About Dr. Bishop
Dr. Andrew Bishop is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC). Before appointment as faculty, he completed his training at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY) and MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX).
He has joint appointments in both the Sarcoma & Melanoma and the Brain & Spine Radiation Oncology section. His clinical expertise relates to the treatment of sarcomas, primary and secondary central nervous system tumors, and skin cancers using standard and specialized treatment modalities including: intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT/VMAT), proton therapy, stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), gamma knife and 3D conformal radiation (photons/electrons).
In clinical practice, he emphasizes a patient-centered approach to care providing dedicated time to each patient to tailor the treatment and experience to individual needs. His research interests include improving outcomes related to sarcomas and melanoma, the role and delivery of stereotactic radiation, and the adolescent and young adult (AYA) patient population. He has fostered strong multidisciplinary collaborations. The combination of his clinical research and interdisciplinary collaborations have led to 24 publications in peer-reviewed journals, in addition to multiple book chapters and several invited articles.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2011||Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, MD, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2007||Denison University, Granville, OH, USA, BS, Biology|
|2012-2016||Clinical Residency, Resident, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2011-2012||Clinical Internship, Intern, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Program Steering Committee, 2019 - Present
Member, ClinOps Committee, 2018 - Present
Reviewer, Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma for Clinical Stage II Extremity/Superficial Trunk Algorithm, 2018 - Present
Reviewer, Adult Primary Bone Sarcoma (High-Grade) Algorithm, 2018 - Present
Reviewer, Residency Program Review committee, 2018 - Present
Member, Faculty Senate, 2017 - Present
Member, Leptomeningeal Metastases, Clinical Effectiveness Workgroup, 2017 - Present
Member, Trainee Selection Committee, 2015 - 2016
Member, House Staff Senate, 2013 - 2014
|2015||Young Oncologist Essay Award, American Radium Society,|
|2015||The Daniel Benedict Gazan Fellowship in Sarcoma Research, MDACC|
|2015||Dr. Mary Fletcher Memorial Award for Compassionate Patient Care, MDACC|
|2012||Suzanne Munson Intern of the Year Award, MSKCC|
|2011||Chancellor’s Scholar, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2011||Marcus Ravdin M.D. Valedictorian Medal, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2010||B.T. Maxam Fellowship, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2010||Gold Humanism Honor Society, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2010||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (Junior Membership), Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2008||Kenya Slemenda Scholar, Indiana University School of Medicine|
|2007||Distinguished Leadership Award, Denison University|
|2007||Biology Department Senior Fellow, Denison University|
|2007||Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society, Denison University|
|2007||Mortar Board National Service Honor Society, Denison University|
|2007||Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society, Denison University|
|2006||Margaret Ann Watkin Award, Denison University|
|2006||Anderson Research Fellow, Denison University|
- Ning MS, Deegan BJ, Ho JC, Chapman BV, Bishop AJ, Allen PK, Tannir NM, Amini B, Briere TM, Wang XA, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Brown PD, Li J, Ghia AJ. Low incidence of late failure and toxicity after spine stereotactic radiosurgery: Secondary analysis of phase I/II trials with long-term follow-up. Radiother Oncol 138:80-85, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31252298.
- Paulino A, Bishop AJ. Timing of Local Therapy with Radiotherapy Impacts Survival in Ewing Sarcoma. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 104(1):127-136, 2019.
- Lin TA, Ludmir EB, Liao KP, McAleer MF, Grosshans DR, McGovern SL, Bishop AJ, Woodhouse KD, Paulino AC, Yeboa DN. Timing of Local Therapy Impacts Survival in Ewing Sarcoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 104(1):127-136, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30593906.
- Bishop AJ, Zarzour MA, Ratan R, Torres KE, Feig BW, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Moon BS, Roland CL, Guadagnolo BA. Long-term outcomes for patients with desmoid fibromatosis treated with radiation therapy: a 10-year update and re-evaluation of the role of radiation therapy for younger patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 103(5):1167-1174, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30552963.
