About Dr. Ng
Dr. Ng obtained her undergraduate degree in Health and Exercise Science at Wake Forest University and her Master of Public Health in Health behavior and health education and Medical Degree at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She trained as an intern at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Internal Medicine and completed fellowship training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX, where she was chief resident.
On completion of her residency training in 2012, Dr. Ng accepted an appointment to the Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She is board certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and a member of American Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.
In her current position as Assistant Professor, she maintains a strong focus on clinical care while conducting her research interests including prevention of venous thromboembolism, cancer related spinal cord injuries, quality improvement initiatives in the inpatient unit, malnutrition in cancer, and cancer survivorship education in prevention and recurrence.
Assistant Professor, Department of Palliative, Rehabilitation and Integrative Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2008||University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2003||University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, MPH, Health Behavior and Health Education|
|2000||Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, USA, BS, Health and Exercise|
|2009-2012||Clinical Residency, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX|
|2008-2009||Clinical Internship, Preliminary Internship in Internal Medicine, New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington, NC|
|2014||American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation|
Instructor, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2014
|2011||Chief Resident, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX|
|2004||Board of Governors Medical Scholar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC|
|1996||George F. Hankins Fellow, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC|
- Ng AH, Francis GJ, Sumler SS, Liu D, Bruera E. The Efficacy and Safety of Massage Therapy for Cancer Inpatients with Venous Thromboembolism. J Integrative Oncology 7(1):203, 2018.
- Ng A, Goldman L, Fu JB, OO TH, Chisholm GB, Liu DD, Bedi A, Bruera E. Frequency of venous thromboemebolism events during acute inpatient rehabilitation in a comprehensive cancer center. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 49(9), 2017. e-Pub 2017.
- Ng A, Gupta E, Fontillas R, Bansal S, Williams JL, Park M, Liu D, Fu JB, Yadav RR, Bruera E.. Patient Reported Usefulness of Acute Cancer Rehabilitation. PM & R 10(1016), 2017. PMID: 28461228.
- Ng, A. Oncologic Massage Cancer Patients with Venous Thromboembolism (VTE): A Case Series. MASCC, Adelaide, Australia, 2016.
- Fu, Jack B; Lee, Jay; Tran, Kenny B; Siangco, Christian M; Ng, Amy H; Smith, Dennis W; Bruera, Eduardo. Symptom burden and functional gains in a cancer rehabilitation unit. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 22(11):517-523, 2015.
- Ramsey MM, Ingram RL, Cashion AB, Ng AH, Cline JM, Parlow AF, Sonntag WE. Growth hormone-deficient dwarf animals are resistant to dimethylbenzanthracine (DMBA)-induced mammary carcinogenesis. Endocrinology 143(10):4139-4142, 2002. PMID: 12239127.
- Ng AH, Gupta E, Bianty J, Williams J, Bruera E. Calf Measurements Screening for Deep Vein Thrombosis in Acute Inpatient Cancer Rehabilitation. Int J Ther Rehabil 26(1). e-Pub 2019.
- Yadav R, Ngo-Huang AT, Ng A, Fu J, Bruera E. A Survey Regarding the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs of Graduates of Cancer Rehabilitation Fellowship Programs. J Cancer Education. e-Pub 2018.
- Reddy A, Ng A, Mallipeddi T, Bruera E. Levorphanol for Treatment of Intractable Neuropathic Pain in Cancer Patients. J Palliat Med. e-Pub 2018.
- Ng A, Bansal S, Liu D, Park M, William J, Fu JB, Bruera E. Usefulness of Acute Cancer Rehabilitation: Patients' Self-Reported Outcomes. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 97(10), 2016.
- Ng A. Clinical Detection of Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) using Calf Measurements in Acute Inpatient Cancer Rehabilitation. ISPRM, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2016.
- Ng A. Factors and Outcomes Associated with Venous Thromboembolism in an Acute Patient Cancer Rehabilitation Unit, Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer. Copenhagen, Denmark, 2015.
- Ng A. Return to Work in a Patient and Sacral Chordoma: A Case Study. International Society of Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine, Berlin, Germany, 2015.
- Ng A. Factors and Outcomes Associated with Venous Thromboembolism in an Acute Inpatient Cancer Rehabilitation Unit. PMR Journal AAPM&R Annual Assembly and Technical Exhibition 6, 2014.
- Ng A. Irreversible Spinal Cord Injury Following Intrathecal Chemotherapy: A Case Report. PMR Journal AAPM&R Annual Assembly, American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 5(9S):S280, 2013.
- Ng A. The Efficacy of Early Intrathecal Use of Baclofen: A Case Series, Atlanta, GA. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2012.
- Ng A. Massage Therapy in Cancer Patients with Venous Thromboembolism: A Case Series. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. e-Pub 2017.
- Ng A. Calf Measurements as Indicator for Deep Vein Thrombosis: A Quality Improvement Project. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. e-Pub 2017.
- Ng AH, Oo TH. Hematologic and Thromboembolic Complications of Cancer and its Treatment. In: Cancer Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice. 2nd edition. Demos Medical: New York, 2018.
- Gottlieb R, Mehta, P. Principles of Cancer Rehabilitation. In: Cardio-Oncology, Principles, Prevention and Management. Elsevier, 279-296, 2016.
- Ng A. Thromboembolic Disease and Prophylaxis. In: Cancer Rehabilitation (Rehabilitation Medicine Quick Reference Series). Demos Medical Publishing, 132-133, 2013.