About Dr. Huynh
After finishing my general surgery residency in Canada, I pursued two years of basic science research in vascular biology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham (1998-2000). My focus in the lab was on the development of intimal hyperplasia in vascular bypass grafts. I learned to appreciate the complexity and demands of basic science research. I then moved to Houston and completed my clinical fellowship in vascular surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in July 2000. After my fellowship, I joined the Faculty at the University of Texas Health Science Center as an assistant professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. I returned to Baylor College of Medicine in February 2006 as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery until now. I was named associate program director for vascular residency training program in 2007 at Baylor College. My work focus has been on providing clinical care of patients with vascular disease and interpretation of diagnostic vascular testing.
My primary goal is to provide clinical care to cancer patients and cancer survivors with peripheral vascular disease, including the diagnostic evaluation, and medical, endovascular and operative management. I have an interest in setting up protocols that will allow us to follow cancer patients with venous thromboembolism and arterial thrombosis. I hope to contribute to the understanding of the development of hypercoagulable state in cancer patients and eventually to defeat it!
Chief, Section of Vascular Surgery, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Interventional Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1985||McGill University, Montreal, CAN, MD, Medicine|
|1985||Dawson College, Montreal, CAN, Diploma, Health Sciences|
|1998-2000||Clinical Fellowship, Vascular Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1996-1998||Research Fellowship, Vascular Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1995-1996||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiovascular, Kingston General Hospital, Ontario|
|1990-1995||General Surgery, Queen's University, Kingston|
|2006||The Registered Physician Vascular Interpretation|
|2001||The American Board of Surgery, Vascular Surgery|
|1995||Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada|
|1995||College des Medecins du Quebec|
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2010
Associate Professor, Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2006
|2006||Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston|
|2004||Teaching Award, Chief Residents in General Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston|
|2001||Nomination for Physician of the Year, Memorial Hermann Hospital|
|1998||“Weck” First Prize for Excellence in Basic Science Research, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|1995||Canadian Association of General Surgeons/Merck Frost Resident Award for Teaching Excellence, Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada|
|1994||Award for Excellence in Research Paper by Training Residents in Ontario, Physicians' Services Incorporated Foundation|
|1993||Best Paper by Junior Resident Presentation at William Ersil Memorial Research Day, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario|
|1985||Graduation Honor with Highest Academic Achievement in Health Sciences, Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec|
|1985||Graduation Arts Prize for the "non-Arts" Student with the Highest Average in Arts Subjects, Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec|
- Lin PH, Barshes NR, Albo D, Kougias P, Berger DH, Huynh TT, LeMaire SA, Dardik A, Lee WA, Coselli JS. Concomitant colorectal cancer and abdominal aortic aneurysm: evolution of treatment paradigm in the endovascular era. J Am Coll Surg 206(5):1065-73; discussion 1074-5, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18471757.
- Lin PH, Zhou W, Kougias P, El Sayed HF, Barshes NR, Huynh TT. Factors associated with hypotension and bradycardia after carotid angioplasty and stenting. J Vasc Surg 46(5):846-53; discussion 853-4, 2007. PMID: 17980268.
- Kougias P, Lau D, El Sayed HF, Zhou W, Huynh TT, Lin PH. Determinants of mortality and treatment outcome following surgical interventions for acute mesenteric ischemia. J Vasc Surg 46(3):467-74, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17681712.
- Daniel JC, Huynh TT, Zhou W, Kougias P, El Sayed HF, Huh J, Coselli JS, Lin PH, Lemaire SA. Acute aortic dissection associated with use of cocaine. J Vasc Surg 46(3):427-33, 2007. PMID: 17826227.
- Lin PH, Zhou W, Dardik A, Mussa F, Kougias P, Hedayati N, Naoum JJ, El Sayed H, Peden EK, Huynh TT. Catheter-direct thrombolysis versus pharmacomechanical thrombectomy for treatment of symptomatic lower extremity deep venous thrombosis. Am J Surg 192(6):782-8, 2006. PMID: 17161094.
- He R, Guo DC, Estrera AL, Safi HJ, Huynh TT, Yin Z, Cao SN, Lin J, Kurian T, Buja LM, Geng YJ, Milewicz DM. Characterization of the inflammatory and apoptotic cells in the aortas of patients with ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131(3):671-8, 2006. PMID: 16515922.
