About Dr. Mericli
Dr. Mericli is an Assistant Professor of Plastic Surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He completed his plastic surgery residency at the University of Virginia, followed by a fellowship in microvascular and reconstructive surgery at MD Anderson. Dr. Mericli is interested in all aspects of reconstructive surgery with particular attention to breast, head and neck, and trunk reconstruction. He is dedicated to surgical research and education, having received numerous awards in recognition of these endeavors. He has authored or co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on various plastic surgery topics and lectured nationally and internationally on his research. Dr. Mericli is involved in studying the negative effects of radiation on healthy tissue and has a patent pending on a novel topical therapy for radiation skin injury, which he developed during his residency training.
Dr. Mericli is originally from Pittsburgh, PA. He received his Bachelor of Science degree – magna cum laude – from Allegheny College, in Meadville, PA, where he studied biology and English. He was awarded his Doctor of Medicine degree – magna cum laude – from Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, PA, where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society.
Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2019||Harvard Business School- Institute for Strategy and Competitiveness, Boston, MA, USA, Certificate, Value-Based Healthcare|
|2009||Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2005||Allegheny College, Meadville, PA, USA, BS, Biology: Minor, English|
|2017-2017||Leadership Training, Faculty- Supervision and Management, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Faculty Leadership Development Program, Houston, TX|
|2015-2016||Clinical Fellowship, Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2015||Clinical Residency, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, PA|
|2017||American Board of Plastic Surgery|
|2019||Most Outstanding Paper, Restoration of Spinopelvic Continuity with the Free Fibula Flap After Limb-Sparing Oncologic Resection, American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery|
|2018||Cover Image Selection, Current Concepts in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Supplement to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal|
|2018||Cover Illustration, The MD Anderson Oncologic Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Classification System, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||Cronin Award for Presentation, The Free Fibula Flap for Restoration of Spinal Stability After Oncologic Vertebrectomy, Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting|
|2018||Outstanding Presentation, Reconstructive Track, Soft Tissue Reconstruction After Concomitant Vertebrectomy and Chest Wall Resetion for Spinal Tumors, Plastic Surgery THE Meeting, American Society of Plastic Surgeons|
|2016||Best "Young Plastic Surgeon" Presentation, Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting|
|2016||"Best Case", The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Plastic Surgery, Annual Case Competition|
|2015||The Raymond F. Morgan, MD Plastic Surgery Research Award|
|2013||University of Virginia Housestaff Young Scientist Award|
|2011||Mulholland Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Virginia Annual Award|
|2009||Magna Cum Laude, Jefferson Medical College|
|2009||The Hyman Menduke Research Prize, Jefferson Medical College|
|2009||The Francis Torrens Stewart, MD Clinical Surgery Prize, Jefferson Medical College|
|2008||Alpha Omega Alpha, Elected Junior Year|
|2008||Best Research Poster, Sigma Xi Research Symposium, Jefferson Medical College|
|2007||Beach Memorial Merit Scholarship, Jefferson Medical College|
|2007||Warren C. Batroff Merit Scholarship, Jefferson Medical College|
|2007||National Pathology Honor Society, Association of Pathology Chairs|
|2007||Best Research Poster, Philadelphia Academy of Surgery Annual Meeting|
|2006||Sidney L. Olsho Merit Scholarship, Jefferson Medical College|
|2006||Alpha Omega Alpha, Carolyn L. Kuckein Research Fellowship|
|2005||Magna Cum Laude, Allegheny College|
|2004||National Science Foundation Undergraduate Research, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine|
|2003||Allegheny College Leadership Dedication Award|
|2002||Allegheny College Alden Scholar / Distinguished Alden Scholar|
|2001||Allegheny College Trustees' Scholarship|
- Mericli AF, Szpalski C, Schaverien MV, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Garvey PB, Villa MT, Robb G, Baumann DP. The Latissimus Dorsi Myocutaneous Flap Is a Safe and Effective Method of Partial Breast Reconstruction in the Setting of Breast Conserving Therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg 143(5):927e-935e, 2019. PMID: 31033814.
