Rachel Lynn, M.D.
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Internal Medicine
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas Health Science Center McGovern School of Medicine, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2004||University of California, School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA, USA, MD, Medical Degree|
|1997||Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA, USA, BA, Bachelor of Arts|
|2008-2009||Clinical Fellowship, Psychosomatic Medicine/Psycho-Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
|2004-2008||Clinical Residency, Psychiatry Residency Program, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY|
|2011||Psychosomatic Medicine - American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology|
|2008||General Adult Psychiatry - American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA, 2009 - 2012
Quality Officer, Department of Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - Present
Patient Safety Officer, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
EPIC Super User, Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2015 - 2019
EPIC Subject Matter Expert, Psychiatry, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2019
Institutional Committee Activities
Co-Founder and Co-Chair, Focus on Junior Faculty, 2016 - 2018
Member, Women and Minority Faculty Inclusion Advisory Committee Meetings, 2016 - 2018
Member, Psychosocial Council, Electronic Health Record Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, The Council of Division Committees on Gender Inclusiveness, Women and Minority Faculty Inclusion, 2014 - 2019
Member, Psychiatry, EPIC Confidentiality Privacy Committee, 2014 - 2016
Member, Faculty Health & Well Being, 2013 - 2016
Honors & Awards
|2014||Participant, Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar, Association of American Medical Colleges|
|1997||Leo M Leva Biology Award, Swarthmore College|
|1997||Member, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society|
|1997||Member, Sigma Xi Honor Society|
|1995||John Nason Fellowship for Public Service, Swarthmore College|
- Meyer F, Lynn R. Breast Cancer: What Psychiatrists Need to Know. Psychiatric Times 33(6), 2016.
- Garcia C, Lynn R, Breitbart W. Psychotropic Medications in Palliative Care. Primary Psychiatry 16(5):25-32, 2009. e-Pub 2009.
- Cooke L, Gotto J, Lynn R, Mayorga L, Grant M What do I say? Suicide assessment and management. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 2013.
- De La Garza II R, Thekdi S, Rashid A, Lynn R, Ignatius J, Gonzalez R, Tan D, Rickman K, Hughes M, Joseph N, Onyemeh Sea A, Smith C, Bell M, Valentine A. Characterization of Demographics and Psychiatric Symptoms in 500 Patients Enrolled in the MD Anderson Cancer Center Psychiatry Patient Registry Protocol. Psycho-Oncology 24(S2):163, 2015.
- Lynn R, De La Garza R, Joseph N, Onyemeh Sea A, Valentine A. Use of the NCCN Distress Thermometer and Emotional Problem List in predicting psychiatric symptoms. Psycho-Oncology 24(S2):75, 2015.
- Lynn R, Khosh-Chashm D. Recognizing and Treating Subsyndromic Steroid-induced Mood Lability, Anxiety, and Insomnia in Cancer Patients: Case Series and Literature Review. Proceedings of the American Psychiatric Association 2014 Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Mayorga L, Espenschied J, Cooke L, Gotto J, Lynn R, Grant M, Snyder D. Pre-transplant Substance Use: A Retrospective Chart Review of Inpatient Psychiatric Consultations Within 100 Days of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Psycho-Oncology 23(S1):26, 2014.
- Lynn R. Delirium: Overview, Identiﬁcation and Updated Criteria. Psycho-Oncology 23(S1):40, 2014.
- Murray B, Gilpin R, Lynn R, Papapanagiotou D, Perez E, Bell MA. Improving the Process for Patients to Access Psychiatric Oncology Services. Proceedings of The University of Texas System Shared Visions Conference, 2013.
- Mayorga L, Cooke L, Grant M, Gotto J, Lynn R, Espenschied J, Snyder D. Pre-transplant Distress: A Retrospective Chart Review of Inpatient Psychiatric Consultations within 100 Days of Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Education's 2013 International Cancer Education Conference, 2013.
- Lynn R, Gotto J, Cooke L, Mayorga L, Grant M. Outpatient Psychiatric Consultations at an NCI-designated Cancer Center: A Retrospective Chart Review. Proceedings of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine 2012 Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Mayorga L, Gotto J, Lynn R. Evaluating the Implementation of Webinars to Enhance Social wWork Knowledge, Self-efficacy and Increase Social Work and Psychiatry Collaboration. Psycho-Oncology 21(S1):53, 2012.
- Mayorga L, Gotto J, Lynn R. Enhancing Psychiatric Triage by Developing and Implementing Interactive innovative Education Modules for Social Workers via the web. Psycho-Oncology 20(S2):204, 2011.
- Gotto J, Lynn R, Mayorga L. Collaboration Between Psychiatry and Health Educators in a Cancer Setting: Developing Interactive Educational Modules for Social Workers. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Education's 2011 International Cancer Education Conference, 2011.
- Lynn R, Davis C. An Interdisciplinary Approach to Identification and Management of at-risk Patients in the Oncology Setting. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference of the American Psychosocial Oncology Society, 2011.
- Lynn R, Valentine A. Psychiatric Emergencies. In: Psychopharmacology in Oncology and Palliative Care. 1. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 317-330, 2014.