- Azizzadeh A, Sanchez LA, Miller CC, Marine L, Rubin BG, Safi HJ, Huynh TT, Parodi JC, Sicard GA. Glomerular filtration rate is a predictor of mortality after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 43(1):14-8, 2006. PMID: 16414381.
- Safi HJ, Estrera AL, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Porat EE, Azizzadeh A, Meada R, Goodrick JS. Evolution of risk for neurologic deficit after descending and thoracoabdominal aortic repair. Ann Thorac Surg 80(6):2173-9; discussion 2179, 2005. PMID: 16305866.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Chen EP, Meada R, Torres RH, Porat EE, Huynh TT, Azizzadeh A, Safi HJ. Descending thoracic aortic aneurysm repair: 12-year experience using distal aortic perfusion and cerebrospinal fluid drainage. Ann Thorac Surg 80(4):1290-6; discussion 1296, 2005. PMID: 16181856.
- Huynh TT, van Eps RG, Miller CC, Villa MA, Estrera AL, Azizzadeh A, Porat EE, Goodrick JS, Safi HJ. Glomerular filtration rate is superior to serum creatinine for prediction of mortality after thoracoabdominal aortic surgery. J Vasc Surg 42(2):206-12, 2005. PMID: 16102615.
- Estrera AL, Garami Z, Miller CC, Sheinbaum R, Huynh TT, Porat EE, Allen BS, Safi HJ. Cerebral monitoring with transcranial Doppler ultrasonography improves neurologic outcome during repairs of acute type A aortic dissection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129(2):277-85, 2005. PMID: 15678036.
- Safi HJ, Miller CC, Estrera AL, Huynh TT, Porat EE, Allen BS, Sheinbaum R. Staged repair of extensive aortic aneurysms: long-term experience with the elephant trunk technique. Ann Surg 240(4):677-84; discussion 684-5, 2004. PMID: 15383795.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Porat E, Mohamed S, Kincade R, Huynh TT, Safi HJ. Determinants of early and late outcome for reoperations of the proximal aorta. Ann Thorac Surg 78(3):837-45; discussion 837-45, 2004. PMID: 15337002.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Azizzadeh A, Porat EE, Vinnerkvist A, Ignacio C, Sheinbaum R, Safi HJ. Preoperative and operative predictors of delayed neurologic deficit following repair of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126(5):1288-94, 2003. PMID: 14665998.
- Estrera AL, Garami Z, Miller CC, Sheinbaum R, Huynh TT, Porat EE, Winnerkvist A, Safi HJ. Determination of cerebral blood flow dynamics during retrograde cerebral perfusion using power M-mode transcranial Doppler. Ann Thorac Surg 76(3):704-9; discussion 709-10, 2003. PMID: 12963182.
- Safi HJ, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Estrera AL, Porat EE, Winnerkvist AN, Allen BS, Hassoun HT, Moore FA. Distal aortic perfusion and cerebrospinal fluid drainage for thoracoabdominal and descending thoracic aortic repair: ten years of organ protection. Ann Surg 238(3):372-80; discussion 380-1, 2003. PMID: 14501503.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Porat EE, Huynh TT, Winnerkvist A, Safi HJ. Staged repair of extensive aortic aneurysms. Ann Thorac Surg 74(5):S1803-5; discussion S1825-32, 2002. PMID: 12440669.
- Peppel K, Zhang L, Huynh TT, Huang X, Jacobson A, Brian L, Exum ST, Hagen PO, Freedman NJ. Overexpression of G protein-coupled receptor kinase-2 in smooth muscle cells reduces neointimal hyperplasia. J Mol Cell Cardiol 34(10):1399-1409, 2002. PMID: 12393000.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Porat EE, Safi HJ. Replacement of the ascending and transverse aortic arch: determinants of long-term survival. Ann Thorac Surg 74(4):1058-64; discussion 1064-5, 2002. PMID: 12400745.
- Huynh TT, Miller CC, Estrera AL, Porat EE, Safi HJ. Thoracoabdominal and descending thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery in patients aged 79 years or older. J Vasc Surg 36(3):469-75, 2002. PMID: 12218969.
- Safi HJ, Miller CC, Estrera AL, Huynh TT, Rubenstein FS, Subramaniam MH, Buja LM. Staged repair of extensive aortic aneurysms: morbidity and mortality in the elephant trunk technique. Circulation 104(24):2938-42, 2001. PMID: 11739309.
- Estrera AL, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Porat E, Safi HJ. Neurologic outcome after thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg 72(4):1225-30; discussion 1230-1, 2001. PMID: 11603441.
