About Dr. Garcia
Dr. M. Kay Garcia is an Associate Professor and licensed acupuncturist in the Department of Palliative, Rehabilitation, and Integrative Medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Since 2003, Dr. Garcia has been treating patients and conducting research evaluating the use of acupuncture for symptom management in cancer patients at MD Anderson and at Fudan University Cancer Hospital in Shanghai, China. She is currently Primary Investigator and/or Co-investigator on several acupuncture trials, including two large multicenter phase III trials evaluating acupuncture for both treatment and prevention of radiation-induced xerostomia. In addition, Dr. Garcia lectures at the American College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine in Houston as well as the AOMA Graduate School of Integrative Medicine in Austin, Texas.
Associate Professor, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Faculty, AOMA Graduate School of Integrative Medicine, Austin, TX
Adjunct Faculty, The American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine, Houston, TX
|2003||American College of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, MSOM, Traditional Chinese Medicine|
|1993||University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, DrPH, Occupational Health & Safety|
|1982||Texas Woman's University, Houston, TX, USA, MSN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Adult Health|
|1977||Dallas Baptist University, Dallas, TX, USA, BSN, Nursing|
|2003||National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Diplomate in Acupuncture|
|2003||National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Diplomate in Herbology|
- Garcia MK, Cohen L, Guo Y, Zhou Y, You B, Chiang J, Orlowski RZ, Weber D, Shah J, Alexanian R, Thomas S, Romaguera J, Zhang L, Badillo M, Chen Y, Wei Q, Lee R, Delasalle K, Green V, Wang M. Electroacupuncture for Thalidomide/Bortezomib-induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Multiple Myeloma: A Feasibility Study. J Hematol Oncol 7(1):41, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24886772.
- Garcia MK, McQuade J, Haddad R, Patel S, Lee R, Yang P, Palmer JL, Cohen L. Systematic review of acupuncture in cancer care: a synthesis of the evidence. J Clin Oncol 31(7):952-60, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23341529.
- Meng Z, Garcia MK, Hu C, Chiang J, Chambers M, Rosenthal DI, Peng H, Zhang Y, Zhao Q, Zhao G, Liu L, Spelman A, Palmer JL, Wei Q, Cohen L. Randomized controlled trial of acupuncture for prevention of radiation-induced xerostomia among patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer 118(13):3337-44, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22072272.
- Meng Z, Garcia MK, Hu C, Chiang J, Chambers M, Rosenthal DI, Peng H, Wu C, Zhao Q, Zhao G, Liu L, Spelman A, Palmer L, Wei Q, Cohen L.. Sham-controlled, randomised, feasibility trial of acupuncture for prevention of radiation- induced xerostomia among patients with nasopharnyngeal carcinoma. EJC 48(11):1692-1699, 2012. PMID: 22285177.
- Giordano J, Engebretson J, Garcia MK. Challenges to complementary and alternative medical research: focal issues influencing integration into a cancer care model. Integr Cancer Ther 4(3):210-8, 2005. PMID: 16113028.