Meet Michael Wong, M.D., Ph.D.
About Dr. Wong
Michael K. Wong, M.D., Ph.D., joined The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2016 as a Professor in the Department of Melanoma Medical Oncology. Prior to joining MD Anderson, he was a Professor of Medicine, Head of Solid Tumors and the Adams Chair in Cancer Research at the University of Southern California's Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center. He was previously head of the Immunotherapy Unit and the Medical Director for Drug Development at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Dr. Wong has decades of experience in translational research, drug development and biotech start-ups. He is an expert in the management of cutaneous malignancies including melanoma, basal cell, Merkel cell and squamous cell carcinomas. He has led clinical trials in immunotherapy, targeted therapies, vaccines and combination therapies. His goal is to lead a compassionate and meaningful way, in order to cure cancer.
Professor, Department of Melanoma Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Research Interests: Immunotherapy, Precision Medicine, Targeted Therapy, Drug Development, Drug Delivery, Comparative Effectiveness, and Medical Economics.
Dr. Wong has a track record of translating basic science knowledge into clinical practice and biotech companies. He holds several patents on tumor homing and nanoparticle drug delivery. The unifying concept tying together these research interests is to develop the methodology that will allow these powerful technologies to be used an efficacious and economic way in cancer patients.
Clinical Focus: Skins Cancers, Melanoma, Merkel Cell Carcinomas, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Mucosal Melanomas.
Clinical Research Areas: Clinical Trials, Checkpoint Inhibitors, Anti-Tumor Vaccines, Adoptive Immunotherapy, Cytokines, Interleukin, Tumor Pathway Inhibitors, Comparative Effectiveness Research.
|1989||University of Toronto, Toronto, CAN, MD, Medicine|
|1987||University of Toronto, Toronto, CAN, PHD, Experimental Pathology|
|1981||University of Toronto, Toronto, CAN, BS, Biochemistry|
|1997-1998||Postdoctoral Fellow, American Red Cross, Rockville, MD|
|1995-1997||Research Fellowship, National Cancer Institute of Canada, Toronto|
|1995-1998||Research Fellowship, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, American Red Cross - Holland Lab, Rockville, MD|
|1993-1995||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology, University of Toronto, Toronto|
|1991-1993||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto|
|1990-1991||Clinical Residency, Human Pathology, Sunny Brook Medical Center - The Toronto Hospital, Toronto|
|1989-1990||Clinical Internship, Medicine, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto|
|1995||American Board of Medical Oncology|
|1993||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Professor, Keck School of Medicine - University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2010 - 2015
Head, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2010 - 2015
Medical Director, Department of Clinical Drug Development, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, 2003 - 2010
Chief, Department of Immunotherapy Interleukin Service, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NJ, 2003 - 2010
Medical Advisor, Department of Technology Transfer, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, 2003 - 2010
Co-Founder, Vali Nanomedical Inc, Monrovia, CA, 2016 - Present
Berle and Lucy Adams Endowed Chair in Cancer Research, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2010 - 2015
- Amaria RN, Prieto PA, Tetzlaff MT, Reuben A, Andrews MC, Ross MI, Glitza IC, Cormier J, Hwu WJ, Tawbi HA, Patel SP, Lee JE, Gershenwald JE, Spencer CN, Gopalakrishnan V, Bassett R, Simpson L, Mouton R, Hudgens CW, Zhao L, Zhu H, Cooper ZA, Wani K, Lazar A, Hwu P, Diab A, Wong MK, McQuade JL, Royal R, Lucci A, Burton EM, Reddy S, Sharma P, Allison J, Futreal PA, Woodman SE, Davies MA, Wargo JA. Neoadjuvant plus adjuvant dabrafenib and trametinib versus standard of care in patients with high-risk, surgically resectable melanoma: a single-centre, open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol 19(2):181-193, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29361468.
