About Dr. Katz
RUTH L. KATZ, MD
Specialty – Cytopathology and Hematocytopathology
RUTH L. KATZ, MD is a board certified Anatomic Pathologist and Cytopathologist who is currently Professor of Pathology, Chief Research Cytopathology, and Director, Image Cytometry Diagnostic Laboratory at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas.
Dr. Katz received her medical degree from the University of Witwatersrand Medical School in Johannesburg, South Africa. She completed a residency in anatomic pathology and hematopathology at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, along with a residency in anatomic pathology at New England Medical Center Tufts Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. She served fellowships in Laboratory Medicine and Cytopathology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas. Dr. Katz was Chief of Cytopathology at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center from 1984 until 1998. During that time she was instrumental in setting up the Quality Assurance and Quality Control Program for Cytopathology, including gynecological cytopathology. She also instituted the regulations as required by the CLIA Act of 1988, and has been actively involved in cervical cytology quality assurance for over 20 years.
Her laboratory and research interests are in fine needle aspiration of all body sites, cytopathology of the bladder combined with special testing for molecular abnormalities by FISH, fine needle aspiration of lymphoma using a multiparameter approach, stem cell research and computer-assisted image processing for diagnosing malignancy. Presently her major research interest is in looking at genetic susceptibility to develop lung cancer, and she has developed a panel of novel molecular markers in sputum that are designed to predict those people at high risk for developing lung cancer. She is active in numerous national and international associations including the American Society of Cytopathology, International Academy of Cytopathology, USCAP, and the American Association for Cancer Research. She is a well known Cytopathology lecturer and workshop leader both nationally and internationally. She has authored and co-authored close to 200 articles in leading peer review journals including The New England Journal of Medicine, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Acta Cytologica, Diagnostic Cytopathology, Cancer, Clinical Cancer Research, and Journal of the National Cancer Institute. She also serves on the editorial board of numerous pathology journals including Cancer Cytopathology, Acta Cytologica and the Cyto Journal. She is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the American Society of Cytopathology.
Professor, Department of Department of Pathology/Cytopathology, Division of Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor, Department of Cytotechnology Program, School of Health Professions, Division of Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Katz's laboratory and research interests are in fine needle aspiration of all body sites, cytopathology of the bladder combined with special testing for molecular abnormalities by FISH, fine needle aspiration of lymphoma using a multiparameter approach, stem cell research and computer-assisted image processing for diagnosing malignancy. Presently her major research interest is in looking at genetic susceptibility to develop lung cancer, and she has developed a panel of novel molecular markers in sputum that are designed to predict those people at high risk for developing lung cancer. She is active in numerous national and international associations including the American Society of Cytopathology, International Academy of Cytopathology, USCAP, and the American Association for Cancer Research. She is a well known Cytopathology lecturer and workshop leader both nationally and internationally. She has authored and co-authored close to 200 articles in leading peer review journals including The New England Journal of Medicine, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Acta Cytologica, Diagnostic Cytopathology, Cancer, Clinical Cancer Research, and Journal of the National Cancer Institute. She also serves on the editorial board of numerous pathology journals including Cancer Cytopathology, Acta Cytologica and the Cyto Journal. She is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the American Society of Cytopathology.
|1969||University of Witwatersrand Medical School, Johannesburg, ZAF, MBBCH, Medicine and Surgery|
|1979-1981||Fellowship, Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1978-1979||Fellowship, Cytopathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1976-1978||Residency, Anatomical Pathology, New England Medical Center Hospital (Tufts), Boston, MA|
|1973-1976||Residency, Anatomical Pathology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town|
|1972-1973||Residency, Hematopathology, University of Cape Town, Cape Town|
|1970-1970||Internship, Medicine, Edenvale Hospital, Transvaal|
|1991||American Board of Cytopathology|
|1981||American Board of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology|
Associate Professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Section of Cytopathology, Houston, TX, 1984 - 1992
Assistant Professor of Pathology, Department of Pathology, Division of Department of Pathologist, Section of Cytopathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1983 - 1984
Instructor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, School of Allied Health Sciences, The University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, TX, 1981 - 1983
Member of Foundation Board, American Society of Cytopathology, Wilmington, DE, 2009 - Present
Chief, Finance Committee (ASC), American Society of Cytopathology, Wilmington, DE, 2009 - 2010
Consultant, BioView Ltd, Tel Aviv & Rehovot, 2007 - 2010
Executive Board Member, American Society of Cytopathology, Wilmington, DE, 2007 - 2011
Scientific Advisory Board, Clarient Inc, Aliso Viejo, CA, 2005 - Present
Consultant, Clarient Inc, Aliso Viejo, California, 2004 - 2012
- Chen Y, Chen JQ, Katz RL. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma: A challenge to the cytopathologist. Journal of American Society of Cytopathology 4(3):148-159, 2015.
- Guo M, Khanna A, Dhillon J, Patel SJ, Feng J, Williams MD, Bell DM, Gong Y, Katz RL, Sturgis EM, Staerkel GA. Cervista HPV assays for fine-needle aspiration specimens are a valid option for human papillomavirus testing in patients with oropharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol 122(2):93-103, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24339259.
