I have been awarded two research grants from Varian Medical Systems titled “Predict and Adapt for Dose Variation in Spot Scanning Proton Therapy from Setup and Anatomical Change,” 2013-2014, and “Minimizing dose uncertainty for spot scanning proton beam of moving tumors by optimization of the spot delivery sequence,” 2015-2017, with the total sum of $241, 272.
I am also a co-investigator on the P01/U19, “Optimizing Proton Therapy” and “Improving the Clinical Effectiveness and Understanding of the Biophysical Basis of Proton Therapy.” My responsibility on this grant is to provide clinical physics support and collaborate with other researchers to implement new technologies in the clinic. I am also a collaborator/physics co-chair on two clinical protocols investigating proton radiotherapy for lung cancer.
There are unique challenges and research opportunities in proton radiation therapy, especially scanning beam proton therapy, since it is a relative novel technology. My research interests are to develop novel imaging and treatment techniques to reduce patient dose uncertainty, evaluate dose delivered to the patient, and analyze the patient response. Furthermore, by combining imaging and in vivo dosimetry techniques with deformable registration, we can establish a better understanding of dose/response curve for individual patients. My research in the past few years has been focused on remedying the motion induced dose uncertainty for scanning beam proton therapy.
|2006||The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA, PHD, Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|2000||South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, CHN, MS, Electrical Engineering|
|2008-2010||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology Physics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2008||Research Fellowship, Radiation Oncology Physics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2011||American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Physics, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Instructor, Department of Radiation Physics, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2011
Resident, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2010
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Radiation Physics, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2008
Research Assistant, Department of Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 2000 - 2006
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Residency Rotation Supervisory Committee, Department of Radiation Physics, 2015 - Present
Member, Grand Round Committee, Division of Radiation Oncology, 2015 - Present
- Li Y, Kardar L, Li X, Li H, Cao W, Chang JY, Liao L, Zhu RX, Sahoo N, Gillin M, Liao Z, Komaki R, Cox JD, Lim G, Zhang X. On the interplay effects with proton scanning beams in stage III lung cancer. Med Phys 41 (2) :021721, 2014. PMID: 24506612.
- Olch AJ, Gerig L, Li H, Mihaylov I, Morgan A. Dosimetric effects caused by couch tops and immobilization devices: report of AAPM Task Group 176. Med Phys 41 (6) :061501, 2014. PMID: 24877795.
- Li H, Liu W, Park P, Matney J, Liao Z, Chang J, Zhang X, Li Y, Zhu RX. Evaluation of the systematic error in using 3D dose calculation in scanning beam proton therapy for lung cancer. J Appl Clin Med Phys 15 (5) :4810, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25207565.
- Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Li H, Zhang X, Sahoo N, Wu RY, Li X, Lee AK, Chang EL, Choi S, Pugh T, Frank SJ, Gillin MT, Mahajan A, Grosshans DR. A single-field integrated boost treatment planning technique for spot scanning proton therapy. Radiat Oncol 9:202, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25212571.
- Chang JY, Li H, Zhu XR, Liao Z, Zhao L, Liu A, Li Y, Sahoo N, Poenisch F, Gomez DR, Wu R, Gillin M, Zhang X. Clinical Implementation of Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy for Thoracic Malignancies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90 (4) :809–818, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25260491.
- Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Lii M, Sawakuchi GO, Titt U, Bues M, Song X, Zhang X, Li Y, Ciangaru G, Li H, Taylor MB, Suzuki K, Mohan R, Gillin MT, Sahoo N. Commissioning dose computation models for spot scanning proton beams in water for a commercially available treatment planning system. Med Phys 40 (4) :041723, 2013. PMID: 23556893.
- Park PC, Cheung JP, Zhu XR, Lee AK, Sahoo N, Tucker SL, Liu W, Li H, Mohan R, Court LE, Dong L. Statistical Assessment of Proton Treatment Plans Under Setup and Range Uncertainties. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 86 (5) :1007-13, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23688812.
- Mackin D, Li Y, Taylor MB, Kerr M, Holmes C, Sahoo N, Poenisch F, Li H, Lii J, Amos R, Wu R, Suzuki K, Gillin MT, Zhu XR, Zhang X. Improving spot scanning proton therapy patient specific quality assurance with HPlusQA, a second check dose calculation engine. Med Phys 40 (12) :121708, 2013. PMID: 24320494.
