Meet Nicole Fleming, M.D.
About Dr. Fleming
Dr. Fleming is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Gynecologic Oncology at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center since 2011. Dr. Fleming returns to the Houston area after completing her residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Duke University Medical Center and fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center.
Dr. Fleming sees patients within the Department of Gynecologic Oncology at MD Anderson, and at the MD Anderson Sugar Land location. Dr. Fleming believes in working closely with the patient and the referring doctor in order to provide quality care through a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach. Dr. Fleming is an expert in minimally invasive surgery, including robotic-assisted laparoscopy, for appropriate patients with cervical, endometrial, and early-stage ovarian cancers. Dr. Fleming has a special interest in sentinel lymph node identification and fertility sparing options for patients with endometrial and cervical cancer. In addition to providing excellent clinical care, Dr. Fleming continues to pursue her research interests which include surgical innovation, quality, and outcomes in gynecologic malignancies, personalizing treatment options for patients with ovarian and endometrial cancer, and rare uterine tumors. She has authored and co-authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals on these and other subjects. In addition, she has been invited to write book chapters on a variety of topics in gynecologic oncology.
Dr. Fleming is an active member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists. In addition, she serves as reviewer for several journals including Gynecologic Oncology, Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, and Annals of Surgical Oncology.
Associate Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2004||University of Texas Medical School, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2000||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, BS, Biomedical Science|
|2008-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA|
|2004-2008||Clinical Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|2014||Gynecologic Oncology, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology|
|2012||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Surgery Working Group, 2011 - Present
Member, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Endometrial Working Group, 2011 - Present
Member, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Developmental Therapeutics Working Group, 2011 - Present
Member, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, Fellowship Planning Committee, 2011 - Present
|2018||SPRINT for Life Research Award, Blanton-Davis Ovarian Cancer Research Program|
|2015||AACR/ASCO Methods in Clinical Cancer Research, AACR/ASCO|
|2015||Harvard Business School, Value Measurement for Healthcare|
|2014||Center Medical Director, MD Anderson Sugar Land Cancer Center|
|2014||AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar, AAMC|
|2014||Texas Rising Stars, SuperDoctors®|
|2014||MD Anderson Heart of Leadership, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||Award for Outstanding Paper by Fellow/Resident, GCF Carol's Cause|
|2010||UCLA K30 Graduate Training Program in Translational Investigation, University of California Los Angeles|
|2010||AACR Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology Workshop, AACR|
|2007||Administrative Chief Resident, Duke University Medical Center|
|2007||Outstanding Surgeon Award, Duke University Medical Center|
|2007||Felix Rutledge Fellowship, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2006||Medical Student Teaching Award, Duke University Medical Center|
|2003||Developmental Anatomy Award, University of Texas Medical School|
|2003||Neuroscience Award, University of Texas Medical School|
|2001||Massenburg Scholarship, University of Texas Medical School|
|2001||Joe T. Nelson Scholarship Award, University of Texas Medical School|
|2001||George Longshie Scholarship, University of Texas Medical School|
|1999||Outstanding Biomedical Science Student Award, Texas A&M University|
|1996||Dean's Honor List, Texas A&M University|
|1995||Scholarship - AT&T Academic Award, Texas A&M University|
|1995||Scholarship - Texas A&M Opportunity Award, Texas A&M University|
|1995||Scholarship - Meadow's Foundation, Texas A&M University|
- Suidan RS, He W, Sun CC, Zhao H, Fleming ND, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT, Westin SN, Lu KH, Giordano SH, Meyer LA. Impact of body mass index and operative approach on surgical morbidity and costs in women with endometrial carcinoma and hyperplasia. Gynecol Oncol 145(1):55-60, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28131529.
- Dalton HJ, Fleming ND, Sun CC, Bhosale P, Schmeler KM, Gershenson DM. Activity of bevacizumab-containing regimens in recurrent low-grade serous ovarian or peritoneal cancer: A single institution experience. Gynecol Oncol 145(1):37-40, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28139261.
- Fleming ND, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Chisholm GB, Nick AM, Westin SN, Frumovitz M. Quality of life after radical trachelectomy for early-stage cervical cancer: A 5-year prospective evaluation. Gynecol Oncol 143(3):596-603, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27742473.
- Nathenson MJ, Ravi V, Fleming N, Wang WL, Conley A. Uterine Adenosarcoma: A Review. Curr Oncol Rep 18(11):68, 2016. PMID: 27718181.
- Brown AJ, Shah JS, Fleming ND, Nick AM, Soliman PT, Chisholm GB, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M. Role of cervical cytology in surveillance after radical trachelectomy for cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 142(2):283-5, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27246304.
- Goldstein J, Pandey P, Fleming N, Westin S, Piha-Paul S. A Non-Pregnant Woman with Elevated Beta-HCG: A Case of Para-neoplastic Syndrome in Ovarian Cancer. Gynecol Oncol Rep 17:49-52, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27355002.
