About Dr. Demas Woodhouse
Dr. Kristina Woodhouse is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. She earned her medical degree at the George Washington University School of Medicine after graduating from Harvard College. She completed her medical residency in radiation oncology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and received her training in Gamma Knife Perfexion at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Woodhouse is part of the radiation oncology team that specializes specifically in treating brain and spine tumors, as well as pediatric patients. Her research interests and expertise provide a unique perspective to investigate and improve radiation therapy outcomes concentrating on both adult and pediatric patients with central nervous system malignancies.
Dr. Woodhouse is an active clinical trialist and health services researcher. Her work focuses on improving the quality of care received by all cancer patients, both by advancing the ways in which cancer is treated with radiation and by advancing the understanding of patient decision-making, cost, and access to quality care. Collectively, her clinical and research interests include: pediatric and adult brain tumors, proton therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery, as well as health disparities, quality improvement, shared decision-making and improving patient safety.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2012||The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2008||Harvard College, Cambridge, MA, USA, BA, Human Evolutionary Biology and Spanish|
|2017-2017||Gamma Knife Perfexion Technical Training, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH|
|2015-2017||Leadership Track, Quality and Safety, University of Pennsylvania Healthcare, Philadelphia, PA|
|2012-2017||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA|
|2016||University of Pennsylvania Radiation Oncology Resident Research Award|
|2015||Methods in Clinical Research Workshop for Minorities Scholarship|
|2015||State of the Art Therapeutic Radiation Oncology Conference Travel Award, ASTRO|
|2015||Poster of Distinction Award, American Radium Society|
|2015||Annual Advocacy Day Travel Award, ASTRO|
|2013||Travel Award, National Institute of Health and National Medical Association|
|2011||Columbian Women’s Scholarship, George Washington University|
|2011||Medical Student Rotation Award, Association of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|
|2009||Catalyst Visiting Research Summer Internship Program, Harvard|
|2009||Graduate Student Achievement Award, American College of Rheumatology Research Education Foundation/Abbott Medical|
|2009||Diversity Mentorship Program Award, American Academy of Dermatology|
|2009||Gill Research Fellowship, George Washington University|
|2008||Gina Finzi Memorial Student Summer Fellowship, Lupus Foundation of America, Inc|
|2006||NIH Heart, Blood, Lung Summer Research Grant, Case Western Reserve University|
|2004||Westinghouse Semi-Finalist, Siemens|
- Woodhouse KD, Hashemi D, Betcher K, Doucette A, Weaver A, Monzon B, Rosenthal SA, Vapiwala N. Safety practices, perceptions, and behaviors in radiation oncology: a national survey of radiation therapists. Pract Radiat Oncol 8(1):48-57, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29150313.
- Woodhouse KD, Tremont K, Vachani A, Schapira MM, Vapiwala N, Simone CB, Berman AT. A review of shared decision-making and patient decision aids in radiation oncology. J Cancer Educ 32(2):238-245, 2017. PMID: 28138917.
- Woodhouse KD, Hwang WT, Vapiwala N, Jain A, Wang X, Both S, Shah M, Frazier M, Gabriel P, Christodouleas JP, Tochner Z, Deville C. Sociodemographic disparities in the utilization of proton therapy for prostate cancer at an urban academic center. Adv Radiat Oncol 2(2):132-139, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28740924.
- Berman AT, Rosenthal SA, Moghanaki D, Woodhouse KD, Movsas B, Vapiwala N. Focusing on the "person" in personalized medicine: the future of patient-centered care in radiation oncology. J Am Coll Radiol 13(12 Pt B):1571-1578, 2016. PMID: 27888944.
- Gabriel PE, Woodhouse KD, Lin A, Finlay JC, Young RB, Volz E, Hahn SM, Metz JM, Maity A. An automated electronic system for managing radiation treatment plan peer review reduces missed reviews at a large, high-volume academic center. Pract Radiat Oncol 6(6):e307-e314, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27155763.
- Woodhouse KD, Volz E, Bellerive M, Bergendahl HW, Gabriel PE, Maity A, Hahn SM, Vapiwala N. The implementation and assessment of a quality and safety culture education program in a large radiation oncology department.. Pract Radiat Oncol 6(4):e127-34, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26850651.
- Woodhouse KD, Volz E, Maity A, Gabriel PE, Solberg TD, Bergendahl HW, Hahn SM. Journey toward high reliability: a comprehensive safety program to improve quality of care and safety culture in a large, multisite radiation oncology department. J Oncol Pract 12(5):e603-12, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27026647.
- Dash C, Demas K, Uhm S, Hanscom HN, Kim JS, Suy S, Davis KM, Sween J, Collins S, Adams-Campbell LL. Low incidence of fatigue after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy for localized prostate cancer. Front Oncol 2:142, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23087903.
- Demas KL, Keenan BT, Solomon DH, Yazdany J, Costenbader KH. Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease care in systemic lupus erythematosus according to new quality indicators. Semin Arthritis Rheum 40(3):193-200, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20378155.
- Demas KL, Costenbader KH. Disparities in lupus care and outcomes. Curr Opin Rheumatol 21(2):102-9, 2009. PMID: 19339919.