- Matney J, Park PC, Bluett J, Chen YP, Liu W, Court LE, Liao Z, Li H, Mohan R. Effects of respiratory motion on passively scattered proton therapy versus intensity modulated photon therapy for stage III lung cancer: are proton plans more sensitive to breathing motion?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 87 (3) :576-82, 2013. PMID: 24074932.
- Li H, Park P, Liu W, Matney J, Liao Z, Balter P, Li Y, Zhang X, Li X, Zhu XR. Patient-specific quantification of respiratory motion-induced dose uncertainty for step-and-shoot IMRT of lung cancer. Med Phys 40 (12) :121712, 2013. PMID: 24320498.
- Li H, Sahoo N, Poenisch F, Suzuki K, Li Y, Li X, Zhang X, Lee AK, Gillin MT, Zhu XR. Use of treatment log files in spot scanning proton therapy as part of patient-specific quality assurance. Med Phys 40 (2) :021703, 2013. PMID: 23387726.
- Li H, Li Y, Zhang X, Li X, Liu W, Gillin MT, Zhu XR. Dynamically accumulated dose and 4D accumulated dose for moving tumors. Med Phys 39 (12) :7359-67, 2012. PMID: 23231285.
- Li H, Lee AK, Johnson JL, Zhu RX, Kudchadker RJ. Characterization of dose impact on IMRT and VMAT from couch attenuation for two Varian couches. J Appl Clin Med Phys 12 (3) :3471, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21844859.
- Li H, Dong L, Zhang L, Yang JN, Gillin MT, Zhu XR. Toward a better understanding of the gamma index: Investigation of parameters with a surface-based distance method. Med Phys 38 (12) :6730, 2011. PMID: 22149855.
- Li H, Zhang L, Dong L, Sahoo N, Gillin MT, Zhu XR. A CT-based software tool for evaluating compensator quality in passively scattered proton therapy. Phys Med Biol 55 (22) :6759-81, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21030745.
- Zhu XR, Sahoo N, Zhang X, Robertson D, Li H, Choi S, Lee AK, Gillin MT. Intensity modulated proton therapy treatment planning using single field optimization: the impact of monitor unit constraints on plan quality. Med Phys 37 (3) :1210-1219, 2010. PMID: 20384258.
- Li H, Mawlawi OR, Zhu RX, Zheng Y. Blind Deblurring Reconstruction Technique with Applications in PET Imaging. Int J Biomed Imaging 2009:718157, 2009. PMID: 19547704.
- Li H, Zhu XR, Zhang L, Dong L, Tung S, Anand A, Chao KS, Morrison WH, Rosenthal DI, Schwartz DL, Mohan R, Garden AS. Comparison of 2D radiographic images and 3D cone beam computed tomography for positioning head-and-neck radiotherapy patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71 (3) :916-925, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18395358.
- Li H, Mohan R, Zhu XR. Scatter kernel estimation with an edge-spread function method for cone-beam computed tomography imaging. Phys Med Biol 53 (23) :6729-48, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18997269.
- Li H, Zheng Y. Application of Blind Deblurring Reconstruction Technique to SPECT Imaging. Int J Biomed Imaging 2007:63750, 2007. PMID: 18274654.
- Li H, Zheng Y, More JM, Goodable PJ, Williams MB. Lesion Quantification in Dual-Modality Mammotomography. IEEE Tran Nuci Sci 54:107-115, 2007.
- Moré MJ, Li H, Goodale PJ, Zheng Y, Majewski, S, Popov V, Welch B, Williams MB. Limited angle dual modality breast imaging. IEEE Tran Nuci Sci 54:504-513, 2007.
- Moré MJ, Li H, Goodable PJ, Zheng Y, Majewski S, Welch B, Williams MB. Lesion radioactivity concentration estimation using dual modality gamma ray/X-ray imaging. Phys Med 21 Suppl 1:68-71, 2006. PMID: 17645998.
- Cao W, Lim G, Liao L, Li Y, Jiang S, Li X, Li H, Suzuki K, Zhu XR, Gomez D, Zhang X. Proton energy optimization and reduction for intensity-modulated proton therapy. Phys Med Biol 59 (21) :6341-6354. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25295881.
