About Dr. Pataer
Dr. Pataer is a translational researcher who obtained his M.D. from Xinjiang Medical College, Urumqi, Xinjiang, China and his Ph.D. in Cell Biology; Cancer Biology & Pathology from Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan. After completetion of his postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, he was appointed as an Instructor and began his faculty career. He was promoted to Assistant Professor in 2004 and Associate Professor in 2011.
Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery - Research, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Pataer's unique abilities to work with others facilitate his success in our multidisciplinary efforts. Currently his significant accomplishments include validation of the importance of pathologic response in neoadjuvant treated non-small cell lung cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. His lab based research efforts include promising and novel investigations of the role of misfolded protein, PKR associated biomarkers and the development of novel PKR associated small molecules.
|1996||Kyoto University, Kyoto, JPN, PHD, Cell Biology; Cancer Biology & Pathology|
|1988||Xinjiang Medical College, Urumqi, Xinjiang, CHN, MD, Medical|
|1998-2001||Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998||Young Investigator Award, Kyoto University|
|1994||Best Graduate Student Award, Society of Japanese Science|
|1990||Outstanding Employee, Xinjiang Academy of Medical Science|
|1989||Best Resident of the Year, Xinjiang People's Hospital|
- Cascone T, Gold KA, Swisher SG, Liu DD, Fossella FV, Sepesi B, Pataer A, Weissferdt A, Kalhor N, Vaporciyan AA, Hofstetter WL, Wistuba II, Heymach JV, Kim ES, William WN. Induction Cisplatin Docetaxel Followed by Surgery and Erlotinib in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 105(2):418-424, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29217088.
- Gentile E, Oba T, Lin J, Shao R, Meng F, Cao X, Lin HY, Mourad M, Pataer A, Baladandayuthapani V, Cai D, Roth JA, Ji L. Cationic liquid crystalline nanoparticles for the delivery of synthetic RNAi-based therapeutics. Oncotarget 8(29):48222-48239, 2017. PMID: 28637023.
- Dalvi MP, Wang L, Zhong R, Kollipara RK, Park H, Bayo J, Yenerall P, Zhou Y, Timmons BC, Rodriguez-Canales J, Behrens C, Mino B, Villalobos P, Parra ER, Suraokar M, Pataer A, Swisher SG, Kalhor N, Bhanu NV, Garcia BA, Heymach JV, Coombes K, Xie Y, Girard L, Gazdar AF, Kittler R, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Martinez ED. Taxane-Platin-Resistant Lung Cancers Co-develop Hypersensitivity to JumonjiC Demethylase Inhibitors. Cell Rep 19(8):1669-1684, 2017. PMID: 28538184.
- Hao C, Shao R, Raju U, Fang B, Swisher SG, Pataer A. Accumulation of RNA-dependent protein kinase (PKR) in the nuclei of lung cancer cells mediates radiation resistance. Oncotarget 7(25):38235-38242, 2016. PMID: 27203671.
- Bozorov K, Zhao JY, Elmuradov B, Pataer A, Aisa HA. Recent developments regarding the use of thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4-one derivatives in medicinal chemistry, with a focus on their synthesis and anticancer properties. Eur J Med Chem 102:552-573, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26312434.
- William WN, Pataer A, Kalhor N, Correa AM, Rice DC, Wistuba II, Heymach J, Lee JJ, Kim ES, Munden R, Gold KA, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Swisher SG, Erasmus JJ, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Lung Cancer Collaborative Research Group. Computed tomography RECIST assessment of histopathologic response and prediction of survival in patients with resectable non-small-cell lung cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Thorac Oncol 8(2):222-8, 2013. PMID: 23287849.
- Pataer A, Kalhor N, Correa AM, Raso MG, Erasmus JJ, Kim ES, Behrens C, Lee JJ, Roth JA, Stewart DJ, Vaporciyan AA, Wistuba II, Swisher SG, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Lung Cancer Collaborative Research Group. Histopathologic response criteria predict survival of patients with resected lung cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Thorac Oncol 7(5):825-32, 2012. PMID: 22481232.