- Dassoulas KR, Mericli AF, Wang JS, Lei SS, Kim T, Cottler PS, Lin KY. Treatment With Topical Deferoxamine Improves Cutaneous Vascularity and Tissue Pliability in an Irradiated Animal Model of Tissue Expander-Based Breast Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 82(1):104-109, 2019. PMID: 30531453.
- Mericli AF, Largo RD, Garvey PB, Rhines L, Bird J, Liu J, Baumann D, Butler CE. Immediate Reconstruction of Complex Spinal Wounds Is Associated with Increased Hardware Retention and Fewer Wound-related Complications: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 7(1):e2076, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30859036.
- Mericli AF, Baumann DP, Butler CE. Reconstruction of the Abdominal Wall after Oncologic Resection: Defect Classification and Management Strategies. Plast Reconstr Surg 142(3S Current Concepts in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction):187S-196S, 2018. PMID: 30138289.
- Mericli AF, Wren J, Garvey PB, Liu J, Butler CE, Selber JC. A Prospective Clinical Trial Comparing Visible Light Spectroscopy to Handheld Doppler for Postoperative Free Tissue Transfer Monitoring. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(3):604-613, 2017. PMID: 28582335.
- Mericli AF, Canzoneri CN, Stewart CM, Selber JC. The Graduated Coupler Sizer: An Innovative Design Associated with Improved Accuracy. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(3):522e-523e, 2017. PMID: 28590976.
- Mericli AF, Schaverien MV, Hanasono MM, Yu P, Largo RD, Villa MT, Reece G, Butler CE, Garvey PB. Using a Second Free Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap after Repeated Mandibulectomy Is Associated with a Low Complication Rate and Acceptable Functional Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(2):381-389, 2017. PMID: 28746288.
- Mericli AF, Garvey PB, Giordano S, Liu J, Baumann DP, Butler CE. Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Concomitant Ostomy-Associated Hernia Repair: Outcomes and Propensity Score Analysis. J Am Coll Surg 224(3):351-361.e2, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27965133.
- Mericli AF, Friedstat JS, Chang EI, Hanasono MM. Simultaneous vascularized bony reconstruction of the maxilla and mandible using a single fibula: A case report. Microsurgery 37(3):243-247, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28295569.
- Mericli AF, Martin JP, Campbell CA. An algorithmic anatomical subunit approach to pelvic wound reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 137(3):1004-17, 2016. PMID: 26910686.
- Mericli AF, Black JS, Morgan RF. Syndactyly web space reconstruction using the tapered M-to-V flap: A single-surgeon, 30-year experience. J Hand Surg Am 40(9):1755-63, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26163923.
- Mericli AF, Chen K, Murariu D, Jane JA, Lin KY. Calvarial regeneration with use of acellular dermal matrix in aplasia cutis congenita. J Craniofac Surg 26(6):1960-2, 2015. PMID: 26267580.
- Mericli AF, Das A, Rodeheaver P, Rodeheaver GT, Lin KY. The impact of deferoxamine on vascularity and soft tissue biomechanics in a rat TRAM flap model. Plast Reconstr Surg 136(1):125e-127e, 2015. PMID: 25803154.
- Mericli AF, Das A, Best R, Rodeheaver P, Rodeheaver G, Lin KY. Deferoxamine mitigates radiation-induced tissue injury in a rat irradiated TRAM flap model. Plast Reconstr Surg 135(1):124e-34e, 2015. PMID: 25539319.
- DeGeorge BR, Mericli AF, Lin KY.. Rupture of Breast Tissue Expander Due to Chest Wall Exostosis: Case Report and Literature Review. Plast Surg Case Studies 19X):1-5, 2015.
- Mericli AF, Gampper TJ. Treatment of postsurgical temporal hollowing with high-density porous polyethylene. J Craniofac Surg 25(2):563-7, 2014. PMID: 24514889.
