Professor with Tenure, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty Member, The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX
Our laboratory research are in the areas of metabolic alterations in cancer cells and mechanisms of action of novel anticancer agents. The goals our research programs are to investigate the foundamental changes in energy metabolism and redox regulation in cancer, to examine the molecular interaction between the cancer cells and anticancer drugs, and to develop novel strategies to selectively kill the malignant cells based on their metabolic alterations and survival pathways. Current research efforts are directed toward investigating the role of mitochondria in affecting glycolysis and drug-induced apoptosis, and examining the effect of oncogenic signals on mitochondrial respiration and ROS generation. Another important focus is the role of p53 and its associated molecules in sensing DNA damage by reactive oxygen species (ROS) and other genotoxic agents and the subsequent signaling for apoptosis. The understanding of the difference between the cancer cells and normal cells in their ATP metabolism and ROS/redox regulation will provide an important basis for developing novel agants and new strategies to selectively kill cancer cells and improve therapeutic activity and selectivity for cancer treatment.
|1990||The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Pharmacology|
|1982||Zhongshan Medical College, Guangzhou, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|1990-1992||Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1983-1984||Postgraduate Fellowship, Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou|
Ashbel Smith Professor, Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Associate Professor (tenure 09/01/2003), Department of Department of Molecular Pathology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2007
Assistant Professor (non-tenure track 1995-1999; tenure track 1999-2001), Department of Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1995 - 2001
Assistant Biochemist (non-tenure track), Department of Department of Clinical Investigation, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1992 - 1994
Research Associate, Department of Department of Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1991 - 1992
External Advisor, University of Iowa Free Radical Cancer Biology Research Program, Iowa City, IA, 2010 - Present
Project Investigator, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1990 - 1991
Postgraduate Fellow, Zhongshan Medical College, Guangzhou, 1983 - 1984
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Promotion & Tenure Committee, 2015 - Present
Member, Institutional Research Grant Review Committee (Basic Science), 2014 - Present
Member, Research Laboratory Space Subcommittee of the Research Council, 2013 - Present
Member, Experimental Therapeutics Academic Program Executive Committee, 2011 - Present
Senator, MDACC Faculty Senate, 2008 - 2011
Member, MDACC Odyssey Program Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, Institutional Research Laboratory Utilization Committee, 2005 - Present
|2015||Robert M. Chamberlain Distinguished Mentor Award Nominee|
|2012||NIH BMCT-C Study Section|
|2011||Ashbel Smith Endowed Professorship|
|2008||John P McGovern Outstanding Teacher Award, GSBS-University of Texas at Houston|
|2006||E. N. Cobb Faculty Scholar Award, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2003||NIH/NCI Drug Discovery & Molecular Pharmacology Study Section|
|2002||Experimental Therapeutics ET-1 Study Section, NIH/NCI|
|1998||First Independent Research Support and Transition Award, National Cancer Institute|
|1996||The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Physicians Referral Service Research Award, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|1984||Scholarship for Overseas Studies, Chinese Minister of Education|
- Ju H, Gocho T, Aguilar M, Wu M, Zhuang Z, Fu J, Yanaga K, Huang P, Chiao PJ. Mechanisms of overcoming intrinsic resistance to gemcitabine in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma through the redox modulation. Mol Cancer Ther, 2015. e-Pub 2014.
- Kang Y, Lou C, Ahmed KB, Huang P, Jin Z. Synthesis of biotinylated OSW-1. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19(17):5166-5168, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19640708.
- Trachootham D, Alexandre J, Huang P. Targeting cancer cells by ROS-mediated mechanisms: a radical therapeutic approach?. Nat Rev Drug Discov 8(7):579-591, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19478820.
- Chen Z, Zhang H, Lu W, Huang P. Role of mitochondria-associated hexokinase II in cancer cell death induced by 3-bromopyruvate. Biochim Biophys Acta 1787(5):553-560, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19285479.
- Pelicano H, Lu W, Zhou Y, Zhang Z, Chen Z, Hu Y, Huang P. Mitochondrial dysfunction and ROS imbalance promote breast cancer cell motility through a CXCL14-mediated mechanism. Cancer Research(69):2375-2383, 2009.
- Chen G, Izzo J, Demizu Y, Wang F, Guha S, Wu F, Hung M-C, Ajani JA, Huang P. Different redox states in malignant and non-malignant esophageal epithelial cells and differential cytotoxic responses to bile acid and honkiol. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 11:1083-1095, 2009.
- Izzo JG, Wu X, Wu TT, Huang P, Lee JS, Liao Z, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Hofstetter W, Maru D, Hung MC, Ajani JA. Therapy-induced expression of NF-kappaB portends poor prognosis in patients with localized esophageal cancer undergoing preoperative chemoradiation. Dis Esophagus 22:127-132, 2009.
