Professor, Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Department Chair, Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Price’s research is aimed at better predicting outcomes for cancer patients requiring admission to the critical care unit and to better allocate resources for each patient.
|1985||Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1981||University of Tampa, Tampa, FL, USA, BS, Marine Science / Biology|
|1997||Critical Care Medicine|
|1989||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Deputy Department Chair, Department of Critical Care, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2004
Medical Director, Respiratory Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2001 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Institutional Throughput Committee, 2018 - Present
Member, After Discharge Care Coordination: Continuum of Care, 2018 - Present
Member, The Charles A. LeMaistre Outstanding Achievement Award in Cancer, 2017 - Present
Member, XFITT, 2017 - Present
Member, Psychosocial Council, 2017 - Present
Member, Physician Conflict Resolution, 2017 - Present
Member, Leadership Lab Cohort 2, 2017 - Present
Member, ICU Workflow Efficiency, 2017 - Present
Member, Community of Chairs Committee, 2016 - Present
Member, Making Cancer History Patient Care Award Committee, 2015 - 2016
Member, G7 Planning & Activation Committee, 2015 - Present
Member, Inpatient Operations Steering Committee, 2014 - Present
Co-Leader, Evidence Based Clinical Pathway, 2014 - Present
Member, Advanced Care Planning Committee, 2014 - Present
Physician Leader, ICU Global Space Strategic Planning Group, 2012 - Present
Member, Quality Improvement Assessment Board (QIAB) Committee, 2011 - 2017
Member, Emergency Medicine Chair Search, 2010 - 2011
Member, 24-Hour Coverage Task Force, 2010 - 2010
Member, EC Task Force, 2009 - 2010
Member, Patient Safety Committee, 2009 - 2015
Member, Research and Publications Committee, 2007 - Present
Chair, ICU Best Practice Committee, 2005 - Present
Member, ICU Operations Committee, 2005 - Present
Member, Acute & Critical Care Subcommittee, 2003 - Present
Member, Critical Care Research Group, 2000 - Present
Chair, ICU Operations Committee, 2000 - 2005
Consultant, MD Anderson - Banner Health, Arizona, 2011 - Present
|1986||Resident of the Year, The University of Texas Health Science Center Faculty and House Staff|
|1981||Who’s Who Among American College Students|
|1981||Outstanding Female Graduate, The University of Tampa Faculty|
- Wallace SK, Rathi NK, Waller DK, Ensor JE, Haque SA, Price KJ, Piller LB, Tilley BC, Nates JL. Two Decades of ICU Utilization and Hospital Outcomes in a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Crit Care Med 44(5):926-33, 2016. PMID: 26765498.
- Namiranian K, Rathi NK, Banchs J, Price KJ, Nates JL, Haque SA. Does Thrombolysis Have a Place in the Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation of Patients With Acute Pulmonary Embolism? A Case of Successful Thrombolysis During Pulmonary Embolism Induced Cardiopulmonary Arrest. Crit Care Med 44(5):e300-3, 2016. PMID: 26584192.
- Wallace SK, Waller DK, Tilley BC, Piller LB, Price KJ, Rathi N, Haque S, Nates JL. Place of Death among Hospitalized Patients with Cancer at the End of Life. J Palliat Med 18(8):667-76, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25927588.
- Rathi NK, Tanner AR, Dinh A, Dong W, Feng L, Ensor J, Wallace SK, Haque SA, Rondon G, Price KJ, Popat U, Nates JL. Low-, medium- and high-dose steroids with or without aminocaproic acid in adult hematopoietic SCT patients with diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. Bone Marrow Transplant 50(3):420-6, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25531284.
- Price KJ, Cardenas-Turanzas M, Lin H, Roden L, Nigam R, Nates JL. Prognostic indicators of mortality of mechanically ventilated patients with acute leukemia in a comprehensive cancer center. Minerva Anestesiol 79(2):147-55, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23032926.
- Lahoti A, Nates JL, Wakefield CD, Price KJ, Salahudeen AK. Costs and outcomes of acute kidney injury in critically ill patients with cancer. J Support Oncol 9(4):149-55, 2011. PMID: 21809520.
- Aravindan N, Cata JP, Hoffman L, Dougherty PM, Riedel BJ, Price KJ, Shaw AD. Effects of isoflurane, pentobarbital, and urethane on apoptosis and apoptotic signal transduction in rat kidney. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:1229-37, 2006. PMID: 16978161.
- Nates JL, Aravindan N, Hirsh-Ginsberg C, Sizer KC, Kee S, Nguyen AT, Chen K, Shaw AD,Price KJ. Critically ill cancer patients are not consistently hypercoagulable after craniotomy. Critical Care Medicine 33(12):A104, 2005.
- Groeger JS, Glassman J, Nierman DM, Wallace SK, Price K, Horak D, Landsberg D. Probability of mortality of critically ill cancer patients at 72 h of intensive care unit (ICU) management. Support Care Cancer 11(11):686-95, 2003. e-Pub 2003. PMID: 12905057.
- Hanna HA, Raad II, Hackett B, Wallace SK, Price KJ, Coyle DE, Parmley CL, M.D. Anderson Catheter Study Group. Antibiotic-impregnated catheters associated with significant decrease in nosocomial and multidrug-resistant bacteremias in critically ill patients. Chest 124(3):1030-8, 2003. PMID: 12970034.
- Ewer MS, Kish SK, Martin CG, Price KJ, Feeley TW. Characteristics of cardiac arrest in cancer patients as a predictor of survival after cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Cancer 92:1905-12, 2001. PMID: 11745264.
- Price KJ, Kish SK. End-of-life decisions in cancer care. Crit Care Clin 17:805-11, 2001. PMID: 11525059.
- Escalante CP, Martin CG, Elting LS, Price KJ, Manzullo EF, Weiser MA, Harle TS, Cantor SB, Rubenstein EB. Identifying risk factors for imminent death in cancer patients with acute dyspnea. J Pain Symptom Manage 20(5):318-25, 2000. PMID: 11068153.
- Groeger JS, White P, Jr, Nierman DM, Glassman J, Shi W, Horak D, Price K. Outcome for cancer patients requiring mechanical ventilation. J Clin Oncol 17:991-7, 1999. PMID: 10071294.
- Price KJ, Thall PF, Kish SK, Shannon VR, Andersson BS. Prognostic indicators for blood and marrow transplant patients admitted to an intensive care unit. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 158:876-84, 1998. PMID: 9731020.
- Kilbourn R, Fonseca G, Griffith O, Ewer MS, Price K, Strieger A, Jones E, Logothetis C. NG-methl-l-arginine, an inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase that reverses interleukin-2 induced hypotension. Critical Care Medicine 23:1018-24, 1995.
- Gutierrez G, Clark C, Brown S, Price K, Ortiz L, Nelson C. The effects of dobutamine on arterial lactate and gastric mucosal ph in septic patients. Respiratory Critical Care Medicine 150:324-329, 1994.
- Bayraktar UD, Shpall EJ, Liu P, Ciurea SO, Rondon G, de Lima M, Cardenas-Turanzas M, Price KJ, Champlin RE, Nates JL. Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation-Specific Comorbidity Index Predicts Inpatient Mortality and Survival in Patients Who Received Allogeneic Transplantation Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. J Clin Oncol. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24127454.