberidou AM, Piha-Paul SA, Wheler JJ, Zinner RG, Naing A, Hong DS, Karp DD, Cabrilo G, Kopetz ES, Subbiah V, Luthra R, Kee BK, Eng C, Morris VK, Karlin-Neumann GA, Meric-Bernstam F. Multiplex KRASG12/G13 Mutation Testing of Unamplified Cell-Free DNA from the Plasma of Patients with Advanced Cancers Using Droplet Digital Polymerase Chain Reaction. Ann Oncol 28(3):642-650, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27993791.
- Tang C, Welsh JW, de Groot P, Massarelli E, Chang JY, Hess KR, Basu S, Curran MA, Cabanillas ME, Subbiah V, Fu S, Tsimberidou AM, Karp DD, Gomez DR, Diab A, Komaki R, Heymach JV, Sharma P, Naing A, Hong DS. Ipilimumab with Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy: Phase I Results and Immunologic Correlates from Peripheral T Cells. Clin Cancer Res 23(6):1388-1396, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27649551.
- Bupathi M, Hajjar J, Bean S, Fu S, Hong D, Karp DD, Stephen B, Hess K, Meric-Bernstam F, Naing A. Incidence of infusion reactions to anti-neoplastic agents in early phase clinical trials: The MD Anderson Cancer Center experience. Invest New Drugs 35(1):59-67, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27687047.
- Kinahan H, Maiti A, Hess K, Dempsey J, Beatty L, Baldwin S, Hong DS, Naing A, Fu S, Tsimberidou AM, Piha-Paul S, Janku F, Karp DD, Reddy S, Yennu S, Epner D, Bruera E, Meric-Bernstam F, Falchook G, Subbiah V. Post-Discharge Survival Outcomes of Patients with Advanced Cancer from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Investigational Cancer Therapeutics (Phase I Trials) Inpatient Unit. Oncology 92(1):14-20, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27802448.
- Reilley MJ, Bailey A, Subbiah V, Janku F, Naing A, Falchook G, Karp, DD, Piha-Paul S, Tsimberidou A, Fu S, Lim J, Bean S, Bass A, Montez S, Vence L, Sharma P, Allison J, Meric-Bernstam F, Hong DS. Phase I clinical trial of combination imatinib and ipilimumab in patients with advanced malignancies. J Immunother Cancer 5:35, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28428884.
- Wang Z, Shi N, Naing A, Janku F, Subbiah V, Araujo DM, Patel SR, Ludwig JA, Ramondetta LM, Levenback CF, Ramirez PT, Piha-Paul SA, Hong D, Karp DD, Tsimberidou AM, Meric-Bernstam F, Fu S. Survival of patients with metastatic leiomyosarcoma: the MD Anderson Clinical Center for targeted therapy experience. Cancer Med 5(12):3437-3444, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27882721.
- Janku F, Johnson LK, Karp DD, Atkins JT, Singleton PA, Moss J. Treatment with methylnaltrexone is associated with increased survival in patients with advanced cancer. Ann Oncol 27(11):2032-2038, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27573565.
- Wheler JJ, Janku F, Naing A, Li Y, Stephen B, Zinner R, Subbiah V, Fu S, Karp DD, Falchook GS, Tsimberidou AM, Piha-Paul S, Anderson R, Ke D, Miller V, Yelensky R, Lee JJ, Hong D, Kurzrock R. TP53 Alterations Correlate with Response to VEGF/VEGFR Inhibitors: Implications for Targeted Therapeutics. Mol Cancer Ther 15(10):2475-2485, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27466356.
- Wheler JJ, Janku F, Naing A, Li Y, Stephen B, Zinner R, Subbiah V, Fu S, Karp DD, Falchook GS, Tsimberidou AM, Piha-Paul S, Anderson R, Ke D, Miller V, Yelensky R, Lee JJ, Hong DS, Kurzrock R. Cancer therapy directed by comprehensive genomic profiling: a single center study. Cancer Res 76(13):3690-701, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27197177.
- Mengistu B, Ray D, Lockett P, Dorsey V, Phipps RA, Subramanian H, Atkins JT, El Osta B, Falchook GS, Karp DD. Innovative Strategies for Decreasing Blood Collection Wait Times for Patients in Early-Phase Cancer Clinical Trials. J Oncol Pract 12(7):e784-91, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27328793.
- Leng S, Wu G, Klinge DM, Thomas CL, Casas E, Picchi MA, Stidley CA, Lee SJ, Aisner S, Siegfried JM, Ramalingam S, Khuri FR, Karp DD, Belinsky SA. Gene methylation biomarkers in sputum as a classifier for lung cancer risk. Oncotarget. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28754865.
- Kehl KL, Fullmer CP, Fu S, George GC, Hess KR, Janku F, Karp DD, Kato S, Kizer CK, Kurzrock R, Naing A, Pant S, Piha-Paul SA, Subbiah V, Tsimberidou AM, Hong DS. Insurance Clearance for Early-Phase Oncology Clinical Trials Following the Affordable Care Act. Clin Cancer Res. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28729355.
Books (edited and written)
- Karp, DD., Falchook, Gerald S.. Handbook of Targeted Cancer Therapy and Immunotherapy. In: 2019 Educational Book Second Edition. Ed(s) Karp, DD., Falchook, Gerald S. Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, 2019.