About Dr. Chi
Dr. Chi has been a faculty at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center since 2004. She subspecializes in the interpretation of radiological studies for patients with neuro-oncological problems. During her tenure at MDACC, she distinguished herself as a superb diagnostician, and an avid advocate for patient safety. Specifically, she has developed imaging protocols that improve significantly the diagnostic yield of MRI in orbital imaging. In addition, Dr. Chi has embarked on several valuable research initiatives that are on the cutting edge of linking imaging characteristics with cancer genotype in patients with brain tumors.
Her recent work in the area of image quality in patients undergoing MRI with sedation has unveiled concerning issues that are now being widely acknowledged to exist at several other institutions. These problems have potential consequences for the quality of the clinical practice, patient satisfaction, and economic impact, Dr. Chi will lead a multi-institutional collaborative effort to address these issues.
Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Advanced brain tumor imaging and orbital imaging; vascular diseases; MR and CT imaging quality improvement.
Brain, spine and orbital imaging.
|1979||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1976||Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA, BA, Natural Sciences|
|1995||American Board of Radiology Certificate of Added Qualification on Neuroradiology|
|1986||American Board of Radiology|
|1983||American Board of Internal Medicine|
- Cachia D, Kamiya-Matsuoka C, Pinnix CC, Chi L, Kantarjian HM, Cortes JE, Daver N, Woodman K. Myelopathy following intrathecal chemotherapy in adults: a single institution experience. J Neurooncol 122(2):391-8, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25666482.
- Boxerman JL, Zhang Z, Safriel Y, Larvie M, Snyder BS, Jain R, Chi TL, Sorensen AG, Gilbert MR, Barboriak DP. Early post-bevacizumab progression on contrast-enhanced MRI as a prognostic marker for overall survival in recurrent glioblastoma: results from the ACRIN 6677/RTOG 0625 central reader study. Neuro Oncol 15(7):945-54, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23788270.
- Debnam JM, Chi TL, Ketonen L, Mahfouz YM, Guha-Thakurta N. Co-registration of sequential multidetector computed tomography studies for the evaluation of surgical instrumentation following resection of spinal tumors. Case Rep Radiol 2011(Article ID 676410):676410, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22606553.
- Ferson D, Chi TL, Jackson EF, Meyers CA, Mahanakali S, Wefel JS, Sawaya R. Correlation of preoperative functional MR imaging with intraoperative speech mapping in a trilingual patient. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 18(4):275-276, 2006.
- Demchuk AM, Morgenstern LB, Krieger DW, Linda Chi T, Hu W, Wein TH, Hardy RJ, Grotta JC, Buchan AM. Serum glucose level and diabetes predict tissue plasminogen activator-related intracerebral hemorrhage in acute Ischemic stroke. Stroke 30(1):34-39, 1999. PMID: 9880385.
- Wu HM, Lee AG, Lehane DE, Chi TL, Lewis RA. Ocular and orbital complications of intra-arterial cisplatin. A case report. J Neuroophthalmol 17(3):195-198, 1997. PMID: 9304534.
- Kantrowitz AB, Spallone A, Taylor W, Chi TL, Strack M, Feghali JG. Erythropoietin-augmented isovolemic hemodilution in skull-base surgery case report. J Neurosurg 80(4):740-744, 1994. PMID: 8151356.
- Housepian EM, Chi TL. Neurofibromatosis and optic pathways gliomas. J Neurooncol 15(1):51-55, 1993. PMID: 8455063.
- Van Coster R, Lombres A, De Vivo DC, Chi TL, Dodson WE, Rothman S, Orrechio EJ, Grover W, Berry GT, Schwartz JF. Cytochrome C Oxidase-associated Leigh syndrome: phenotypic features and pathogenetic speculations. J Neurol Sci 104(1):97-111, 1991. PMID: 1655984.
- Medina L, Chi TL, DeVivo DC, Hilal SK. MR findings in patients with subacute necrotizing encephalomyelopathy (Leigh syndrome): correlation with biochemical defect. AJR Am J Roentgenol 154(6):1269-1274, 1990. PMID: 2159689.
- Medina L, Chi TL, DeVivo DC, Hilal SK. MR findings in patients with subacute necrotizing encephalomyelopathy (Leigh syndrome): correlation with biochemical defect. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 11(2):379-384, 1990. PMID: 2156413.
- McDonald TD, Tatemichi TK, Kranzler LS, Chi TL, Mohr JP. Thrombosis of the superior sagittal sinus associated with essential thrombocytosis followed by MRI during anticoagulant therapy. Neurology 39(11):1554, 1989.
- Chi TL, Krovetz LJ. The pulmonary vascular bed in children with Down syndrome. J Pediatrics 86(4):533, 1975.
- Ferson D, Chi TL. Developments in general airway management. Thorac Surg Clin 15(1):39-53, 2005. PMID: 15707345.
- Kim CH, Shah KB, Chi TL, McCutcheon I, Waguespack S. Outlaws in the Saddle: Tumors and Cancer Related Diseases of the Pituitary. Radiological Society of North America 100th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2014.
- Hamilton JD, Hunter J, Chavali L, Kumar V, Shah K, Schellingerhout D, Fuller G, Guillory S, Ison C, Matuschek C, Boelke E, Colen RR, Chi L, Prabhu S, Hayman L, Kumar AJ. Predicting the Spread of Glial Tumors: Insights from “Gliography” of the Cingulate. American Society of Neuroradiology 52nd Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2014.