- Melhem-Bertrandt A, Moulder S, Hortobagy GN, Loghin ME, Katz RL, Ensor Jr J, Valero V, Smith B, Buzdar A. Leptomeningeal disease and breast cancer: The importance of tumor subtype. Breast Cancer Res Treat 146(3):477-86, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25038877.
- Chen JQ, Bao Y, Lee J, Murray JL, Litton JK, Xiao L, Zhou R, Wu Y, Shen XY, Zhang H, Sahin AA, Katz RL, Bondy ML, Berinstein NL, Hortobagyi GN, Radvanyi LG. Prognostic value of the trichorhinophalangeal syndrome-1 (TRPS1), a GATA family transcription factor, in early-stage breast cancer. Ann Oncol 24(10):2534-42, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23729783.
- Sharafkhana A, Lee JJ, Liu D, Katz RL, Caraway N, Acosta C, Wistuba II, Aggarwal B, Dickey B, Hanania N, Newman R, Abdel-Monem H, Nguyen NB, Farhangfar CJ, Hong WK, Kurie JM. A pilot double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of curcumin/bioperine for lung cancer chemoprevention in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Advances in Lung Cancer 2(3):62-69, 2013.
- Wang J, Katz RL, Stewart J, Landon G, Guo M, Gong Y. Fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of lymphomas with signet ring cell features: Potential pitfalls and solutions. Cancer Cytopathol 121(9):525-32, 2013. PMID: 23536424.
- Chae YK, Hu MI, Katz RL, Chavez-MacGregor M, Haluska P, Meric-Bernstam F, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Melhem-Bertrandt A. Two birds with one stone:Octreotide treatment for acromegaly and breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 31(23):e398-400, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23796991.
- Kamat AM, Dickstein RJ, Messetti F, Anderson R, Pretzsch SM, Gonzalez GN, Katz RL, Khanna A, Zaidi T, Wu X, Grossman HB, Dinney CP. Use of fluorescence in situ hybridization to predict response to bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for bladder cancer: results of a prospective trial. J Urol 187(3):862-867, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 2245325.
- Mei YP, Liao JP, Shen JP, Yu L, Liu BL, Liu L, Li RY, Ji L, Dorsey SG, Jiang ZR, Katz RL, Wang JY, Jiang F. Small nucleolar RNA 42 acts as an oncogene in lung tumorigenesis. Oncogene 31(22):2794-2804, 2012. PMID: 21986946.
- Kim MP, Chen Y, Bekele BN, Ordonez A, Khanna A, Chen JQ, Spitz MR, Bhrens C, Solis L, Wismach M, Ji L, Wistuba II, Roth JA, Katz RL.. AP2ß nucleolar localization predicts poor survival after stage 1 non-small cell lung cancer resection. Ann Thorac Surg 92(3):1044-50, 2011. PMID: 21871297.
- Shen J, Todd NW, Zhang H, Yu L, Lingxiao X, Mei Y, Guarnera M, Liao J, Chou A, Lu CL, Jiang Z, Fang H, Katz RL, Jiang F. Plasma microRNAs as potential biomarkers for non-small lung cancer. Lab Invest 91(4):579-87, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21116241.
- Richmond AD, Katz RL. Comparison of Fine Needle Aspiration and Needle Core Biopsies in the Diagnosis of T-Cell Lymphomas. Lab Invest 91:85A, 2011.
- Shin HJC, Katz RL. Thymic Neoplasia as Represented by Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy of Anterior Mediastinal Masses. Acta Cytologica 42(4):855-864, 2011. PMID: 9684568.
- Khalil M, Shin HJC, Tan A, DuBose Jr TD, Ordonez N, Katz RL. Macrophagelike vacuolated renal tubular cells in the urine of a male with osmotic nephrosis associated with intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. Acta cytologica 44(1):86-90, 2011. PMID: 10667167.
- Liu J, Katz RL, Shin HJC, Johnston DA, Zhang H, Caraway NP. Use of mailed urine specimens in diagnosing urothelial carcinoma by cytology and DNA image analysis. Acta Cytologica 49(2):157-62, 2011. PMID: 15839620.
- Chen Z, Ayala P, Wang M, Fayad L, Katz RL, Romaguera J, Caraway N, Neelapu SS, Kwak LW, Simmons PJ, McCarty N. Prospective isolation of clonogenic mantle cell lymphoma initiating cells. Stem Cell Res 5(3):212-225, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20851072.
- Guber A, Greif J, Rona R, Fireman E, Madi L, Kaplan T, Yemini Z, Gottfried M, Katz RL, Daniely M. Computerized analysis of cytology and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) in induced sputum for lung cancer detection. Cancer Cytopathol 118(5):269-77, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20665655.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Fernandez RL, Payne L, Bassett RL, Zhang HZ, Kamat A, Katz RL. Fluorescence in situ hybridization for detecting urothelial carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study. Cancer Cytopathol 118(5):259-68, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20665656.
