Meet Jennifer Wang, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
As an active member of SWOG (Southwest Oncology Group) I am able to contribute to a cooperative group that designs and conducts multidisciplinary clinical trials that exist to improve the practice of detection, prevention and treatment of cancer. In particular, I’m currently involved in a phase III randomized clinical trial study involving androgen deprivation therapy and orteronel to see how well it works compared to androgen deprivation therapy and bicalutamide in treating patients with newly diagnosed prostate cancer that has spread to other places in the body. Androgen deprivation therapy suppresses or blocks the production or action of male hormones. Androgens can cause the growth of prostate cancer cells. Drugs, such as orteronel and bicalutamide, may lessen the amount of androgens made by the body. This trial will assist us in gaining more knowledge to whether or not giving androgen deprivation therapy with orteronel or bicalutamide is more effective in treating prostate cancer. With my continued support in these studies, I am able to become more involved in the process of integrating main campus department trials into the regional care centers. http://utm-ext01a.mdacc.tmc.edu/Dept/PROT/clinicaltrialswp.nsf/Index/SWOGS1216
|2007||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2003||Duke University, Durham, NC, USA, BS, Anthropology and Anatomy|
|2010-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology/Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2007-2010||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2013||American Board of Hematology|
|2013||American Board of Medical Oncology|
|2010||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Departmental Regional Care Center Liaison, Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
|2017||Nationally Recognized in the Top 1 Percentile on CAHPS Scores, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Bilen MA, Hess KR, Campbell MT, Wang J, Broaddus RR, Karam JA, Ward JF, Wood CG, Choi SL, Rao P, Zhang M, Naing A, General R, Cauley DH, Lin SH, Logothetis CJ, Pisters LL, Tu SM. Intratumoral heterogeneity and chemoresistance in nonseminomatous germ cell tumor of the testis. Oncotarget 7(52):86280-86289, 2016. PMID: 27861143.
- Wang J, Pettaway CA, Pagliaro LC. Reply: To PMID 25819619. Urology 85(5):1110, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25819623.
- Wang J, Pettaway CA, Pagliaro LC. Treatment for metastatic penile cancer after first-line chemotherapy failure: analysis of response and survival outcomes. Urology 85(5):1104-10, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25819619.
- Motzer RJ, Jonasch E, Agarwal N, Beard C, Bhayani S, Bolger GB, Chang SS, Choueiri TK, Derweesh IH, Gupta S, Hancock SL, Kim JJ, Kuzel TM, Lam ET, Lau C, Levine EG, Lin DW, Margolin KA, Michaelson MD, Olencki T, Pili R, Plimack ER, Rampersaud EN, Redman BG, Ryan CJ, Sheinfeld J, Sircar K, Somer B, Wang J, Wilder RB, Dwyer MA, Kumar R, Natiomal compresensive cancer networks. Kidney cancer, version 2.2014. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 12(2):175-82, 2014. PMID: 24586079.
- Wang J, Wei C, Noor R, Burke A, McIntyre S, Bedikian AY. Surveillance for brain metastases in patients receiving systemic therapy for advanced melanoma. Melanoma Res 24(1):54-60, 2014. PMID: 24121189.
- Graham BH, Li Z, Alesii EP, Versteken P, Lee C, Wang J, Craigen WJ. Neurologic dysfunction and male infertility in Drosophila porin mutants: a new model for mitochondrial dysfunction and disease. J Biol Chem 285(15):11143-53, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20110367.
- Fisher D, Jeffreys A, Bosworth H, Wang J, Lipscomb J, Provenzale D. Quality of life in patients with Barrett's esophagus undergoing surveillance. Am J Gastroenterol 97(9):2193-200, 2002. PMID: 12358232.
- Msaouel P, Bilen MA, Zhang M, Campbell M, Wang J, Tu SM. Recent developments in the management of germ cell tumors. Curr Opin Oncol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28151756.
