About Dr. Oates
Scott D Oates, MD is a Professor of Plastic Surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He completed his general surgery training at Northwestern University, and his plastic surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. He received advanced training in hand surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. He is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, and has the Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery, both issued by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Oates is the Surgery Reimbursement Advisor. His duties include reviewing current coding practices, and developing coding and billing strategies among multiple departments to optimize reimbursement for the Division of Surgery.
He is a current member of the AMA/Specialty Society Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC), and former chair of the ASPS Payment Policy Committee, both of which involve development and refinement of CPT codes for plastic surgeons (through the ASPS) and other medical specialties nationally (through the AMA RUC).
Dr. Oates has lectured locally and nationally on a broad range of plastic and reconstructive surgery topics. He has authored multiple peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
Deputy Department Chair, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1989||Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1984||Duke University, Durham, NC, USA, BS, Zoology|
|1995-1996||Fellow, Hand and Microsurgery Fellowship Program, Medical College of Wisconsin combined Plastic Surgery/Orthopedic Program, Milwaukee, WI|
|1993-1995||Resident, Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston,, TX|
|1989-1993||Resident, General Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL|
|2000||Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery|
|1999||Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery|
|1990||Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners|
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2011
Surgery Reimbursement Advisor, Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Clinical Revenue Cycle Committee, 2010 - Present
Member, PRS Budget & Finance Committee, 2010 - Present
|1984||Magna Cum Laude, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina|
- Carter SA, Lyons GR, Kuerer HM, Bassett RL, Oates S, Thompson A, Caudle AS, Mittendorf EA, Bedrosian I, Lucci A, DeSnyder SM, Babiera G, Yi M, Baumann DP, Clemens MW, Garvey PB, Hunt KK, Hwang RF. Operative and Oncologic Outcomes in 9,861 Patients with Operable Breast Cancer: Single-Institution Analysis of Breast Conservation with Oncoplastic Reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol 23(10):3190-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27406093.
- Abraham J, Clemens MW, Oates S. Aggressive Metastatic Chordoma in the Wrist. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2(11):2:e245; doi:10.1097/GOX.0000000000000218, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25506528.
- Chang DW, Fortin AJ, Oates SD, Lewis VO. Reconstruction of the Pelvic Ring with Vascularized Double-Strut Fibular Flap Following Internal Hemipelvectomy. Plast Reconstr Surg 121(6):1193-2000, 2008. PMID: 18520887.
- Heller L, Ballo MT, Cormier JN, Oates SD, Butler CE. Staged Reconstruction for Rection Wounds in Sarcoma Patients Treated with Brachytherapy. Annals of Plastic Surgery 60(1):58-63, 2008.
- Clemens MW, Chang EI, Oates S, Chang DW. 10 Year Experience of Composite Trunk and Extremity Reconstruction with Vascularized Fibula Flap. Poster. American Association of Plastic Surgeons 90th Annual Meeting Program Book:78-79, 2011.
- Gilbert N, Lin P, Oates SD, Cannon C, Lewis V, Yasko A. Outcome Following Allograft Prosthetic Composite Reconstruction of the Proximal Tibia. 14th International Symposium on Limb Salvage, Hamburg, Germany, 2007.
- Gilbert N, Lin P, Oates SD, Cannon C, Lewis V, Yasko A. Favorable Outcome Following Allograft Prosthetic Composite Reconstruction of the Proximal Tibia. Musculoskeletal Tumor Society 2007 Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, 2007.
- Kuerer H.. Kuerer's Breast Surgical Oncology. In: Free TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction Instructional Video. McGraw-HIll Companies, Inc: New York, 2010.