- Estrera AL, Rubenstein FS, Miller CC, Huynh TT, Letsou GV, Safi HJ. Descending thoracic aortic aneurysm: surgical approach and treatment using the adjuncts cerebrospinal fluid drainage and distal aortic perfusion. Ann Thorac Surg 72(2):481-6, 2001. PMID: 11515886.
- Byrne RR, Henry GD, Rao DS, Huynh TT, Pippen AM, Annex BH, Hagen PO, Donatucci CF. Vascular endothelial growth factor restores corporeal smooth muscle function in vitro. J Urol 165(4):1310-5, 2001. PMID: 11257707.
- Huynh T, Abraham G, Murray J, Brockbank K, Hagen PO, Sullivan S. Remodeling of an acellular collagen graft into a physiologically responsive neovessel. Nat Biotechnol 17(11):1083-6, 1999. PMID: 10545913.
- Huynh TT, Starr JE. Diseases of the Thoracic Aorta in Women. J Vasc Surg 57(4):11S-7S, 2013. PMID: 23522712.
- Huynh TT, Choi L. Limb Salvage in Women. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 9(2):84-89, 2013. PMID: 23805340.
- Huynh TT, Bechara CF. Hybrid Interventions in Limb Salvage. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 9(2):90-94, 2013. PMID: 23805341.
- Lin PH, Barshes NR, Annambhotla S, Kougias P, Huynh TT. Advances in endovascular interventions for deep vein thrombosis. Expert Rev Med Devices 5(2):153-66, 2008. PMID: 18331178.
- Huynh TT, Peden EK, Anaya-Ayala JE, Davies MG, Noaum JJ. Volume Flow Reduction Using Distal Inflow Provides Excellent Intermediate Outcome for Patients with Autogenous AV Fistula and Dialysis Access Steal Syndrome. 40th Annual Symposium Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, 2012.
- Huynh TTT, Ahrar K. Successful Revascularization Using Self-Expandable Covered Stents Without Adjunct Thrombolysis In Oncologic Patients with Acute Limb-Threatening Ischemia Due to Illiac Artery Thromboembolism. Southwestern Surgical Congress 2012 Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Huynh TTT, Ochoa LN, Duffy PE. Staged transposition improves outcome of autogenous basilic AV fistula in children. VASA Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2010.
- Huynh TTT, Beadle T, Kougias P, Duffy PE. Urgent surgical revascularization can rescue renal function in anuric patients with bilateral renal artery occlusion. SWSC 2010 Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona, 2010.
- Beadle T, Huynh TTT, Kougias, P. Renal Artery Bypass Can Rescue Renal Function in Anuric Patients with Bilateral Renal Artery Occlusion. Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society Winter Meeting, Vail, CO, 2010.
- Huynh TTT, Peden EK, Comeaux G, Dong Y-L, Lin PH, Kougias. Regional Nerve Block Is The Anesthesia of Choice For Vascular Access Surgery In The Upper Extremity. American College of Surgeons 94th Annual Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, 2008.
- Huynh TTT, Peden EK, Comeaux G, Weakley S, Dong Y-L Strietman A, Lin PH, Kougias P, El-Sayed H, Naoum J. Regional Anesthesia For Vascular Access Surgery Minimizes Hemodynamic Disturbances and Shortens Procedure Time. SWSC 60th Annual Meeting, Acapulco, Mexico, 2008.
- Bismuth J, Cheng C, Peden EK, Lin PH, Lumsden AB, Huynh TTT. The cryopreserved femoral artery homograft should be considered in patients with critical lower limb ischemia and no suitable autogenous vein grafts. Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 35th Annual Symposium, Orlando, FL, 2007.
- Cheng C, Bismuth J, Huynh TTT. Infragenicular Revascularization for Critical Limb Ischemia Using Cryopreserved Femoral Artery Homograft in Patients with No Suitable Autogenous Vein Conduit. American College of Surgeons South Texas Chapter Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, 2007.
- Hedayati N, Huynh TTT, Garami Z, Lin PH. Advanced Therapy In Endovascular Interventions. In: Carotid Artery Disease: Natural History and Diagnosis. BC Decker Inc, 2008.
- Lin PH, Huynh TTT, Peden EK. Should endovascular repair be considered the standard of treatment in traumatic thoracic aortic injury?. In: Advanced Endovascular Therapy of Aortic Disease. Blackwell Publishing, 2008.