- Fleming ND, Soliman PT, Westin SN, Reis RD, Munsell M, Klopp AH, Frumovitz M, Nick AM, Schmeler K, Ramirez PT. Impact of lymph node ratio and adjuvant therapy in node-positive endometrioid endometrial cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25(8):1437-44, 2015. PMID: 26332387.
- Turner TB, Habib AS, Broadwater G, Valea FA, Fleming ND, Ehrisman JA, Di Santo N, Havrilesky LJ. Postoperative pain scores and narcotic use in robotic-assisted versus laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial cancer staging. J Minim Invasive Gynecol pii: S1553-4650(15):00402-1, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25967934.
- Arms RG, Sun CC, Burzawa JK, Fleming ND, Nick AM, Rallapalli V, Westin SN, Meyer LA, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. Improvement in quality of life after robotic surgery results in patient satisfaction. Gynecol Oncol 138(3):727-30, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26197762.
- Penner KR, Fleming ND, Barlavi L, Axtell AE, Lentz SE. Same-day discharge is feasible and safe in patients undergoing minimally invasive staging for gynecologic malignancies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 212(2):186.e1-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25132462.
- Fleming ND, Frumovitz M, Schmeler KM, dos Reis R, Munsell MF, Eifel PJ, Soliman PT, Nick AM, Westin SN, Ramirez PT. Significance of lymph node ratio in defining risk category in node-positive early stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 136(1):48-53, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25451695.
- Carroll A, Ramirez PT, Westin SN, Soliman PT, Munsell MF, Nick AM, Schmeler KM, Klopp AH, Fleming ND. Uterine adenosarcoma: An analysis on management, outcomes, and risk factors for recurrence. Gynecol Oncol 135(3):455-61, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25449308.
- Ulm MA, Fleming ND, Rallapali V, Munsell MF, Ramirez PT, Westin SN, Nick AM, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT. Position-related injury is uncommon in robotic gynecologic surgery. Gynecol Oncol 135(3):534-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25449565.
- Slaughter KN, Frumovitz M, Schmeler KM, Nick AM, Fleming ND, dos Reis R, Munsell MF, Westin SN, Soliman PT, Ramirez PT. Minimally invasive surgery for endometrial cancer: does operative start time impact surgical and oncologic outcomes?. Gynecol Oncol 134(2):248-52, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24945591.
- Jones N, Fleming ND, Nick AM, Munsell MF, Rallapalli V, Westin SN, Meyer LA, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. Conversion from robotic surgery to laparotomy: A case-control study evaluating risk factors for conversion. Gynecol Oncol 134(2):238-242, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24937481.
- Clark LH, Soliman PT, Munsell M, Odetto D, Schmeler KM, Fleming N, Westin SN, Nick AM, Ramirez PT.. Incidence of trocar site herniation following robotic gynecologic surgery. Gynecol Oncol 131(2):400-3, 2013.
- Fleming ND, Agadjanian H, Nassanian H, Miller CW, Orsulic S, Karlan BY, Walsh CS. XPC single nucleotide polymorphisms correlate with prolonged progression-free survival in advanced ovarian cancer. Cancer 118(118):689-97, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21751198.
- Fleming ND, Ramirez PT.. Robotic surgery in gynecologic oncology. Curr Opin Oncol 24(5):547-53, 2012.
- Barnett JC, Havrilesky LJ, Bondurant AE, Fleming ND, Lee PS, Secord AA, Berchuck A, Valea FA. Adverse events associated with laparoscopy vs laparotomy in the treatment of endometrial cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 205(2):143.e1-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21514921.
- Fleming ND, Cass I, Walsh CS, Karlan BY, Li AJ. CA125 surveillance increases optimal resectability at secondary cytoreductive surgery for recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 121(2):249-52, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21300398.
- Fleming ND, Lentz SE, Cass I, Li AJ, Karlan BY, Walsh CS. Is older age a poor prognostic factor in stage I and II endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma?. Gynecol Oncol 120(2):189-92, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21112078.
- Fleming ND, Havrilesky LJ, Valea FA, Allen TK, Broadwater G, Bland A, Habib AS. Analgesic and antiemetic needs following minimally invasive vs open staging for endometrial cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 204(1):65.e1-6, 2011. PMID: 20869036.
- Fleming ND, Alvarez-Secord A, Von Gruenigen V, Miller MJ, Abernethy AP. Indwelling catheters for the management of refractory malignant ascites: a systematic literature overview and retrospective chart review. J Pain Symptom Manage 38(3):341-9, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19328648.
- Secord AA, Havrilesky LJ, O'Malley DM, Bae-Jump V, Fleming ND, Broadwater G, Cohn DE, Gehrig PA. A multicenter evaluation of sequential multimodality therapy and clinical outcome for the treatment of advanced endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol 114(3):442-7, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19560193.
