About Dr. Erwin
William Daniel Erwin, M.S., has been a Senior Medical Physicist in the Department of Imaging Physics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center since 2002; and an Associate Faculty Member of The University of Texas MD Anderson UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences since 2006.
He received his Bachelor of Science in Physics from Northern Illinois University (1979) and his Master of Science in Nuclear Physics from DePaul University (1991). Prior to coming to MD Anderson, he was a Junior Research Scientist at Siemens Gammasonics, Des Plaines, IL (1980-83); Nuclear Medicine Physicist at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, Chicago, IL (1983-1990); Senior Research Scientist at Siemens Medical Systems, Hoffman Estates, IL (1990-1997); and Nuclear Medicine Physicist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL (1997-2001).
Mr. Erwin has been authored or co-authored 52 nuclear medicine and medical physics-related peer-reviewed scientific journal articles, 93 scientific meeting abstracts and 6 book chapters. Since 2003, he has been a reviewer or associate editor at various times for eight different medical physics-related journals. He has presented over 20 invited lectures on various nuclear medicine physics topics. He was an Instructor in the Department of Medical Physics at Rush University, Chicago, IL (1986-1990), teaching Nuclear Medicine and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Physics; and is currently an instructor in four UTHSC-H GSBS MPP courses.
Mr. Erwin is currently a collaborator on four internal radiopharmaceutical dosimetry-related grants (1 NIH and 3 Sponsored), with several more in the pipeline.
Senior Medical Physicist, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Faculty Member, Graduate Program in Medical Physics, The University of Texas MD Anderson UT Health Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
The development of quantitative radionuclide imaging and radionuclide dosimetry techniques for treatment planning of therapy with internally administered radionuclides.
Gamma camera planar, SPECT/CT, PET/CT and DXA BMD imaging instrumentation, Nuclear Medicine hot lab instrumentation, Internal radiopharmaceutical dosimetry and treatment planning, and Nuclear Medicine radiation safety and protection.
|1991||DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA, MS, Nuclear Physics|
|1979||Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, IL, USA, BS, Physics|
|2002||American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine, Nuclear Medicine Physics & Instrumentation|
Senior Medical Physicist, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - Present
Medical Physicist, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2003
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Nuclear Medicine Peer-Review Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, Radioactive Drug Research Committee, 2003 - 2007
|1991||M.S. with Distinction, DePaul University|
|1985||1 US Patent|
|1975||Best Freshman Physics Major, Western Illinois University|
- Mikell J, Cheenu Kappadath S, Wareing T, Erwin WD, Titt U, Mourtada F. Evaluation of a deterministic grid-based boltzmann solver (GBBS) for voxel-level absorbed dose calculations in nuclear medicine. Phys Med Biol 61(12):4564-82, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27224727.
- Metyko J, Erwin W, Landsberger S. Verification of I-125 brachytherapy source strength for use in radioactive seed localization procedures. Appl Radiat Isot 112:62-68, 2016.
- Metyko J, Erwin W, Poston J, Jimenez S. 90Sr Content in 90Y-labeled SIR-Spheres and Zevalin. Health Phys 107(5 Suppl 1):S177-80, 2014. PMID: 25272027.
- Busse N, Erwin W, Pan T. Evaluation of a semiautomated lung mass calculation technique for internal dosimetry applications. Med Phys 40(12):122503, 2013. PMID: 24320539.
- Metyko J, Williford JM, Erwin W, Poston J, Jimenez S. Long-lived Impurities of 90Y-labeled Microspheres, TheraSphere and SIR-Spheres, and the Impact on Patient Dose and Waste Management. Health Phys 103((5 Suppl 3)):S204-8, 2012. PMID: 23026974.
- Simón J, Frank RK, Crump DK, Erwin WD, Ueno NT, Wendt RE. A preclinical investigation of the saturation and dosimetry of 153Sm-DOTMP as a bone-seeking radiopharmaceutical. Nucl Med Biol 39(6):770-6, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22459336.
