Assistant Professor, Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Disease Site(s): Effects of radiation on male reproduction and testicular cancer-- Dr. Shetty is investigating hormonal manipulations to minimize the sterilizing effects of cancer therapeutic agents. He discovered that testosterone is inhibiting the differentiation of spermatogonial stem cells after cytotoxic treatment and is elucidating the mechanisms in rodent and non-human primate model using different hormone treatments, molecular targeting of testosterone responsive genes, genetic analysis and transplantation of stem spermatogonial cells. Another area of his interest is studying the mechanism of the induction of testicular cancer by DNA damaging agents during fetal life. Recently he had a surprising breakthrough that in a genetically susceptible mouse model radiation and cyclophosphamide exposure at a specific period of fetal germ cell development dramatically induces testicular teratoma.
|1993||University of Mysore, Mysore, IND, PHD, Reproductive Biology|
|1980||University of Mysore, Mysore, IND, MS, Zoology|
|1978||University of Mysore, Mysore, IND, BS, Chemistry/Botany/Zoology|
|1997-2002||Postdoctoral Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1993-1997||Research Associate, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
Instructor, Department of Experimental Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Houston, TX, 2002 - 2006
Post Doc, Department of Radiation Oncology - Research, Division of Radiation Oncology, UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Houston, TX, 1997 - 2002
Research Associate, Department of Center for Reproductive Biology and Molecular Endocrinology, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1993 - 1997
Senior Research Assistant, Department of Center for Reproductive Biology and Molecular Endocrinology, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1992 - 1993
Lecturer, Department of Department of Zoology, University of Mysore, Mysore, 1989 - 1992
|2002||H. Rodney Withers Lecture Award, RADONC, U. T. M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|1984||Senior Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research|
|1981||Junior Research Fellowship, University Grants Commission|
- Zhou W, Bolden-Tiller OU, Shetty G, Shao SH, Weng CC, Pakarinen P, Liu Z, Stivers DN, Meistrich ML. Changes in Gene Expression in Somatic Cells of Rat Testes Resulting from Hormonal Modulation and Radiation-Induced Germ Cell Depletion. Biol Reprod 82(1):54-65, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19684331.
- Porter KL, Shetty G, Shuttlesworth GA, Weng CC, Huhtaniemi I, Pakarinen P, Meistrich ML. Estrogen enhances recovery from radiation-induced spermatogonial arrest in rat testes. J Androl 30(4):440-51, 2009. PMID: 19136390.
- Dakhova O, O'Day D, Kinet N, Yucer N, Wiese M, Shetty G, Ducy P. Dickkopf-like1 regulates postpubertal spermatocyte apoptosis and testosterone production. Endocrinology 150(1):404-12, 2009. PMID: 18818293.
- Shetty G, Shao SH, Weng CC. p53-dependent apoptosis in the inhibition of spermatogonial differentiation in juvenile spermatogonial depletion (Utp14bjsd) mice. Endocrinology 149(6):2773-81, 2008. PMID: 18356279.
- Zhang Z, Shao S, Shetty G, Meistrich ML. Donor Sertoli cells transplanted into irradiated rat testes stimulate partial recovery of endogenous spermatogenesis. Reproduction 137(3):497-508, 2008. PMID: 19036951.
- Bolden-Tiller OU, Chiarini-Garcia H, Poirier C, Alves-Freitas D, Weng CC, Shetty G, Meistrich ML. Genetic factors contributing to defective spermatogonial differentiation in juvenile spermatogonial depletion (Utp14bjsd) mice. Biol Reprod 77(2):237-46, 2007. PMID: 17475932.
- Shetty G, Weng CC, Meachem SJ, Bolden-Tiller OU, Zhang Z, Pakarinen P, Huhtaniemi I, Meistrich ML. Both testosterone and follicle-stimulating hormone independently inhibit spermatogonial differentiation in irradiated rats. Endocrinology 147(1):472-82, 2006. PMID: 16210366.
- Porter KL, Shetty G, Meistrich ML. Testicular edema is associated with spermatogonial arrest in irradiated rats. Endocrinology 147(3):1297-305, 2006. PMID: 16306082.
- Shetty G, Weng CC, Porter KL, Zhang Z, Pakarinen P, Kumar TR, Meistrich ML. Spermatogonial differentiation in juvenile spermatogonial depletion (jsd) mice with androgen receptor or follicle-stimulating hormone mutations. Endocrinology 147(7):3563-70, 2006. PMID: 16627582.
- Boekelheide K, Schoenfeld HA, Hall SJ, Weng CC, Shetty G, Leith J, Harper J, Sigman M, Hess DL, Meistrich ML. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist (Cetrorelix) therapy fails to protect nonhuman primates (Macaca arctoides) from radiation-induced spermatogenic failure. J Androl 26(2):222-34, 2005. PMID: 15713828.
- Shetty G, Weng CC, Bolden-Tiller OU, Huhtaniemi I, Handelsman DJ, Meistrich ML. Effects of medroxyprogesterone and estradiol on the recovery of spermatogenesis in irradiated rats. Endocrinology 145(10):4461-9, 2004. PMID: 15205377.
- Shetty G, Weng CC. Cryptorchidism rescues spermatogonial differentiation in juvenile spermatogonial depletion (jsd) mice. Endocrinology 145(1):126-33, 2004. PMID: 14500567.
|Title:||Reversal of Spermatogonial Arrest in Mice|
|Title:||Activation of Spermatogenic Recovery after Toxic Insult|
|Title:||Optimizing Spermatogonial transplantation for fertility preservation|