- Neubauer NL, Havrilesky LJ, Calingaert B, Bulusu A, Bernardini MQ, Fleming ND, Bland AE, Secord AA. The role of lymphadenectomy in the management of preoperative grade 1 endometrial carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 112(3):511-6, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19144394.
- Gomez-Hidalgo NR, Darin MC, Dalton H, Jhingran A, Fleming N, Brown J, Ramirez PT.. Ovarian torsion after laparoscopic ovarian transposition in patients with gynecologic cancer: a report of 2 cases. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. e-Pub 2015.
- Fleming ND. Extraperitoneal Lymphadenectomy in Gynecologic Malignancies. AAGL NewsScope 26(7), 2012.
- Holman L, Soliman PT, Broaddus R, Fleming ND, Dockery L, Klopp A, Lu KH, Munsell M, Navdeep P, Shiozaki T, Westin SN. Platinum-free interval is a predictor of survival for recurrent, advanced stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma. SGO 46th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2015.
- Fleming ND, Coleman RL, Tung C, Munsell MF, Sood AK. Phase II trial of Bevacizumab with Carboplatin and Dose-dense Paclitaxel as First-Line Treatment in Patients with Advanced Ovarian Cancer. SGO 46th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2015.
- Soliman PT, Westin SN, Fleming ND, Ramirez PT, Nick AM, Sun C, Levenback C, Frumovitz M, Dioun S, Lu KH.. Sentinel lymph node mapping accurately identifies positive nodes in women with high risk endometrial cancer. SGO 46th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2015.
- Nick AM, Ramirez PT, Schmeler KM, Westin SN, Fleming ND. Outcomes of pelvic exenteration: Does surgeon experience matter?. SGO 45th Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, 2014.
- Holman LL, Iglesias PT, Soliman NP, Klopp A, Broaddus R, Ayeni T, Fleming ND, Munsell MF, Lu KH, Westin SN. Long-term survival in advanced-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Holman L, Soliman P, Pal N, Balakrishnan N, Klopp A, Broaddus R, Fleming N, Munsell M, Lu K, Westin S. , March 2013.. Importance of platinum sensitivity and treatment modality in advanced-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma. SGO 44th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2013.
- Carroll A, Ramirez PT, Westin S, Soliman P, Munsell M, Nick A, Schmeler K, Frumovtiz M, Klopp A, Fleming N. Uterine adenosarecoma: A closer look at a rare disease. SGO 44th Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, 2013.
- Soliman, P, Sun C, Westin S, Fleming N, Schmeler K, Nick A, Ramirez PT. Improvement in quality of life after robotic surgery results in patient satisfaction. SGO 44th Annual Meeting on Women's Cancer, 2013.
- Frumovitz M; Hall TR; Sun CC; Fleming N; Ty ED; Ramirez PT. The utility of routine cyctoscopy after total laparoscopic hysterectomy. 41st AAGL Global Congress of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 2012.
- Fleming ND, Penner K, Barlavi L, Axtell AE, Lentz SE. Is overnight hospitalization a necessity in minimally invasive gynecologic oncology surgery?. SGO 43rd Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2012.
- Bandyopdhyay J, Munsell M, Schmeler KM,Nick AM, Westin SN, Frumovitz M, Fleming N, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. Risk Factors Associated with Conversion to Laparotomy in Patients Undergoing Robotic Surgery. 41st AAGL Global Congress of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 2012.
- Fleming ND, Axtell A, Lentz SE. Operative and anesthesia outcomes in endometrial cancer staging via 3 minimally invasive methods. Western Association of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Fleming ND, Agadjanian H, Nassanian H, Miller CW, Orsulic S, Karlan BY, Walsh CS. XPC single nucleotide polymorphisms correlate with prolonged progression-free survival in advanced ovarian cancer. SGO 42nd Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 2011.
- Fleming ND, Cass I, Walsh CS, Karlan BY, Li AJ. Early detection of recurrence through CA125 surveillance in women with epithelial ovarian cancer correlates with increased optimal secondary cytoreductive surgery. SGO 41st Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, March 2010. Western Association of Gynecologic Oncologists Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Fleming ND, Dorigo O, Goodman A.. Premalignant and Malignant Disorders of the Uterine Corpus. In: Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Obstetrics and Gynecology, 11th edition. McGraw-Hill Companies, 832-847, 2013.
- Fleming ND, Farias-Eisner R. Malignant Diseases of the Ovary and Fallopian Tube. In: DiSaia: Women’s Health Review: A Clinical Update in Obstetrics-Gynecology. Elsevier, 344-347, 2012.
- Fleming ND. Fertility Preservation in the Gynecologic Cancer Patient. In: Gynecologic Oncology: Evidence-Based Perioperative and Supportive Care, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc: Hoboken, NJ, 469-486, 2011.
- Fleming ND, Coleman RL, Sood AK. Clinical Decision Support Project. In: Targeted Therapies in Ovarian Cancer.