About Dr. Ahsan Farooqi
Dr. Ahsan Farooqi is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Before his appointment as faculty, he received his MD and PhD at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine (Lubbock, TX), followed by residency training at the University of Texas Dell Medical School (Austin, TX) and MD Anderson Cancer Center.
In his appointment to the Melanoma & Sarcoma Radiation Oncology section he specializes in the treatment of bone and soft tissue sarcomas, melanomas, and other non-melanoma skin malignancies. He has clinical expertise in a variety of standard and specialized radiation treatment modalities including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT/VMAT), proton therapy, stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), and 3D conformal radiation (photons/electrons).
His research is focused on identifying novel ways to combine radiation therapy with targeted agents such as DNA-damage response inhibitors and immunotherapy, to improve outcomes of patients. He has received funding from extramural sources including the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) and his research has been presented at international conferences and published across a variety of peer-reviewed medical journals.
Assistant Professor, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2015||Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, Lubbock, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2013||Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Lubbock, TX, USA, PHD, Cell and Molecular Biology|
|2008||Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, BS, Biomedical Sciences|
|2016-2020||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2015-2016||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Dell Medical School, Austin, TX|
Institutional Committee Activities
Resident Representative, Radiation Oncology Clinical Curriculum Committee, 2018 - 2019
Resident Representative, Radiation Oncology Clinical Operations Committee, 2017 - 2018
|2018||Resident Research Grant, Radiological Society of North America|
|2017||Leonard B. Holman Research Pathway Scholar, American Board of Radiology|
|2014||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine|
|2012||Achievement Rewards for College Scientists Fellow and Scholar, Achievement Rewards for College Scientists Foundation|
|2012||1st place Basic Science – Student Research Week, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine|
|2011||Science Program for Excellence in Science Scholarship, American Association for the Advancement of Science|
|2005||Valedictorian, Killeen High School|
- Mitchell KG, Farooqi A, Ludmir EB, Corsini EM, Sepesi B, Gomez DR, Antonoff MB, MD Anderson Cancer Center Oligometastatic Lung Cancer Working Group. Pulmonary resection is associated with long-term survival and should remain a therapeutic option in oligometastatic lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 161(4):1497-1504.e2, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32331820.
- Koneru B, Lopez G, Farooqi A, Conkrite KL, Nguyen TH, Macha SJ, Modi A, Rokita JL, Urias E, Hindle A, Davidson H, Mccoy K, Nance J, Yazdani V, Irwin MS, Yang S, Wheeler DA, Maris JM, Diskin SJ, Reynolds CP. Telomere Maintenance Mechanisms Define Clinical Outcome in High-Risk Neuroblastoma. Cancer Res 80(12):2663-2675, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32291317.
- Farooqi A, Mitra D, Guadagnolo BA, Bishop AJ. The Evolving Role of Radiation Therapy in Patients with Metastatic Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Curr Oncol Rep 22(8):79, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32602007.
- Farooqi A, Li J, de Groot J, Yeboa DN. Current Role of Radiation Therapy in the Management of Malignant Central Nervous System Tumors. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 34(1):13-28, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31739940.
- Mitchell KG, Farooqi A, Ludmir EB, Corsini EM, Zhang J, Sepesi B, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Heymach JV, Zhang J, Gomez DR, Antonoff MB. Improved Overall Survival With Comprehensive Local Consolidative Therapy in Synchronous Oligometastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Lung Cancer 21(1):37-46.e7, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31447303.
- Farooqi A, Yang J, Sharin V, Ezhilarasan R, Danussi C, Alvarez C, Dharmaiah S, Irvin D, Huse J, Sulman EP. Identification of patient-derived glioblastoma stem cell (GSC) lines with the alternative lengthening of telomeres phenotype. Acta Neuropathol Commun 7(1):76, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31097032.
- Farooqi A, Bishop AJ, Narang S, Allen PK, Li J, McAleer MF, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Amini B, Wang XA, Ghia AJ. Outcomes After Hypofractionated Dose-Escalation using a Simultaneous Integrated Boost Technique for Treatment of Spine Metastases Not Amenable to Stereotactic Radiosurgery. Pract Radiat Oncol 9(2):e142-e148, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30385151.