- Katz RL, He W, Khanna A, Fernandez RL, Zaidi TM, Krebs M, Caraway NP, Zhang HZ, Jiang F, Spitz MR, Blowers DP, Jimenez CA, Mehran RJ, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Morris JS, Etzel CJ, El-Zein R. Genetically abnormal circulating cells in lung cancer patients: an antigen-independent fluorescence in situ hybridization-based case-control study. Clin Cancer Res 16(15):3976-87, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20651054.
- Caraway NP, Katz RL. A review on the current state of urine cytology emphasizing the role of fluorescence in situ hybridization as an adjunct to diagnosis. Cancer Cytopathol 118(4):175-83, 2010. PMID: 20731004.
- Kapur U, Katz RL. Radioactive iodine-associated changes in thyroid on fine-needle aspiration. Diagn Cytopathol 38(2):119-20, 2010. PMID: 19459169.
- Yu L, Todd NW, Xing L, Xie Y, Zhang H, Liu Z, Fang HB, Zhang J, Katz RL, Jiang F. Early detection of lung adenocarcinoma in sputum by a panel of microRNA markers. Int J Cancer 127(12):2870-2878, 2010. PMID: 21351266.
- Jiang F, Todd NW, Qiu Q, Liu Z, Katz RL, Stass SA.. Combined genetic analysis of sputum and computed tomography for noninvasive diagnosis of non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 66(1):58-63, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19181417.
- Sircar K, Yoshimoto M, Monzon FA, Koumakpayi IH, Katz RL, Khanna A, Alvarez K, Chen G, Darnel AD, Aprikian AG, Saad F, Bismar TA, Squire JA.. PTEN genomic deletion is associated with p-Akt and AR signalling in poorer outcome, hormone refractory prostate cancer. J Pathol 218(4):505-13, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19402094.
- Xie Y, Todd NW, Liu Z, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Analysis of altered microRNA expression in sputum for diagnosis of non-small lung cancer. Lung Cancer 67(2):170-176, 2009.
- Jiang F, Qiu Q, Khanna A, Todd NW, Deepak J, Xing L, Wang H, Liu Z, Su Y, Stass SA, Katz RL. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1 is a tumor stem cell-associated marker in lung cancer. Mol Cancer Res 7(3):330-8, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19276181.
- Caraway NP, Thomas E, Khanna A, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Lin E, Keating MJ, Katz RL.. Chromosomal abnormalities detected by multicolor fluorescence in situ hybridization in fine-needle aspirates from patients with small lymphocytic lymphoma are useful for predicting survival. Cancer 114(5):315-22, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18683215.
- Park HS, Park WS, Bondaruk J, Tanaka N, Katayama H, Lee S, Spiess PE, Steinberg JR, Wang Z, Katz RL, Dinney C, Elias KJ, Lotan Y, Naeem RC, Baggerly K, Sen S, Grossman HB, Czerniak B. Quantitation of aurora kinase A gene copy number in urine sediments and bladder cancer detection. J Natl Cancer Inst 100(19):1401-1411, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18812553.
- Yendamuri S, Vaporciyan AA, Zaidi T, Feng L, Fernandez R, Bekele NB, Hofstetter WL, Jiang F, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Spitz MR, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Roth JA, Katz RL.. 3p22.1 and 10q22.3 Deletions detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) a potential new tool for early detection of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Thorac Oncol 3(9):979-84, 2008. PMID: 18758299.
- Qiu Q, Todd NW, Li R, Peng H, Liu Z, Yfantis HG, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Magnetic enrichment of bronchial epithelial cells from sputum for lung cancer diagnosis. Cancer 114(4):275-283, 2008. PMID: 1848646.
- Groves MD, Katz RL.. Low grade astrocytoma presenting with visual loss. J Neurooncol 89(1):49-50, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18398571.
- Katz RL, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RL, Zhang J, He W, Acosta C, Daniely M, Madi L, Vargas MA, Dong Q, Gao X, Jiang XG, Jiang F, Caraway NP, Vaporciyan AA, Roth JA, Spitz MR.. Automated detection of genetic abnormalities combined with cytology in sputum is a sensitive predictor of lung cancer. Mod Pathol 21(8):950-60, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18500269.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Dawlett M, Guo M, Guo N, Lin E, Katz RL.. Gain of the 3q26 region in cervicovaginal liquid-based pap preparation is associated with squamous intraepithelial lesions and squamous cell carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 110(1):37-42, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18433848.
- Sabichi AL, Lerner SP, Atkinson EN, Grossman HB, Caraway NP, Dinney CP, Penson DF, Matin S, Kamat A, Pisters LL, Lin DW, Katz RL, Brenner DE, Hemstreet GP, Wargo M, Bleyer A, Sanders WH, Clifford JL, Parnes HL, Lippman SM. Phase III prevention trial of fenretinide in patients with resected non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res 14(1):224-229, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18172274.
- Catrina Reading F, Schlette EJ, Stewart JM, Keating MJ, Katz RL, Caraway NP. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy findings in patients with small lymphocytic lymphoma transformed to hodgkin lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 128(4):571-578, 2007. PMID: 17875507.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Payne L, Kamat AM, Katz RL.. Combination of cytologic evaluation and quantitative digital cytometry is reliable in detecting recurrent disease in patients with urinary diversions. Cancer 111(5):323-9, 2007. PMID: 17721991.
