About Dr. Jeter
Dr. Jeter is a Harvard-trained Radiation Oncologist at MD Anderson Cancer center who specializes in thoracic malignancies. While the majority of her time is spent in the thoracic clinic and enrolling patients on clinical trials, she spends a significant amount of time doing clinical research. This time includes increasing clinical efficiency and effectiveness, decreasing normal tissue toxicity while increasing dose to the tumor. Most recently, she has opened a trial using CPAP for lung stereotactic body radiation therapy patients in hopes of minimizing motion within the chest during radiation treatment. This would be relevant for possible dose escalation as well as sparing healthy lung tissue. Dr. Jeter has received her Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health, is Certified in Medical Quality, and has completed the Value-Based Health Care course at the Harvard School of Business, all of which have given her the tools to be an essential member of a team which conducted a time-driven activity-based costing analysis of the Department of Radiation Oncology. When she is not in clinic treating patients with non-small cell lung cancer, small cell lung cancer, esophageal cancer, thymoma, or mesothelioma, she is conducting chart reviews and quality assurance internationally for the MD Anderson Cancer Network.
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2001||Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA, MPH, Public Health|
|1997||University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2002||American Board of Radiology - Radiation Oncology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Fort Bend Hospital, Richmond, TX, 2004 - 2011
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, St. Luke’s Community Center, The Woodlands, TX, 2004 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Bellaire Radiation Oncology Treatment Center, Bellaire, TX, 2002 - 2011
|2016||Top Protocol Enroller - TRO - 2016-2017, Thoracic Radiation Oncology Section|
|2015||Top Doctor, Leading Physicians of the World|
|2005||America's Top Oncologists, SLD Industries|
|1999||Dean’s List, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
|1996||Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, University of Virginia School of Medicine|
|1996||Academic Medicine Fellow, National Medical Fellowships, Inc|
|1996||Cadbury & McClane Awards Nominee National Medical Fellowships, Inc. for outstanding academic achievement, leadership, and community service, University of Virginia School of Medicine|
|1996||UVA Student Representative – American College of Physician’s Scientific Meeting, University of Virginia School of Medicine|
|1996||Honorary Resource Person to Office of Academic Support & Strategic Programs, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
|1995||Honorary Resource Person to Office of Academic Support & Strategic Programs, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
|1994||Summer Research Internship Grant for research in Anesthesiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine|
|1993||Minority Medical Education Scholarship, University of Virginia School of Medicine|
|1992||Golden Key National Honor Society, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
|1992||Alpha Epsilon Delta, Premedical Honor Society, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
|1990||Outstanding Academic Achievement while Peer Advising, University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences|
- Elhammali A, Blanchard P, Yoder A, Liao Z, Zhang X, Ronald Zhu X, Allen PK, Jeter M, Welsh J, Nguyen QN. Clinical outcomes after intensity-modulated proton therapy with concurrent chemotherapy for inoperable non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol 136:136-142, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31015115.
- Nguyen QN, Chun SG, Chow E, Komaki R, Liao Z, Zacharia R, Szeto BK, Welsh JW, Hahn SM, Fuller CD, Moon BS, Bird JE, Satcher R, Lin PP, Jeter M, O'Reilly MS, Lewis VO. Single-fraction stereotactic vs conventional multifraction radiotherapy for pain relief in patients with predominantly nonspine bone metastases: A randomized phase 2 trial. JAMA Oncol 5(6):872-878, 2019. PMID: 31021390.
- Kim CS, Jeter MD. Radiation therapy, early stage non-small cell lung cancer. StatPearls Publishing, 2019. PMID: 29083699.
- Nantavithya C, Gomez DR, Wei X, Komaki R, Liao Z, Lin SH, Jeter M, Nguyen QN, Li H, Zhang X, Poenisch F, Zhu XR, Balter PA, Feng L, Choi NC, Mohan R, Chang JY. Phase 2 study of stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotatic body prooton therapy for high-risk, medically inoperable, early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1(101):558-563, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29680255.
- Yue J, Shi Q, Xu T, Jeter M, Chen TY, Komaki R, Gomez DR, Pan T, Cleeland CS, Liao Z, Wang XS. Patient -reported lung symptoms as an early signal of impending radiation pneumonitis in patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated with chemoradiation: an observational study. Qual Life Res 26(6):1563-1570, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29549533.
- Jeter MD, Gomez D, Nguyen QN, Komaki R, Zhang X, Zhu X, O'Reilly M, Fossella FV, Xu T, Wei X, Wang H, Yang W, Tsao A, Mohan R, Liao Z. Simultaneous integrated boost for radiation dose escalation to the gross tumor volume with intensity modulated (Photon) radiation therapy or intensity modulated proton therapy and concurrent chemotherapy for stage II to III non-small cell lung cancer: a phase 1 study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 100(3):730-737, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29248169.
