About Dr. Steele
Dr. Steele is a Professor of Interventional Radiology who has research interests in quality, patient safety and health care delivery. He has numerous publications in peer-reviewed journals, and ongoing funded research these areas. As a cancer survivor, Dr. Steele has a personal interest in the advancement of high-value, patient-centered care. Currently, as the Deputy Division Head of Operations for Diagnostic Imaging, he is responsible for the clinical care of over 1500 patients per day. Dr. Steele is a Fellow of the Society of Interventional Radiology and the University of Texas Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Program.
Deputy Division Head of Clinical Operations, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Division Head ad interim, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Professor, Department of Department of Interventional Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX
Research interests includes continuous quality improvement and process improvement and outcomes analysis and value based imaging.
|2012||Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, MMM, Health Care Administration|
|1993||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1989||Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, BA, Economics|
|2009-2009||Advanced Training Program in Health Care Delivery Improvement, Intermountain Health Care, Salt Lake City, UT|
|1997-1998||Clinical Fellowship, Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Washington University Medical Center, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, St. Louis, MO|
|1994-1997||Clinical Residency, Radiology, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, TX|
|1993-1994||Clinical Residency, Radiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN|
|2014||The American Board of Medical Quality Examination|
|2009||The American Board of Radiology, Maintenance of Certification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology|
|1999||The American Board of Radiology, Certificate of Added Qualification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology|
|1997||The American Board of Radiology|
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2013
Medical Director, Continuous Quality Improvement, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2011
Director, Department of Interventional Radiology, Littleton Hospital, Littleton, CO, 2006 - 2008
Director, Department of Interventional Radiology, Porter Hospital, Denver, CO, 2001 - 2004
|2009||Best Article of 2009 Award, Journal of American College of Radiology|
|1993||Valedictorian, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School|
|1992||Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School|
|1989||Southwestern Medical Foundation Academic Scholarship, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School|
|1989||Omicron Delta Epsilon, Economics Honor Society, Rice University|
- Steele JR, Jones K, Clarke RK, Shoemaker, S. Health Care Delivery Meets Hospitality: A Pilot Study in Radiology. Journal of the American College of Radiology 12(6):587-593, 2015.
- Loving VA, Edwards DB, Roche KT, Steele JR, Sapareto SA, Byrum SC, Schomer DF. Monte Carlo Simulation to Analyze the Cost-Benefit of Radioactive Seed Localization Versus Wire Localization for Breast-Conserving Surgery in Fee-for-Service Health Care Systems Compared With Accountable Care Organizations. AJR Am J Roentgenol 202(6):1383-8, 2014. PMID: 24848839.
- Steele JR, Clarke RK, Terrell JA, Brightmon TR. Improving Patient Access to an Interventional US Clinic. Radiographics 34(1):E18-23, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24428301.
- Black B, Jones A, Bassett R, Wallace, M Tam A, Gupta S, Steele, JR. SU-E-J-37: Radiation Dose during Chemoembolization: A Predictive Model. Med Phys 39(6):3660, 2012. PMID: 22756006.
- Steele JR, Sidhu MK, Swensen SJ, Murphy TP. Quality improvement in interventional radiology: an opportunity to demonstrate value and improve patient-centered care. J Vasc Interv Radiol 23(4):435-41; quiz 442, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22342483.
- Steele JR, Jones AK, Ninan EP. Quality initiatives: establishing an interventional radiology patient radiation safety program. Radiographics 32(1):277-87, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22095315.
- Steele JR. The role of RADPEER™ in the Joint Commission ongoing practice performance evaluation. J Am Coll Radiol 8(1):6-7, 2011. PMID: 21211756.
- Mendiratta-Lala M, Eisenberg RL, Steele JR, Boiselle PM, Kruskal JB. Quality Initiatives: Measuring and Managing the Procedural Competency of Radiologists. Radiographics 31(5):1477-88, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21719719.
- Duncan JR, Balter S, Becker GJ, Brady J, Brink JA, Bulas D, Chatfield MB, Choi S, Connolly BL, Dixon RG, Gray JE, Kee ST, Miller DL, Robinson DW, Sands MJ, Schauer DA, Steele JR, Street M, Thornton RH, Wise RA. Optimizing Radiation Use during Fluoroscopic Procedures: Proceedings from a Multidisciplinary Consensus Panel. J Vasc Interv Radiol 22(4):425-9, 2011. PMID: 21463753.
