About Dr. Frumovitz
After graduating from the MD Anderson Gynecologic Oncology fellowship, Dr. Frumovitz was awarded the prestigious Fulbright Scholarship to pursue advanced laparoscopic training for the treatment of gynecologic malignancies in Lille, France. He currently performs minimally invasive surgery for appropriate patients with cervical, endometrial, and early-stage ovarian cancers. Dr. Frumovitz believes in working closely with the patient, the referring doctor and other subspecialty physicians in order to provide quality care through a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach. In addition to providing excellent patient care, Dr. Frumovitz continues to pursue his research interests which include cervical cancer, mucinous ovarian cancer, and minimally invasive surgery for gynecologic cancers. In addition, Dr. Frumovitz has pursued development of lymphatic mapping techniques for gynecologic malignancies and currently is the Principal Investigator or Co-principal Investigator on mapping studies of the vulva, vagina, and cervix. He has authored and co-authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals on these and other subjects. In addition, he has been invited to write book chapters and review articles on a variety of topics in gynecologic oncology. Dr. Frumovitz remains an active speaker, both nationally and internationally. Dr. Frumovitz is a member of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists where he sits on the Government Relations Committee and is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. In addition, he serves as Reviewer for Gynecologic Oncology, the International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer, Obstetrics & Gynecology (popularly known as The Green Journal), and Annals of Surgical Oncology. For appointments, please call (713) 792-8340.
In the News
Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Fellowship Program Director, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2004||The University of Texas at Houston School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MPH, Public Health|
|1997||University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1991||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, BA, History of Art|
|2003-2005||Clinical Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2003||Research Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998-2001||Clinical Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY|
|1997-1998||Clinical Internship, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY|
|2008||American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology Division of Gynecologic Oncology|
|2007||American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology|
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2016
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2013
Assistant Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2010
Chair, Gynecologic Oncology Multidisciplinary Conference, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2012
Fellowship Program Assistant Director, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
Resident Rotation Program Coordinator, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - Present
|2009||AAOGF Travel Award, The American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation|
|2009||Fellow, American College of Surgeons|
|2008||AAOGF Travel Award, The American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation|
|2007||Fellow, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists|
|2005||FRS Award for Outstanding Abstract Presentation, Felix Rutledge Society|
|2004||GlaxoSmithKline Fellows' Forum Award for Outstanding Podium Presentation|
|2001||Howard C. Taylor Resident Teaching Award|
|2000||Solan Chao, M.D. Medical Teaching Award|
|2000||Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award|
|1999||Arnold P. Gold Teaching Award|
|1997||Commencement Speaker, UCLA School of Medicine|
|1996||Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society|
- Smith JA, Costales AB, Jaffari M, Urbauer DL, Frumovitz M, Kutac CK, Tran H, Coleman RL. Is it equivalent? Evaluation of the clinical activity of single agent Lipodox® compared to single agent Doxil® in ovarian cancer treatment. J Oncol Pharm Pract 22 (4) :599-604, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26183293.
- Bhosale PR, Iyer RB, Ramalingam P, Schmeler KM, Wei W, Bassett RL, Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M. Is MRI helpful in assessing the distance of the tumour from the internal os in patients with cervical cancer below FIGO Stage IB2?. Clin Radiol 71 (6) :515-22, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27012496.
- Westin SN, Sun CC, Tung CS, Lacour RA, Meyer LA, Urbauer DL, Frumovitz MM, Lu KH, Bodurka DC. Survivors of gynecologic malignancies: impact of treatment on health and well-being. J Cancer Surviv 10 (2) :261-70, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26245979.