- Xi M, Xu C, Liao Z, Chang JY, Gomez DR, Jeter M, Cox JD, Komaki R, Mehran R, Blum MA, Hofstetter WL, Maru DM, Bhutani MS, Lee JH, Weston B, Ajani JA, Lin SH. Comparative outcomes after definitive chemoradiotherapy using proton beam therapy versus intensity modulated radiation therapy for esophageal cancer: a retrospective, single-institutional analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(3):667-676, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29280461.
- Chang JY, Verma V, Li M, Zhang W, Komaki R, Lu C, Allen PK, Liao Z, Welsh J, Lin SH, Gomez D, Jeter M, O'Reilly M, Zhu RX, Zhang X, Li H, Mohan R, Heymach JV, Vaporciyan AA, Hahn S, Cox JD. Proton beam radiotherapy and concurrent chemotherapy for unresectable stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: final results of a phase 2 study. JAMA Oncol 3(8):e172032, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28727865.
- Sun B, Brooks ED, Komaki RU, Liao Z, Jeter MD, McAleer MF, Allen PK, Balter PA, Welsh JD, O'Reilly MS, Gomez D, Hahn SM, Roth JA, Mehran RJ, Heymach JV, Chang JY. 7-year follow-up after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer: Results of a phase 2 clinical trial. Cancer 123(16):3031-3039, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28346656.
- Brooks ED, Sun B, Zhao L, Komaki R, Liao Z, Jeter M, Welsh JW, O'Reilly MS, Gomez DR, Hahn SM, Heymach JV, Rice DC, Chang JY. Stereotactic ablative radiation therapy is highly safe and effective for elderly patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(4):900-907, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28258887.
- Yang J, Xu T, Gomez DR, Yuan X, Nguyen QN, Jeter M, Song Y, Hahn S, Liao Z. Polymorphisms in BMP2/BMP4, with estimates of mean lung dose, predict radiation pneumonitis among patients receiving definitive radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. Oncotarget 8(26):43080-43090, 2017. PMID: 28574846.
- Sun B, Brooks ED, Komaki R, Liao Z, Jeter M, McAleer M, Balter PA, Welsh JD, O'Reilly M, Gomez D, Hahn SM, Sepesi B, Rice DC, Heymach JV, Chang JY. Long-term outcomes of salvage stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for isolated lung recurrence of non-small cell lung cancer: A phase II clinical trial. J Thorac Oncol 12(6):983-992, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28259750.
- Nguyen QN, Lu Y, Tang C, Chance WW, Mehran R, Balter P, Welsh JW, Hahn SM, Jeter M, Komaki RU, Gomez DR, Chang JY, Liao Z. Stereotactic ablative body radiation for pulmonary metastases: Should we consider dose escalation for more unresponsive histologies?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):237, 2017. PMID: 28587012.
- Lan M, Xu T, Gomez DR, Jeter M, Nguyen QN, Deng W, Lin SH, Komaki RU, Liao Z. Association between LGALS3 gene polymorphisms and survival in non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with definitive radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):249-250, 2017. PMID: 28587040.
- Yang J, Xu T, Gomez DR, Jeter M, Levy LB, Song Y, Hahn S, Liao Z, Yuan X. The pulmonary fibrosis associated MUC5B promoter polymorphism Is prognostic of the overall survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) receiving definitive radiotherapy. Transl Oncol 10(2):197-202, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28189065.
- Chang JY, Zhang W, Komaki R, Choi NC, Chan S, Gomez D, O'Reilly M, Jeter M, Gillin M, Zhu X, Zhang X, Mohan R, Swisher S, Hahn S, Cox JD. Long-term outcome of phase I/II prospective study of dose-escalated proton therapy for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol 122(2):274-280, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28139305.
- Kono M, Allen P, Lin S, Komaki R. Incidence of and survival outcomes After metachronous second primary malignancy after the treatment of limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2016.
- Yue J, Jeter M, Xu T, Liao Z. Lung Dosimetry, Radiation Pneumonitis, and FDG Uptake in Patients with Stage II-III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Treated With Passively Scattered Proton Therapy or Intensity Modulated Photon Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2016.
- Zhang Z, Chen Y, Chen Y, Jeter M, Hofstetter WL, Ajani J, Swisher SG, Chang JY, Allen PK, Cox JD, Komaki R, Liao ZX. Outcomes with esophageal cancer radiation therapy. J Thorac Oncol 4(7):880-8, 2009. PMID: 19458557.
