About Dr. Alousi
Amin M. Alousi, M.D. graduated from Wayne State University Medical School in 1997. He completed residencies in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at Wayne State University (1997–2001), served as Chief Medical Resident at Detroit Receiving Hospital (2001-2002), and fellowships in Adult Hematology and Oncology at Karmanos Cancer Institute (2002-2005). In 2005 he came to MD Anderson Cancer Center to receive specialty training in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (BMT). He was appointed Assistant Professor of Medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2005 where he specializes in the treatment of various hematologic malignancies. His primary field of research is in the prevention and treatment of graft versus host disease for which he is the principle investigator on numerous clinical trials. He also helps to establish guidelines at MD Anderson Cancer Center and nationally for “survivorship” needs for patients following allogeneic transplantation. In 2012 Dr. Alousi reached an important milestone in his career as he was promoted to Associate Professor of Medicine in the department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy. He has published several papers and book chapters related to hematology, oncology and graft versus host disease; and serves as reviewer for various journals. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Adult Hematology and Adult Oncology.
Associate Professor, Department of Stem Cell Transplantation, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Assistant Professor, The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
|1997||Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2017||American Board of Hematology|
|2006||American Board of Medical Oncology|
|2002||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Co-Chair, Center for International Blood & Marrow Transplant Research, Milwaukee, WI, 2014 - Present
Member, U54 Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) Charter - CHRONIC GVHD CONSORTIUM, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, 2011 - Present
Member, BMT CTN GVHD State of the Science Committee, Bethesda, MD, 2011 - Present
Member, BMT CTN Steering Committee - GVHD, Bethesda, MD, 2008 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Ethics and Compliance in Oncology Research (ECOR) Advisory Board, 2011 - Present
Chair, Clinical Research Committee (CRC 4), 2011 - Present
Chair, Transfusion Subcommittee, 2010 - Present
Member, UTMDACC / SCTCT - ICU Committee, 2006 - Present
- Alousi AM, Le-Rademacher J, Saliba RM, Appelbaum FR, Artz A, Benjamin J, Devine SM, Kan F, Laughlin MJ, Lazarus HM, Liesveld J, Perales MA, Maziarz RT, Sabloff M, Waller EK, Eapen M, Champlin RE. Who is the better donor for older hematopoietic transplant recipients: an older-aged sibling or a young, matched unrelated volunteer?. Blood 121 (13) :2567-73, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23361908.
- Najera JE, Alousi A, De Lima M, Ciurea SO. Akinetic mutism-a serious complication to tacrolimus-based GVHD prophylaxis. Bone Marrow Transplant 48 (1) :157-8, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22705799.
- Alousi AM, Bolaños-Meade J, Lee SJ. Graft-versus-Host Disease: The State of the Science. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19 (1 Suppl) :S102-8, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23110985.
- Levine JE, Logan BR, Wu J, Alousi AM, Bolaños-Meade J, Ferrara JL, Ho VT, Weisdorf DJ, Paczesny S. Acute graft-versus-host disease biomarkers measured during therapy can predict treatment outcomes: a Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network study. Blood 119 (16) :3854-60, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22383800.
- Hymes SR, Alousi AM, Cowen EW. Graft-versus-host disease: Part I. Pathogenesis and clinical manifestations of graft-versus-host disease. J Am Acad Dermatol 66 (4) :515.e1-515.e18, 2012. PMID: 22421123.
- Hymes SR, Alousi AM, Cowen EW. Graft-versus-host disease: Part II. Management of cutaneous graft-versus-host disease. J Am Acad Dermatol 66 (4) :535.e1-535.e16, 2012. PMID: 22421124.
- Anderlini P, Saliba RM, Ledesma C, Chancoco C, Alousi AM, Shpall EJ, Popat UR, Hosing CM, Khouri IF, Nieto Y, Ciurea S, Younes A, Fanale MA, Acholonu S, Valverde R, Champlin RE. Gemcitabine, fludarabine and melphalan (G-FM) as a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen for allogeneic stem cell transplantation in relapsed and refractory hodgkin lymphoma: preliminary results. Leuk Lymphoma 53 (3) :499-502, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21859247.
- Ross WA, Alousi AM. Making the diagnosis of gastrointestinal GVHD: is evaluation of the ileum necessary?. Bone Marrow Transplant 47 (3) :321-2, 2012. PMID: 22395763.
- Popat U, de Lima MJ, Saliba RM, Anderlini P, Andersson BS, Alousi AM, Hosing C, Nieto Y, Parmar S, Khouri IF, Kebriaei P, Qazilbash M, Champlin RE, Giralt SA. Long-term outcome of reduced-intensity allogeneic hematopoietic SCT in patients with AML in CR. Bone Marrow Transplant 47 (2) :212-6, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21423123.
- Alatrash G, Pelosini M, Saliba RM, Koca E, Rondon G, Andersson BS, Chiattone A, Zhang W, Giralt SA, Cernosek AM, Kebriaei P, Alousi AM, Popat UR, Hosing C, Khouri IF, Champlin RE, de Lima MJ. Platelet Recovery Prior to Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant Predicts Posttransplant Outcomes in Patients with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and Myelodysplastic Syndrome. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 17 (12) :1841-5, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21684343.
- Joseph RW, Alousi A, Konda B, Komanduri K, Neumann J, Trevino C, Stolar K, Qazilbash M, Hosing C, Kebriaei P, Couriel DR, Champlin RE, Saliba R, Popat U. High incidence of vitamin D deficiency in patients undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Am J Hematol 86 (11) :954-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21948087.