- Steele JR, Hovsepian DM, Schomer DF. The Joint Commission Practice Performance Evaluation: A Primer for Radiologists. J Am Coll Radiol 7(6):425-30, 2010. PMID: 20522395.
- Steele JR, Reilly JD. Bundled payments: bundled risk or bundled reward?. J Am Coll Radiol 7(1):43-49, 2010. PMID: 20129271.
- Steele JR, Wallace MJ, Hovsepian DM, James BC, Kundu S, Miller DL, Rose SC, Sacks D, Shah SS, Cardella JF. Guidelines for establishing a quality improvement program in interventional radiology. J Vasc Interv Radiol 21(5):617-25, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20299244.
- Steele JR, Schomer DF. Continuous quality improvement programs provide new opportunities to drive value innovation initiatives in hospital-based radiology practices. J Am Coll Radiol 6(7):491-9, 2009. PMID: 19560065.
- Hovsepian DM, Steele JR, Skinner CS, Malden ES. Transrectal versus transvaginal abscess drainage: survey of patient tolerance and effect on activities of daily living. Radiology 212(1):159-63, 1999. PMID: 10405736.
- Meler JD, Solomon MA, Steele JR, Yancy CW, Parkey RW, Fleckenstein JL. The MR appearance of volume overload in the lower extremities. J Comput Assist Tomogr 21(6):969-73, 1997. PMID: 9386292.
- Erb RE, Steele JR, Nance EP, Edwards JR. Traumatic anterior dislocation of the hip: spectrum of plain film and CT findings. AJR Am J Roentgenal 165(5):1215-9, 1995. PMID: 7572506AJR.
- Steele JR, Jeanty PJ. Cleidocranial dysplasia. The Fetus 4(4):1-5, 1994.
- Steele JR, Jones AK, Ninan EP, Clarke RK, Odisio BC, Avritscher R, Murthy R, Mahvash A. Why Bundled Payments Could Drive Innovation: An Example From Interventional Oncology. J Oncol Pract. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25604596.
- Qdaisat A, Yeung SJ, Variyam DE, Badugu P, Ghaly F, Rice TW, Halm JK, Carter BW, Sun J, Gonzalez CE, Viets-Upchurch J, Steele JR, Wu CC. Evaluation of Cancer Patients With Suspected Pulmonary Embolism: Performance of the American College of Physicians Guideline. J Am Coll Radiol. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31376398.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Vining DJ, Lenobel S, Steele JR, Shih T. Cost-effective approaches to managing extracolonic findings found during virtual colonoscopy. Radiological Society of North American Scientific Assembly and Annual Program, 2009.
- Sultenfuss MA, Jones AK, Bassett R, Rhines L, Steele JR. Does Radiation Dose from Spinal Artery Embolization prior to Primary or Metastatic Spinal Tumor Resection Increase Wound Complication Rates?. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Mc Enery KW, Steele JR, Riley ME. Computerized Integration of Mandatory Professional QA Review into the Interpretation Process. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- McEnery KW, Gupta S, Steele JR, Wallace MJ. System to Coordinate Clinical Follow-up of Patients Presenting for Emergency Center Care after Interventional Radiology Procedures. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Burgen K, MA Y, Mc Gavin A, Stone D, Po JV, Steele JR. An Urgent Response Team in Diagnostic Imaging: Better, Faster, and More Consistent Care. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- McEnery KW, Stone D, Po JV, Ma Y,Steele JR. Radiologist Order Entry: Making Imaging Protocol Management Meaningful. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Steele JR, McEnery KW, Venable S, Arboleda VH. Improvement of outpatient CT report timeliness. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting:894, 2009.
|Title:||Improving Inpatient and Outpatient Throughput by Computer Simulation|
|Funding Source:||UT Systems Engineering Grants Program|
|Title:||Utilization of a multimedia tool to improve communication, patient education and quality: A pilot study increasing patient preparedness for procedural experience through education|
|Funding Source:||Mike Hogg Foundation|
|Title:||Interventional Radiology Patient Radiation Dose Passport|
|Funding Source:||Society of Interventional Radiology Foundation|
|Title:||Optimizing Radiation Use During Fluoroscopic Procedures|
|Funding Source:||Society of Interventional Radiology Foundation|