About Dr. Lopez-Mattei
Juan C. Lopez-Mattei, MD, FACC, FASE, FSCCT, FSCMR is the co-director and co-founder of Cardiac Radiology Services at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, a comprehensive cardiac imaging center of excellence consisting of a Cardiac CT/MRI service dedicated to cancer patients and survivors. He is an associate professor of Medicine and Radiology at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Lopez-Mattei is a nationally recognized expert, with over 70 peer-reviewed publications in the fields of cardio-oncology, echocardiography, cardiovascular computed tomography and cardiovascular magnetic resonance. He holds multiple leadership positions in cardiovascular imaging societies such as American Society of Echocardiography, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. In addition, Dr. Lopez-Mattei was elected to the American College of Cardiology Emerging Faculty Leadership Academy in 2019 and American Society of Echocardiography’s Leadership Academy in 2020. He is also a member of the Certification Board of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (CBCMR) Assessment Committee and a member of the editorial boards of Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and JACC: Cardio-Oncology. He trained as a general cardiologist in Puerto Rico and pursued further training in cardiovascular imaging at Houston Methodist Hospital and is currently qualified as level 3 in echocardiography, cardiac CT and Cardiac MRI.
Co-Director, Cardiac Radiology Services, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Calcium Score in radiation toxicity, CV imaging in Cancer patients.
|2005||Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR, PRI, MD, Medicine|
|2011-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiovascular Imaging (Level III Echocardiography, Cardiac Magnetic Resonance & Cardiac CT Fellowship), Houston Methodist Hospital- Weill Cornell, Houston, TX|
|2008-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiovascular Disease, San Juan V.A. Medical Center, San Juan, PR|
|2005-2008||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, PR|
|2019||Certification Board of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance|
|2013||Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology, Council for Certification in Cardiovascular Imaging|
|2012||Adult Comprehensive Echocardiography, American Board of Echocardiography|
|2012||Certification Board of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Council for Certification in Cardiovascular Imaging|
|2011||Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|2008||Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
|2020||American Society of Echocardiography Leadership Academy, American Society of Echocardiography|
|2020||American College of Cardiology, American College of Cardiology Cardiovascular Imaging Section Leadership Council|
|2019||Super Doctors® Rising Stars 2019, Super Doctors®|
|2019||Elected to 2019 Rick Nishimura, MD, MACC and Patrick T. O’Gara, MD, MACC Emerging Faculty Leadership Academy, American College of Cardiology|
|2018||Super Doctors® Rising Stars 2018, Super Doctors®|
|2018||Elected Fellow, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance|
|2017||Super Doctors® Rising Stars 2017, Super Doctors®|
|2017||Listed in Marquis Who'sWho in Medicine and Healthcare, Marquis Who'sWho®|
|2017||Elected Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography|
|2013||Cardiovascular Imaging Section's Travel Award, American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions|
|2013||Elected Fellow, American College of Cardiology|
|2013||Elected Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography|
|2013||Doximity Fellow, Doximity App|
|2011||Award for Excellence for Establishing the Fellows in Training Delegate Position, Puerto Rico American College of Cardiology|
|2010||Chief Fellow, Cardiology, San Juan V.A Medical Center|
|2008||Internal Medicine In-training Exam Highest Score Award, UPR School of Medicine Internal Medicine Training Program|
|2005||Clinical Distinction Award, Ponce School of Medicine|
- Wang X, Palaskas NL, Yusuf SW, Abe JI, Lopez-Mattei J, Banchs J, Gladish GW, Lee P, Liao Z, Deswal A, Lin SH. Incidence and Onset of Severe Cardiac Events After Radiotherapy for Esophageal Cancer. J Thorac Oncol 15(10):1682-1690, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32599073.
