About Dr. Huynh
After finishing my general surgery residency in Canada, I pursued two years of basic science research in vascular biology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham (1998-2000). My focus in the lab was on the development of intimal hyperplasia in vascular bypass grafts. I learned to appreciate the complexity and demands of basic science research. I then moved to Houston and completed my clinical fellowship in vascular surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in July 2000. After my fellowship, I joined the Faculty at the University of Texas Health Science Center as an assistant professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. I returned to Baylor College of Medicine in February 2006 as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery until now. I was named associate program director for vascular residency training program in 2007 at Baylor College. My work focus has been on providing clinical care of patients with vascular disease and interpretation of diagnostic vascular testing.
My primary goal is to provide clinical care to cancer patients and cancer survivors with peripheral vascular disease, including the diagnostic evaluation, and medical, endovascular and operative management. I have an interest in setting up protocols that will allow us to follow cancer patients with venous thromboembolism and arterial thrombosis. I hope to contribute to the understanding of the development of hypercoagulable state in cancer patients and eventually to defeat it!
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Chief, Section of Vascular Surgery, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Interventional Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1985||McGill University, Montreal, CAN, MD, Medicine|
|1985||Dawson College, Montreal, CAN, Diploma, Health Sciences|
|1998-2000||Clinical Fellowship, Vascular Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1996-1998||Research Fellowship, Vascular Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1995-1996||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiovascular, Kingston General Hospital, Ontario|
|1990-1995||General Surgery, Queen's University, Kingston|
|2006||The Registered Physician Vascular Interpretation|
|2001||The American Board of Surgery, Vascular Surgery|
|1995||Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada|
|1995||College des Medecins du Quebec|
Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2010
Associate Professor, Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2006
|2006||Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston|
|2004||Teaching Award, Chief Residents in General Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston|
|2001||Nomination for Physician of the Year, Memorial Hermann Hospital|
|1998||“Weck” First Prize for Excellence in Basic Science Research, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|1995||Canadian Association of General Surgeons/Merck Frost Resident Award for Teaching Excellence, Queen’s University, Ontario, Canada|
|1994||Award for Excellence in Research Paper by Training Residents in Ontario, Physicians' Services Incorporated Foundation|
|1993||Best Paper by Junior Resident Presentation at William Ersil Memorial Research Day, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario|
|1985||Graduation Honor with Highest Academic Achievement in Health Sciences, Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec|
|1985||Graduation Arts Prize for the "non-Arts" Student with the Highest Average in Arts Subjects, Dawson College, Montreal, Quebec|
- Al Rstum ZA, Huynh TT, Huang SY, Pisimisis GT. Risk of bleeding after ultrasound-guided jugular central venous catheter insertion in severely thrombocytopenic oncologic patients. Am J Surg 217(1):133-137, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30539792.
- Huang SY, Odisio BC, Sabir SH, Ensor JE, Niekamp AS, Huynh TT, Kroll M, Gupta S. Development of a predictive model for 6 month survival in patients with venous thromboembolism and solid malignancy requiring IVC filter placement. J Thromb Thrombolysis 44(1):30-37, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28315167.
- Huynh TT, Broadbent KC, Jacob AD, James S, Erasmus JJ. Screening for carotid artery stenosis. Semin Roentgenol 50(2):127-38, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25770343.
- Sorensen J, Wilks SA, Jacob AD, Huynh TT. Screening for peripheral artery disease. Semin Roentgenol 50(2):139-47, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25770344.
- Jacob AD, Barkley PL, Broadbent KC, Huynh TT. Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening. Semin Roentgenol 50(2):118-26, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25770342.
- Pham JD, Huang SY, Sabir SH, Huynh T, Wallace MJ. Celect filter penetration of aorta and lumbar artery. J Vasc Interv Radiol 25(3):487-90, 2014. PMID: 24581474.
- Li R, Duplisea JJ, Petros FG, González GMN, Tu SM, Karam JA, Huynh TT, Ward JF. Robotic Postchemotherapy Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection for Testicular Cancer. Eur Urol Oncol. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31412007.
- Mouhayar E, Tayar J, Fasulo M, Aoun R, Massey M, Abi-Aad S, Iliescu C, Ahrar K, Huynh T. Outcome of acute limb ischemia in cancer patients. Vasc Med 19(2):112-117. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24532704.
- Partovi S, Trischman T, Sheth RA, Huynh TTT, Davidson JC, Prabhakar AM, Ganguli S. Imaging work-up and endovascular treatment options for aorto-enteric fistula. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 8(Suppl 1):S200-S207, 2018. PMID: 29850432.
- Sheth RA, Freed R, Tavri S, Huynh TT, Irani Z. Nonmaturing Fistulae:Epidemiology, Possible Interventions, and Outcomes. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 20(1):31-37, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28279407.
- Huynh TT, Starr JE. Diseases of the Thoracic Aorta in Women. J Vasc Surg 57(4):11S-7S, 2013. PMID: 23522712.
- Huynh TT, Choi L. Limb Salvage in Women. Methodist De Bakey Cardiovasc J 9(2):84-89, 2013. PMID: 23805340.
- Huynh TT, Bechara CF. Hybrid Interventions in Limb Salvage. Methodist De Bakey Cardiovasc J 9(2):90-94, 2013. PMID: 23805341.