- Clark JI, Wong MK, Kaufman HL, Daniels GA, Morse MA, McDermott DF, Agarwala SS, Lewis LD, Stewart JH, Vaishampayan U, Curti B, Gonzalez R, Lutzky J, Rudraptna V, Cranmer LD, Jeter JM, Hauke RJ, Miletello G, Milhem MM, Amin A, Richart JM, Fishman M, Hallmeyer S, Patel SP, Van Veldhuizen P, Agarwal N, Taback B, Treisman JS, Ernstoff MS, Perritt JC, Hua H, Rao TB, Dutcher JP, Aung S. Impact of Sequencing Targeted Therapies With High-dose Interleukin-2 Immunotherapy: An Analysis of Outcome and Survival of Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma From an On-going Observational IL-2 Clinical Trial: PROCLAIM(SM). Clin Genitourin Cancer 15(1):31-41.e4, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27916626.
- Altieri L, Wong MK, Peng DH, Cockburn M. Mucosal melanomas in the racially diverse population of California. J Am Acad Dermatol 76(2):250-257, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27742175.
- Woodham AW, Yan L, Skeate JG, van der Veen D, Brand HH, Wong MK, Da Silva DM, Kast WM. T cell ignorance is bliss: T cells are not tolerized by Langerhans cells presenting human papillomavirus antigens in the absence of costimulation. Papillomavirus Res 2:21-30, 2016. PMID: 27182559.
- Bian SX, Routman D, Liu J, Yang D, Groshen S, Zada G, Trakul N, Wong MK, Yu C, Chang EL. Prognostic factors for melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery. J Neurosurg 125(Suppl 1):31-39, 2016. PMID: 27903181.
- Alva A, Daniels GA, Wong MK, Kaufman HL, Morse MA, McDermott DF, Clark JI, Agarwala SS, Miletello G, Logan TF, Hauke RJ, Curti B, Kirkwood JM, Gonzalez R, Amin A, Fishman M, Agarwal N, Lowder JN, Hua H, Aung S, Dutcher JP. Contemporary experience with high-dose interleukin-2 therapy and impact on survival in patients with metastatic melanoma and metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 65(12):1533-1544, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27714434.
- Ross JS, Wang K, Chmielecki J, Gay L, Johnson A, Chudnovsky J, Yelensky R, Lipson D, Ali SM, Elvin JA, Vergilio JA, Roels S, Miller VA, Nakamura BN, Gray A, Wong MK, Stephens PJ. The distribution of BRAF gene fusions in solid tumors and response to targeted therapy. Int J Cancer 138(4):881-90, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26314551.
- Da Silva DM, Woodham AW, Rijkee LK, Skeate JG, Taylor JR, Koopman ME, Brand HE, Wong MK, McKee GM, Salazar AM, Kast WM. Human papillomavirus-exposed Langerhans cells are activated by stabilized Poly-I:C. Papillomavirus Res 1:12-21, 2015. PMID: 26665182.
- Wong MK, Jonasch E, Pal SK, Signorovitch JE, Lin PL, Wang X, Liu Z, Culver K, Scott JA, George DJ, Vogelzang NJ. Prognostic factors for survival following initiation of second-line treatment with everolimus for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: evidence from a nationwide sample of clinical practice in the United States. Expert Opin Pharmacother 16(6):805-19, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25766864.
- McDermott DF, Cheng SC, Signoretti S, Margolin KA, Clark JI, Sosman JA, Dutcher JP, Logan TF, Curti BD, Ernstoff MS, Appleman L, Wong MK, Khushalani NI, Oleksowicz L, Vaishampayan UN, Mier JW, Panka DJ, Bhatt RS, Bailey AS, Leibovich BC, Kwon ED, Kabbinavar FF, Belldegrun AS, Figlin RA, Pantuck AJ, Regan MM, Atkins MB. The high-dose aldesleukin "select" trial: a trial to prospectively validate predictive models of response to treatment in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 21(3):561-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25424850.
- Ahmad S, Hewett PW, Fujisawa T, Sissaoui S, Cai M, Gueron G, Al-Ani B, Cudmore M, Ahmed SF, Wong MK, Wegiel B, Otterbein LE, Vítek L, Ramma W, Wang K, Ahmed A. Carbon monoxide inhibits sprouting angiogenesis and vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 phosphorylation. Thromb Haemost 113(2):329-37, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25354586.