- Khouri IF, Saliba RM, Erwin WD, Samuels BI, Korbling M, Medeiros LJ, Valverde R, Alousi AM, Anderlini P, Bashir Q, Ciurea S, Gulbis AM, de Lima M, Hosing C, Kebriaei P, Popat UR, Fowler N, Neelapu SS, Samaniego F, Champlin RE, Macapinlac HA. Nonmyeloablative allogeneic transplantation with or without 90yttrium ibritumomab tiuxetan is potentially curative for relapsed follicular lymphoma: 12-year results. Blood 119(26):6373-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22586182.
- Dickinson RL, Erwin WD , Stevens DM, Bidaut LM, Mar MV, Macapinlac HA, Wendt RE. Hybrid Modality Fusion of Planar Scintigrams and CT Topograms to Localize Sentinel Lymph Nodes in Breast Lymphoscintigraphy: Technical Description and Phantom Studies. Int J Mol Imaging 2011:298102, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21490727.
- Núñez R, Erwin WD, Wendt RE, Stachowiak A, Mar M, Stevens D, Madewell JE, Yeung HW, Macapinlac HA. Acquisition Parameters for Oncologic Imaging with a New SPECT/Multislice CT Scanner. Mol Imaging Biol 12(2):110-38, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20049543.
- Pasciak AS, Erwin WD. Effect of voxel size and computation method on Tc-99m MAA SPECT/CT-based dose estimation for Y-90 microsphere therapy. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 28(11):1754-8, 2009. PMID: 19884064.
- Schechter NR, Erwin WD, Yang DJ, Kim EE, Munden RF, Forster K, Taing LC, Cox JD, Macapinlac HA, Podoloff DA. Radiation dosimetry and biodistribution of (99m)Tc-ethylene dicysteine-deoxyglucose in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 36(10):1583-1591, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19396440.
- Erwin WD, Esmaeli B. Estimation of yttrium-90 Zevalin tumor-absorbed dose in ocular adnexal lymphoma using quantitative indium-111 Zevalin radionuclide imaging. Nucl Med Commun 30(9):681-6, 2009. PMID: 19528874.
- Kappadath SC, Erwin WD , Wendt RE. A novel method to evaluate gamma camera rotational uniformity and sensitivity variation. Med Phys 36(6):1947-55, 2009. PMID: 19610283.
- Winter JN, Inwards DJ, Spies S, Wiseman G, Patton D, Erwin W, Rademaker AW, Weitner BB, Williams SF, Tallman MS, Micallef I, Mehta J, Singhal S, Evens AM, Zimmer M, Molina A, White CA, Gordon LI. Yttrium-90 ibritumomab tiuxetan doses calculated to deliver up to 15 Gy to critical organs may be safely combined with high-dose BEAM and autologous transplantation in relapsed or refractory B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 27(10):1653-9, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19255322.
- Murthy R, Mutha P, Madoff DC, Mahvash A, Erwin W. Establishment of the radiation effect of yttrium-90 microspheres: role of C-arm CT. J Vasc Interv Radiol 20(3):422-4, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19167244.
- Kurihara H, Yang DJ, Cristofanilli M, Erwin WD, Yu DF, Kohanim S, Mendez R, Kim EE. Imaging and dosimetry of (99m)Tc EC annexin V: Preliminary clinical study targeting apoptosis in breast tumors. Appl Radiat Isot 66(9):1175-82, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18308577.
- Gayed IW, Chang J, Kim EE, Nuñez R, Chasen B, Liu HH, Kobayashi K, Zhang Y, Liao Z, Gohar S, Jeter M, Henderson L, Erwin WD, Komaki R. Lung perfusion imaging can risk stratify lung cancer patients for the development of pulmonary complications after chemoradiation. J Thorac Oncol 3(8):858-64, 2008. PMID: 18670303.