- Mericli AF, Bell D, DeGeorge BR, Drake DB. The single fascial incision modification of the "open-book" component separation repair: a 15-year experience. Ann Plast Surg 71(2):203-8, 2013. PMID: 23838757.
- Wallace SA, Mericli AF, Taylor PT, Drake DB. Panniculectomy and abdominoplasty in patients undergoing gynecologic surgery: a single center case series of 15 combined procedures. Ann Plast Surg 71(1):88-92, 2013. PMID: 23364668.
- Mericli AF, Gampper TJ. The use of an acellular dermal matrix "sandwich" for the successful treatment of a persistent cranial cerebrospinal fluid fistula. J Craniofac Surg 24(4):1314-6, 2013. PMID: 23851796.
- Degeorge BR, Colen DL, Mericli AF, Drake DB. Reduction mammoplasty operative techniques for improved outcomes in the treatment of gigantomastia. Eplasty 13:e54, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24244786.
- Mirzabeigi MN, Moore JH, Mericli AF, Bucciarelli P, Jandali S, Valerio IL, Stofman GM. Current trends in vaginal labioplasty: a survey of plastic surgeons. Ann Plast Surg 68(2):125-34, 2012. PMID: 21346521.
- Mirzabeigi MN, Mericli AF, Ortlip T, Tuma GA, Copit SE, Fox JW, Moore JH. Evaluating the role of postoperative prophylactic antibiotics in primary and secondary breast augmentation: a retrospective review. Aesthet Surg J 32(1):61-8, 2012. PMID: 22231414.
- Mericli AF, Mirzabeigi MN, Moore JH, Fox JW, Copit SE, Tuma GA. Reconstruction of complex posterior cervical spine wounds using the paraspinous muscle flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 128(1):148-53, 2011. PMID: 21701332.
- Mericli AF, DeCesare GE, Zuckerbraun NS, Kurland KS, Grunwaldt L, Vecchione L, Losee JE. Pediatric craniofacial fractures due to violence: comparing violent and nonviolent mechanisms of injury. J Craniofac Surg 22(4):1342-7, 2011. PMID: 21772183.
- Mericli AF, Drake DB. Abdominal contouring in super obese patients: a single-surgeon review of 22 cases. Ann Plast Surg 66(5):523-7, 2011. PMID: 21301300.
- Hanna KR, DeGeorge BR, Mericli AF, Lin KY, Drake, DB.. Acellular dermal matrix assisted and submuscular breast reconstruction: a comparison of complications and patient satisfaction. Ann Plast Surg 70(1):10-5, 2011.
- Mericli AF, Tarola NA, Moore JH, Copit SE, Fox JW, Tuma GA. Paraspinous muscle flap reconstruction of complex midline back wounds: Risk factors and postreconstruction complications. Ann Plast Surg 65(2):219-24, 2010. PMID: 20585231.
- Mericli AF, Moore JH, Fox JW, Copit SE, Tuma GA.. Interesting case # 19: Management of complex spinal wounds. ePlasty 9:1-4, 2009.
- Mericli AF, Moore JH, Copit SE, Fox JW, Tuma GA. Technical changes in paraspinous muscle flap surgery have increased salvage rates of infected spinal wounds. Eplasty 8:e50, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19011678.
- DiMuzio P, Fisher L, McIlhenny S, DiMatteo C, Golesorhki N, Grabo D, Tarola N, Mericli A, Shapiro I, Tulenko T. Development of a tissue engineered bypass graft seeded with stem cells. Vascular 14(6):338-42, 2006. PMID: 17150154.
- Mericli AF. Management of the Open Abdomen. Sem Plast Surg 32:127-132, 2019.
- Mericli AF. Review of: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of Pressure Ulcers. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery(139 (2)):518, 2017.
- Mericli AF and Butler CE.. Discussions of: Redefining the Rectus Sheath: Implications for Abdominal Wall, 2017.
- Mericli AF, Selber JC.. Commentary on: A prospective study of mastectomy patients with and without delayed breast reconstruction: long-term psychosocial functioning in the breast cancer survivorship period. [J Surg Oncol. 2015;111:258-264]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(2), 2016.
