About Dr. Alexander M. Won
Dr. Alexander Won is an Associate Professor in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery Section of Oral Oncology and Maxillofacial Prosthodontics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He collaborates with Head and Neck Surgery, Radiation Oncology, and Medical Oncology. His primary duties are oral evaluation and treatment of patients with head and neck cancer including prosthetic rehabilitation.
His research efforts focus on oral manifestations with patients undergoing stem cell transplant, targeted therapy, immunotherapy and bone targeted therapy.
Associate Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, HOUSTON, TX
|2009||Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN, USA, DDS, Dentistry|
|2014-2015||Clinical Fellowship, Advanced Education Program in Maxillofacial Prosthodontics and Oral Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2012||Clinical Residency, Prosthodontics, University of California, San Francisco, CA|
|2017||American Board of Prosthodontics|
Assistant Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2021
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Prosthodontics and Digital Technology, Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine, New York, NY, 2012 - 2014
Director, Removal prosthodontics, Stony Brook University, School of Dental Medicine, New York, NY, 2012 - 2014
Director, Year IV Advanced removable course, Stony Brook University, School of Dental Medicine, New York, NY, 2012 - 2014
Director, Removable Prosthodontics Technique, Stony Brook University, School of Dental Medicine, New York, NY, 2012 - 2014
Director, Prosthodontics clinic, Stony Brook University, School of Dental Medicine, New York, NY, 2012 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Super User, Video-Conferencing Committee Epic, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, 2020 - Present
|2018||Outstanding Literary Award, American Academy of Oral Medicine Scientific Session, 2018 (R. Acharya, Fellow 2017-18)|
|2009||American College of Prosthodontics Achievement Award, American College of Prosthodontics|
|2009||Excellence in Prosthodontics Award, Meharry College|
- Srivastava A, Nogueras Gonzalez GM. Geng Y, Won AM, Cabanillas ME, Naing A, Myers JN, Li Y, Chambers MS. Medication-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Patients Treated Concurrently with Antiresorptive and Antiangiogenic Agents: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Immunotherapy and Precision Oncology 4(4):1-12, 2021. e-Pub 2021.
- Srivastava A, Nogueras Gonzalez GM, Geng Y, Won AM, Cabanillas ME, Naing A, Myers JN, Li Y, Chambers MS. Prevalence of medication related osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients treated with sequential antiresorptive drugs: systematic review and meta-analysis. Support Care Cancer 29(5):2305-2317, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33190182.
- MD Anderson Head and Neck Surgery Treatment Guidelines Consortium: Consortium members, Maniakas A, Jozaghi Y, Zafereo ME, Sturgis EM, Su SY, Gillenwater AM, Gidley PW, Lewis CM, Diaz E, Goepfert RP, Kupferman ME, Gross ND, Hessel AC, Pytynia KB, Nader NE,, Wang JR, Lango MN, Kiong KL, Guo T, Zhao X, Yao CMKL, Appelbaum E, Alpard J, Garcia JA, Terry S, Flynn JE, Bauer S, Fournier D, Burgess CG, Wideman C, Johnston M, You C, DeLuna R, Joseph L, Diersing J, Prescott K, Heiberger K, Mugartegui L, Rodriguez J, Zendehel S, Sellers J, Friddell RA, Thomas A, Khanjae SJ, Schwarzlose KB, Chambers MS, Hofstede TM, Cardoso RC, Aponte Wesson R, Won AM, Otun AO, Gombos DS, Al-Zubidi N, Hutcheson KA, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Gillison ML, Ferrarotto R, Weber RS, Hanna EY, Myers JN, Lai SY. Surgery Treatment Guidelines Consortium: Head and Neck Surgical Oncology in the Time of a Pandemic: Subsite-specific Triage Guidelines During the COVID19 Pandemic. Head and Neck 42(6):1194 - 1201, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32342541.
- Acharya RP, Won AM, Moon BS, Flint JH, Roubaud MS, Williams MD, Hessel AC, Murphy WA, Chambers MS, Gagel RF. Tumor-induced hyhpophosphatemic osteomalacia caused by mesenchymal tumor of the mandible managed by a segmental mandibulectomy and microvascular reconstruction with a free fibula flap. Head Neck 41(6):E93-E98, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30859653.
- Asfar MM, Hutcheson KA, Won AM. Prosthetic rehabilitation with palatal lift/augmentation in a patient with neurologic/motor deficit due to cancer therapy of chondrosarcoma. J Prosthodont 28(3):234-238, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30357985.
- Otun AO, Qazali AA, Won AM, Chambers MS. Natural Killer T-Cell Lymphoma (Nasal-Type) Presenting Early as Pain of Odontogenic Origin. International Journal of Dentistry and Oral Health 4(3), 2018. e-Pub 2018.
- Won AM, Boddu P, Otun AO, Aponte-Wesson R, Chambers MS. Chronic myelogenous leukemia presenting with osteonecrosis of jaw as a rare but debilitating toxicity of dasatinib: A case report and literature review. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology 126(4):e208-e211, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29941400.