- Fan T, Li R, Todd NW, Qiu Q, Fang HB, Wang H, Shen J, Zhao RY, Caraway NP, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Up-regulation of 14-3-3zeta in lung cancer and its implication as prognostic and therapeutic target. Cancer Res 67(16):7901-7906, 2007. PMID: 17699796.
- Li R, Todd NW, Qiu Q, Fan T, Zhao RY, Rodgers WH, Fang HB, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Genetic deletions in sputum as diagnostic markers for early detection of stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 15(13 (2 Pt 1)):482-7, 2007. PMID: 17255269.
- Li R, Wang H, Bekele BN, Yin Z, Caraway NP, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Identification of putative oncogenes in lung adenocarcinoma by a comprehensive functional genomic approach. Oncogene 25(18):2628-2635, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16369491.
- Goy A, Stewart J, Barkoh, Remache YK, Katz RL, Sneige N, Gilles F.. The feasibility of gene expression profiling generated in fine-needle aspiration specimens from patients with follicular lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer Cytopathol 108/1:10-20, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16329118.
- Riben M, Katz RL.. Fungal fruiting bodies in a Pap smear: contamination or infection?. Acta Cytol 50(1):112-114, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16514853.
- Zaidi T, Katz RL, Caraway N, Jiang F. Novel FISH test in sputum has high predictive value for presence of lung cancer and correlates with FISH abnormalities in primary tumor: A case-control study of 86 patients. Cancer Cytopathology 108(5):411-412, 2006.
- Katz RL.. Modern approach to lymphoma diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration:restoring respect to a valuable procedure. Cancer 105(6):429-431, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16222689.
- Romaguera JE, Fayad L, Rodriguez MA, Broglio KR, Hagemeister FB, Pro B, McLaughlin P, Younes A, Samaniego F, Goy A, Sarris AH, Dang NH, Wang M, Beasley V, Medeiros LJ, Katz RL, Gagneja H, Samuels BI, Smith TL, Cabanillas FF. High rate of durable remissions after treatment of newly diagnosed aggressive mantle-cell lymphoma with Rituximab plus hyper-CVAD alternating with rituximab plus high-dose methotrexate and cytarabine. J Clin Oncol 23(28):7013-7023, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 16145068.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Bekele BN, Zhang HZ, Khanna A, Wang H, Li R, Fernandez RL, Zaidi TM, Johnston DA, Katz RL. Surfactant protein A gene deletion and prognostics for patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 11(15):5417-24, 2005. PMID: 15605362.
- Wang H, Zhang Z, Li R, Ang KK, Zhang H, Caraway NP, Katz RL, Jiang F.. Overexpression of S100A2 protein as a prognostic marker for patients with stage I non small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer 116(2):285-90, 2005. PMID: 15800916.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Li R, Katz RL.. RNA silencing of S-phase kinase-interacting protein 2 inhibits proliferation and centrosome amplification in lung cancer cells. Oncogene 24(21):3409-18, 2005. PMID: 15735730.
- Liu J, Katz RL, Shin HJ, Johnston DA, Zhang HZ, Caraway NP.. Use of mailed urine specimens in diagnosing urothelial carcinoma by cytology and DNA image analysis. Acta Cytol 49(2):157-62, 2005. PMID: 15839620.
- Barkan GA, Caraway NP, Jiang F, Zaidi TM, Fernandez R, Vaporcyin A, Morice R, Zhou X, Bekele BN, Katz RL.. Comparison of molecular abnormalities in brushings and tumor touch preparations: The potential use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) to identify predictive markers in early-stage lung carcinomas. Cancer 105(1):35-43, 2005. PMID: 15605362.
- Assad L, Resetkova E, Oliveira VL, Sun W, Stewart JM, Katz RL, Caraway NP.. Cytologic features of renal medullary carcinoma. Cancer 105(1):28-34, 2005. PMID: 15593260.
- Caraway NP, Gu J, Lin P, Romaguera JE, Glassman A, Katz RL. The utility of interphase florescence in situ hybridization for the detection of the translocation t(11:14)(q13;q32) in the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma in fine-needle aspiration specimens. Cancer Cytopathology 105:110-118, 2005.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Li R, Katz RL. RNA silencing of S-phase kinase-interacting protein 2 inhibits proliferation and centrosome amplification in lung cancer cells. Oncogene 24:3409-3418, 2005.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Genomic copy number aberration of surfactant protein A (SFTPA) gene in patients with stage I non-small lung cancer. Clinic Cancer Res 11(14), 2005.
- Lin P, Mahdavy M, Zhan F, Zhang HZ, Katz RL, Shaughnessy JD.. Expression of PAX5 in CD20-positive multiple myeloma assessed by immunohistochemistry and oligonucleotide microarray. Mod Pathol 17(10):1217-22, 2004. PMID: 15195108.
- Jiang F, Yin Z, Caraway NP, Li R, Katz RL.. Genomic profiles in stage I primary non small cell lung cancer using comparative genomic hybridization analysis of cDNA microarrays. Neoplasia 6(5):623-35, 2004. PMID: 15548372.
