About Dr. Royal
During fifteen years of residencies and fellowships, Dr Royal developed expertise in Surgical Oncology, Tumor Immunology and Immunotherapy. His research has focused on tumor immunology of melanoma and pancreatic cancer. Following training, Dr Royal moved directly into a Senior Investigator position at the NIH Intramural program. Thereafter he joined the staff at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center as an Associate Professor of Surgical Oncology. The focus of his research is manipulation of immunity to mediate tumor regression. This has included bench investigation, including an ASCO merit award winning project, and translational clinical trials. Clinical expertise includes mastery of a rare set of therapeutic operations know as regional perfusion procedures including isolated limb perfusion, peritoneal perfusion and isolated hepatic perfusion.
Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Melanoma Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1988||Oregon Health Sciences University, School of Medicine, Portland, OR, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, USA, BS, Biology|
|2001-2002||Medical Ethics Internship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2003||Surgical Oncology Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-2000||General Surgery Residency, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD|
|1994-1997||Surgical Oncology Fellowship, National Institutes of Health - National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD|
|1993-1994||Immunotherapy Fellowship, National Institutes of Health - National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD|
|1991-1993||Pediatric Surgery Research Fellowship, University of Cincinnati - Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH|
|1988-1991||General Surgery Residency, Surgery, York Hospital, York, PA|
|2001||American Board of Surgery|
Associate Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2015
|1997||Merit Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|1981||Menno Simons Academic Scholarship, Eastern Mennonite University|
- Rueth NM, Xing Y, Chiang YJ, Cromwell KD, Ross MI, Lee JE, Gershenwald JE, Royal RE, Cormier JN. Is Surveillance Imaging Effective for Detecting Surgically Treatable Recurrences in Patients With Melanoma? A Comparative Analysis of Stage-Specific Surveillance Strategies. Ann Surg 259(6):1215-22, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24096759.
- Overman MJ, Fournier K, Hu CY, Eng C, Taggart M, Royal RE, Mansfield P, Chang GJ. Improving the AJCC/TNM Staging for Adenocarcinomas of the Appendix: The Prognostic Impact of Histological Grade. Ann Surg 257(6):1072-8, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23001080.
- Bilen MA, Taggart MW, Fournier K, Ellis LM, Mansfield PF, Eng C, Royal RE, Overman MJ. Pathologic complete response in poorly differentiated adenocarcinomas of the appendix: a case series. Acta Oncol 52(5):1044-6, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23020527.
- Lieu CH, Lambert LA, Wolff RA, Eng C, Zhang N, Wen S, Rafeeq S, Taggart M, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Overman MJ. Systemic chemotherapy and surgical cytoreduction for poorly differentiated and signet ring cell adenocarcinomas of the appendix. Ann Oncol 23(3):652-8, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21653683.
- Frankel TL, Burns W, Riley J, Morgan RA, Davis JL, Hanada K, Quezado M, Rosenberg SA, Royal RE. Identification and characterization of a tumor infiltrating CD56(+)/CD16 (-) NK cell subset with specificity for pancreatic and prostate cancer cell lines. Cancer Immunol Immunother 59(12):1757-69, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20734041.
- Royal RE, Levy C, Turner K, Mathur A, Hughes M, Kammula US, Sherry RM, Topalian SL, Yang JC, Lowy I, Rosenberg SA. Phase 2 trial of single agent Ipilimumab (anti-CTLA-4) for locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Immunother 33(8):828-33, 2010. PMID: 20842054.
- Alexander HR, Bartlett DL, Libutti SK, Pingpank JF, Fraker DL, Royal R, Steinberg SM, Helsabeck CB, Beresneva TH. Analysis of factors associated with outcome in patients undergoing isolated hepatic perfusion for unresectable liver metastases from colorectal center. Ann Surg Oncol 16(7):1852-1859, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19434456.
- Royal RE, Pingpank JF. Diagnosis and management of peritoneal carcinomatosis arising from adenocarcinoma of the colon and rectum. Semin Oncol 35(2):183-91, 2008. PMID: 18396204.
- Dudley ME, Wunderlich JR, Yang JC, Sherry RM, Topalian SL, Restifo NP, Royal RE, Kammula U, White DE, Mavroukakis SA, Rogers LJ, Gracia GJ, Jones SA, Mangiameli DP, Pelletier MM, Gea-Banacloche J, Robinson MR, Berman DM, Filie AC, Abati A, Rosenberg SA. Adoptive cell transfer therapy following non-myeloablative but lymphodepleting chemotherapy for the treatment of patients with refractory metastatic melanoma. J Clin Oncol 23(10):2346-57, 2005. PMID: 15800326.
- Royal RE, Delpassand ES, Shapiro SE, Fritsche HA, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Sherman SI, Gagel RF, Evans DB, Lee JE. Improving the yield of preoperative parathyroid localization: technetium Tc 99m-sestamibi imaging after thyroid suppression. Surgery 132(6):968-74; discussion 974-5, 2002. PMID: 12490843.
- Royal RE, Kershaw MH, Reeves ME, Wang G, Daly T, Treisman J, Lam J, Hwu P. Increased functional expression of transgene in primary human lymphocytes using retroviral vectors modified with IRES and splicing motifs. Gene Ther 9(16):1085-1092, 2002. PMID: 12140736.
- Wang G, Chopra RK, Royal RE, Yang JC, Rosenberg SA, Hwu P. A T cell-independent antitumor response in mice with bone marrow cells retrovirally transduced with an antibody/Fc-gamma chain chimeric receptor gene recognizing a human ovarian cancer antigen. Nat Med 4(2):168-72, 1998. PMID: 9461189.
- Reeves ME, Royal RE, Lam JS, Rosenberg SA, Hwu P. Retroviral transduction of human dendritic cells with a tumor-associated antigen gene. Cancer Res 56(24):5672-5677, 1996. PMID: 8971174.
- Royal RE, Steinberg SM, Krouse RS, Heywood G, White DE, Hwu P, Marincola FM, Parkinson DR, Schwartzentruber DJ, Topalian SL, Yang JC, Rosenberg SA. Correlates of response to IL-2 therapy in patients treated for metastatic renal cancer and melanoma. Cancer J Sci Am 2(2):91-98, 1996. PMID: 9166506.