- Lin PH, Barshes NR, Annambhotla S, Kougias P, Huynh TT. Advances in endovascular interventions for deep vein thrombosis. Expert Rev Med Devices 5(2):153-66, 2008. PMID: 18331178.
- Al Rstum Z, Huynh TTT, Huang SY, Pisimisis GT. Ultrasound-Guided Jugular Central Venous Catheter Insertion In Severely Thrombocytopenic Cancer Patients Is Safe With Or Without Platelet Transfusion. 69th Annual Meeting Southwestern Surgical Congress, 2017.
- Huynh TTT, Huang SY, Mehran RJ, Ahrar K. Multidisciplinary Care Includes Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repari (EVAR) for Cancer Patients and Survivors in Tertiary Referral Cancer Center. 42nd Annual Symposium on Vascular Surgery, 2014.
- Huynh TTT Huang SY, Ahrar J, Mehran RJ, Ahrar K. Contemporary Management of Radiation-Induced Ilio-Femoral Arterial Occlusive Disease in Cancer Survivors. 42nd Annual Symposium on Vascular Surgery, 2014.
- Huynh TTT, Wilks S, Barkley P, Sabir SH, Huang SY, Ahrar J, Mehran RJ, Ahrar K. Contemporary Management of Radiation-Induced Ilio-Femoral Arterial Occlusive Disease on Cancer Survivors. 2nd Annual Cancer Survivorship Research Symposium, 2014.
- Huynh TT, Peden EK, Anaya-Ayala JE, Davies MG, Noaum JJ. Volume Flow Reduction Using Distal Inflow Provides Excellent Intermediate Outcome for Patients with Autogenous AV Fistula and Dialysis Access Steal Syndrome. 40th Annual Symposium Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, 2012.
- Huynh TTT, Ahrar K. Successful Revascularization Using Self-Expandable Covered Stents Without Adjunct Thrombolysis In Oncologic Patients with Acute Limb-Threatening Ischemia Due to Illiac Artery Thromboembolism. Southwestern Surgical Congress 2012 Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Huynh TTT, Ochoa LN, Duffy PE. Staged transposition improves outcome of autogenous basilic AV fistula in children. VASA Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2010.
- Huynh TTT, Beadle T, Kougias P, Duffy PE. Urgent surgical revascularization can rescue renal function in anuric patients with bilateral renal artery occlusion. SWSC 2010 Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona, 2010.
- Beadle T, Huynh TTT, Kougias, P. Renal Artery Bypass Can Rescue Renal Function in Anuric Patients with Bilateral Renal Artery Occlusion. Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society Winter Meeting, Vail, CO, 2010.
- Huynh TTT, Peden EK, Comeaux G, Dong Y-L, Lin PH, Kougias. Regional Nerve Block Is The Anesthesia of Choice For Vascular Access Surgery In The Upper Extremity. American College of Surgeons 94th Annual Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, 2008.
- Huynh TTT, Peden EK, Comeaux G, Weakley S, Dong Y-L Strietman A, Lin PH, Kougias P, El-Sayed H, Naoum J. Regional Anesthesia For Vascular Access Surgery Minimizes Hemodynamic Disturbances and Shortens Procedure Time. SWSC 60th Annual Meeting, Acapulco, Mexico, 2008.
- Bismuth J, Cheng C, Peden EK, Lin PH, Lumsden AB, Huynh TTT. The cryopreserved femoral artery homograft should be considered in patients with critical lower limb ischemia and no suitable autogenous vein grafts. Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 35th Annual Symposium, Orlando, FL, 2007.
- Cheng C, Bismuth J, Huynh TTT. Infragenicular Revascularization for Critical Limb Ischemia Using Cryopreserved Femoral Artery Homograft in Patients with No Suitable Autogenous Vein Conduit. American College of Surgeons South Texas Chapter Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, 2007.
- Huynh TT, Pisimisis GT, Broadbent KC, Mehran RJ. Carotid Artery Disease in Cancer Patient. In: Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease - A Concise Clinical Atlas. Springer International Publishing: Cham, Switzerland, 117-134, 2018.
- Huynh TT, Cao HT, Palma SG, Broadbent KC. Arterial Complications in Cancer Patients. In: Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease - A Concise Clinical Atlas. Springer International Publishing: Cham, Switzerland, 93-115, 2018.
- Huynh TT, Pisimisis GT, Antonoff MB, Mehran RJ. Management of Vascular Complications. In: Principles of Gynecologic Oncology Surgery. 1. Elsevier: Philadelphia, 303-317, 2018.
- Erasmus JJ, Marom EM, Huynh TTT, Patz EF. Radiologic Imaging of Thoracic Abnormalities. In: Surgery of the Chest. 9th Ed(s). Sabiston and Spencer, 26-38, 2016.
- Hedayati N, Huynh TTT, Garami Z, Lin PH. Advanced Therapy In Endovascular Interventions. In: Carotid Artery Disease: Natural History and Diagnosis. BC Decker Inc, 2008.
- Lin PH, Huynh TTT, Peden EK. Should endovascular repair be considered the standard of treatment in traumatic thoracic aortic injury?. In: Advanced Endovascular Therapy of Aortic Disease. Blackwell Publishing, 2008.