- Parker W, Berek JS, Pritts E, Olive D, Kaunitz AM, Chalas E, Clarke-Pearson D, Goff B, Bristow R, Taylor HS, Farias-Eisner R, Fader AN, Maxwell GL, Goodwin SC, Love S, Gibbons WE, Foshag LJ, Leppert PC, Norsigian J, Nager CW, Johnson T, Guzick DS, As-Sanie S, Paulson RJ, Farquhar C, Bradley L, Scheib SA, Bilchik AJ, Rice LW, Dionne C, Jacoby A, Ascher-Walsh C, Kilpatrick SJ, Adamson GD, Siedhoff M, Israel R, Paraiso MF, Frumovitz MM, Lurain JR, Al-Hendy A, Benrubi GI, Raman SS, Kho RM, Anderson TL, Reynolds RK, DeLancey J. An Open Letter to the Food and Drug Administration Regarding the Use of Morcellation Procedures in Women Having Surgery for Presumed Uterine Myomas. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 23 (3) :303-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26773577.
- Bhosale P, Ma J, Iyer R, Ramalingam P, Wei W, Soliman P, Frumovitz M, Kundra V. Feasibility of a reduced field-of-view diffusion-weighted (rFOV) sequence in assessment of myometrial invasion in patients with clinical FIGO stage I endometrial cancer. J Magn Reson Imaging 43 (2) :316-24, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26185031.
- Darin MC, Gómez-Hidalgo NR, Westin SN, Soliman PT, Escobar PF, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT. Role of indocyanine green (ICG) in sentinel node mapping in gynecologic cancer: Is fluorescence imaging the new standard?. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 23 (2) :186-93, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26518716.
- Frumovitz M. Small- and Large-Cell Neuroendocrine Cervical Cancer. Oncology (Williston Park) 30 (1) :70, 77-8, 93, 2016. PMID: 26791848.
- Fleming ND, Soliman PT, Westin SN, dos Reis R, Munsell M, Klopp AH, Frumovitz M, Nick AM, Schmeler K, Ramirez PT. Impact of Lymph Node Ratio and Adjuvant Therapy in Node-Positive Endometrioid Endometrial Cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25 (8) :1437-44, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26332387.
- dos Reis R, Burzawa JK, Tsunoda AT, Hosaka M, Frumovitz M, Westin SN, Munsell MF, Ramirez PT. Lymphovascular Space Invasion Portends Poor Prognosis in Low-Risk Endometrial Cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25 (7) :1292-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26067863.
- Vieira MA, Rendón GJ, Munsell M, Echeverri L, Frumovitz M, Schmeler KM, Pareja R, Escobar PF, Reis RD, Ramirez PT. Radical trachelectomy in early-stage cervical cancer: A comparison of laparotomy and minimally invasive surgery. Gynecol Oncol 138 (3) :585-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26095894.
- Brown AJ, Sun CC, Urbauer D, Zhukovsky DS, Levenback C, Frumovitz M, Thaker PH, Bodurka DC, Ramondetta LM. Targeting those with decreased meaning and peace: a supportive care opportunity. Support Care Cancer 23 (7) :2025-32, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25519758.
- Conrad LB, Ramirez PT, Burke W, Naumann RW, Ring KL, Munsell MF, Frumovitz M. Role of Minimally Invasive Surgery in Gynecologic Oncology: An Updated Survey of Members of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25 (6) :1121-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25860841.
- Burzawa J, Gonzales N, Frumovitz M. Challenges in the diagnosis and management of cervical neuroendocrine carcinoma. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 15 (7) :805-10, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25980782.
- Ring KL, Ramirez PT, Conrad LB, Burke W, Wendel Naumann R, Munsell MF, Frumovitz M. Make New Friends But Keep the Old: Minimally Invasive Surgery Training in Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Programs. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25 (6) :1115-20, 2015. PMID: 26067857.
- Sagebiel TL, Viswanathan C, Patnana M, Devine CE, Frumovitz M, Bhosale PR. Overview of the Role of Imaging in Pelvic Exenteration. Radiographics 35 (4) :1286-94, 2015. PMID: 26172363.
- Churchill SJ, Armbruster S, Schmeler KM, Frumovitz M, Greer M, Garcia J, Redworth G, Ramirez PT. Radical Trachelectomy for Early-Stage Cervical Cancer: A Survey of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology and Gynecologic Oncology Fellows-in-Training. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25 (4) :681-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25675042.
- Brown J, Taylor K, Ramirez PT, Sun C, Holman LL, Cone SM, Irwin J, Frumovitz M. Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy with Morcellation: Should it stay or should it go?. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 22 (2) :185-92, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25242233.