- Bravo-Jaimes K, Marcellon R, Varanitskaya L, Kim PY, Iliescu C, Gilchrist SC, Baldassarre LA, Manisty C, Ghosh AK, Guha A, Lopez-Mattei JC. Opportunities For Improved Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Oncology Patients. Curr Opin Cardiol 35(5):531-537, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32649353.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Deswal A, Palaskas N, Song J, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Durand JB, Doundoua D, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Acute myocardial infarction in a high-risk cancer population: Outcomes following conservative versus invasive management. Int J Cardiol 313:1-8, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32320781.
- Palaskas NL, Lopez-Mattei J. The Role of Echocardiography in the Cancer Patient. Curr Cardiol Rep 22(10):103, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32770406.
- Parwani P, Martin GP, Mohamed MO, Hajeer A, Nwaokoro M, Narang A, Choi AD, Lopez-Mattei J, Freeman AM, Mamas MA. Relationship of Altmetric Attention Score to Overall Citations and Downloads for Papers Published in JACC. J Am Coll Cardiol 76(6):757-759, 2020. PMID: 32762911.
- Brown SA, Daly RP, Duma N, Yang EH, Pemmaraju N, Parwani P, Choi AD, Lopez-Mattei J. Leveraging Social Media for Cardio-Oncology. Curr Treat Options Oncol 21(10):83, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32789716.
- Potts J, Mohamed MO, Lopez Mattei JC, Iliescu CA, Konopleva M, Rashid M, Bagur R, Mamas MA. Percutaneous coronary intervention and in-hospital outcomes in patients with leukemia: a nationwide analysis. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 96(1):53-63, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31410970.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Buja LM, McNamara DM, Kobashigawa JA, Durand JB, Iliescu CA. Immunomodulatory treatment of immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced myocarditis: Pathway toward precision-based therapy. Cardiovasc Pathol 47:107211, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32268262.
- Bharadwaj A, Potts J, Mohamed MO, Parwani P, Swamy P, Lopez-Mattei JC, Rashid M, Kwok CS, Fischman DL, Vassiliou VS, Freeman P, Michos ED, Mamas MA. Acute myocardial infarction treatments and outcomes in 6.5 million patients with a current or historical diagnosis of cancer in the USA. Eur Heart J 41(23):2183-2193, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31800032.
- Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J. Cancer therapy cardiotoxicity detection: understanding the limitations of cardiac imaging. Heart 106(11):791-792, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32179588.
- Calvillo-Argüelles O, Abdel-Qadir H, Ky B, Liu JE, Lopez-Mattei JC, Amir E, Thavendiranathan P. Modified Routine Cardiac Imaging Surveillance of Adult Cancer Patients and Survivors during the COVID-19 Pandemic. JACC CardioOncol 2(2):345-349, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32309816.
- Mohamed MO, Lopez-Mattei JC, Parwani P, Iliescu CA, Bharadwaj A, Kim PY, Palaskas NL, Rashid M, Potts J, Kwok CS, Gulati M, Al Zubaidi AMB, Mamas MA. Management Strategies and Clinical Outcomes of Acute Myocardial Infarction in Leukemia Patients: Insights from Nationwide United States Hospitalizations. Int J Clin Pract 74(5):e13476, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 31922635.
- Choi AD, Geske JB, Lopez-Mattei JC, Parwani P, Wang DD, Winchester DE, Sengupta PP, Zoghbi WA, Shaw LJ, Chandrashekhar YS, Blankstein R. Cardiovascular Imaging through the Prism of Modern Metrics. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 13(5):1256-1269, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32381247.
- Lopez-Mattei J, Verstovsek S, Fellman B, Iliescu C, Bhatti K, Hassan SA, Kim P, Gray BA, Palaskas NL, Grosu HB, Mamas MA, Faiz SA. Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in myelofibrosis. Ann Hematol 99(4):781-789, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32076825.
- Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Iliescu C. Halloween in the Cath Lab: spider web pericardial effusion. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 21(3):317, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31501856.