- Farooqi A, Bishop AJ, Narang S, Allen PK, Li J, McAleer MF, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Amini B, Wang XA, Ghia AJ. Outcomes Following Hypofractionated Dose-Escalation using a Simultaneous Integrated Boost Technique for Treatment of Spine Metastases Not Amenable to Stereotactic Radiosurgery. Pract Radiat Oncol 9(2):e142-e148, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30385151.
- Hayenga HN, Bishop AJ, Wardak Z, Sen C, Mickey B. Intraspinal Dissemination and Local Recurrence of an Intracranial Hemangiopericytoma. World Neurosurg 123:68-75, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30503286.
- Bishop AJ, Livingston JA, Araujo DM, Moon BS, Patel S, Wang WL, Lazar AJ, Roland CL, Guadagnolo BA. Extraskeletal osteosarcomas: a case made for combined modality local therapy with radiation and surgery. Am J Clin Oncol 42(3):238-242, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30614820.
- Fonseca A, Roland C, Cormier J, Torres, K, Hunt, K, Bishop AJ, Guadagnolo, BA, Feig, B. Radiation and its Impact on Local Recurrence in Extremity & Trunk Well Differentiated Liposarcomas. The American Surgeon 85(1), 2019.
- Keung EZ, Lazar AJ, Torres KE, Wang WL, Cormier JN, Ashleigh Guadagnolo B, Bishop AJ, Lin H, Hunt KK, Bird J, Lewis VO, Patel SR, Wargo JA, Somaiah N, Roland CL. Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Checkpoint Blockade in Patients with Surgically Resectable Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma and Dedifferentiated Liposarcoma. BMC Cancer 18(1):913, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30249211.
- Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Torres KE, Bird JE, Feig BW, Guadagnolo BA. Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors: A Single Institution's Experience Using Combined Surgery and Radiation Therapy. Am J Clin Oncol 41(5):465-470, 2018. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27281262.
- Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Demicco EG, Wang WL, Feig BW, Guadagnolo BA. Soft Tissue Solitary Fibrous Tumor: Combined Surgery and Radiation Therapy Results in Excellent Local Control. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 41(1):81-85, 2018. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26270446.
- Keung EZ, Tsai JW, Ali AM, Cormier JN, Bishop AJ, Guadagnolo BA, Torres KE, Somaiah N, Hunt KK, Wargo JA, Lazar AJ, Wang WL, Roland CL. Analysis of the immune infiltrate in undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma of the extremity and trunk in response to radiotherapy: Rationale for combination neoadjuvant immune checkpoint inhibition and radiotherapy. Oncoimmunology 7(2):e1385689, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29308306.
- Bernard V, Bishop AJ, Allen PK, Amini B, Wang XA, Li J, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Brown PD, Ghia AJ. Heterogeneity in Treatment Response of Spine Metastases to Spine Stereotactic Radiosurgery Within "Radiosensitive" Subtypes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(5):1207-1215, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29029886.
- Bishop AJ, Tao R, Guadagnolo BA, Allen PK, Rebueno NC, Wang XA, Amini B, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Li J, Chang EL, Brown PD, Ghia AJ. Spine stereotactic radiosurgery for metastatic sarcoma: patterns of failure and radiation treatment volume considerations. J Neurosurg Spine 27(3):303-311, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28644075.
- Watson KL, Al Sannaa GA, Kivlin CM, Ingram DR, Landers SM, Roland CL, Cormier JN, Hunt KK, Feig BW, Ashleigh Guadagnolo B, Bishop AJ, Wang WL, Slopis JM, McCutcheon IE, Lazar AJ, Torres KE. Patterns of recurrence and survival in sporadic, neurofibromatosis Type 1-associated, and radiation-associated malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. J Neurosurg 126(1):1-11, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27035165.
- Tao R, Bishop AJ, Brownlee Z, Allen PK, Settle SH, Chang EL, Wang X, Amini B, Tannir NM, Tatsui C, Rhines LD, Brown PD, Ghia AJ. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Spinal Metastases in the Postoperative Setting: A Secondary Analysis of Mature Phase 1-2 Trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 95(5):1405-13, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27209509.