- Shioyama Y, Jang SY, Liu HH, Guerrero T, Wang X, Gayed IW, Erwin WD, Liao Z, Chang JY, Jeter M, Yaremko BP, Borghero YO, Cox JD, Komaki R, Mohan R. Preserving functional lung using perfusion imaging and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for advanced-stage non small cell lung cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 68(5):1249 - 58, 2007. PMID: 17446001.
- Liu RR, Erwin WD. Automatic estimation of detector radial position for contoured SPECT acquisition using CT images on a SPECT/CT system. Med Phys 33(8):2800-8, 2006. PMID: 16964856.
- Erwin WD, Groch MW. Quantitative radioimmunoimaging for radioimmunotherapy treatment planning: effect of reduction in data sampling on dosimetric estimates. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 17(6):699-711, 2002. PMID: 12537674.
- Wiseman GA, Leigh B, Erwin WD, Lamonica D, Kornmehl E, Spies SM, Silverman DH, Witzig TE, Sparks RB, White CA. Radiation dosimetry results for Zevalin radioimmunotherapy of rituximab-refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Cancer 94(Suppl 4):1349-57, 2002. PMID: 11877765.
- Erwin WD, Spies SM, Kelly ME, Rao P, Eckersberg-Rhodes TE, Nannapaneni M, Groch MW. Correlation of marrow dose estimates based on serial pretreatment radiopharmaceutical imaging and blood data with actual marrow toxicity in anti-CD20 yttrium-90 monoclonal antibody radioimmunotherapy of non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma. Nucl Med Commun 22(2):247-55, 2001. PMID: 11258413.
- Papadimitroulas P, Erwin WD, Iliadou V, Kostou T, Loudos G, Kagadis GC. A personalized, Monte Carlo-based method for internal dosimetric evaluation of radiopharmaceuticals in children. Med Phys. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29920693.
- Chahoud J, Sui D, Erwin WD, Gulbis AM, Korbling M, Zhang M, Ahmed S, Alatrash G, Anderlini P, Ciurea SO, Oran B, Fayad L, Bassett RL, Jabbour E, Medeiros LJ, Macapinlac HA, Young KH, Khouri IF. Updated results of rituximab pre- and post-BEAM with or without 90Yttrium-Ibritumomab Tiuxetan during autologous transplant for diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29476021.
- Erwin WD, Jessop AC, Mar MV, Macapinlac HA, Mawlawi OR. Qualitative and quantitative comparison of gated blood pool single photon emission computed tomography using low-energy high-resolution and SMARTZOOM collimation. Nuclear Medicine Communications. e-Pub 2016.
- Zhou M, Chen Y, Adachi M, Wen X, Erwin W, Mawlawi O, Lai SY, Li C. Single agent nanoparticle for radiotherapy and radio-photothermal therapy in anaplastic thyroid cancer. Biomaterials 57:41-49. e-Pub 2015.
|Title:||Phase 2/3 Trial of Intracerebroventricular Radioimmunotherapy using 131I-burtomab for Neuroblastoma Central Nervous System/Leptomeningeal Metastases, 2018-0340|
|Funding Source:||Y-mAbs Therapeutics A/S|
|Title:||A Multicenter, Open-Label Phase I/II Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, Biodistribution and Anti-Tumour Activity of 177Lu-OPS201 with Companion Imaging 68Ga-OPS202 PET/CT in Previously Treated Subjects with Locally Advanced or Metastatic Cancers Expressing Somatostatin Receptor 2 (sstr2), 2018-0586|
|Funding Source:||IPSEN PHARMA|
|Title:||An international multi-center, open-label study to evaluate safety, tolerability, biodistribution, dosimetry and preliminary efficacy of 177Lu-OPS201 for the therapy of somatostatin receptorpositive neuroendocrine tumors (NETs), 2018-0818|
|Funding Source:||IPSEN PHARMA|