- Pataer A, Raso MG, Correa AM, Behrens C, Tsuta K, Solis L, Fang B, Roth JA, Wistuba II, Swisher SG. Prognostic significance of RNA-dependent protein kinase on non-small cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 16(22):5522-8, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20930042.
- Zhou Y, Hofstetter WL, He Y, Hu W, Pataer A, Wang L, Wang J, Zhou Y, Yu L, Fang B, Swisher SG. KLF4 inhibition of lung cancer cell invasion by suppression of SPARC expression. Cancer Biol Ther 9(7):507-13, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20215880.
- Fuson KL, Zheng M, Craxton M, Pataer A, Ramesh R, Chada S, Sutton RB. Structural mapping of post-translational modifications in human interleukin-24: role of N-linked glycosylation and disulfide bonds in secretion and activity. J Biol Chem 284(44):30526-33, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19734147.
- Hu W, Hofstetter WL, Li H, Zhou Y, He Y, Pataer A, Wang L, Xie K, Swisher SG, Fang B. Putative tumor-suppressive function of kruppel-like factor 4 in primary lung carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 15(18):5688-95, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19737957.
- Hu W, Hofstetter W, Guo W, Li H, Pataer A, Peng HH, Guo ZS, Bartlett DL, Lin A, Swisher SG, Fang B. JNK-deficiency enhanced oncolytic vaccinia virus replication and blocked activation of double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase. Cancer Gene Ther 15(9):616-24, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18535619.
- Pataer A, Hu W, Xiaolin L, Chada S, Roth JA, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Adenoviral endoplasmic reticulum-targeted mda-7/interleukin-24 vector enhances human cancer cell killing. Mol Cancer Ther 7(8):2528-2535, 2008. PMID: 18723497.
- Pataer A, Chada S, Roth JA, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Development of Ad-mda7/IL-24-resistant lung cancer cell lines. Cancer Biol Ther 7(1):103-8, 2008. PMID: 18059175.
- von Holzen U, Pataer A, Raju U, Bocangel D, Vorburger SA, Liu Y, Lu X, Roth JA, Aggarwal BB, Barber GN, Keyomarsi K, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. The double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase mediates radiation resistance in mouse embryo fibroblasts through nuclear factor kappaB and Akt activation. Clin Cancer Res 13(20):6032-9, 2007. PMID: 17947465.
- Takada Y, Ichikawa H, Pataer A, Swisher S, Aggarwal BB. Genetic deletion of PKR abrogates TNF-induced activation of Iκβα kinase, JNK, Akt and cell proliferation but potentiates p44/p42 MAPK and p38 MAPK activation. Oncogene 26(8):1201-1212, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16924232.
- Pataer A, Bocangel D, Chada S, Roth JA, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Enhancement of adenoviral MDA-7-mediated cell killing in human lung cancer cells by geldanamycin and its 17-allyl- amino-17-demethoxy analogue. Cancer Gene Ther 14(1):12-18, 2007. PMID: 17024233.
- Pataer A, Fanale MA, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Hunt KK. Induction of apoptosis in human lung cancer cells following treatment with amifostine and an adenoviral vector containing wild-type p53. Cancer Gene Ther 13(8):806-814, 2006. PMID: 16628227.
- Chada S, Mhashilkar AM, Liu Y, Nishikawa T, Bocangel D, Zheng M, Vorburger SA, Pataer A, Swisher SG, Ramesh R, Kawase K, Meyn RE, Hunt KK. mda-7 gene transfer sensitizes breast carcinoma cells to chemotherapy, biologic therapies and radiotherapy: correlation with expression of bcl-2 family members. Cancer Gene Ther 13(5):490-502, 2006. PMID: 16282987.