- Goy A, Remache YK, Gu J, Stewart J, Hayes KJ, Gold D, Jiang Y, Barkoh BA, Katz RL, Cabanillas F, Gilles F. Establishment and characterization of a new mantle cell lymphoma cell line M-1. Leuk Lymphoma 45(6):1255-60, 2004. PMID: 15360009.
- Gu J, Huh YO, Jiang F, Caraway NP, Romaguera JE, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RL, Zhang H, Khouri IF, Katz RL.. Evaluation of peripheral blood involvement of mantle cell lymphoma by fluorescence in situ hybridization in comparison with immunophenotypic and morphologic findings. Mod Pathol 17(5):553-60, 2004. PMID: 15001994.
- Choi H, David CL, Katz RL, Podoloff DA.. Case 69: extramedullary hematopoiesis. Radiology 231(1):52-6, 2004. PMID: 14990806.
- Sun W, Caraway NP, Zhang HZ, Khanna A, Payne LG, Katz RL.. Grading follicular lymphoma on fine needle aspiration specimens. Comparison with proliferative index by DNA image analysis and Ki-67 labeling index. Acta Cytol 48(2):119-26, 2004. PMID: 15085740.
- Gu J, Huh YO, Jiang F, Caraway NC, Zaidi TM, Katz RL. Evaluation of peripheral blood involvement of mantle cell lymphoma by fluorescence in situ hybridization in comparison with immunophenotypic and morphologic findings. Mod. Pathol 17:553-560, 2004. PMID: 15001994.
- Khouri IF, Lee MS, Saliba RM, Jun G, Fayad L, Younes A, Pro B, Acholonu S, McLaughlin P, Katz RL, Champlin RE.. Nonablative allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for advanced/recurrent mantle-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 21(23):4407-12, 2003. PMID: 14645431.
- Gong Y, Caraway N, Gu J, Zaidi T, Fernandez R, Sun X, Huh YO, Katz RL.. Evaluation of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization for the t(14;18)(q32;q21) translocation in the diagnosis of follicular lymphoma on fine-needle aspirates: a comparison with flow cytometry immunophenotyping. Cancer 99(6):385-93, 2003. PMID: 14681948.
- Shin HJ, Caraway NP, Katz RL.. Cytomorphologic spectrum of small lymphocytic lymphoma in patients with an accelerated clinical course. Cancer 99(5):293-300, 2003. PMID: 14579296.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Sabichi AL, Zhang HZ, Ruitrok A, Grossman HB, Gu J, Lerner SP, Lippman S, Katz RL.. Centrosomal abnormality is common in and a potential biomarker for bladder cancer. Int J Cancer 106(5):661-5, 2003. PMID: 12866024.
- Shin HJ, Thorson P, Gu J, Katz RL.. Detection of a subset of CD30+ anaplastic large cell lymphoma by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. Diagn Cytopathol 29(2):61-6, 2003. PMID: 12889041.
- Goy A, Ramdas L, Remache YK, Gu J, Fayad L, Hayes KJ, Coombes KR, Barkoh BA, Katz RL, Ford R, Cabanillas F, Gilles F. Establishment and characterization by gene expression profiling of a new diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell line, EJ-1, carrying t(14;18) and t(8;14) translocations. Lab Invest 83(6):913-6, 2003. PMID: 12808126.
- Ruifrok AC, Katz RL, Johnston DA.. Comparison of quantification of histochemical staining by hue-saturation-intensity (HSI) transformation and color-deconvolution. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 11(1):85-91, 2003. PMID: 12610362.
- Ang KK, Berkey BA, Tu X, Zhang HZ, Katz RL, Hammond EH, Fu KK, Milas L. Impact of epidermal growth factor receptor expression on survival and pattern of relapse in patients with advanced head and neck carcinoma. Cancer Res 62(24):7350-6, 2002. PMID: 12499279.
- Sen F, Medeiros LJ, Lu D, Jones D, Lai R, Katz RL, Abruzzo LV. Mantle cell lymphoma involving skin: cutaneous lesions may be the first manifestation of disease and tumors often have blastoid cytologic features. Am J Surg Pathol 26(10):1312-8, 2002. PMID: 12360046.
- Sen S, Zhou H, Zhang RD, Yoon DS, Vakar-Lopez F, Ito S, Jiang F, Johnston D, Grossman HB, Ruifrok AC, Katz RL, Brinkley W, Czerniak B. Amplification/overexpression of a mitotic kinase gene in human bladder cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 94(17):1320-9, 2002. PMID: 12208897.
- Jiang F, Lin F, Price R, Gu J, Medeiros LJ, Zhang HZ, Xie SS, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Rapid detection of IgH/BCL2 rearrangement in follicular lymphoma by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization with bacterial artificial chromosome probes. J Mol Diagn 4(3):144-9, 2002. PMID: 12169675.
- Onciu M, Berrak SG, Medeiros LJ, Katz RL, Huh YO. Discrepancies in the immunophenotype of lymphoma cells in samples obtained simultaneously from different anatomic sites. Am J Clin Pathol 117(4):644-50, 2002. PMID: 11939741.