- Kim HN, Alousi AM, Lee JH, Qiao W, Xiao L, Ross WA. Role of ERCP in patients after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Gastrointest Endosc 74 (4) :817-24, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21802682.
- Parmar S, Andersson BS, Couriel D, Munsell MF, Fernandez-Vina M, Jones RB, Shpall EJ, Popat U, Anderlini P, Giralt S, Alousi A, Cano P, Bosque D, Hosing C, Silva Lde P, Westmoreland M, Wathen JK, Berry D, Champlin RE, de Lima MJ. Prophylaxis of Graft-Versus-Host Disease in Unrelated Donor Transplantation with Pentostatin, Tacrolimus, and "Mini"-Methotrexate: A Phase I/II Controlled, Adaptively Randomized Study. J Clin Oncol 29 (3) :294-302, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21149654.
- Westin JR, Saliba RM, De Lima M, Alousi A, Hosing C, Qazilbash MH, Khouri IF, Shpall EJ, Anderlini P, Rondon G, Andersson BS, Champlin R, Couriel DR. Steroid-Refractory Acute GVHD: Predictors and Outcomes. Adv Hematol 2011:601953, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22110505.
- Levine JE, Logan B, Wu J, Alousi AM, Ho V, Bolaños-Meade J, Weisdorf D, Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network. Graft-versus-Host Disease Treatment: Predictors of Survival. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16 (12) :1693-9, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20541024.
- Jacobson PA, Huang J, Wu J, Kim M, Logan B, Alousi A, Grimley M, Bolaños-Meade J, Ho V, Levine JE, Weisdorf D. Mycophenolate Pharmacokinetics and Association with Response to Acute Graft vs Host Disease (GVHD) Treatment From the Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16 (3) :421-9, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19925875.
- Alousi AM, Uberti J, Ratanatharathorn V. The role of B cell depleting therapy in graft versus host disease after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant. Leuk Lymphoma 51 (3) :376-389, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20141428.
- Couriel DR, Saliba R, de Lima M, Giralt S, Andersson B, Khouri I, Hosing C, Ippoliti C, Shpall EJ, Champlin R, Alousi A. A phase III study of infliximab and corticosteroids for the initial treatment of acute graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15 (12) :1555-62, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19896079.
- Alousi AM, Weisdorf DJ, Logan BR, Bolanos-Meade J, Carter S, Difronzo N, Pasquini M, Goldstein SC, Ho VT, Hayes-Lattin B, Wingard JR, Horowitz MM, Levine JE. Etanercept, mycophenolate, denileukin or pentostatin plus corticosteroids for acute graft vs. host disease: a randomized phase II trial from the BMT CTN. Blood 114 (3) :511-7, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19443659.
- Tam CS, Bassett R, Ledesma C, Korbling M, Alousi A, Hosing C, Kebraei P, Harrell R, Rondon G, Giralt SA, Anderlini P, Popat U, Pro B, Samuels B, Hagemeister F, Medeiros LJ, Champlin RE, Khouri IF. Mature results of the MD Anderson Cancer Center risk-adapted transplantation strategy in mantle cell lymphoma. Blood 113 (18) :4144-52, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19168784.
- Alousi AM, Saliba RM, Okoroji GJ, Macapinlac HA, Hosing C, Korbling M, Samuels BI, Popat U, Kebriaei P, Anderlini P, Qazilbash MH, de Lima M, Giralt SA, Champlin RE, Khouri IF. Disease staging with positron emission tomography or gallium scanning and use of rituximab predict outcome for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with autologous stem cell transplantation. Br J Haematol 142 (5) :786-92, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18564354.
- Alousi A, de Lima M. Reduced-Intensity Conditioning Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 5 (7) :560-70, 2007. PMID: 17679930.
- Alousi AM, Boinpally R, Wiegand R, Parchment R, Gadgeel S, Heilbrun LK, Wozniak AJ, DeLuca P, LoRusso PM. A phase 1 trial of XK469: toxicity profile of a selective topoisomerase IIbeta inhibitor. Invest New Drugs 25 (2) :147-54, 2007. PMID: 17103044.
- Alousi A, de Lima M. Ablative Preparative Regimens. In: Stem Cell Transplantation for Hematologic and Other Disorders. 2nd. Humana Press, 2008.
- de Lima M, Alousi A, Giralt S. Preparative Regimens for Stem Cell Transplantation. In: Hematology: Basic Principals and Practice. 5th. Churchill Livingstone, 2008.
- Alousi AM, Giralt SA. Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells: Allogeneic. In: Rossi’s Principles of Transfusion Medicine. 4th. Wiley-Blackwell, 542-558, 2008.
- Alousi A. Graft-Versus-Host Disease: Prevention and Treatment / Transfusion Support. In: Supportive Care Manual for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 1st. Summit: New York, 97-138; 171-183, 2007.
- Alousi, A. Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation / Fever in the Neutropenic Patient. In: Pediatric Acute Care. 2nd. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 74-75; 82 and 84-85, 2001.
|Title:||A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multi-Center Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Orbec® (oral Beclomethasone 17,21-Dipropionate) in Conjunction with Ten Days of High-Dose Prednisone Therapy in the Treatment of Patients with Gastrointestinal Graft Vs. Host Disease|
|Funding Source:||Soligenix, Inc|
|Title:||Improving the Outcomes of Stem Cell Transplantation|