About Dr. Ji
Upon completion of his doctorate and postdoctoral training at the Stanford University School of Medicine, in 1996, He joined the faculty at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, where he is an Associate Professor in the Department of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. His current research is focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms of novel tumor suppressor genes, especially, those recently identified in human chromosome 3p21.3 region in lung cancer and exploring their therapeutic applications for human cancers by recombinant adenoviral vector, non-viral vector, and nanoparticle-mediated gene transfer in vitro, in animal models, and in human clinical trials. His research interests also including using and developing high throughput functional genomics and proteomics approaches such as gene microarrays, tissue microarrays, reverse phase protein arrays, and ProteinChip arrays to identify biomarkers and signature proteins involved in oncogenic and tumor suppressing signaling pathways and sensitivity phenotypes associated with cancer molecular therapy, to study posttranslational modifications such as phosphorylation and glycosylation of proteins as well as protein-protein interactions in various lung cancer cell lines, preclinical and clinical specimens. His research activities also emphasize in understanding the mechanisms of drug resistance and exploring combination treatment strategies for overcoming the drug resistance and developing various human lung cancer xenograft and transgenic mouse models to understand the biology of lung cancer pathogenesis and to evaluate novel cancer therapeutic strategies and agents. He has actively participated in the internationally-recognized cancer gene therapy research programs and in several multidisciplinary national research projects, serving as project leaders and co-leaders in NIH/NCI Lung Special Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) program, Mouse Model of Human Cancer Consortium, and in Department of Defence Lung cancer research programs. He has successfully obtained numerous competitive research grants from public and private foundations and is PIs in NIH RO1, R21, and SBIR programs. His researches on functional characterization, molecular mechanism studies, and therapeutic applications of candidate tumor suppressor genes identified in human chromosome 3p21.3 region have been exemplary in translation of laboratory studies into clinical applications for lung cancer therapy. He has published extensively in the fields of molecular biology, cancer biology, and gene therapy, particularly in lung cancer in many premier peer-reviewed journals such Proceedings of National Academic Science, USA, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Journal of Biological Chemistry, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, and Oncogene.
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1993||The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA, PHD, Biochemistry|
|1990||The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA, MS, Biochemistry|
|1982||The University of Sichuan, Chengdu, CHN, BS, Biochemistry|
|1994-1996||Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA|
Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2012
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2005
Research Associate, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1996 - 2000
|2006||AACR Scholar-in-Training Award for Mentored Fellow, Dr. Guanglin Wu, AACR|
|2004||AACR Scholarship-in-Training Award for Mentored Fellow, Dr. Futoshi Uno, AACR|
|1993||NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, Stanford University School of Medicine|
|1992||Dean's Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Research, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|1990||Graduate Research Fellowship, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|1987||Scholarship for International Study and Research, People's Republic of China|
|1987||Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantship, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|1986||Visiting Scholar, Washington State University|
- Lin J, Zandi R, Shao R, Gu J, Ye Y, Wang J, Zhao Y, Pertsemlidis A, Wistuba II, Wu X, Roth JA, Ji L. A miR-SNP biomarker linked to an increased lung cancer survival by miRNA-mediated down-regulation of FZD4 expression and Wnt signaling. Sci Rep 7(1):9029, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28831115.
- Gentile E, Oba T, Lin J, Shao R, Meng F, Cao X, Lin HY, Mourad M, Pataer A, Baladandayuthapani V, Cai D, Roth JA, Ji L. Cationic liquid crystalline nanoparticles for the delivery of synthetic RNAi-based therapeutics. Oncotarget 8(29):48222-48239, 2017. PMID: 28637023.
- Lin J, Xu K, Roth JA,b|Ji L. Detection of siRNA-mediated target mRNA cleavage activities in human cells by a novel stem-loop array RT-PCR analysis. Biochem Biophys Rep 6:16-23, 2016. PMID: 26949742.
- Lin J, Xu K, Wei J, Heimberger AB, Roth JA, Ji L. MicroRNA-124 suppresses tumor cell proliferation and invasion by targeting CD164 signaling pathway in non-small cell lung cancer. J Gene Ther 2(1), 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27376157.
- Li H, Hu J, Wu S, Wang L, Cao X, Zhang X, Dai B, Cao M, Shao R, Zhang R, Majidi M, Ji L, Heymach JV, Wang M, Pan S, Minna J, Mehran RJ, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Fang B. Auranofin-mediated inhibition of PI3K/AKT/mTOR axis and anticancer activity in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Oncotarget 7(3):3548-58, 2016. PMID: 26657290.
- Xu K, Lin J, Zandi R, Roth JA, Ji L. MicroRNA-mediated target mRNA cleavage and 3'-uridylation in human cells. Sci Rep 6:30242, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27440378.