- Demizu Y, Sasaki R, Trachootham D, Pelicano H, Colacino JA, Liu J, Huang P. Alterations of cellular redox state during NNK-induced malignant transformation and resistance to radiation. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 10:951-961, 2008.
- Yen CJ, Izzo JG, Lee DF, Guha S, Wei Y, Wu TT, Chen CT, Kuo HP, Hsu JM, Sun HL, Chou CK, Buttar NS, Wang KK, Huang P, Ajani J, Hung MC. Bile acid exposure up-regulates tuberous sclerosis complex 1/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway in Barrett's-assocated esophageal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 68:2632-2640, 2008.
- Zhang H, Trachootham D, Lu W, Carew JS, Giles FJ, Keating MJ, Arlinghaus RB, Huang P. Effective killing of Gleevec-Resistant CML Cells with T3151 Mutation by a Natural Compound PEITC through Redox-Mediated Mechanism. Leukemia 22:1191-1199, 2008.
- Trachootham D, Zhang H, Zhang W, Feng L, Du M, Zhou Y, Chen C, Pelicano H, Plunkett W, Wierda WG, Keating MJ, Huang P. Effective elimination of fludarabine-resistant CLL cells by PEITC through redox-mediated mechanism. Blood 112:1912-1922, 2008.
- Sasaki R, Suzuki Y, Yonezawa Y, Ota Y, Okamoto Y, Demizu Y, Huang P, Yoshida H, Sugimura K, Mizushina Y. DNA polymerase gamma inhibition by vitamin K3 induces mitochondria-mediated cytotoxicity in human cancer cells. Cancer Sci 99:1040-1048, 2008.
- Nawrocki ST, Carew JS, Maclean KH, Courage JF, Huang P, Houghton JA, Cleveland JL, Giles FJ, McConkey DJ. Myc regulates aggresome formation, the induction of Noxa, and apoptosis in response to the combination of bortezomib and SAHA. Blood 112:2917-2926, 2008.
- Carew JS, Nawrocki ST, Kahue CN, Zhang H, Yang C, Chung L, Houghton JA, Huang P, Giles FJ, Cleveland JL.. Targeting autophagy augments the anticancer activity of the histone deacetylase inhibitor SAHA to overcome Bcr- Abl-mediated drug resistance. Blood [Epub ahead of print], 2007.
- Alexandre J, Hu Y, Lu W, Pelicano H, Huang P.. Novel action of paclitaxel against cancer cells: Bystander effect mediated by reactive oxygen species. Cancer Research 67:3512-3517, 2007.
- Niu J, Chang Z, Peng B, Xia Q, Lu W, Huang P, Tsao MS, Chiao PJ. Keratinocyte growth factor/fibroblast growth factor-7-regulated cell migration and invasion through activation of NF-kappaB transcription factors 282:6001-6011, 2007.
- Trachootham D, Lu W, Ogasawara MA, Rivera-Del Valle N, Huang P. Redox Regulation of Cell Survival. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling 10:1343-1374, 2008.
- Lu W, Ogasawara MA, Huang P. Models of reactive oxygen species in cancer. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models 4(2):67-73, 2007.
- Trachootham D, Zhang W, Huang P. Oxidative stress and drug resistance in cancer. In: In Drug Resistance in Cancer Cells, Ed by Mehta K and Siddik ZH Springer Science Publications, 2009.
- Carew, JS, Zhou, Y, Huang, P. Oxidative Stress, Cell Proliferation, and Apoptosis. In: Oxidative Stress, Disease and Cancer. Imperial College Press: (London), Ch 9, 309-332, 2006.
- Huang, P, Wright, S. Apoptosis induced by nucleoside analogues. In: Nucleoside Analogs in Cancer Therapy. Marcel Dekker, Inc, 37-72, 1997.
- Plunkett, W, Ruiz van Haperen, VWT, Huang, P, Gandhi, V. Gemcitabine: a strategy for combination therapy. In: Ovarian Cancer 5. Chapman & Hall Ltd, 385-394, 1997.
- Gandhi, V, Du, M, Chapman, AJ, Huang, P, Estey, E, Keating, KJ, Plunkett, W. Fludarabine and ara-C combination for treatment of adult acute myelogenous leukemia: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic effects. In: Acute Leukemias V: Experimental Approaches & Management of Refractory Disease. Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- Hertel, LW, Kroin JS, Grossman, CS, Grindey, GB, Dorr, AF, Storniolo, AMV, Plunkett, W, Gandhi, V, Huang, P. Synthesis and biological activity of 2',2'-difluorodeoxycytidine (Gemcitabine). In: Biomedical Frontiers of Fluorine Chemistry, 265-278, 1996.
- Gandhi, V, Huang, P, Xu, Y-Z, Heinemann, V, Plunkett, W. Metabolism and action of 2',2'-difluorodeoxycytidine: self-potentiation of cytotoxicity. In: Purine and Pyrimidine Metabolism in Man. Plenum Publishing Corp, 125-130, 1991.