About Dr. Shi
Qiuling Shi develops clinically meaningful parameters for patient-reported outcomes (PROs) in measuring cancer treatment-induced symptom burden and its impact on the patient's daily functioning. Her published research has shown that the Brief Pain Inventory (BPI) "pain worst" item is the most sensitive descriptor for cancer pain measurement, and that a 7-day (versus the already-established 24-hour) recall period for the MD Anderson Cancer Inventory (MDASI) is psychometrically valid. She has developed an approach to dichotomize longitudinal PRO-measured symptom data in cancer patients. By providing evidence and methods, this body of work has changed the standards of applying and interpreting PRO-based measures in cancer clinical research and will continue to provide assistance in relevant medical settings well into the future.
Dr. Shi has led several projects on the epidemiological characteristics of symptoms and symptom management in various cancer populations, in survivors, and in the US general public. These studies investigated symptom burden in American cancer survivors through a nation-wide survey, aromatase inhibitor-induced joint pain and other symptoms in breast cancer survivors, the prevalence and management of pain in the general US population, and inflammatory gene polymorphisms as predictors for symptom burden in multiple myeloma survivors. The information on the symptom experience of US cancer survivors and the general population provided by these projects will help to inform decision-making about symptom management for cancer survivor care.
Dr. Shi engages in multiple collaborative studies in which she applies advanced statistical models to evaluate PRO outcomes in clinical trials and to link cancer treatment-related symptom burden with biomarkers and other clinical outcomes. These studies have shown that automated symptom alerts can reduce postoperative symptom severity, that symptom severity is a prognostic factor for overall survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer, and that circulating cytokine levels predict symptom development induced by aggressive cancer therapy.
Assistant Professor, Department of Symptom Research, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Symptom Research, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2000||The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an, CHN, PHD, Epidemiology and Biostatistics|
|1997||The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an, CHN, MS, Epidemiology and Biostatistics|
|1994||West China University of Medical Science, Chengdu, CHN, BMed/Medical Diploma, Preventive Medicine|
|2005-2007||Hawn Postdoctoral Fellowship, Symptom Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2002-2005||Research Fellowship, Epidemiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2002||Research Fellowship, Epidemiology, Natl Inst for Occupational Health & Poison Control, Chinese Cntr for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing|
- Aloia TA, Kim BJ, Segraves-Chun YS, Cata JP, Truty MJ, Shi Q, Holmes A, Soliz JM, Popat KU, Rahlfs TF, Lee JE, Wang XS, Morris JS, Gottumukkala VNR, Vauthey JN. A randomized controlled trial of postoperative thoracic epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia after major hepatopancreatobiliary surgery. Ann Surg 266(3):545-554, 2017. PMID: 28746153.
- Shi Q, Mendoza TR, Dueck AC, Ma H, Zhang J, Qian Y, Bhowmik D, Cleeland CS. Determination of mild, moderate, and severe pain interference in patients with cancer. Pain 158(6):1108-1112, 2017. PMID: 28267060.
- Gomez DR, Blumenschein GR, Lee JJ, Hernandez M, Ye R, Camidge DR, Doebele RC, Skoulidis F, Gaspar LE, Gibbons DL, Karam JA, Kavanagh BD, Tang C, Komaki R, Louie AV, Palma DA, Tsao AS, Sepesi B, William WN, Zhang J, Shi Q, Wang XS, Swisher SG, Heymach JV. Local consolidative therapy versus maintenance therapy or observation for patients with oligometastatic non-small-cell lung cancer without progression after first-line systemic therapy: a multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 17(12):1672-1682, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27789196.
- Shi Q, Wang XS, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Popat KU, Cleeland CS. Patient-reported symptom interference as a measure of postsurgery functional recovery in lung cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 52(6):822-831, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27521528.
- Shi Q, Mendoza TR, Wang XS, Cleeland CS. Using a symptom-specific instrument to measure patient-reported daily functioning in patients with cancer. Eur J Cancer 67:83-90, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27620946.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Williams LA, Komaki R, Gomez DR, Lin SH, Chang JY, O'Reilly MS, Bokhari RH, Cox JD, Mohan R, Cleeland CS, Liao Z. Prospective study of patient-reported symptom burden in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer undergoing proton or photon chemoradiation therapy. J Pain Symptom Manage 51(5):832-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26891607.
- Shah N, Shi Q, Williams LA, Mendoza TR, Wang XS, Reuben JM, Dougherty PM, Bashir Q, Qazilbash MH, Champlin RE, Cleeland CS, Giralt SA. Higher stem cell dose infusion after intensive chemotherapy does not improve symptom burden in older patients with multiple myeloma and amyloidosis. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 22(2):226-31, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26253006.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Dougherty PM, Eng C, Mendoza TR, Williams LA, Fogelman DR, Cleeland CS. Prechemotherapy touch sensation deficits predict oxaliplatin-induced neuropathy in patients with colorectal cancer. Oncology 90(3):127-35, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26882477.
- Fagundes CP, Shi Q, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Popat KU, Cleeland CS, Wang XS. Symptom recovery after thoracic surgery: Measuring patient-reported outcomes with the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 150(3):613-9.e2, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26088408.
