About Dr. Fadol
Dr. Anecita P. Fadol received her diploma in nursing with honors from the CLMMH School of Nursing, and her bachelor of science in nursing from Riverside College, Bacolod City, Philippines. She completed her Master of Science in Nursing with honors in Critical Care Nursing from the University Of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, and received her Family Nurse Practitioner and Doctor of Philosophy at Texas Woman's University, Houston, Texas.
Dr. Fadol was the supervisor of the Critical Care Nursing Residency program, and Clinical Nurse Specialist of the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit at The Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas. After completing the Family Nurse Practitioner Program, she was coordinator of the Heart Failure Program at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, the largest managed care system in Houston, Texas. Her research focus is symptom management of patients with cancer and heart failure. Dr. Fadol led the development and validation of the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory- Heart Failure (MDASI-HF) instrument for symptom assessment. She is coordinator of the “Heart Success Program,” a collaborative, interdisciplinary program for the management of patients with cancer and heart failure. She is a recipient of the Oncology Nursing Society Nursing Research Fellowship award and was inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. She is the editor of the “Cardiac Complications of Cancer Therapy,” the first nursing reference textbook for patients with cancer and concurrent cardiac problems.
Symptom Management of Patients with Cancer and Concurrent Heart Failure
Treatment of Heart Failure and Cessation of Therapy
Pro-inflammatory biomarkers and cancer-related fatigue
|2006||Texas Woman’s University, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Nursing|
|1997||Texas Woman’s University, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Family Nurse Practitioner|
|1989||The University of Texas School of Nursing, Houston, TX, USA, MSN, Nursing (Critical Care)|
|1977||Riverside College, Negros Occidental, PHL, BSN, Nursing|
|1975||C.L.M. Memorial Hospital, Negros Occidental, PHL, RN, Nursing with Honors|
|2000||American Association of Critical Care Nurses Certification Corporation|
|1998||American Nurses Credentialing Center|
Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2018
Adjunct Faculty Clinical Instructor, Texas Woman’s University School of Nursing, Houston, TX, 1991 - 1993
Nursing Advisory Board – Herceptin, Genentech, Houston, TX, 2008 - Present
Nursing Advisory Board, Glaxo Smith Kline, Houston, TX, 2007 - Present
Speaker’s Bureau, Scios Pharmaceutical, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2007
Speaker’s Bureau, Novartis Pharmaceutical, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2009
Visiting Nurse Faculty, Glaxo Smith Kline, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2009
Speaker’s Bureau, Glaxo Smith Kline, Houston, 2001 - 2008
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Survivorship Research Advisory Committee, 2011 - Present
Member, Clinical Research Committee (CRC), 2011 - 2017
- Ewer MS, Swain SM, Cardinale D, Fadol A, Suter TM. Cardiac dysfunction after cancer treatment. Tex Heart Inst J 38(3):248-52, 2011. PMID: 21720462.
- Fadol A, Lech T. Cardiovascular Complications of Cancer Therapy. Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology 2(4):229-242, 2011.
- Fadol A, Bickford C, Lech T,Yusuf S. Pregnancy in a Patient with Cancer and Heart Failure: Challenges and Complexities. Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology 3(2):85-93, 2011.
- Fadol A. Management of acute decompensated heart failure in patients with cancer. Clin J Oncol Nurs 10(6):731-6, 2006. PMID: 17193940.
- Fadol A, Lenihan D. Broken heart. A case study of acute decompensated heart failure, plus a practical review of current recommendations. The Hospitalist:21-24, 2006.
- Fadol A. Heart Failure in the Elderly Patient with Cancer. Nurse Investigator, 2005.
- Lewis P, Nichols E, Mackey G, Fadol A, Sloane L, Villagomez E, Liehr P. The effect of turning and backrub on mixed venous oxygen saturation in critically ill patients. Am J Crit Care 6(2):132-40, 1997. PMID: 9172850.
- Fadol A. Critical Care Nursing in the Former USSR. Nurselink, 1996.
- Fadol A. Critical Care Nursing Residency Program Goes International. Nursing Avenues, 1993.