- Boddu P, Chen PL, Nagarajan P, Prieto VG, Won AM, Chambers MS, Kornblau S. Necrotizing fungal gingivitis in a patient with acute myelogenous leukemia: Visible yet obscure. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Medicine, and Pathology 30(1):50-54, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29404266.
- Won AM, Hofstede TM, Cardoso RC, Otun AO, Chambers MS. Sunitinib and Zoledronic Acid Combination Therapy for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Alarming for Osteonecrosis of the Jaw. Kidney Cancer Journal 15(2):49-52, 2017. e-Pub 2017.
- Won AM, Montgomery P, Aponte-Wesson R, Chambers M. Implant-supported and magnet-retained oral-nasal combination prosthesis in a patient with total rhinectomy and partial maxillectomy due to cancer: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 117(2):315-320, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27666495.
- Delgado-Ruiz RA, Calvo-Guirado JL, Abboud M, Ramirez-Fernández MP, Maté-Sánchez JE, Negri B, Won A, Romanos G. Porous titanium granules in critical size defects of rabbit tibia with or without membranes. Int J Oral Sci 6(2):105-10, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24556954.
- Won AM, Aponte Wesson R, Chambers MS. A Simple Flap Guard for Protection of Intraoral Anterolateral Thigh Flap Construction. JPRAS Open.
- Won AM, Hofstede TM, Chambers MS, Aponte Wesson R. Destruction of the hard palate and oral nasal communication caused by pervious treatment with sunitinib and zoledronic acid: Case Report. J. Med Case Rep.
- Alqarni H, Montgomery P, Aponte-Wesson R, Won AM, Hofstede TM, Chambers MS. Combined rehabilitation of a lower lip defect after resection of floor of mouth cancer: A Clinical Report. J Prosthet Dent. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33867164.
- Rivera-Rivera LP, Alqarni H, Nguyen C, Montgomery P, Hofstede TM, Aponte Wesson R, Won AM. Digital Planning and Fabrication of an Oral Surgical Splint for Implant Uncovering. The Greater Houston Dental Society - Star of the South Dental Meeting, 2020.
- Acharya RP, Won AM, Graham WC, Chambers MS. Prosthetic Rehabilitation of Severe Microstomia and Trismus from Cancer Therapy. American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics, 2018.
- Acharya RP, Won AM, Chambers MS, Gagel RF, Hessel AC, Murphy WA. Tumor-Induced Hypophosphatemic Osteomalacia caused by a Mesenchymal tumor of the mandible managed by a segmental mandibulectomy and microvascular reconstruction with a free fibula flap. American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics Annual Conference, 2018.
- Acharya RP, Won AM. Oncogenic Osteomalacia Caused by a Phosphaturic Mesenchymal Tumor of the Mandible: A Case Report. Poster Session, Advances in Oral Medicine, Presented at the American Academy of Oral Medicine (AAOM) Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 2018.
- Otun AO, Won AM. A Case of NKT Cell Lymphoma Nasal Type Presenting as Pain of Odontogenic Origins. ISMR & AAMP 4th Joint Conference 2017: California. Accepted, 2017.
- Asfar M, Hutcheson K, Won AM. Prosthetic rehabilitation with palatal lift/augmentation in a patient with neurologic/motor deficit due to cancer therapy of chondrosarcoma. The Greater Houston Dental Society - Star of the South Dental Meeting, 2017.
- Won A, Aponte-Wesson R, Montgomery P, Wesley P, Chambers M. Implant-supported and magnet retained oral-nasal combination prosthesis of a patient with total rhinectomy and partial maxillectomy due to cancer: A clinical report. Presented at the Proceedings of the Star of the South Dental Meeting 2015, Star of the South Annual Session, Houston, TX, 2015.
- Abboud M, Delgado-Ruiz RA, Won A. Influence of angled implant position on bone strains and stress. Materials Research, Presented at the European Academy of Osseointegration (EAO) Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, 2013.
- Abboud M, Delgado-Ruiz RA, Won A. Influence of different drills on the primary implant stability. Materials Research, Presented at the European Academy of Osseointegration (EAO) Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, 2013.
- Abboud M, Delgado-Ruiz R, Won A. Evaluation of a new titled implant design used for the All on 4 concept. Implant Therapy Outcomes, Presented at the European Academy of Osseointegration (EAO) Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, 2013.
- Cardoso RC, Hofstede TM, Martin JW, Garden AS, Aponte-Wesson RA, Montgomery P, Won A, Chambers MS. Chapter 29: Oral and Maxillofacial Rehabilitation of Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. In: Cancer of the Head and Neck. Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia, 2016.
- Aponte-Wesson R, Hofstede TM, Cardoso RC, Montgomery P, Won A, Martin JW, Chambers M. Chapter 54 Oral Oncology. In: Head and Neck Cancer: Multimodality Management 2nd Edition. Springer Science + Business Media, 2015.