- Signorovitch JE, Vogelzang NJ, Pal SK, Lin PL, George DJ, Wong MK, Liu Z, Wang X, Culver K, Scott JA, Jonasch E. Comparative effectiveness of second-line targeted therapies for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: synthesis of findings from two multi-practice chart reviews in the United States. Curr Med Res Opin 30(11):2343-53, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25105304.
- Lam ET, Wong MK, Agarwal N, Redman BG, Logan T, Gao D, Flaig TW, Lewis K, Poust J, Monk P, Jarkowski A, Sendilnathan A, Bolden M, Kuzel TM, Olencki T. Retrospective analysis of the safety and efficacy of high-dose interleukin-2 after prior tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma. J Immunother 37(7):360-5, 2014. PMID: 25075565.
- Carvajal RD, Wong MK, Thompson JA, Gordon MS, Lewis KD, Pavlick AC, Wolchok JD, Rojas PB, Schwartz JD, Bedikian AY. A phase 2 randomised study of ramucirumab (IMC-1121B) with or without dacarbazine in patients with metastatic melanoma. Eur J Cancer 50(12):2099-107, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24930625.
- Liu Y, Fang J, Kim YJ, Wong MK, Wang P. Codelivery of doxorubicin and paclitaxel by cross-linked multilamellar liposome enables synergistic antitumor activity. Mol Pharm 11(5):1651-61, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24673622.
- Woodham AW, Raff AB, Raff LM, Da Silva DM, Yan L, Skeate JG, Wong MK, Lin YG, Kast WM. Inhibition of Langerhans cell maturation by human papillomavirus type 16: a novel role for the annexin A2 heterotetramer in immune suppression. J Immunol 192(10):4748-57, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24719459.
- Wong MK, Yang H, Signorovitch JE, Wang X, Liu Z, Liu NS, Qi CZ, George DJ. Comparative outcomes of everolimus, temsirolimus and sorafenib as second targeted therapies for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a US medical record review. Curr Med Res Opin 30(4):537-45, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24329572.
- Kaufman HL, Wong MK, Daniels GA, McDermott DF, Aung S, Lowder JN, Morse MA. The Use of Registries to Improve Cancer Treatment: A National Database for Patients Treated with Interleukin-2 (IL-2). J Pers Med 4(1):52-64, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25562142.
- Da Silva DM, Movius CA, Raff AB, Brand HE, Skeate JG, Wong MK, Kast WM. Suppression of Langerhans cell activation is conserved amongst human papillomavirus α and β genotypes, but not a µ genotype. Virology 452-453:279-86, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24606705.
- Wong MK, Kaufman HL, Daniels GA, McDermott DF, Aung S, Lowder JN, Morse MA. Implementation of an Interleukin-2 National Registry: an opportunity to improve cancer outcomes. J Immunother Cancer 2:20, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25031835.
- Liu Y, Fang J, Joo KI, Wong MK, Wang P. Codelivery of chemotherapeutics via crosslinked multilamellar liposomal vesicles to overcome multidrug resistance in tumor. PLoS One 9(10):e110611, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25330237.
- Wong MK, Wang X, Chulikavit MJ, Liu Z. Review of US Comparative Economic Evidence for Treatment of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma after Failure of First-Line VEGF Inhibitor Therapy. Am Health Drug Benefits 6(5):275-86, 2013. PMID: 24991363.
- Dorff TB, Wong MK. Weighing the evidence for immune therapy and targeted therapy in renal cancer and melanoma. Oncology (Williston Park) 27(7):691-2, 694, 2013. PMID: 23977764.
- Joo KI, Xiao L, Liu S, Liu Y, Lee CL, Conti PS, Wong MK, Li Z, Wang P. Crosslinked multilamellar liposomes for controlled delivery of anticancer drugs. Biomaterials 34(12):3098-109, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23375392.
- Liu Y, Ji M, Wong MK, Joo KI, Wang P. Enhanced therapeutic efficacy of iRGD-conjugated crosslinked multilayer liposomes for drug delivery. Biomed Res Int 2013:378380, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23691500.
- Roosta N, Black DS, Wong MK, Woodley DT. Assessing hairdressers' knowledge of scalp and neck melanoma and their willingness to detect lesions and make referrals to dermatologists. J Am Acad Dermatol 68(1):183-5, 2013. PMID: 23244380.