- Thaker NG, Klopp AH, Jhingran A, Frumovitz M, Iyer RB, Eifel PJ. Survival outcomes for patients with stage IVB vulvar cancer with grossly positive pelvic lymph nodes: Time to reconsider the FIGO staging system?. Gynecol Oncol 136 (2) :269-73, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25524458.
- Fleming ND, Frumovitz M, Schmeler KM, dos Reis R, Munsell MF, Eifel PJ, Soliman PT, Nick AM, Westin SN, Ramirez PT. Significance of lymph node ratio in defining risk category in node-positive early stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 136 (1) :48-53, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25451695.
- Bailey CD, Frumovitz MM. Preventing Complications in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery. Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep, 2015.
- Frumovitz M, Jhingran A, Soliman PT, Klopp AH, Schmeler KM, Eifel PJ. Morbid obesity as an independent risk factor for disease-specific mortality in women with cervical cancer. Obstet Gynecol 124 (6) :1098-104, 2014. PMID: 25415160.
- Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Greer M, Schmeler KM, Moroney J, Bodurka DC, Ramirez PT. Laparoscopy training in gynecologic oncology fellowship programs. Gynecol Oncol 111 (2) :197-201, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18804849.
- Frumovitz M, Sun CC, Jhingran A, Schmeler KM, Dos Reis R, Milam MR, Soliman PT, Taylor K, Ramirez PT. Radical hysterectomy in obese and morbidly obese women with cervical cancer. Obstet Gynecol 112 (4) :899-905, 2008. PMID: 18827134.
- Ramirez PT, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, dos Reis R, Frumovitz M. Laparoscopic and robotic techniques for radical hysterectomy in patients with early-stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 110 (3 Suppl 2) :S21-4, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18486966.
- Euscher ED, Malpica A, Atkinson EN, Levenback CF, Frumovitz M, Deavers MT. Ultrastaging Improves Detection of Metastases in Sentinel Lymph Nodes of Uterine Cervix Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 32 (9) :1336-43, 2008. PMID: 18670356.
- Obermair A, Gebski V, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Levenback C, Ramirez PT. A phase III randomized clinical trial comparing laparoscopic or robotic radical hysterectomy with abdominal radical hysterectomy in patients with early stage cervical cancer. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15 (5) :584-8, 2008. PMID: 18722970.
- Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Dos Reis R, Milam MR, Bevers MW, Levenback CF, Coleman RL. Modified uterine manipulator and vaginal rings for total laparoscopic radical hysterectomy. Int J Gynecol Cancer 18 (3) :571-5, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17692091.
- Frumovitz M, Levenback CF. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy in vulvar, vaginal, and cervical cancers. Oncology (Williston Park) 22 (5) :529-36; discussion 538-9, 542-3, 2008. PMID: 18533402.
- Frumovitz M, Gayed IW, Jhingran A, Euscher ED, Coleman RL, Ramirez PT, Levenback CF. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node detection in women with vaginal cancer. Gynecol Oncol 108 (3) :478-81, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18190952.
- Frumovitz M, dos Reis R, Sun CC, Milam MR, Bevers MW, Brown J, Slomovitz BM, Ramirez PT. Comparison of total laparoscopic and abdominal radical hysterectomy for patients with early-stage cervical cancer. Obstet Gynecol 110 (1) :96-102, 2007. PMID: 17601902.
- Milam MR, Frumovitz M, dos Reis R, Broaddus RR, Bassett RL, Ramirez PT. Preoperative lymph-vascular space invasion is associated with nodal metastases in women with early-stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 106 (1) :12-5, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17498783.
- Frumovitz M, Bodurka DC, Broaddus RR, Coleman RL, Sood AK, Gershenson DM, Burke TW, Levenback CF. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy in women with high-risk endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol 104 (1) :100-3, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16963111.
- Slomovitz BM, Sun CC, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Pearson HC, Berenson A, Ramirez PT, Lu KH, Bodurka DC. Are women ready for the HPV vaccine?. Gynecol Oncol 103 (1) :151-4, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16551476.