- Körbling M, Katz RL, Khanna A, Ruifrok AC, Rondon G, Albitar M, Champlin RE, Estrov Z. Hepatocytes and epithelial cells of donor origin in recipients of peripheral-blood stem cells. N Engl J Med 346(10):738-46, 2002. PMID: 11882729.
- Jiang F, Katz RL. Use of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization as a powerful diagnostic tool in cytology. Diagn Mol Pathol 11(1):47-57, 2002. PMID: 11854602.
- Krishnamurthy S, Katz RL, Shumate A, Strohlein K, Khanna A, Tucker SL, Raijman I, Lahoti S. DNA image analysis combined with routine cytology improves diagnostic sensitivity of common bile duct brushing. Cancer 93(3):229-35, 2001. PMID: 11391612.
- Rodriguez J, Romaguera JE, Katz RL, Said J, Cabanillas F. Primary effusion lymphoma in an HIV-negative patient with no serologic evidence of Kaposi's sarcoma virus. Leuk Lymphoma 41(1-2):185-9, 2001. PMID: 11342372.
- Hortobagyi GN, Ueno NT, Xia W, Zhang S, Wolf JK, Putnam JB, Weiden PL, Willey JS, Carey M, Branham DL, Payne JY, Tucker SD, Bartholomeusz C, Kilbourn RG, De Jager RL, Sneige N, Katz RL, Anklesaria P, Ibrahim NK, Murray JL, Theriault RL, Valero V, Gershenson DM, Bevers MW, Huang L, Lopez-Berestein G, Hung MC.. Cationic liposome-mediated E1A gene transfer to human breast and ovarian cancer cells and its biologic effects: a phase I clinical trial. J Clin Oncol 19:14, 2001. PMID: 11454891.
- Truong LD, Caraway N, Ngo T, Laucirica R, Katz RL, Ramzy I. Renal lymphoma. The diagnostic and therapeutic roles of fine-needle aspiration. Am J Clin Pathol 115(1):18-31, 2001. PMID: 11190804.
- Katz RL, Caraway NP, Gu J, Jiang F, Pasco-Miller LA, Glassman AB, Luthra R, Hayes KJ, Romaguera JE, Cabanillas FF, Medeiros LJ. Detection of chromosome 11q13 breakpoints by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. A useful ancillary method for the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 114(2):248-57, 2000. PMID: 10941340.
- Pearson AS, Chiao P, Zhang L, Zhang W, Larry L, Katz RL, Evans DB, Abbruzzese JL. The detection of telomerase activity in patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas by fine needle aspiration. Int J Oncol 17(2):381-5, 2000. PMID: 10891550.
- Caraway NP, Du Y, Zhang HZ, Hayes K, Glassman AB, Katz RL. Numeric chromosomal abnormalities in small lymphocytic and transformed large cell lymphomas detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization of fine-needle aspiration biopsies. Cancer 90(2):126-32, 2000. PMID: 10794162.
- Khalil M, Shin HJ, Tan A, DuBose TD, Jr, Ordonez N, Katz RL. Macrophage like vacuolated renal tubular cells in the urine of a male with osmotic nephrosis associated with intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. A case report. Acta Cytol 44(1):86-90, 2000. PMID: 10667167.
- Khanna, Jimenez-Ayala B, Gu J, Caraway NP, Katz RL.. New multiprobe FISH test on urologic specimens is highly sensitive in the diagnosis of urothelial carcinoma. Acta Cytol 44:850, 2000.
- Xia W, Lau YK, Zhang HZ, Xiao FY, Johnston DA, Liu AR, Li L, Katz RL, Hung MC. Combination of EGFR, HER-2/neu, and HER-3 is a stronger predictor for the outcome of oral squamous cell carcinoma than any individual family members. Clin Cancer Res 5(12):4164-74, 1999. PMID: 10632356.
- Gordinier ME, Zhang HZ, Patenia R, Levy LB, Atkinson EN, Nash MA, Katz RL, Platsoucas CD, Freedman RS. Quantitative analysis of transforming growth factor beta 1 and 2 in ovarian carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 5(9):2498-505, 1999. PMID: 10499625.
- Sturgis CD, Caraway NP, Johnston DA, Sherman SI, Kidd L, Katz RL. Image analysis of papillary thyroid carcinoma fine-needle aspirates: significant association between aneuploidy and death from disease. Cancer 87(3):155-60, 1999. PMID: 10385447.
- Hughes JH, Katz RL, Rodriguez-Villanueva J, Kidd L, Dinney C, Grossman HB, Fritsche HA, Jr. Urinary nuclear matrix protein 22 (NMP22): a diagnostic adjunct to urine cytologic examination for the detection of recurrent transitional-cell carcinoma of the bladder. Diagn Cytopathol 20(5):285-90, 1999. PMID: 10319229.
- Dinney CP, Babkowski RC, Antelo M, Perrotte P, Liebert M, Zhang HZ, Palmer J, Veltri RW, Katz RL, Grossman HB. Relationship among cystectomy, microvessel density and prognosis in stage T1 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol 160(4):1285-90, 1998. PMID: 9751337.
