L.E. & Virginia Simmons Senior Fellow, Division of Health and Technology Policy, Rice University, James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Genomic Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Member, Graduate Faculty, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
|1965||Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA, USA, Resident, Medicine|
|1963||Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1959||University of Glasgow, Glasgow, XSC, Fulbright Scholar, Molecular Biology|
|1958||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, BA, Biochemical Science|
|1968-1970||Fellow, Hematology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO|
|1967-1968||Senior Resident, Medicine, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA|
|1967-1968||Assistant, Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA|
|1965-1967||Research Associate, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD|
|1964-1965||Assistant Resident, Medicine, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA|
|1963-1964||Clinical Internship, Medicine, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA|
|1979||American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology|
|1973||American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology|
|1969||American Board of Internal Medicine|
President, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1996 - 2011
|2016||Award of Excellence, Hope Funds for Cancer Research|
|2016||Giants of Cancer Care - Scientific Advances, OncLive|
|2016||Lifetime Achievement Award, Indo-American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Houston (IACCGH)|
|2015||History-Making Texas Award, Texas State History Museum Foundation|
|2014||Recognized as one of ASCO's Oncology Luminaries (50th Anniversary), American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|
|2013||Geoffrey Beene Builders of Science Award, Research!America (Benefactor: The Geoffrey Beene Foundation)|
|2013||Helmholtz International Fellow Award, German Cancer Research Center in the Helmholtz Association|
|2013||PTV Star of Excellence Award, PTV Sciences|
|2013||Elected Fellow - American Academy of Arts and Sciences, AAAS|
|2012||Sixth Annual American Association for Cancer Research Margaret Foti Award for Leadership and Extraordinary Achievements in Cancer Research, American Association for Cancer Research|
|2012||Charles A. LeMaistre, M.D. Outstanding Achievement Award in Cancer|
|2011||Medal of Honor, American Cancer Society|
|2011||Heath Memorial Award, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2010||Ernest W. Bertner Memorial Award, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2009||Lila Gruber Memorial Cancer Research Award, American Academy of Dermatology|
|2009||Lifetime Achievement Award, 10th International Workshop on Molecular Targeted Therapy of Cancer|
|2008||Dorothy P. Landon − AACR Prize for Translational Cancer Research, American Association for Cancer Research|
|2007||The Norman Vincent and Ruth Stafford Peale Humanitarian Award. Jointly awarded with his wife, Guideposts|
|2007||AICF Prize for Scientific Excellence in Medicine (jointly with Dr. Jose Baselga), American-Italian Cancer Foundation|
|2006||Future Time Dimension - in the Field of Cancer Therapy, Dan David Prize and Dan David Foundation|
|2006||Loving Hearts and Caring Hands Award, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2006||Honorary Doctorate Degree, Yonsei University, Seoul Korea|
|2006||Honorary Doctorate Degree, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan|
|2005||Fulbright Lifetime Achievement Medal|
|2005||Honorary Doctorate Degree, Naples University, Italy|
|2004||27th Bristol-Myers Squibb Freedom to Discover Award for Distinguished Achievement in Cancer Research, Bristol-Myers Squibb|
|2002||Simon M. Shubitz Award, University of Chicago Cancer Center Research Foundation|
|2002||David A. Karnofsky Memorial Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|1999||4th Joseph H. Burchenal American Association for Cancer Research Clinical Research Award, American Association for Cancer Research|
|1999||Elected Member, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences|
|1997||Raymond Bourgine Award for Excellence in Cancer Research|
|1997||Bristol-Myers Squibb Cancer Research Award|
|1997||Gold Medal of Paris|
|1997||Phi Beta Kappa Outstanding Alumnus Award, Phi Beta Kappa Alumni of Greater Houston|
|1997||Jill Rose Award for Outstanding Breast Cancer Research, Breast Cancer Research Foundation|
|1990||Merit Award, National Cancer Institute Grant|
|1985||"Headliner of the Year" in Medicine, Press Association|
|1982||Professor of Clinical Oncology, American Cancer Society|
|1973||Research Career Development Award, National Institutes of Health|
|1963||First Prize, Boylston Society Essay Contest, Harvard Medical School|
|1962||Alpha Omega Alpha, Harvard Medical School|
|1958||Phi Beta Kappa, Harvard College|
|1958||United States Fulbright Scholar in Biochemistry, University of Glasgow, Scotland|
- Baselga J, Pfister D, Cooper MR, Cohen R, Burtness B, Bos M, D'Andrea G, Seidman A, Norton L, Gunnett K, Falcey J, Anderson V, Waksal H, Mendelsohn J. Phase I studies of anti-epidermal growth factor receptor chimeric antibody C225 alone and in combination with cisplatin. J Clin Oncol 18 (4) :904-14, 2000.