- Ghia AJ, Chang EL, Bishop AJ, Pan HY, Boehling NS, Amini B, Allen PK, Li J, Rhines LD, Tannir NM, Tatsui CE, Brown PD, Yang JN. Single-fraction versus multifraction spinal stereotactic radiosurgery for spinal metastases from renal cell carcinoma: secondary analysis of Phase I/II trials. J Neurosurg Spine 24(5):829-36, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26799117.
- Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Allen PK, Moon BS, Lin PP, Lewis VO, Guadagnolo BA. Treatment-related fractures after combined modality therapy for soft tissue sarcomas of the proximal lower extremity: Can the risk be mitigated?. Practical Radiation Oncology 6(3):194-200, 2016. PMID: 27126136.
- Pitter KL, Tamagno I, Alikhanyan K, Hosni-Ahmed A, Pattwell SS, Donnola S, Dai C, Ozawa T, Chang M, Chan TA, Beal K, Bishop AJ, Barker CA, Jones TS, Hentschel B, Gorlia T, Schlegel U, Stupp R, Weller M, Holland EC, Hambardzumyan D. Corticosteroids compromise survival in glioblastoma. Brain 139(Pt 5):1458-71, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27020328.
- Bishop AJ, Garden AS, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Beadle BM, Fuller CD, Levy LB, Gillenwater AM, Kies MS, Esmaeli B, Frank SJ, Phan J, Morrison WH. Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck: Favorable outcomes with radiotherapy. Head Neck 38 Suppl 1:E452-E458, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25645649.
- Tao R, Krishnan S, Bhosale PR, Javle MM, Aloia TA, Shroff RT, Kaseb AO, Bishop AJ, Swanick CW, Koay EJ, Thames HD, Hong TS, Das P, Crane CH. Ablative Radiotherapy Doses Lead to a Substantial Prolongation of Survival in Patients With Inoperable Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma: A Retrospective Dose Response Analysis. J Clin Oncol 34(3):219-226, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26503201.
- Bishop AJ, Gupta S, Cunningham MG, Tao R, Berner PA, Korpela SG, Ibbott GS, Lawyer AA, Crane CH. Interstitial Brachytherapy for the Treatment of Locally Recurrent Anorectal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 22 Suppl 3:S596-S602, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25905584.
- Bishop AJ, Ensor J, Moulder SL, Shaitelman SF, Edson MA, Whitman GJ, Bishnoi S, Hoffman KE, Stauder MC, Valero V, Buchholz TA, Ueno NT, Babiera G, Woodward WA. Prognosis for patients with metastatic breast cancer who achieve a no-evidence-of-disease status after systemic or local therapy. Cancer 121(24):4324-4332, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26348887.
- Tang C, Hess K, Bishop AJ, Pan HY, Christensen EN, Yang JN, Tannir N, Amini B, Tatsui C, Rhines L, Brown P, Ghia A. Creation of a Prognostic Index for Spine Metastasis to Stratify Survival in Patients Treated With Spinal Stereotactic Radiosurgery: Secondary Analysis of Mature Prospective Trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 93(1):118-125, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26130231.
- Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Torres KE, Hunt KK, Cormier JN, Feig BW, Guadagnolo BA. Combined Modality Management of Retroperitoneal Sarcomas: A Single-Institution Series of 121 Patients. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 93(1):158-165, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26130233.
- Bishop AJ, Tao R, Rebueno NC, Christensen EN, Allen PK, Wang XA, Amini B, Tannir NM, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Li J, Chang EL, Brown PD, Ghia AJ. Outcomes for Spine Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy and an Analysis of Predictors of Local Recurrence. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92(5):1016-1026, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26025777.
- Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Moon BS, Lin PP, Lewis VO, Guadagnolo BA. Combined Limb-Sparing Surgery and Radiation Therapy to Treat Sarcomas of the Hands and Feet: Long-Term Cancer Outcomes and Morbidity. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 92(5):1060-1068, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26194681.