- Farooqi AS, Sun TL, Thang S, Shaitelman SF. Treatment of bilateral breast cancer and regional nodes using an opposed lateral beam arrangement. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(6):e385-e389, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28867548.
- Farooqi AS, Holliday EB, Allen PK, Wei X, Cox JD, Komaki R. Prophylactic cranial irradiation after definitive chemoradiotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer: Do all patients benefit?. Radiother Oncol 122(2):307-312, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28073578.
- Farooqi A, Siddiqi A, Khan MK, Esiashvili N. Evaluation of radiation dose to cardiac and pulmonary tissue among patients with stage IV Wilms tumor and pulmonary metastases. Pediatr Blood Cancer 61(8):1394-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24585510.
- Farooqi A, Dagg RA, Choi LM, Shay JW, Reynolds CP, Lau LM. Alternative lengthening of telomeres in neuroblastoma cell lines is associated with a lack of MYCN genomic amplification and with p53 pathway aberrations. J Neurooncol 119(1):17-26, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24792489.
- Farooqi A, Dharmiah S, Alvarez C, et al.. ATRX Mutant Glioblastoma Stem Cell (GSC) Lines with the Alternative Lengthening of Telomeres Phenotype Display Sensitivity to G-Quadruplex Stabilization. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 105(1):98, 2019.
- Soliman M, Wang Y, Farooqi A, et al.. Stereotactic Radiosurgery as Primary Management of Intracranial Germ Cell Metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 105(1):E90-E91, 2019.
- Ludmir EB, Farooqi A, Mitchell KG, Antonoff M, Gomez DR.. Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte Ratio is an Independent Prognostic Indicator for Overall Survival among Patients with Oligometastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 105(1):E517, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Ludmir EB., Mitchell KG., Antonoff M., Gomez DR., Gandhi S. Increased Biologically Effective Dose (BED) To The Primary Tumor Improves Survival in Patients with Oligometastatic NSCLC: A Retrospective Dose Response Analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 104(5):1192-1193, 2019.
- Mitchell K, Farooqi A, Ludmir EB, Corsini EM, Vaporciyan A, Swisher SG, Heymach J, Zhang J, Gomez DR, Antonoff M. Improved Overall Survival with Local Consolidative Therapy in Oligometastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Results from a Cohort of 194 patients with Synchronous Disease. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 104(1):229, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Yang J, Sharin V, Huse JT, Sulman EP. Identification of patient-derived glioblastoma stem cell (GSC) lines with the alternative lengthening of telomeres phenotype. Neuro-Oncology 20:244, 2018.
- Moreno A, Choi S, Colbert L, Farooqi A, Umberson K, Korah B, Herman J. Standardizing and optimizing institutional-level documentation in the electronic medical record era. J Clin Oncol 36:155, 2018.
- Nanda R, Farooqi A, Khan MK, Esiashvili N. Cardiopulmonary Outcomes for Concurrent vs. Sequential Lung and Flank Irradiation in Stage IV Wilms Tumor. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(1):S728, 2014.
- Farooqi A, Hindle A, Koneru B, Shay J, Reynolds CP. Increased DNA Repair Capacities and p53/MDM2 Pathway Aberrations Hallmark Neuroblastoma Cell Lines with the Alternative Lengthening of Telomeres (ALT) Phenotype. Cancer Research 73(8):580, 2013.
- Woodburn T, Hall H, White K, Calderon R, Blaydes R, Farooqi A, Hogarty M, Mosse Y, Maris J, Erdreich-Epstein A, Miller B, Reynolds CP. Establishing validated pediatric cancer cell lines and direct xenografts from post-mortem samples. Cancer Research 73(8):2786, 2013.
- Grossberg A, Farooqi A, Taniguchi C. Radiation Biology. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st. Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Yeboa D., Sulman EP. Low-Grade Gliomas. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st. Wolters Kluwer, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Yeboa D., Sulman EP. High-Grade Gliomas. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st. Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Ludmir EB., Paulino A. Neuroblastoma. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st. Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, 2019.
- Farooqi A, Tang C, Das P. Colorectal Cancer. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st. Wolters Kluwer, 2019.
Books (edited and written)
- Tang C, Farooqi A. Pocket Radiation Oncology. 1st Edition. Wolters Kluwer, 2019.