- von Holzen U, Bocangel D, Pataer A, Vorburger SA, Liu Y, Lu X, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Role for the double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase PKR in Ad-TNF-alpha gene therapy in esophageal cancer. Surgery 138(2):261-268, 2005. PMID: 16153435.
- Pataer A, Vorburger SA, Chada S, Balachandran S, Barber GN, Roth JA, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Melanoma differentiation-associated gene-7 protein physically associates with the double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase PKR. Mol Ther 11(5):717-723, 2005. PMID: 15851010.
- Sieger KA, Mhashilkar AM, Stewart A, Sutton RB, Strube RW, Chen SY, Pataer A, Swisher SG, Grimm EA, Ramesh R, Chada S. The tumor suppressor activity of MDA-7/IL-24 is mediated by intracellular protein expression in NSCLC cells. Mol Ther 9(3):355-367, 2004. PMID: 15006602.
- Vorburger SA, Pataer A, Swisher SG, Hunt KK. Genetically targeted cancer therapy: tumor destruction by PKR activation. Am J Pharmacogenomics 4(3):189-98, 2004. PMID: 15174900.
- Vorburger SA, Pataer A, Yoshida K, Liu Y, Lu X, Swisher SG, Hunt KK. The mitochondrial apoptosis-inducing factor plays a role in E2F-1-induced apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Ann Surg Oncol 10(3):314-322, 2003. PMID: 12679318.
- Vorburger SA, Pataer A, Yoshida K, Barber GN, Xia W, Chiao P, Ellis LM, Hung MC, Swisher SG, Hunt KK. Role for the double-stranded RNA activated protein kinase PKR in E2F-1-induced apoptosis. Oncogene 21(41):6278-6288, 2002. PMID: 12214268.
- Nutt LK, Chandra J, Pataer A, Fang B, Roth JA, Swisher SG, O'Neil RG, McConkey DJ. Bax-mediated Ca2+ mobilization promotes cytochrome c release during apoptosis. J Biol Chem 277(23):20301-20308, 2002. PMID: 11909872.
- Pataer A, Vorburger SA, Barber GN, Chada S, Mhashilkar AM, Zou-Yang H, Stewart AL, Balachandran S, Roth JA, Hunt KK, Swisher SG. Adenoviral transfer of the melanoma differentiation-associated gene 7 (mda7) induces apoptosis of lung cancer cells via up-regulation of the double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase (PKR). Cancer Res 62(8):2239-2243, 2002. PMID: 11956076.
- Nutt LK, Pataer A, Pahler J, Fang B, Roth J, McConkey DJ, Swisher SG. Bax and Bak promote apoptosis by modulating endoplasmic reticular and mitochondrial Ca2+ stores. J Biol Chem 277(11):9219-9225, 2002. PMID: 11741880.
- Pataer A, Smythe WR, Yu R, Fang B, McDonnell T, Roth JA, Swisher SG. Adenovirus-mediated Bak gene transfer induces apoptosis in mesothelioma cell lines. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121(1):61-67, 2000. PMID: 11135160.
- Pataer A, Fang B, Yu R, Kagawa S, Hunt KK, McDonnell TJ, Roth JA, Swisher SG. Adenoviral Bak overexpression mediates caspase-dependent tumor killing. Cancer Res 60(4):788-792, 2000. PMID: 10706081.
- Chada S, Bocangel D, Pataer A, Sieger K, Mhashilkar AM, Inoue S, Miyahara R, Roth JA, Swisher S, Hunt KK, Ramesh R. MDA-7/IL-24 as a multi-modality therapy for cancer. In: Gene Therapy for Cancer. Humana Press, 413-434, 2007.
- Hiai H, Yamada Y, Pataer A, Lu L-M, Kamoto T, Tsuruyama T. Genetic and epigenetic susceptibility to endogenous retrovirus-induced lymphomas in SL mice. In: Animal models of cancer predisposition syndromes: Progress in Experimental Tumor Research. Karger, 64-77, 1999.