Adel K. El-Naggar, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology-Lab Medicine Div
About Dr. El-Naggar
Dr. El-Naggar is a Senior Head and Neck Pathologist and the director of the subspecialty fellowship-training program at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. El-Naggar’s clinical and research interests are centered on the optimization of the clinico-pathologic assessment, genomic characterization biomarker discovery and integration of patients with mucosal, thyroid and parathyroid and salivary gland malignancies..
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1978||Department of Immunology, US Naval Research Unit-3 Ein-Shams School of Medicine, Cairo, EGY, PHD, Mechanism of Cell-Mediated Immunity in Tuberculous Meningitis|
|1973||Ein-Shams School of Medicine, Cairo, EGY, DMSc, Clinical Pathology|
|1970||Ein-Shams School of Medicine, Cairo, EGY, MBChB, M.D|
|1988||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor and Pathologist, Director of Flow Cytometry Section, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1991 - 1995
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1987 - 1991
Head & Neck Section Chief, Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1998 - Present
Head and Neck Section Chief, Cell Kinetric and Flow Cytometry, Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1987 - 1998
Honors & Awards
|2014||Endocrine-Related Cancer Award, Society for Endocrinology|
|2012||Foreign Member of the The Royal Society of Arts and Sciences in Gothenburg, Kungl. Vetenskaps- och Vitterhets-Samhället i Göteborg|
|2010||The American Head and Neck Surgeons, Hayes-Martin Memorial Lectureship|
|2007||The American Head and Neck Surgeons, Presidential Citation|
|1998||Kenneth D. Muller Endowed Professorship in Cancer Research|
|1997||The B. Rothschild Senior Research Scholarship, Curie Institute|
|1994||The Mediterranean Society of Tumor Markers, Recognition Award|
|1978||Letter of Merits, US Naval Medical Research, Unit - 3 (NAMRU - 3)|
- Ferrarotto R, Amit M, Nagarajan P, Rubin ML, Yuan Y, Bell D, El-Naggar AK, Johnson JM, Morrison WH, Rosenthal DI, Glisson BS, Johnson FM, Lu C, Mott FE, Esmaeli B, Diaz EM, Gidley PW, Goepfert RP, Lewis CM, Weber RS, Wargo JA, Basu S, Duan F, Yadav SS, Sharma P, Allison JP, Myers JN, Gross ND. Pilot Phase II Trial of Neoadjuvant Immunotherapy in Locoregionally Advanced, Resectable Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Clin Cancer Res 27(16):4557-4565, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34187851.
- Choi KY, Amit M, Tam S, Bell D, Phan J, Garden AS, Williams MD, Ferrarotto R, El-Naggar AK, Raza SM, DeMonte F, Kupferman ME, Hanna EY, Su SY. Clinical Implication of Diagnostic and Histopathologic Discrepancies in Sinonasal Malignancies. Laryngoscope 131(5):E1468-E1475, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32946597.
- Ferrarotto R, Mitani Y, McGrail DJ, Li K, Karpinets TV, Bell D, Frank SJ, Song X, Kupferman ME, Liu B, Lee JJ, Glisson BS, Zhang J, Aster JC, Lin SY, Futreal PA, Heymach JV, El-Naggar AK. Proteogenomic Analysis of Salivary Adenoid Cystic Carcinomas Defines Molecular Subtypes and Identifies Therapeutic Targets. Clin Cancer Res 27(3):852-864, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33172898.
- Ferrarotto R, Mitani Y, Diao L, Guijarro I, Wang J, Zweidler-McKay P, Bell D, William WN, Glisson BS, Wick MJ, Kapoun AM, Patnaik A, Eckhardt G, Munster P, Faoro L, Dupont J, Lee JJ, Futreal A, El-Naggar AK, Heymach JV. Activating NOTCH1 Mutations Define a Distinct Subgroup of Patients With Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Who Have Poor Prognosis, Propensity to Bone and Liver Metastasis, and Potential Responsiveness to Notch1 Inhibitors. J Clin Oncol 35(3):JCO2016675264, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27870570.
- Perrier ND, El-Naggar AK. Editorial: How clinically significant is minimal extrathyroidal extension in papillary thyroid cancer?. Surgery 159(1):22, 2016. PMID: 26518390.
- El-Naggar AK, Westra WH. p16 expression as a surrogate marker for HPV-related oropharyngeal carcinoma: a guide for interpretative relevance and consistency. Head Neck 34(4):459-61, 2012. PMID: 22180304.
- Diegel CR, Cho KR, El-Naggar AK, Williams BO, Lindvall C. Mammalian target of rapamycin-dependent acinar cell neoplasia after inactivation of Apc and Pten in the mouse salivary gland: implications for human acinic cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 70(22):9143-52, 2010. PMID: 21062985.
- Anzick SL, Chen WD, Park Y, Meltzer P, Bell D, El-Naggar AK, Kaye FJ. Unfavorable prognosis of CRTC1-MAML2 positive mucoepidermoid tumors with CDKN2A deletions. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 49(1):59-69, 2010. PMID: 19827123.
- El-Naggar AK, Kaye FJ, Shirazi Y, Gutkind JS, Forastiere AA. Meeting report--the NIDCR 2(nd) Salivary Gland Tumor Meeting, November 2008. Head Neck 31(12):1542-3, 2009. PMID: 19890918.
- Saintigny P, El-Naggar AK, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Ren H, Fan YH, Feng L, Lee JJ, Kim ES, Hong WK, Lippman SM, Mao L. DeltaNp63 overexpression, alone and in combination with other biomarkers, predicts the development of oral cancer in patients with leukoplakia. Clin Cancer Res 15(19):6284-91, 2009. PMID: 19773378.
- Ramdas L, Giri U, Ashorn CL, Coombes KR, El-Naggar A, Ang KK, Story MD. miRNA expression profiles in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma and adjacent normal tissue. Head Neck. PMID: 19260130.
- El-Naggar AK, Hopper C, Upile T, Jerjes W. Head & Neck Oncology: purpose, scope and goals-charting the future. Head Neck Oncol 1:1, 2009. PMID: 19284679.
- Liu Z, Hou P, Ji M, Guan H, Studeman K, Jensen K, Vasko V, El-Naggar AK, Xing M. Highly prevalent genetic alterations in receptor tyrosine kinases and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/akt and mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in anaplastic and follicular thyroid cancers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3106-3116, 2008. PMID: 18492751.
- El-Naggar AK. Commentary: Clinicopathology features and long-term outcome of 293 phyllodes tumours of the breast. Breast Disease 19:144-145, 2008.
- El-Naggar AK. Commentary: Clear cell hidradenoma of the skin-a third tumor type with a t(11;19) associated TORC1-MAML2 gene fusion; Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2005;43:202-205. Adv Anat Pathology 13:80-82, 2006.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||CA200674: Characterization and targeting NOTCH activated Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC)|
|Funding Source:||USA Medical Research Acq Activity|