- Choi AD, Parwani P, Michos ED, Lee J, Singh V, Fentanes E, Lopez-Mattei J, Gulati M, Nasir K, Nieman K, Shaw LJ, Blankstein R. The global social media response to the 14th annual Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography scientific sessions. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 14(2):124-130, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31843522.
- Bala Pushparaji, Konstantinos Marmagkiolis, Cameron K Miller, Moez K Aziz, Dinu V Balanescu, Teodora Donisan, Nicolas Palaskas, Peter Kim, Juan Lopez-Mattei, Mehmet Cilingiroglu, Saamir A Hassan, Cezar A Iliescu. State-of-the-art Review: Interventional Onco-Cardiology. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine, 2020.
- Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Durand JB, Iliescu C, Deswal A. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Myocarditis: Pathophysiological Characteristics, Diagnosis, and Treatment. J Am Heart Assoc 9(2):e013757, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 31960755.
- Agha AM, Gill C, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Hassan S, Kim PY, Charitakis K, Cilingiroglu M, Oo TH, Kroll M, Durand JB, Hirsch-Ginsberg C, Marmagkiolis K, Iliescu C. Identifying Hemostatic Thresholds in Cancer Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiography Based on Platelet Count and Thromboelastography. Front Cardiovasc Med 7:9, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32118047.
- Zarifa A, Lopez-Mattei J, Palaskas N, Iliescu C, Durand JB, Kim PY. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors (ICIs)-Related Cardiotoxicity. Adv Exp Med Biol 1244:277-285, 2020. PMID: 32301022.
- Robin Jacob, Paolo Strati, Nicolas Palaskas, Juan C. Lopez-Mattei, Konstantinos Marmagkiolis, L. Maximilian Buja, Anita Deswal, Cezar Iliescu. Lenalidomide-Induced Myocarditis, Rare But Possibly Fatal Toxicity of a Commonly Used Immunotherapy. JACC:Case Reports. e-Pub 2020.
- Gill C, Lee M, Balanescu DV, Donisan T, Canache AJS, Palaskas N, Lopez-Mattei J, Kim PY, Song J, Yang EH, Cilingiroglu M, Kar B, Gregoric I, Marmagkiolis K, Iakobishvili Z, Iliescu C. Transcatheter and Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement Impact on Outcomes and Cancer Treatment Schedule. Int J Cardiol. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32858137.
- Simbaqueba-Clavijo C, Patarroyo-Aponte M, Kim P, Deswal A, Palaskas NL, Iliescu C, Jahangir E, Yang EH, Steiner RE, Lopez-Mattei J. Cardiovascular Complications of Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cell Therapy: The Cytokine Release Syndrome and Associated Arrhythmias. Journal of Immunotherapy and Precision Oncology. e-Pub 2020.
- Daly RP, Lopez-Mattei JC, Khalique OK. The Social Media Kardashian Index: a stagnant measure for an innovative platform. JACC: Case Reports. e-Pub 2020.
- Lopez-Mattei JC, Lu Y. Multimodality Imaging in Cardiac Masses: to standardize recommendations, the time is now!. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32563655.
- Parwani P, Co M, Ramesh T, Akhter N, Iliescu C, Palaskas N, Kim P, Gladish G, Stojanovska J, Abramov D, Lopez-Mattei J. Differentiation of Cardiac Masses by Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports. e-Pub 2020.
- Lopez-Mattei, J. Evaluation of a Cardiac Mass. In: MD Anderson Practices in Onco-Cardiology. Department of Cardiology, MD Anderson Cancer Center: Houston, TX, 29,30, 2016.
- Juan C. López-Mattei, Miguel Quiñones. Evaluación de prótesis cardíacas. In: ECOCARDIOGRAFÍA E IMAGEN CARDIOVASCULAR EN LA PRÁCTICA CLÍNICA. 1st. Distribuna Editorial: SIAC, 2014.
|Title:||Imaging and Serum Biomarkers to Predict and Identify Early Cardiac Injury from Radiation Exposure|
|Funding Source:||National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)|