- Baselga J, Tripathy D, Mendelsohn J, Baughman S, Benz CC, Dantis L, Sklarin NT, Seidman AD, Hudis CA, Moore J, Rosen PP, Twaddell T, Henderson IC, Norton L. Phase II study of weekly intravenous trastuzumab (Herceptin) in patients with HER2/neu-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. Seminars in Oncology 26 (4 Suppl 12) :78-83, 1999.
- Wu X, Rubin M, Fan Z, DeBlasio T, Soos T, Koff A, Mendelsohn J. Involvement of p27KIP1 in G1 arrest mediated by an anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody. Oncogene 12 (7) :1397-403, 1996.
- Fan Z, Baselga J, Masui H, Mendelsohn J. Antitumor effect of anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibodies plus cis-diamminedichloroplatinum on well established A431 cell xenografts. Cancer Research 53 (19) :4637-42, 1993.
- Baselga J, Norton L, Masui H, Pandiella A, Coplan K, Miller WH, Jr, Mendelsohn J. Antitumor effects of doxorubicin in combination with anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibodies. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 85 (16) :1327-33, 1993.
- Divgi CR, Welt S, Kris M, Real FX, Yeh SDJ, Gralla R, Merchant B, Schweighart S, Unger M, Larson SM, Mendelsohn J. Phase I and imaging trial of indium 111-labeled anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibody 225 in patients with squamous cell lung carcinoma. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 83 (2) :97-104, 1991.
- Van de Vijver MJ, Kumar R, Mendelsohn J. Ligand-induced activation of A431 cell epidermal growth factor receptors occurs primarily by an autocrine pathway that acts upon receptors on the surface rather than intracellularly. J Biol Chem 266 (12) :7503-8, 1991.
- Gill GN, Kawamoto T, Cochet C, Le A, Sato JD, Masui H, McLeod C, Mendelsohn J. Monoclonal anti-epidermal growth factor receptor antibodies which are inhibitors of epidermal growth factor binding and antagonists of epidermal growth factor binding and antagonists of epidermal growth factor-stimulated tyrosine protein kinase activity. J Biol Chem 259 (12) :7755-60, 1984.
- Masui H, Kawamoto T, Sato JD, Wolf B, Sato G, Mendelsohn J. Growth inhibition of human tumor cells in athymic mice by anti-epidermal growth factor receptor monoclonal antibodies. Cancer Research 44 (3) :1002-7, 1984.
- Kawamoto T, Sato JD, Le A, Polikoff J, Sato GH, Mendelsohn J. Growth stimulation of A431 cells by epidermal growth factor: identification of high-affinity receptors for epidermal growth factor by an anti-receptor monoclonal antibody. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 80 (5) :1337-41, 1983.
- Mendelsohn J. Targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor for cancer therapy. J Clin Oncol 20:1S-13S, 2002.
- Apostolia Maria Tsimberidou, Davis S. Hong, Carrie Cartwright, Jennifer J. Wheler, Gerald Falchook, Aung Naing, Siqing Fu, Sarina Anne Piha-Paul, Filip Janku, Patrick Hwu, Bryan K. Kee, Merrill S. Kies, Russell Broaddus, John Mendelsohn, Kenneth R. Hess, Razelle Kurzrock. Initiative for Molecular Profiling and Advanced Cancer Therapy (IMPACT): An MD Anderson Precision Medicine Study. ASCO Annual Meeting, 2017.
|Title:||The Breast Cancer Research Foundation Grant|
|Funding Source:||The Breast Cancer Research Foundation|