- Slomovitz BM, Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Bevers M, Coleman RL, Levenback C. Electrothermal bipolar coagulation for pelvic exenterations. Gynecol Oncol 102 (3) :534-6, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16483643.
- Zighelboim I, Ramirez PT, Gao F, Slomovitz BM, Sun C, Frumovitz M, Jhingran A, Levenback C. Retroperitoneal lymph node resection in patients with cervical cancer. Surg Oncol 15 (2) :79-83, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 17035002.
- Elting LS, Cooksley C, Bekele BN, Frumovitz M, Avritscher EB, Sun C, Bodurka DC. Generalizability of cancer clinical trial results: prognostic differences between participants and nonparticipants. Cancer 106 (11) :2452-8, 2006. PMID: 16639738.
- Frumovitz M, Coleman RL, Gayed IW, Ramirez PT, Wolf JK, Gershenson DM, Levenback CF. Usefulness of preoperative lymphoscintigraphy in patients who undergo radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for cervical cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 194 (4) :1186-93; discussion 1193-5, 2006. PMID: 16580331.
- Frumovitz M, Gershenson DM. Fertility-sparing therapy for young women with endometrial cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 6 (1) :27-32, 2006. PMID: 16375641.
- Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Levenback C. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node detection in gynecologic malignancies of the lower genital tract. Curr Oncol Rep 7 (6) :435-43, 2005. PMID: 16221380.
- Sun CC, Frumovitz M, Bodurka DC. Quality of life and gynecologic malignancies. Curr Oncol Rep 7 (6) :459-65, 2005. PMID: 16221383.
- Frumovitz M, Sun CC, Schover LR, Munsell MF, Jhingran A, Wharton JT, Eifel P, Bevers TB, Levenback CF, Gershenson DM, Bodurka DC. Quality of life and sexual functioning in cervical cancer survivors. J Clin Oncol 23 (30) :7428-36, 2005. PMID: 16234510.
- Marquez RT, Baggerly KA, Patterson AP, Liu J, Broaddus R, Frumovitz M, Atkinson EN, Smith DI, Hartmann L, Fishman D, Berchuck A, Whitaker R, Gershenson DM, Mills GB, Bast RC, Lu KH. Patterns of gene expression in different histotypes of epithelial ovarian cancer correlate with those in normal fallopian tube, endometrium, and colon. Clin Cancer Res 11 (17) :6116-26, 2005. PMID: 16144910.
- Hoekstra AV, Riben MW, Frumovitz M, Liu J, Ramirez PT. Well-differentiated papillary mesothelioma of the peritoneum: a pathological analysis and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol 98 (1) :161-7, 2005. PMID: 15894368.
- Martínez-Román S, Frumovitz M, Deavers MT, Ramirez PT. Metastatic carcinoma of the gallbladder mimicking an advanced cervical carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 97 (3) :942-5, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15943996.
- Frumovitz M, Singh DK, Meyer L, Smith DH, Wertheim I, Resnik E, Bodurka DC. Predictors of final histology in patients with endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol 95 (3) :463-8, 2004. PMID: 15581947.
- Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Wolf JK, Levenback C. Laparoscopic port-site metastases in patients with gynecological malignancies. Int J Gynecol Cancer 14 (6) :1070-7, 2004. PMID: 15571612.
- Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Bodurka DC, Sun CC, Levenback C. Hormonal therapy for the management of grade 1 endometrial adenocarcinoma: a literature review. Gynecol Oncol 95 (1) :133-8, 2004. PMID: 15385122.
- Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Greer M, Gregurich MA, Wolf J, Bodurka DC, Levenback C. Laparoscopic training and practice in gynecologic oncology among Society of Gynecologic Oncologists members and fellows-in-training. Gynecol Oncol 94 (3) :746-53, 2004. PMID: 15350368.
- Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Tortolero-Luna G, Malpica A, Eifel P, Burke TW, Levenback C. Characteristics of recurrence in patients who underwent lymphatic mapping for vulvar cancer. Gynecol Oncol 92 (1) :205-10, 2004. PMID: 14751159.