Instructor, Department of Cancer Systems Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Tumor-immune interactions are now accepted as an important factor relevant for the clinical management of patients with cancer. Strategies to understand these interaction networks between tumor cells and immune cells are therefore critical to ensure successful advances in disease intervention and response. I developed a molecular imaging platform to provide spatially- and temporally-immune cell-cell communication, signaling pathways and biological functions at macro- and micro-scopic resolution in real-time using a combination of bioluminescent and fluorescent intravital imaging. This molecular imaging platform provides a strategy to begin to understand how cells communicate both spatially and temporally in a quantitative manner in a heterogeneous living system in vivo during disease development and therapeutic response.
|2013||University of Toronto, Toronto, CAN, PHD, Medical Biophysics|
|2007||University of British Columbia, Vancouver, CAN, BS, Honours Integrated Sciences|
|2016||Top 5 Award, Division of Diagnostic Imaging Trainee Research Symposium MDACC|
|2014||2nd Place Best Paper Award, Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America|
|2013||Breast Cancer Research Program Highlight, Department of Defense|
|2012||Best PhD Oral Presentation, James Lepock Memorial Symposium|
|2012||Best Student Paper Award, Biomedical Optics Topical Meeting|
|2011||Top Poster Presentation, 5th International Graduate Summer School Biophotonics '11|
|2010||Top Poster Award, Gordon Research Conference: Lasers in Medicine and Biology|
|2009||ESP Fellowship, European Society of Photobiology|
|2009||WMIC Travel Stipend, World Molecular Imaging Congress|
|2008||OCE Travel Award, Ontario Centre of Excellence|
|2006||Undergraduate Scholar Program Scholarship, University of British Columbia|
|2005||Summer Undergraduate Research Scholarship, University of Toronto|
|2004||USRA NSERC Research Award, University of Waterloo|
|2003||USRA NSERC Research Award, University of Alberta|
|2002||Undergraduate Scholar Program Scholarship, University of British Columbia|
|2002||W.H. MacInnes Entrance Scholarship in Latin, University of British Columbia|
- Orteca G, Pisaneschi F, Rubagotti S, Liu TW, Biagiotti G, Piwnica-Worms D, Iori M, Capponi PC, Ferrari E, Asti M. Development of a potential gallium-68 labelled radiotracer based on DOTA-curcumin for colon-rectal carcinoma: from synthesis to in vivo studies. Molecules 24(3):644, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30759785.
- Liu TW, Akens MK, Chen J, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Matrix metalloproteinase-based photodynamic molecular beacons for targeted destruction of bone metastases in vivo. Photochem Photobiol Sci 15(3):375-81, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26880165.
- Liu TW, Chen J, Burgess L, Wilson BC, Zheng G, Zhan L, Liu WK, Ha BY. Activation kinetics of zipper molecular beacons. J Phys Chem B 119(1):44-53, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25474619.
- Moriyama EH, Cao W, Liu TW, Wang HL, Kim PD, Chen J, Zheng G, Wilson BC. Optical glucose analogs of aminolevulinic acid for fluorescence-guided tumor resection and photodynamic therapy. Mol Imaging Biol 16(4):495-503, 2014. PMID: 24323192.
- MacDonald TD, Liu TW, Zheng G. An MRI-sensitive, non-photobleachable porphysome photothermal agent. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 53(27):6956-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24840234.
- Liu TW, Macdonald TD, Jin CS, Gold JM, Bristow RG, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Inherently multimodal nanoparticle-driven tracking and real-time delineation of orthotopic prostate tumors and micrometastases. ACS Nano 7(5):4221-32, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23544841.
- Liu TW, Stewart JM, MacDonald TD, Chen J, Clarke B, Shi J, Wilson BC, Neel BG, Zheng G. Biologically-targeted detection of primary and micro-metastatic ovarian cancer. Theranostics 3(6):420-7, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23781288.
- Liu TW, MacDonald TD, Shi J, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Intrinsically copper-64-labeled organic nanoparticles as radiotracers. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 51(52):13128-31, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23154923.
- Liu TW, Chen J, Zheng G. Peptide-based molecular beacons for cancer imaging and therapy. Amino Acids 41(5):1123-34, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20169374.
- Liu TW, Akens MK, Chen J, Wise-Milestone L, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Imaging of specific activation of photodynamic molecular beacons in breast cancer vertebral metastases. Bioconjug Chem 22(6):1021-30, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21585206.
- Liu TW, Chen J, Burgess L, Cao W, Shi J, Wilson BC, Zheng G. Multimodal bacteriochlorophyll theranostic agent. Theranostics 1:354-62, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21938263.
- Shi J, Liu TW, Chen J, Green D, Jaffray D, Wilson BC, Wang F, Zheng G. Transforming a Targeted Porphyrin Theranostic Agent into a PET Imaging Probe for Cancer. Theranostics 1:363-70, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21938264.
- Lovell JF, Liu TW, Chen J, Zheng G. Activatable photosensitizers for imaging and therapy. Chem Rev 110(5):2839-57, 2010. PMID: 20104890.
- Chen J, Liu TW, Lo PC, Wilson BC, Zheng G. "Zipper" molecular beacons: a generalized strategy to optimize the performance of activatable protease probes. Bioconjug Chem 20(10):1836-42, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19754039.
|Title:||Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells Expressing Myeloperoxidase Directly Inhibit Adaptive Immune Cells Limiting Immunotherapy in Melanoma|
|Funding Source:||Department of Defense (DOD)|
|Title:||CIHR Fellowship - Imaging the Changes in Tumor and Stromal Compartments During Short-term Starvation in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma|
|Funding Source:||Canadian Institutes of Health Research|
|Title:||Myeloid-derived Suppressor Cells Limit Immunotherapy in Melanoma|
|Funding Source:||Harry J. Lloyd Charitable Trust|