- Li H, Sahoo N, Poenisch F, Suzuki K, Li Y, Li X, Zhang X, Lee AK, Gillin MT, Zhu XR. Use of treatment log files in spot scanning proton therapy as part of patient-specific quality assurance. Med Phys 40 (2) :021702, 2013. PMID: 23387726.
- LI H, Dong L, Zhang L, Yang JN, Gillin M, Mohan R, Zhu XR. Surfaced based distance measures with treatment technique specific gradient factor for IMRT QA tolerances determination. AAPM 37:3399, 2010.
- Li H, Zhu XR, Ciangaru G, Sahoo N, Suzuki K, Lee A, Gillin M. Spot position uncertainty of scanning proton pencil beam. Med Phys 36:2587, 2009.
- Li H, Lee A, Zhu XR, Kudchadker R. The effect of treatment couch attenuation on radiation dose for megavoltage photon beams. Med Phys 36:2580, 2009.
- Kudchadker R, Li H, Johnson J, Lee AK. Imaging study to determine appropriate implanted fiducial markers for proton or photon image guided radiation therapy. Med Phys 36:2485, 2009.
- Li H, Sahoo n, Dong L, Gillin MT, Mohan R, Zhu XR. Effect of CT calibration phantom size on the range in proton radiation therapy. AAPM 35:2693, 2008.
- Li H, Sahoo N, Dong L, Gillin MT, Mohan R, Zhu XR. CT artifacts of high-density materials in proton radiation therapy, 2008 AAPM Houston, TX. Med Phys 35:2693, 2008.
- Li H, Mohan R, Zhu XR. X-ray scatter in a clinical CBCT system. AAMP 34:2371, 2007.
- Li H, Mohan R, Zhu XR. Scatter kernel estimation and correction with edge-spread-function method for CBCT imaging. AAPM 34:2328-9, 2007.
- Li H, Zhu XR, Zhang L, Dong L, Ahamad A, Chao KSC, Morrison WR, Rosenthal DI, Schartz DL, Garden AS. Assessment of positioning accuracy of head and neck patients receiving IMRT using on-board imaging and cone beam CT, ASTRO Meeting. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:S:144-5, 2006.
- Li H, Mohan R, Zhu XR. Derivation of scatter kernel in CBCT imaging system. IEEE, Asilomar Converence on Signals, Systems, and Computers:1851-54, 2006.
- Li H, Zheng Y. Blind deblurring reconstruction technique with applications in SPECT imaging. IEEE Proceedings of 2006 International Conference on Image Processing:905-908, 2006.
- Li H, Zheng Y, Stolin AV, Kundu BK, Williams MB. Half-Cone SPECT system for small animal imaging. IEEE Proceedings of 2006 International Symposium on Biomedical imaging:1236-39, 2006.
- More MJ, Goodale PJ, Li H, Zheng Y, Williams MB. Limited angle dual modality breast imaging. IEEE Proceedings fo 2004 Nuclear Science symposium and Medical Imaging Conference:2407-11, 2004.
- Li H, Zheng Y, More MJ, Goodale PH, Williams MB. Lesion quantification in dual-modality mammorgaphy using expectation maximization with attenuation correction. IEEE Proceedings of 2004 International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging:1392-25, 2004.
- More MJ, Goodale PJ, Li H, Zheng Y, Williams MB. Estimation of lesion radiotracer uptake in breast scintigraphy using digital mammography. University of North Carolina, 2004.
- Kieper D, Majewski S, Goodale PH, Kross B, Kundu BK, Li H, More MJ, Narayanan D, Popov V, Smith MF, Weisenberger AG, Welch B, Williams MB, Wojcki R, Zheng Y. Improved lesion visibility in a dedicated dual head scintimammography system - phantom results. IEEE 2002 Nuclear Science Symposium Conference:1344-46, 2002.
- Zheng Y, Li H. Generalized algebraic reconstruction techniques. Proceedings of SPIE 4792:19-25, 2002.
|Title:||Minimizing dose uncertainty for spot scanning proton beam of moving tumors by optimization|
|Funding Source:||Varian Medical Systems|