- Hughes JH, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Blastic variant of mantle-cell lymphoma: cytomorphologic, immunocytochemical, and molecular genetic features of tissue obtained by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Diagn Cytopathol 19(1):59-62, 1998. PMID: 9664186.
- Shin HJ, Katz RL. Thymic neoplasia as represented by fine needle aspiration biopsy of anterior mediastinal masses. A practical approach to the differential diagnosis. Acta Cytol 42(4):855-64, 1998. PMID: 9684568.
- Al-Khafaji BM, Nestok BR, Katz RL. Fine-needle aspiration of 154 parotid masses with histologic correlation: ten-year experience at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Cancer 84(3):153-9, 1998. PMID: 9678729.
- Perez-Jaffe L, Katz RL, Gupta PK. Entamoeba gingivalis identified in a left upper neck nodule by fine-needle aspiration: a case report. Diagn Cytopathol 18(6):458-61, 1998. PMID: 9626522.
- Hughes JH, Katz RL, Fonseca GA, Cabanillas FF. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of mediastinal non-Hodgkin's nonlymphoblastic lymphoma. Cancer 84(1):26-35, 1998. PMID: 9500649.
- Kagan J, Liu J, Stein JD, Wagner SS, Babkowski R, Grossman BH, Katz RL. Cluster of allele losses within a 2.5 cM region of chromosome 10 in high-grade invasive bladder cancer. Oncogene 16(7):909-13, 1998. PMID: 9484782.
- Katz RL, Sinkre PA, Zhang HH, Kidd L, Johnston D. Clinical significance of negative and equivocal urinary bladder cytology alone and in combination with DNA image analysis and cystoscopy. Cancer 81(6):354-64, 1997. PMID: 9438461.
- Caraway NP, Wojcik EM, Saboorian HM, Katz RL. Concomitant lymphoma and metastatic carcinoma in a lymph node: diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration biopsy in two cases. Diagn Cytopathol 17(4):287-91, 1997. PMID: 9316785.
- Macey DJ, Grant EJ, Kasi L, Rosenblum MG, Zhang HZ, Katz RL, Rieger PT, LeBherz D, South M, Greiner JW, Schlom J, Podoloff DA, Murray JL. Effect of recombinant alpha-interferon on pharmacokinetics, biodistribution, toxicity, and efficacy of 131I-labeled monoclonal antibody CC49 in breast cancer: a phase II trial. Clin Cancer Res 3(9):1547-55, 1997. PMID: 9815842.
- Auger M, Katz RL, Johnston DA. Differentiating cytological features of bronchioloalveolar carcinoma from adenocarcinoma of the lung in fine-needle aspirations: a statistical analysis of 27 cases. Diagn Cytopathol 16(3):253-7, 1997. PMID: 9099548.
- Xia W, Lau YK, Zhang HZ, Liu AR, Li L, Kiyokawa N, Clayman GL, Katz RL, Hung MC. Strong correlation between c-erbB-2 overexpression and overall survival of patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 3(1):3-9, 1997. PMID: 9815530.
- Katz RL. Overlooking malignant lymphoma on FNA. A diagnostic pitfall. Pathology Case Reviews, 1996. e-Pub 1996.
- Hachem R, Raad I, Rolston KV, Whimbey E, Katz RL, Tarrand J, Libshitz H. Cutaneous and pulmonary infections caused by Mycobacterium vaccae. Clin Infect Dis 23(1):173-5, 1996. PMID: 8816149.
- de la Roza GL, Hopkovitz A, Caraway NP, Kidd L, Dinney CP, Johnston D, Katz RL. DNA image analysis of urinary cytology: prediction of recurrent transitional cell carcinoma. Mod Pathol 9(5):571-8, 1996. PMID: 8733774.
- Evans DB, Frazier ML, Charnsangavej C, Katz RL, Larry L, Abbruzzese JL. Molecular diagnosis of exocrine pancreatic cancer using a percutaneous technique. Ann Surg Oncol 3(3):241-6, 1996. PMID: 8726178.
- Guidozzi F, Szumel RC, Ball JH, Johnston DA, Katz RL, Kidd L. Image analysis of cellular DNA content in peritoneal fluid of patients with ovarian tumors of low malignant potential and invasive epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 61(2):204-9, 1996. PMID: 8626133.
- Sara, Katz RL, Sahin AA, Holmes F, Frye DK, Hortobagyi GN. P-glycoprotein expression and response to chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer: An immunocytochemical comparative analysis of pretreatment cytology and post treatment histology materials. Breast Disease 9:317-326, 1996.
- Murray JL, Macey DJ, Grant EJ, Rosenblum MG, Kasi LP, Zhang HZ, Katz RL, Riger PT, LeBherz D, Bhadkamkar V, et al. Enhanced TAG-72 expression and tumor uptake of radiolabeled monoclonal antibody CC49 in metastatic breast cancer patients following alpha-interferon treatment. Cancer Res 55(23 Suppl):5925s-5928s, 1995. PMID: 7493372.