- Lewis P, Teinert DG, Fadol A, Seidel J, Quint L, Zimmerman T, Hamilton M. Successful educational/developmental strategies used in a critical care residency program. Crit Care Nurse 12(5):106-8, 111, 115 passim, 1992. PMID: 1597056.
- Lange SS, Prevost S, Lewis P, Fadol A. Infection control practices in cardiac transplant recipients. The Research Committee, Houston-Gulf Coast Chapter of the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. Heart Lung 21(2):101-5, 1992. PMID: 1544802.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Fadol A. Heart Success for Cancer Patients -A DVD for patient education, 2011.
- Fadol A, et al. Heart Success: A Resource Guide for Individuals Living with Cancer and Heart Failure (1st Edition), 2008.
- Fadol A, Banchs J, Hassan S, Durand JB, Shelton VD, Fellman B, Yeh ET. Can Medications Be Safely Withdrawn in Patients With Chemotherapy-induced Heart Failure With Recovered Heart Function?. J Card Fail 20(8 Suppl):S5, 2014. PMID: 25107131.
- Fadol A, Mendoza T, Shah P, Cleeland C,. Heart Failure in Cancer: Is Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) Feasible for Symptom Management?. Journal of Cardiac Failure 17(8):S98, 2011.
- Fadol A, Mendoza T, Gning I, Kernicki J, Symes L, Cleeland CS, Lenihan D. Psychometric testing of the MDASI-HF: a symptom assessment instrument for patients with cancer and concurrent heart failure. J Card Fail 14(6):497-507, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18672198.
- Shaik N, Yusuf S, Woods M, Fadol A, Tong A, Rozner M, Swafford J, Champion C, Lenihan D, Durand B. Cancer Patients with Pre-Existing Heart Failure: Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Provides a Bridge to Treatment of Highly Treatable Tumors. Journal of Cardiac Failure 12(6), 2006.
- Fadol A, Mendoza T, Gning I, Kernicki J, Symes, Cleeland C, Lenihan. Reliability and validity testing of the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory- Heart Failure (MDASI-HF): A pilot study of an evaluative instrument for symptom identification in heart failure patients with concurrent cancer. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 2006.
- Fadol A. Psychosocial Considerations of Heart Disease in a Cancer Patient. In: Cancer and the Heart. 2nd. BC Decker: Hamilton, 2013.
- Fadol A. Heart Failure in a patient with Cancer. In: Cardiac Complications of Cancer Therapy,: Pittsburgh, 2013.
- Woods M, Lech T, Fadol A. Hypertension in Patients with Cancer. In: Cardiac Complications of Cancer Therapy: Philadelphia, 2013.
- Fadol A, Woods M. Psychosocial considerations and nonpharmacologic management of the cancer patient with heart failure. In: Cancer and the Heart. BC Decker: Hamilton, 2006.
- Fadol A. Assessment of Endocrine Function. In: Dolan’s Critical Care Nursing: Clinical Management through the Nursing Process. 2nd. F.A. Davis Company: Philadelphia, 1996.
- Fadol A. General Features of the Endocrine System. In: Dolan’s Critical Care Nursing: Clinical Management through the Nursing Process. F.A. Davis Company: Philadelphia, 1996.
Books (edited and written)
- Fadol A. Cardiac Complications of Cancer Therapy. Oncology Nursing Society: Pittsburgh, 2013.
|Title:||REcovery of Left Ventricular Dysfunction in CAncer Patients (RECAP trial)|
|Funding Source:||The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Cancer Survivorship Research Seed Money Grant|
|Title:||Cancer Patients with Heart Failure: A Retrospective Review for Eligibility for Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CAPTURE-CRT)|
|Funding Source:||Medtronic Inc|
|Title:||Comparison of 10 ml and 5 ml Room Temperature Injectate on Cardiac Output Measurements|
|Funding Source:||American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Houston Gulf Coast Chapter|
|Title:||Reliability and Validity Testing of The MD Anderson Symptom Management Inventory-Heart Failure (MDASI-HF): An Evaluative Instrument for Symptom Identification in Cancer Patients with Heart Failures|
|Funding Source:||Houston Area Nurse Practitioners|
|Title:||Symptom Management in Patients with Cancer and Heart Failure|
|Funding Source:||Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Research Fellowship Award|