- Awan M, Dyer BA, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Bongers E, Dahele M, Yang J, Walker GV, Thaker NG, Holliday E, Bishop AJ, Thomas CR, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Auto-segmentation of the brachial plexus assessed with TaCTICS - a software platform for rapid multiple-metric quantitative evaluation of contours. Acta Oncol 54(4):557-560, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25279958.
- Sellin JN, Reichardt W, Bishop AJ, Suki D, Rhines LD, Settle SH, Brown PD, Li J, Rao G, Chang EL, Tatsui CE. Factors affecting survival in 37 consecutive patients undergoing de novo stereotactic radiosurgery for contiguous sites of vertebral body metastasis from renal cell carcinoma. J Neurosurg Spine 22(1):52-59, 2015. PMID: 25360530.
- Bishop AJ, Allen PK, Klopp AH, Meyer LA, Eifel PJ. Relationship between low hemoglobin levels and outcomes after treatment with radiation or chemoradiation in patients with cervical cancer: has the impact of anemia been overstated?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 91(1):196-205, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25446609.
- Bishop AJ, Greenfield B, Mahajan A, Paulino AC, Okcu MF, Allen PK, Chintagumpala M, Kahalley LS, McAleer MF, McGovern SL, Whitehead WE, Grosshans DR. Proton beam therapy versus conformal photon radiation therapy for childhood craniopharyngioma: multi-institutional analysis of outcomes, cyst dynamics, and toxicity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(2):354-361, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25052561.
- Barker CA, Bishop AJ, Chang M, Beal K, Chan TA. Valproic acid use during radiation therapy for glioblastoma associated with improved survival. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 86(3):504-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23523186.
- Bishop AJ, McDonald MW, Chang AL, Esiashvili N. Infant brain tumors: incidence, survival, and the role of radiation based on Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Data. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 82(1):341-7, 2012. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21035954.
- Yeboa DN, Liao KP, Guadagnolo BA, Rao G, Bishop A, Chung C, Li J, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Ferguson S, Paulino AC, Ghia AJ. National Patterns of Care in the Management of World Health Organization Grade II and III Spinal Ependymomas. World Neurosurg 124. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30641236.
- Bishop AJ. Patient-reported Quality of Life and Satisfaction with Cosmetic Outcomes after Breast Conservation and Mastectomy with and without Reconstruction. Breast Diseases: A Yearbook Quarterly 27(3), 2016.
- Bishop AJ. US Breast Cancer Mortality Trends in Young Women According to Race. Breast Diseases: A Yearbook Quarterly 26(4):291-292, 2015.
- Bishop A.J Tyrosine Phosphorylation of Trio by Abelson Tyrosine Kinase. Denison University Honors Thesis, 2007.
- Bishop AJ, Guadagnolo BA.. “Sarcoma.”. In: Pocket Radiation Oncology, 2014.
- Bishop, A.J. and Mahajan, A. “Craniopharyngioma.”. In: Radiation Oncology: A Question-Based Review. 2nd Edition. B. Hristov, S.H. Lin, and J.P. Christoudouleas (Eds.): Wolters Kluwer: Philadelphia:, 67-70, 2014.
- Bishop, A.J. and Mahajan. “Brainstem Glioma.”. In: Radiation Oncology: A Question-Based Review. 2nd Edition. B. Hristov, S.H. Lin, and J.P. Christoudouleas (Eds.),: Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 74-76, 2014.
- Bishop, A.J. and McGovern, S. “Low-grade Glioma.”. In: Radiation Oncology: A Question-Based Review. 2nd Edition. . B. Hristov, S.H. Lin, and J.P. Christoudouleas (Eds.),: Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 81-86, 2014.
- Bishop, A.J. and McGovern, S. “Optic Pathway Glioma.”. In: Radiation Oncology: A Question-Based Review. 2nd Edition. B. Hristov, S.H. Lin, and J.P. Christoudouleas (Eds.): Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 94-95, 2014.