- Shi Q, Wang XS, Li G, Shah ND, Orlowski RZ, Williams LA, Mendoza TR, Cleeland CS. Racial/ethnic disparities in inflammatory gene single-nucleotide polymorphisms as predictors of a high risk for symptom burden in patients with multiple myeloma 1 year after diagnosis. Cancer 121(7):1138-46, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25469832.
- Shi Q, Duvic M, Osei JS, Hordinsky MK, Norris DA, Price VH, Amos CI, Christiano AM, Mendoza TR. Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in alopecia areata patients-a secondary analysis of the National Alopecia Areata Registry Data. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 16(1):S49-50, 2013. PMID: 24326555.
- Shi Q, Mendoza TR, Gunn GB, Wang XS, Rosenthal DI, Cleeland CS. Using group-based trajectory modeling to examine heterogeneity of symptom burden in patients with head and neck cancer undergoing aggressive non-surgical therapy. Qual Life Res 22(9):2331-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23475689.
- Shi Q, Giordano SH, Lu H, Saleeba AK, Malveaux D, Cleeland CS. Anastrozole-associated joint pain and other symptoms in patients with breast cancer. J Pain 14(3):290-6, 2013. PMID: 23452648.
- Shi Q, Smith TG, Michonski JD, Stein KD, Kaw C, Cleeland CS. Symptom burden in cancer survivors 1 year after diagnosis: a report from the American Cancer Society's Studies of Cancer Survivors. Cancer 117(12):2779-90, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21495026.
- Cleeland CS, Wang XS, Shi Q, Mendoza TR, Wright SL, Berry MD, Malveaux D, Shah PK, Gning I, Hofstetter WL, Putnam JB, Vaporciyan AA. Automated symptom alerts reduce postoperative symptom severity after cancer surgery: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Clin Oncol 29(8):994-1000, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21282546.
- Sprangers MA, Sloan JA, Barsevick A, Chauhan C, Dueck AC, Raat H, Shi Q, Van Noorden CJ. Scientific imperatives, clinical implications, and theoretical underpinnings for the investigation of the relationship between genetic variables and patient-reported quality-of-life outcomes. Qual Life Res 19(10):1395-1403, 2010. PMID: 20945161.
- Shi Q, Cleeland CS, Klepstad P, Miaskowski C, Pedersen NL, GeneQOL Consortium. Biological pathways and genetic variables involved in pain. Qual Life Res 19(10):1407-17, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20842532.
- Shi Q, Trask PC, Wang XS, Mendoza TR, Apraku WA, Malekifar M, Cleeland CS. Does recall period have an effect on cancer patients' ratings of the severity of multiple symptoms?. J Pain Symptom Manage 40(2):191-9, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20579835.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Williams LA, Mao L, Cleeland CS, Komaki RR, Mobley GM, Liao Z. Inflammatory cytokines are associated with the development of symptom burden in patients with NSCLC undergoing concurrent chemoradiation therapy. Brain Behav Immun 24(6):968-74, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20353817.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Lu C, Basch EM, Johnson VE, Mendoza TR, Mobley GM, Cleeland CS. Prognostic value of symptom burden for overall survival in patients receiving chemotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer 116(1):137-45, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19852033.
- Sprangers MA, Sloan JA, Veenhoven R, Cleeland CS, Halyard MY, Abertnethy AP, Baas F, Barsevick AM, Bartels M, Boomsma DI, Chauhan C, Dueck AC, Frost MH, Hall P, Klepstad P, Martin NG, Miaskowski C, Mosing M, Movsas B, Van Noorden CJ, Patrick DL, Pedersen NL, Ropka ME, Shi Q, Shinozaki G, Singh JA, Yang P, Zwinderman AH. The establishment of the GENEQOL consortium to investigate the genetic disposition of patient-reported quality-of-life outcomes. Twin Res Hum Genet 12(3):301-11, 2009. PMID: 19456223.
- Shi Q, Wang XS, Mendoza TR, Pandya KJ, Cleeland CS. Assessing persistent cancer pain: a comparison of current-pain ratings and pain recalled from the past week. J Pain Symptom Manage 37(2):168-74, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18676116.
- Wang XS, Shi Q, Williams LA, Cleeland CS, Mobley GM, Reuben JM, Lee BN, Giralt SA. Serum interleukin-6 predicts the development of multiple symptoms at nadir of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Cancer 113(8):2102-9, 2008. PMID: 18792065.
- Shi Q, Langer G, Cohen J, Cleeland CS. People in pain: How do they seek relief?. J Pain 8(8):624-36, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17586099.
- Wang L, Wei Q, Shi Q, Guo Z, Qiao Y, Spitz MR. A modified host-cell reactivation assay to measure repair of alkylating DNA damage for assessing risk of lung adenocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis 28(7):1430-6, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17341660.
- Shi Q, Smith T, Mendoza T, Kaw C, Cleeland CS. Symptom burden in cancer survivors: a report from the American Cancer Society's studies of cancer survivors. American Society of Clinical Oncology 2009 Annual Meeting, Orlando FL, May 29 - June 2, 2009. J Clin Oncol 27(15 Suppl), 2009.
- Shi Q, Cleeland CS. Genetic approaches to treating and preventing symptoms in patients with cancer. In: Cancer Symptom Science: Measurement, Mechanisms, and Management. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge UK, 192-205, 2011.