- North L, Katz RL, Carrasco H, Wallace S. What is the role of fine needle biopsy in the diagnosis of lymphoma?. Am J Roentgenology 165:1299, 1995. PMID: 7572526.
- Fernández MI, Parikh S, Grossman HB, Katz RL, Matin SF, Dinney CP, Kamat AM. The role of FISH and cytology in upper urinary tract surveillance after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer. Urol Oncol. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21396845.
- Vigil CE, Wang SA, Cortes JE, Bueso-Ramos C, Verstovsek S, Shinder R, Chen SS, Katz RL, Khanna A, Esmaeli B, Manning JT, You MJ, Miranda RN. Dasatinib-responsive mast cell neoplasms as initial presentation of chronic myelogenous leukemia in blast phase. J Clin Oncol 29(17):514-16. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21464405.
- Loghin M, Melhem-Bertrandt A, Penas-Prado M, Zaidi T, Katz RL. HER2 Targeted Therapies and Leptomeningeal Disease. Neuro-Oncol; Abstracts from the 4th Quadrennial Meeting of WFNO held in conjunction with 18th Annual Meeting of Society for Neuro Oncology in San Francisco CA from Nov 16-19, 2013 15(Suppl 3), 2013.
- Roy Chowdhuri S, Zaidi TM, Khanna A, Jiang F, Spitz MR, Vaporciyan AA, Roth JA, Ensor J, Katz RL. Deletion of 3p22.1 by FISH in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is significantly correlated with loss of β-catenin membrane expression and dysregulated cell adhesion. AACR Poster Session April 7th in Washington DC, 2013.
- Salina D, Zaidi TM, Katz RL. FNA Immediate Assessment of Tumor Infiltrating Neutrophils in Renal Cell Carcinoma as a Poor Prognostic Predictor. Presented as a late breaking abstract at the AACR Conference in Washington DC, April, 2013.
- Abouharb S, Ensor J, Loghin ME, Katz RL, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Esteva FJ, Moulder SL, Valero V, Hortobagyi GN, Melhem-Bertrandt A. Leptomeningeal disease and breast cancer: Relationship of outcome and subtype; 2013 ASCO Annual Meeting. ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, May 31-June 4, 2013:Suppl, 2013.
- Guo M, Dhillon J, Khanna A, Katz R, Gong Y, Staerkel G.. Cervista HPV HR and HPV16/18 Assays in Head and Neck FNA Specimens, a Valid Option of HPV Testing, Compared with HPV In Situ Hybridization/p16 Immunostaining Assays in Tissue Specimens from Patients with Oropharyngeal Carcinoma. Poster Presentation at the 60th annual Scientific Meeting American Society of Cytopathology, Las Vegas, NV 1(1 Suppl):S71, 2012.
- Eskue K, Khanna A, Landon G, Fernandea C. Katz R, Caraway N.. Utility of the Multicolor Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Analysis in Evaluating Upper Urinary Tract Specimens. Poster Presentation at the 60th Annual Scientific Meeting, American Society of Cytopathology, Las Vegas, NV 1(1 Suppl), 2012.
- Watanabe Y, Jayachandran G, Xu K, Chen Y, Katz R, Roth JA, Ji L. Genomic Abnormality and Genetic Alterations of a Novel ZMIZI Gene at Human Chromosome 10q22.3 in Oncogenesis and Prognosis. Presented at the AARC 101st Annual Meeting 2010, 2010. e-Pub 2010.
- Wismach M, Xu K, Chen Y, Katz R, Girard L, Minna JD, Roth JA, Ji L. Amplification of the TFAP2B Gene and Upregulation of its Gene Products Promote Human Bronchial Epithelial Cell (HBEC) Transformation and Carcinogenesis. Presented at the AACR 101st Annual Meeting 2010, 2010.
- L Bubendorf, NP Caraway, AH Fischer,Katz RL .. Ancillary Studies in Urinary Cytology. In: Springer International Publishing - Markers and diagnostic assays have been developed to overcome limitations of urinary cytology and improve the timely detection of urothelial Carcinoma (UC), 2016.
- Katz RL, Krishnamurthy S.. Kidneys, Adrenals and Retroperitoneum. In: Comprehensive Cytopathology, 4th Ed(s). W.B. Saunders Company: Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Caraway NP, Katz RL. Ancillary Studies. In: The Paris System for Reporting Urinary Cytology - Diagnostic categories. Springer, 2014.
- Katz RL. An American Doctor's View. In: The Little Book for big Worries Dealing with Serious Illness, 130-146, 2012.
- Katz RL, Krishnamurthy S.. Kidneys, Adrenals, and Retroperitoneum. In: Comprehensive Cytopathology, 3rd. Ed(s). Bibbo M. W.B. Saunders Company: Philadelphia, PA, 2008.
|Funding Source:||MDACC/AstraZeneca Research II Collaboration Alliance|
|Title:||AstraZeneca Research Collaboration Alliance|
|Funding Source:||MDACC/AstraZeneca Research Collaboration Alliance|
|Funding Source:||FAMRI (Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute) Clinical Investigators Grant:|
|Title:||Molecular Epidemiology of Lung Cancer: Comparison of Surrogate and Target Tissue Markers|