- Nizar M. Tannir, Jeremy Aaron Ross, Catherine E Devine, Anuradha Chandramohan, Xuemei Wang, Zita Dubauskas Lim, Jennifer Wang, Paul Gettys Corn, Amado J. Zurita. A randomized phase II trial of pazopanib (PAZ) vs. temsirolimus (TEM) in patients (pts) with advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma (accRCC) with intermediate or poor-risk disease (the TemPa trial). 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting, 2018.
- Eleni Efstathiou, Xuemei Wang, Amado J. Zurita, Shi-Ming Tu, Ana Aparicio, Jennifer Wang, Paul Gettys Corn, Sumit Kumar Subudhi, John C. Araujo, Lawanda K Reece, Lisa Pruitt, Michael L Vanalstine, Christopher Logothetis. A randomized study of finite abiraterone acetate (AA) plus leuprolide (LHRHa) versus LHRHa in biochemically recurrent non metastatic hormone naïve prostate cancer (M0HNPC). 2018 ASCO Annual Meeting, 2018.
- Bilen MA, Hess KR, Campbell MT, Wang J, Broaddus RR, Karam JA, Ward JF, Wood CG, Choi SL, Rao P, Zhang M, Naing A, General R, Cauley DH, Lin SH, Logothetis CJ, Pisters LL, Tu SM. Intratumoral heterogeneity and chemoresistance in nonseminomatous germ cell tumor of the testis. Oncotarget 7(52):86280-86289, 2016. e-Pub 2016.
- Campbell MT, McConkey DJ, Matina SF, Kamat AM, Dinney CP, Wang J, Gao JJ, Siefker-Radtke AO. The hotspot mutational landscape of upper tract and bladder urothelial cancers and correlation to survival. J Clin Oncol, 2016.
- Bilen MA, Hess KR, Campbell MT, Wang J, Broaddus RR, Karam JA, Ward JF, Wood CG, Rao P, Zhang M, General R, Cauley DH, Lin SH, Pisters LL, Tu SM. Intratumoral hterogeneity and chemo-resistance in nonseminomatous germ cell tumor of the testis. J Clin Oncol, 2016.
- Wang J, Rodriguez J, Pao P, Pettaway CA, Pagliaro LC. Programmed death ligand-1 (PD-L1) expression in penile squamous cell carcinoma. 2015 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium, 2015.
- Brian Francis Chapin, Wang J. A prospective, multicenter, randomized phase II trial of best systemic therapy (BST) or BST plus definitive treatment (Surgery or Radiation) of the primary tumor in metastatic prostate cancer. 2015 ASCO Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Paul Gettys Corn, Wang J. A multi-institutional randomized phase II study (NCT01505868) of cabazitaxel (CAB) plus or minus carboplatin (CARB) in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). 2015 ASCO Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Wang J, Tu SM, Pagliaro LC, Weiss M, Haidenberg J, Tseng J, Wade JL, Belt RJ, Cannon MW, Fisch M. A prospective randomized phase III trial comparing consolidation therapy with or without strontium-89 following induction chemotherapy in androgen-independent prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 32(suppl 4), 2014.
- Wang J, Pettaway CA, Pagliaro LC. Salvage treatment for metastatic penile cancer after the first line chemotherapy with paclitaxel, ifosfamide, and cisplatin: Analysis of response and survival outcomes. GU ASCO Symposium Proceedings, 2012.
- Wang J., Patel S, Huw WJ, Kim K, Papadopoulos N, Hwu P, Radvanyi L, Mahoney S, Debutt T, Basset R, Bedikian A. Development of brain metastases in patients with metastatic melanoma treated with ipilimumab plus temozolomide. J Clin Oncol, 2012.
- Mougalian S, Wang J, Zarzour MA, Quinn D, Rieber A. Feasibility and savings of a suspicion of cancer clinic at a large county hospital. ASCO Quality Care Symposium, 2012.
- Wang J, Pagliaro L. Chemotherapy in the combined modality treatment of penile carcinoma. In: Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy: Croatia, 2012.