Meet V. Craig Jordan, The Father of Tamoxifen
V. Craig Jordan, CMG, OBE, Ph.D., D.Sc., FMedSci
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor of Breast Medical Oncology, Professor of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1973||University of Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, GBR, PHD, Pharmacology|
|1969||University of Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, GBR, BS, Pharmacology|
Honors & Awards
|2019||Reynold Spector Award in Clinical Pharmacology, ASPET|
|2018||Giants of Cancer Care in Translational Scientific Advances, OncLive|
|2018||Gerald D Aurbach Award for Outstanding Translational Research, Endocrine Society|
|2017||Elected Member, National Academy of Medicine|
|2016||Big Four for the Millennium (zur Hausen, Senn, Veronesi, Jordan), German Society of Gynaecology & Obstetrics|
|2015||Sir James Black Award, British Pharmacological Society|
|2014||Selected as one of the 50 Oncology Luminaries, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2011||St. Gallen International Breast Cancer Award|
|2010||Elected President of the Royal Society of Medicine Foundation in North America|
|2009||The Jephcott Medal, Royal Society of Medicine|
|2009||Elected Fellow, Academy of Medical Sciences (UK equivalent of NAM)|
|2009||Elected Member, National Academy of Sciences|
|2008||Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Society of Medicine, Royal Society of Medicine|
|2008||Elected Honorary Member, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain|
|2006||American Cancer Society Award for Chemoprevention, American Society of Clinical Oncology|
|2003||The Charles F. Kettering Prize, General Motors Cancer Research Foundation|
|2003||North American Menopause Society/Eli Lilly SERM Research Award, North American Menopause Society|
|2003||Third George and Christine Sosnovsky Award in Cancer Therapy, Royal Society of Chemistry|
|2002||Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire|
|2002||Inaugural Dorothy P. Landon AACR Prize in Translational Research|
|2001||Bristol Myers Squibb Award, Bristol Myers Squibb|
|2000||Honorary Fellowship Award and medal, Faculty of Medicine of University College, Dublin, Ireland|
|1996||Herbert J. Block Memorial Award for Distinguished Achievement in Cancer, The Ohio State University|
|1993||Gaddum Memorial Award, British Pharmacological Society|
|1993||Cameron Prize for Therapeutics, Edinburgh University Medical School|
|1989||Eighth Bruce F. Cain Memorial Award, American Association for Cancer Research|
- Fan P, Maximov PY, Curpan RF, Abderrahman B, Jordan VC. The molecular, cellular and clinical consequences of targeting the estrogen receptor following estrogen deprivation therapy. Mol Cell Endocrinol. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26052034.
- Murphy CS, Jordan VC. The biological significance of the interaction of estrogen agonists and antagonists with the estrogen receptor. Receptor 1(1-2):65-82, 1990. PMID: 2152373.
- Ravdin PM, Fritz NF, Tormey DC, Jordan VC. Endocrine status of premenopausal node-positive breast cancer patients following adjuvant chemotherapy and long-term tamoxifen. Cancer Res 48(4):1026-9, 1988. PMID: 3123050.
- Jordan VC, Robinson SP. Species-specific pharmacology of antiestrogens: role of metabolism. Fed Proc 46(5):1870-4, 1987. PMID: 3556610.
- Tormey DC, Jordan VC. Long-term tamoxifen adjuvant therapy in node-positive breast cancer: a metabolic and pilot clinical study. Breast Cancer Res Treat 4(4):297-302, 1984. PMID: 6394068.
- Jordan VC, Allen KE. Evaluation of the antitumour activity of the non-steroidal antioestrogen monohydroxytamoxifen in the DMBA-induced rat mammary carcinoma model. Eur J Cancer 16(2):239-51, 1980. PMID: 6768559.
- Jordan VC. Prolonged antioestrogenic activity of ICI 46, 474 in the ovariectomized mouse. J Reprod Fertil 42(2):251-8, 1975. PMID: 163905.
- Jordan VC, Koerner S. Inhibition of oestradiol binding to mouse uterine and vaginal oestrogen receptors by triphenylethylenes. J Endocrinol 64(1):193-4, 1975. PMID: 163879.
- Clark ER, Evans JG, Jordan VC. Anti-oestrogenic activity in compounds related to ethamoxytriphetol (MER 25), clomiphene and MRL 37. Br J Pharmacol 48(2):345P, 1973. PMID: 4733745.
- Jordan VC, Curpan R, Maximov PY. Estrogen receptor mutations found in breast cancer metastases integrated with the molecular pharmacology of selective ER modulators. J Natl Cancer Inst 107(6), 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25838462.
- Jordan VC. The new biology of estrogen-induced apoptosis applied to treat and prevent breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 22(1):R1-31, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25339261.
- Fan P, Cunliffe HE, Maxmov PY, Agboke, FA, McDaniel RE, Zou X, Ramos P, Russel ML, Jordan VC. Integration of downstream signals of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor by endoplamic reticulum stress for estrogen-induced growth or apoptosis in breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res 13(10):1367-76, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26116171.
- Fan P, Maximov PY, Curpan RF, Abderrahman B, Jordan VC. The molecular, cellular and clinical consequences of targeting the estrgen receptor following estrogen deprivation therapy. Mol Cell Endocrinol 418(3):245-63, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26052034.
Letters to the Editor
- Jordan VC, Maximov PY, Fan P. Progesterone and synthetic progestin controversies. JAMA Oncol 1: 986-7, 2015.