- McGovern SL, Liao Z, Bucci MK, McAleer MF, Jeter M, Chang JY, O'Reilly MS, Cox JD, Allen PK, Komaki R. Is sex associated with the outcome of patients treated with radiation for nonsmall cell lung cancer?. Cancer 115(14):3233-42, 2009. PMID: 19472405.
- Smith GL, Smith BD, Buchholz TA, Liao Z, Jeter M, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA, McAleer MF, Komaki R, Cox JD. Patterns of Care and Locoregional Treatment Outcomes in Older esophageal cancer Patients: the SEER-medicare Cohorl. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74(2):482-9, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19289262.
- Starkschall G, Britton K, McAleer MF, Jeter M, Kaus MR, Bzdusek K, Mohan R, Cox JD. Potential dosimetric benefits of four-dimensional radiation treatment planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73(5):1560-1565, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19231098.
- Chang JY, Balter PA, Dong L, Yang Q, Liao Z, Jeter M, Bucci MK, McAleer MF, Mehran RJ, Roth JA, Komaki R. Stereotactic body radiation therapy in centrally and superiorly located stage I or isolated recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72(4):967-971, 2008. PMID: 18954709.
- Gayed IW, Chang J, Kim EE, Nuñez R, Chasen B, Liu HH, Kobayashi K, Zhang Y, Liao Z, Gohar S, Jeter M, Henderson L, Erwin W, Komaki R. Lung perfusion imaging can risk stratify lung cancer patients for the development of pulmonary complications after chemoradiation. J Thorac Oncol 3(8):858-864, 2008. PMID: 18670303.
- Rice DC, Smythe WR, Liao Z, Guerrero T, Chang JY, McAleer MF, Jeter M, Correa A, Vaporciyan AA, Liu HH, Komaki R, Forster KM, Stevens CW. Dose-dependent pulmonary toxicity after postoperative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69(2):350-357, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17467922.
- Shioyama Y, Jang SY, Liu HH, Guerrero T, Wang X, Gayed IW, Erwin WD, Liao Z, Chang JY, Jeter M, Yaremko BP, Borghero YO, Cox JD, Komaki R, Mohan R. Preserving functional lung using perfusion imaging and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for advanced-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65(5):1349-1358, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17446001.
- Huang EH, Liao Z, Cox JD, Guerrero TM, Chang JY, Jeter M, Borghero Y, Wei X, Fossella F, Herbst RS, Blumenschein GR, Moran C, Allen PK, Komaki R. Comparison of outcomes for patients with unresectable, locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiation vs. concurrent chemoradiation alone. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68(3):779-785, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17418967.
- Kono M, Allen P, Lin S, Komaki R. Incidence of and Survival Outcomes After Metachronous Second Primary Malignancy After the Treatment of Limited-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2006.
- Wang S, Liao Z, Chen Y, Chang JY, Jeter M, Guerrero T, Ajani J, Phan A, Swischer S, Allen P, Cox JD, Komaki R. Esophageal cancer located at the neck and upper thorax treated with concurrent chemoradiation: a single-institution experience. J Thorac Oncol 1(3):252-259, 2006.
- Zhu XR, Prado K, Liu HH, Guerrero TM, Jeter M, Liao Z, Rice D, Forster K, Stevens CW. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for mesothelioma: impact of multileaf collimator leaf width and pencil beam size on planning quality and delivery efficiency. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 62(5):1525-1534, 2005. PMID: 16029815.
- Stevens CW, Wong PF, Rice D, Jeter M, Forster K, Zhu XR. Treatment planning system evaluation for mesothelioma IMRT. Lung Cancer 49(Suppl 1):S75-S81, 2005. PMID: 15950806.
- Liao Z, Komaki R, Milas L, Yuan C, Kies M, Chang JY, Jeter M, Guerrero T, Blumenschien G, Smith CM, Fossella F, Brown B, Cox JD. A phase I clinical trial of thoracic radiotherapy and concurrent celecoxib for patients with unfavorable performance status inoperable/unresectable non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 11(9):3342-3348, 2005. PMID: 15867233.
- Zhang Z, Liao Z, Jin J, Ajani J, Chang JY, Jeter M, Guerrero T, Stevens CW, Swisher S, Ho L, Yao J, Allen P, Cox JD, Komaki R. Dose-response relationship in locoregional control for patients with stage II-III esophageal cancer treated with concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:656-664, 2005. PMID: 15708243.
- Chandra A, Guerrero TM, Liu HH, Tucker SL, Liao Z, Wang X, Murshed H, Bonnen MD, Garg AK, Stevens CW, Chang JY, Jeter M, Mohan R, Cox JD, Komaki R. Feasibility of using intensity-modulated radiotherapy to improve lung sparing in treatment planning for distal esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol 77:247-253, 2005. PMID: 16298001.