- Mericli AF, Hassid VJ.. Commentary on: Breast implants and the risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. [Aesthet Surg J. 2015;35:55-62] Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 27(2), 2015.
- Mericli AF, Sharabi S. Breast Implants and Radiation. Sem Plast Surg.
- Mericli AF. Commentary on: Psychosocial and Sexual Well-Being Following Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy and Reconstruction. [Breast J. 2016;22:10-17] Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Contributor. Options for Breast Reconstruction Booklet. University of Texas MD Anderson: Department of Plastic Surgery, 2017.
- Contributor. Breast Reconstruction Options Shared Decision Making Video Script Production. University of MD Anderson Cancer Center: Department of Plastic Surgery, 2017.
- Hanna K, Mericli A, Cottler P, Salopek L, Wang Y, Wang J, Stovall M, Rodeheaver G, Lin K.. Topical deferoxamine penetrates the dermis and increases cutaneous vascularity: the development of a topical therapy for radiation soft tissue injury. Plast Reconstr Surg 135(5S):114, 2015.
- Mericli AF, Black JS, Morgan RF. Syndactyly web space reconstruction using the tapered M-to-V flap: a single surgeon, 30-year experience. Plast Reconstr Surg 135(4):1222, 2015.
- Mericli AF, Das A, Best R, Rodeheaver P, Rodeheaver G, Lin KY. Abstract 107: Deferoxamine Mitigates Radiation-Induced Hypovascularity and Improves Tissue Elasticity in a Rat Irradiated TRAM Flap Model. Plast Reconstr Surg 133(3 Suppl):124, 2014. PMID: 25942218.
- Mericli AF, Das A, Rodeheaver P, Rodeheaver G, Lin KY. Abstract 110: The Impact of Deferoxamine on Vascularity and Soft Tissue Biomechanics in a Rat TRAM Flap Model. Plast Reconstr Surg 133(3 Suppl):127, 2014. PMID: 25942221.
- Mericli AF, DeCesare GE, Zuckerbraun NS, Kurland KS, Grunwaldt L, Vecchione L, Squires JE, Losee JE.. Pediatric craniofacial fractures due to violence: a five year institutional review of 1528 patients comparing violent and non-violent mechanisms of injury. Plast Reconstr Surg 124(4S):6, 2009.
- 1. Mericli A, Tarola N, Fischer L, DiMatteo C, Golesorkhi N, Grabo D, McIlhenny S, Scully K, Tulenko T, Shapiro I, DiMuzio P.. Paraspinous muscle flap reconstruction of complex midline back wounds: risk factors and post-reconstruction complications at a busy regional spine center. J Surg Res 122(4S):64-65, 2008.
- Mericli A, Tarola N, Fischer L, DiMatteo C, Golesorkhi N, Grabo D, McIlhenny S, Scully K, Tulenko T, Shapiro I, DiMuzio P.. Growth-factor rich endothelial cell media induces adipose-derived stem cells to acquire endothelial cell phenotype. J Surg Res 132(2), 2007.
- Mericli AF, Butler CE. The Rectus Femoris Flap for Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. In: Operative Techniques in Plastic Surgery, 2019.
- Katz AJ, Mericli AF. Stem Cells Derived from Fat. In: Handbook of Stem Cells. 2nd. Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Katz AJ, Mericli AF. Stem Cells Derived from Fat. In: Principles of Regenerative Medicine. 2nd. Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
- Mericli AF, Selber JC. The Anteromedial Thigh Flap. In: Handbook of Reconstructive Flaps.
- Mericli AF, Butler CE. The Rectus Femoris Muscle Flap. In: Handbook of Reconstructive Flaps.
- Mericli AF, Adelman D. The Gastrocnemius Muscle Flap. In: Handbook of Reconstructive Flaps.
- Mericli AF, Garvey PB. Scapular Osseous Free Flap. In: Operative Plastic Surgery.