- Hamilton JD, Guillory S, Chavali L, Kumar V, Ison C, Shah K, Schellingerhout D, Prabhu S, Chi L, Colen RR, Wefel J, Hayman L, Kumar AJ. Insights from the Ventral Premotor Cortex (BA 44): Glial Tumor Spread Pattern Important for Survival and Functional Outcomes. American Society of Neuroradiology 52nd Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2014.
- Suki D, Guha-Thakurta N, Chi L, Ketonen L, Weinberg J, Mayer R, Debnam JM, Wang J. Apparent Diffusion Coefficient and Fractional Aniosotrophy Values of the Lateral Ventricles and Corpus Callosum in Patients with Leptomeningeal Metastatic Disease. American Society of Neuroradiology 51st Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2013.
- Hamilton JD, Hayman LA, Kumar V, Schellingerhout D, Shah K, Chi L, Hunter J, Chavali L, Leeds NE, Prabhu S, Kumar AJ, Naidich TP. Elemental Brain Volumes Derived from Cytoarchitectonics and Crossing White Matter Tracts Are an Independent Predictor of Mortality for Glioma with Improved Understanding of Infiltration. American Society of Neuroradiology 51st Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2013.
- Hamilton JD, Hayman LA, Kumar V, Schellingerhout D, Shah K, Chi L, Hunter J, Chavali L, Leeds NE, Prabhu S, Kumar AJ, Naidich TP. On the Shoulders of Giants: “Elemental Brain Volumes” Derived from Modifications of Prior Parcellation Strategies Help to Explain Glial Tumor Sprea. American Society of Neuroradiology 51st Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2013.
- Hwang KP, Warntjes M, Stafford RJ, Stefan W, Jackson EF, Madewell JE, Hazle JD, Slavens ZW, Chi TL. Quantitive water content assessment using a single-scan multi-parameter mapping technique and spectral processing of a multiple gradient echo acquisition. International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine Proceedings, 2013.
- Youssef AA, Mahfouz YM, Rafaat A, Chi TL. Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumors: Primary Soft Tissue Mass or Primary Bony Mass?. American Society of Head and Neck Neuroradiology 46th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2012.
- Chi TL, Ibraheemi AA, Chang E, Ferson D. Image quality, technical challenges, and economic impact of providing sedation for MRI adult and pediatric patients. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2012.
- Su P, Xue Z, Chi TL, Yang J, Wong ST. Support vector machine (SVM) active learning for automated glioblastoma segmentation. International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging, 2012.
- Chi TL, Al Ibraheemi A, Hou P, and Schiffman JS. Dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging of orbital and anterior visual pathway lesions. American Society of Neuroradiology 50th Annual Meeting Proceedings Book, 2012.
- Paker A, Kamiya-Matsuoka C, Chi TL, Loghin M. Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome In Cancer Patients. American Academy of Neurology 64th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2012.
- Chi TL, Ferson D. Effects of sedation with propofol on the quality of MRI studies of the brain. World Congress of anesthesiologists, 2012.
- Paker AM, Chi TL, Ruiz MC, Loghin ME. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol 29(suppl), 2011.
- Zinner R, Debnam M, Gladish GW, Konda B, Hanneken JM, Stewart DJ, Munden RF, Chi L. Retrospective review of MRIs in lung cancer patients with brain metastases: an assessment of early response. J Clin Oncol 29(suppl), 2011.
- Paker AM, Chi TL, Kamiya-Matsuoka C, Loghin ME. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome in patients with cancer. Society for NeuroOncology 16th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2011.
- Debnam JM, Chi TL, Ketonen L, Mahfouz YMM, Guha-Thakurta N. Co-registration of sequential multidetector computed tomography studies for the evaluation of surgical instrumentation following resection of spinal tumors. American Society of Neuroradiology 48th Annual Meeting Proceedings:276-277, 2010.
- Raghunath A, Flemmons M, Mascal S, Roberts D, Chi TL, Schiffman J. Perineural invasion of head and neck cancers involving the eye. North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society Annual Meeting Proceedings:232, 2009.
- Raghunath A, Chi TL, DeMonte F, Hanna E, Schiffman J. Novel mechanism for rapid vision loss in adenoid cystic carcinoma. North American Skull Base Society 19th Annual Meeting Proceedings 17(1), 2008.
- Ferson D, Chi TL, Zambare S, Brown D. The effectiveness of the LMA supreme in patients with normal and difficult-to-manage airways. Anesthesiology 107, 2007.
- Learned KO, Chi TL, Jackson EF, Hunter GJ. Diffusion-weighted imaging is a cost-effective screening sequence for nonparenchymal pathology. American Society of Neuroradiology 44th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2006.
- Ferson D, Tamm E, Chi TL, Ross L, Arens JF. Comparative anatomical study of supraglottic airways. Anesthesiology 101, 2004.
- Youssef AA, Schiffman, JS, Chi, TL. Optic Nerve/Sheath Involvement in Patients with Hematological Malignancies. European Congress of Radiology Proceedings. e-Pub 2013.
- Chi TL, Mirsky D, Bello JA, Ferson DZ. Airway imaging: principles and practical guide. In: Benumof & Hagberg's Airway Management. 3rd, 2012.
- Chi TL, Mirsky D, Bello JA, Ferson DZ. Radiology of the airway. In: Benumofs Airway Management: Principles and Practice. Elsevier: New York, NY, 22-85, 2007.
- Chi TL, Bello JA. White matter disease. In: Cranial MRI and CT, 3rd edition. McGraw-Hill, Inc: New York, NY, 701-734, 1992.
Books (edited and written)
- Casper DS, Chi TL, Trokel SL. Orbital Disease: Imaging and Analysis. Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc: New York, NY, 1993.