- Murshed H, Liu HH, Liao Z, Barker JL, Wang X, Tucker SL, Chandra A, Guerrero T, Stevens C, Chang JY, Jeter M, Cox JD, Komaki R, Mohan R. Dose and volume reduction for normal lung using intensity-modulated radiotherapy for advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1258-1267, 2004. PMID: 15001271.
- Taylor NA, Liao ZX, Cox JD, Stevens C, Roth J, Walsh G, Chang JY, Guerrero T, J Jeter M, Putnam J, Fossella FV, Allen P, Komaki R. Equivalent outcome of patients with clinical Stage IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer treated with concurrent chemoradiation compared with induction chemotherapy followed by surgical resection. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58(1):204-212, 2004. PMID: 14697440.
- Jin J, Liao Z, Zhang Z, Ajani J, Swisher S, Chang JY, Jeter M, Guerrero T, Stevens CW, Vaporciyan A, Putnam J, Jr, Walsh G, Smythe R, Roth J, Yao J, Allen P, Cox JD, Komaki R. Induction chemotherapy improved outcomes of patients with resectable esophageal cancer who received chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:427-436, 2004. PMID: 15380576.
- Chandra A, Liu H, Tucker SL, Liao Z, Stevens C, Chang J, Jeter M, O'Reilly M, Mohan R, Cox JD, Komaki R, Guerrero T. IMRT reduces lung irradiation in distal esophageal cancer over 3D CRT. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57(2 Suppl):S384-5, 2003.
- Forster K, Stevens C, Kitamura K, Starkschall G, Liu H, Liao Z, Chang J, Cox J, Jeter M, Guerrero T, Komaki R. 3D assessment of respiratory induced NSCLC tumor motion. Med Phys 30:1364-1364, 2003.
- Forster KM, Stevens CW, Kitamura K, Chang JY, Cox JD, Guerrero TM, Jeter M, Liao Z, Starkschall G, Komaki R. Changes of tumor motion patterns during a course of radiation therapy for lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57(2 Suppl):S234, 2003.
- Jeter M, Janne PA, Brooks S, Burstein HJ, Wen P, Fuchs CS, Loeffler JS, Devlin PM, Salgia R. Gemcitabine-induced radiation recall. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 53:394-400, 2002. PMID: 12023144.
- Kono M, Allen PK, Lin SH, Wei X, Jeter M, Welsh JW, Cox JD, Komaki R. Incidence of second malignancy after successful treatment of limited-stage small-cell lung cancer and its effects on survival. J Thorac Oncol 12(11):1696-1703. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28804012.
- Hosemann S, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Stage IIIA. Oncolog 56(10):4-8, 2011.
- Jeter MD, Cox, JD. Commentary: Prophylactic cranial irradiation for locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Oncol 17:779, 2003.
- Jeter M, Liao Z, Riley BA, Frame RL, Liu HH, Arjomandy B, Bucci MK, Crawford C, Komaki R, Cox JD. Significantly reduced lung and heart dose with proton radiotherapy compared with IMRT for esophageal cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66(3):S275, 2006.
- Jeter M, Zhu G, Jin J, Liao Z, Zhang Z, Ajani J, Swisher S, Chang JY, Guerrero T, Stevens CV, Vaporciyan A, Komaki R. Induction Chemotherapy Improves Long-Term Survival of Patients With Resectable Esophageal Cancer Receiving Chemoradiotherapy Followed by Surgery. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:S275, 2005.
- Forster, Kenneth M; Stevens, Craig W; Kitamua, Kei; Chang, Joe; Cox, James D; Guerrero, Thomas M; Jeter, M; Liao, Zhongxing; Starkschall, George; Komaki, Ritsuko. Changes of Tumor Motion Patterns During a Course of Radiation Therapy for Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2002.
- Durieux ME, Chan CK, Jeter M. Differential Effects of Isoflurane & Halothane on m1 Muscarinic Receptors in Xenopus Oocytes. Journal of Anesthesia & Analgesia 80:S109, 1995.
- Jeter M, Lin S. Thymoma. In: Radiation Oncology: A Question-Based Review. Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins: Philadelphia, 2011.
- Gomez D, Jeter M, Komaki R, Cox J. Radiation Time, Dose, and Fractionation in the Treatment of Lung Cancer. In: Radiation Oncology in Lung Cancer. Medical Radiology, 129, 2011.
- Jeter MD. Principles of Radiation Therapy. In: Esophageal Tumors: Principles and Practice. Demos Medical Publishing, 269-276, 2009.
- Jeter MD, Komaki R, Cox JD. Radiation Time, Dose and Fractionation in the Treatment of Lung Cancer. In: Advances in Radiation Oncology in Lung Cancer, 2004.