About Dr. Shen
With a broad background in molecular biology, cancer biology and molecular epidemiology, I have accumulated extensive experience in cancer molecular epidemiological research, focusing on molecular and genetic cancer biomarkers and cancer genetic susceptibility. I have been working on b iomarkers of cancer early detection, diagnosis, progression, cancer staging and tumor characterization, treatment response and survival in different kind of cancers. As the contact PI of the RO3 focusing on mitochondrial DNA (MtDNA) heteroplasmy and breast cancer risk, I successfully administered the project and collaborated with other researchers. As the co-investigator on NIH- and DOD-funded grants, I have participated in cancer biomarker research focusing on identifying blood based non-invasive biomarkers such as circulating microRNAs, MtDNA copy number variation and metabolites in different kind of cancers including breast/ovarian cancer, glioma and melanoma. I also participated in studies about association of genetic variations in microRNA genes and their related genes, allelic imbalance of BRCA1/2, GWAS discovered risk alleles, with breast/ovarian cancer development and risk, and studies on MEN1-related HPT and Mexican American cohort. In addition, I have been working on survival biomarkers of lung cancer patients including metabolites, the role of metabolites and microRNA-related genetic variations in breast cancer racial disparity, cancer lncRNAs, exosomal microRNAs, DNA methylation, exome sequenicing, metabolic hormone, blood test markers, etc. To date, I have published 26 peer-reviewed papers, and I’m the first author of 15 of them. In summary, I have a demonstrated record of successful and productive research projects in cancer molecular epidemiological research, especially cancer biomarker research.
Instructor, Department of Epidemiology, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Biomarkers of cancer early detection, diagnosis, progression, cancer staging and tumor characterization, treatment response and survival
Mitochondrial DNA and cancer risk
Metabolomics in cancer research
MicroRNAs and cancer development
|2003||The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Cancer Biology|
|1996||Fudan University, Shanghai, CHN, MS, Microbiology|
|1991||Fudan University, Shanghai, CHN, BS, Microbiology|
- Shen J, Hu Q, Schrauder M, Yan L, Wang D, Medico L, Gu Y, Yao S, Zhu Q, Liu B, Qin M, Beckmann MW, Fasching PA, Strick R, Johnson CS, Amtrosone CB, Zhao H, Liu S. Circulating miR-148b and miR-133a as biomarkers for breast cancer detection. Oncotarget 5(14):5284-94, 2014. PMID: 25051376.
- Shen J, Yan L, Liu S, Ambrosone CB, Zhao H. Plasma metabolomic profiles in breast cancer patients and healthy controls: by race and tumor receptor subtypes. Transl Oncol 6(6):757-65, 2013. PMID: 24466379.
- McCann SE, Liu S, Wang D, Shen J, Hu Q, Hong CC, Newman VA, Zhao H. Reduction of dietary glycaemic load modifies the expression of microRNA potentially associated with energy balance and cancer pathways in pre-menopausal women. Br J Nutr 109(4):585-92, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22647265.
- Shen J, Wang D, Gregory SR, Medico L, Hu Q, Yan L, Odunsi K, Lele SB, Ambrosone CB, Liu S, Zhao H. Evaluation of microRNA expression profiles and their associations with risk alleles in lymphoblastoid cell lines of familial ovarian cancer. Carcinogenesis 33(3):604-12, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22235027.
- Shen J, Medico L, Zhao H. Allelic imbalance in BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene expression and familial ovarian cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20(1):50-6, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21119070.
- Shen J, DiCioccio R, Odunsi K, Lele SB, Zhao H. Novel genetic variants in miR-191 gene and familial ovarian cancer. BMC Cancer 10:47, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20167074.
- Zhao H, Shen J, Medico L, Platek M, Ambrosone CB. Length heteroplasmies in human mitochondrial DNA control regions and breast cancer risk. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet 1(3):184-92, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21537390.
- Shen J, Platek M, Mahasneh A, Ambrosone CB, Zhao H. Mitochondrial copy number and risk of breast cancer: a pilot study. Mitochondrion 10(1):62-8, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19788937.
- Zhao H, Shen J, Medico L, Wang D, Ambrosone CB, Liu S. A pilot study of circulating miRNAs as potential biomarkers of early stage breast cancer. PLoS One 5(10):e13735, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21060830.
- Shen J, Ambrosone CB, Zhao H. Novel genetic variants in microRNA genes and familial breast cancer. Int J Cancer 124(5):1178-82, 2009. PMID: 19048628.
- Shen J, Ambrosone CB, DiCioccio RA, Odunsi K, Lele SB, Zhao H. A functional polymorphism in the miR-146a gene and age of familial breast/ovarian cancer diagnosis. Carcinogenesis 29(10):1963-6, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18660546.
- Shen J, Deininger P, Hunt JD, Zhao H. 8-Hydroxy-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-OH-dG) as a potential survival biomarker in patients with nonsmall-cell lung cancer. Cancer 109(3):574-80, 2007. PMID: 17154177.
- Zhao H, Shen J, Deininger P, Hunt JD. Abasic sites and survival in resected patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett 246(1-2):47-53, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16519994.
- Shen J, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Feng L, Lee JJ, Hong WK, Lotan R. Identification and validation of differences in protein levels in normal, premalignant, and malignant lung cells and tissues using high-throughput Western Array and immunohistochemistry. Cancer Res 66(23):11194-206, 2006. PMID: 17145864.
- Shen J, Deininger PL, Zhao H. Applications of computational algorithm tools to identify functional SNPs in cytokine genes. Cytokine 35(1-2):62-6, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16919468.
|Title:||Mitochondrial DNA heteroplasmy and breast cancer risk|
|Title:||MicroRNA: A novel genetic modifier for breast cancer predisposition|
|Title:||Mitochondrial: A novel genetic modifier for breast cancer risk in Caucasian and African American women|