- Han L, Ravoori M, Wu G, Sakai R, Yan S, Singh S, Xu K, Roth JA, Ji L, Kundra V. Somatostatin receptor type 2-based reporter expression after plasmid-based in vivo gene delivery to non-small cell lung cancer. Mol Imaging 12(7):1-10, 2013. PMID: 23962694.
- Du L, Schageman JJ, Subauste MC, Saber B, Hammond SM, Prudkin L, Wistuba II, Ji L, Roth JA, Minna JD, Pertsemlidis A. miR-93, miR-98, and miR-197 regulate expression of tumor suppressor gene FUS1. Mol Cancer Res 7(8):1234-1243, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19671678.
- Moghaddam SJ, Li H, Cho SN, Dishop MK, Wistuba II, Ji L, Kurie JM, Dickey BF, Demayo FJ. Promotion of lung carcinogenesis by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-like airway inflammation in a K-ras-induced mouse model. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 40(4):443-453, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18927348.
- Deng WG, Kawashima H, Wu G, Jayachandran G, Xu K, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ji L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res 67(2):709-717, 2007. PMID: 17234782.
- Ueda K, Kawashima H, Ohtani S, Deng WG, Ravoori M, Bankson J, Gao B, Girard L, Minna JD, Roth JA, Kundra V, Ji L. The 3p21.3 tumor suppressor NPRL2 plays an important role in cisplatin-induced resistance in human non-small-cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res 66(19):9682-9690, 2006. PMID: 17018626.
- Dong F, Wang L, Davis JJ, Hu W, Zhang L, Guo W, Teraishi F, Ji L, Fang B. Eliminating established tumor in nu/nu nude mice by a tumor necrosis factor-alpha-related apoptosis-inducing ligand-armed oncolytic adenovirus. Clin Cancer Res 12(17):5224-5230, 2006. PMID: 16951242.
- Davis JJ, Wang L, Dong F, Zhang L, Guo W, Teraishi F, Xu K, Ji L, Fang B. Oncolysis and suppression of tumor growth by a GFP-expressing oncolytic adenovirus controlled by an hTERT and CMV hybrid promoter. Cancer Gene Ther 13(7):720-723, 2006. PMID: 16485010.
- Ito I, Ji L, Tanaka F, Saito Y, Gopalan B, Branch CD, Xu K, Atkinson EN, Bekele BN, Stephens LC, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ramesh R. Liposomal vector mediated delivery of the 3p FUS1 gene demonstrates potent antitumor activity against human lung cancer in vivo. Cancer Gene Ther 11(11):733-739, 2004. PMID: 15486560.
- Lee HY, Moon H, Chun KH, Chang YS, Hassan K, Ji L, Lotan R, Khuri FR, Hong WK. Effects of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 and farnesyltransferase inhibitor SCH66336 on Akt expression and apoptosis in non-small-cell lung cancer cells. J Natl Cancer Inst 96(20):1536-1538, 2004. PMID: 15494604.
- Nishizaki M, Sasaki J, Fang B, Atkinson EN, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ji L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FHIT and p53 coincides with FHIT-mediated MDM2 inactivation and p53 stabilization in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res 64(16):5745-52, 2004. PMID: 15313915.
- Uno F, Sasaki J, Nishizaki M, Carboni G, Xu K, Atkinson EN, Kondo M, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ji L. Myristoylation of the fus1 protein is required for tumor suppression in human lung cancer cells. Cancer Res 64(9):2969-2976, 2004. PMID: 15126327.
- Lin T, Zhang L, Davis J, Gu J, Nishizaki M, Ji L, Roth JA, Xiong M, Fang B. Combination of TRAIL gene therapy and chemotherapy enhances antitumor and antimetastasis effects in chemosensitive and chemoresistant breast cancers. Mol Ther 8(3):441-448, 2003. PMID: 12946317.
- Carboni GL, Gao B, Nishizaki M, Xu K, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ji L. CACNA2D2-mediated apoptosis in NSCLC cells is associated with alterations of the intracellular calcium signaling and disruption of mitochondria membrane integrity. Oncogene 22(4):615-626, 2003. PMID: 12555074.
- Gu J, Zhang L, Huang X, Lin T, Yin M, Xu K, Ji L, Roth JA, Fang B. A novel single tetracycline-regulative adenoviral vector for tumor-specific Bax gene expression and cell killing in vitro and in vivo. Oncogene 21(31):4757-4764, 2002. PMID: 12101414.
- Ji L, Nishizaki M, Gao B, Burbee D, Kondo M, Kamibayashi C, Xu K, Yen N, Atkinson EN, Fang B, Lerman MI, Roth JA, Minna JD. Expression of several genes in the human chromosome 3p21.3 homozygous deletion region by an adenovirus vector results in tumor suppressor activities in vitro and in vivo.. Cancer Res 62(9):2715-2720, 2002. PMID: 11980673.
- Kondo M, Ji L, Kamibayashi C, Tomizawa Y, Randle D, Sekido Y, Yokota J, Kashuba V, Zabarovsky E, Kuzmin I, Lerman M, Roth J, Minna JD. Overexpression of candidate tumor suppressor gene FUS1 isolated from the 3p21.3 homozygous deletion region leads to G1 arrest and growth inhibition of lung cancer cells. Oncogene 20(43):6258-6262, 2001. PMID: 11593436.
- Nishizaki M, Meyn RE, Levy LB, Atkinson EN, White RA, Roth JA, Ji L. Synergistic inhibition of human lung cancer cell growth by adenovirus-mediated wild-type p53 gene transfer in combination with docetaxel and radiation therapeutics in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res 7(9):2887-2887, 2001. PMID: 11555607.
- Ramesh R, Saeki T, Templeton NS, Ji L, Stephens LC, Ito I, Wilson DR, Wu Z, Branch CD, Minna JD, Roth JA. Successful treatment of primary and disseminated human lung cancers by systemic delivery of tumor suppressor genes using an improved liposome vector. Mol Ther 3(3):337-350, 2001. PMID: 11273776.
- Sueoka N, Lee HY, Wiehle S, Cristiano RJ, Fang B, Ji L, Roth JA, Hong WK, Cohen P, Kurie JM. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-6 activates programmed cell death in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Oncogene 19(38):4432-4436, 2000. PMID: 10980619.
- Kagawa S, Gu J, Swisher SG, Ji L, Roth JA, Lai D, Stephens LC, Fang B. Antitumor effect of adenovirus-mediated Bax gene transfer on p53-sensitive and p53-resistant cancer lines. Cancer Res 60(5):1157-1161, 2000. PMID: 10728665.
- Kagawa S, Pearson SA, Ji L, Xu K, McDonnell TJ, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Fang B. A binary adenoviral vector system for expressing high levels of the proapoptotic gene bax. Gene Ther 7(1):75-79, 2000. PMID: 10680019.
- Sueoka N, Lee HY, Walsh GL, Fang B, Ji L, Roth JA LaPushin R, Hong WK, Cohen P, Kurie JM. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-6 inhibits the growth of human bronchial epithelial cells and increases in abundance with all-trans-retinoic acid treatment. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 23:297-303, 2000. PMID: 10970819.
- Ji L, Bouvet M, Price RE, Roth JA, Fang B. Reduced toxicity, attenuated immunogenicity and efficient mediation of human p53 gene expression in vivo by an adenovirus vector with deleted E1-E3 and inactivated E4 by GAL4-TATA promoter replacement. Gene Ther 6(3):393-402, 1999. PMID: 10435089.
- Bouvet M, Fang B, Ekmekcioglu S, Ji L, Bucana CD, Hamada K, Grimm EA, Roth JA. Suppression of the immune response to an adenovirus vector and enhancement of intratumoral transgene expression by low-dose etoposide. Gene Ther 5(2):189-195, 1998. PMID: 9578838.
- Fang B, Ji L, Bouvet M, Roth JA. Evaluation of GAL4/TATA in vivo: Induction of transgene expression by adenovirally mediated gene codelivery. J Biol Chem 273(9):4972-4975, 1998. PMID: 9478943.
- Ji L, Roth JA. Tumor suppressor FUS1 signaling pathway. J Thorac Oncol 3(4):327-330, 2008. PMID: 18379348.
- Ji L, Minna JD, Roth JA. 3p21.3 tumor suppressor cluster: prospects for translational applications. Future Oncol 1(1):79-92, 2005. PMID: 16555978.
- Albelda SM, Andreef M, Aref I, Barton K, Brown S, Chiocca EA, Curiel DT, Dembinski J, Desai A, Ekmekcioglu S, Ellerhorst J, Elshaikh M, Freytag SO, Fueyo J, Fujiwara T, Gerson S, Grimm EA, Haas AR, Hall B, <b>Ji L</b>, Jiang H, Kaur B, Kidd S, Kim JH, Kim K, Klopp A, Lang F, Lin Y, Ling X, Lopez-Berestein G, Lu M, Mangala LS, Marini F, Moon EK, Mora EM, Movsas B, Nemunaitis J, Poindexter N, Pollock RE, Price RL, Ramesh R, Rao DD, Roth JA, Senzer N, Shay JW, Siddiqui F, Singhal S, Sood AK, Spaeth E, Sterman DH, Stricker H, Studeny M, Thacker EE, Torres KE, Vorhies JS, Zeng Z. Gene-Based Therapies for Cancer. In: Current Cancer Research. Springer: New York, New York, 2010.
- Ji L. Cisplatin. In: Encyclopedia of Cancer. 2nd. Springer Science-Business Media, 432-434, 2007.