About Dr. Ying
Anita Ying, M.D., M.B.A. is an Associate Professor in Endocrinology and Pediatric Endocrinology at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. She received her B.A. in Sociology from Rice University and her M.D. from Duke University. She completed a residency in Internal Medicine/Pediatrics at Duke and a fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology at Baylor College of Medicine and MD Anderson Cancer Center. She joined MD Anderson as faculty in 2008. She completed her Executive MBA with Healthcare specialization at Rice University in May 2013, and received the Jones Scholar Award.
Dr. Ying provides clinical care as the primary oncologic endocrinologist for children and adults with endocrine tumors, such as thyroid cancer, pituitary tumors, and genetic endocrine tumor syndromes. She also sees MD Anderson cancer patients who develop endocrine complications from their cancer treatment. Dr. Ying believes in the importance of patients and their families participating in treatment decisions as a partnership with their provider teams.
As Vice President of the Ambulatory Medical Practice, she oversees with her administrative partner the clinical operations of the outpatient enterprise on the Texas Medical Center campus and the Houston Area Locations. Dr. Ying strives to create a safe, quality, and efficient experience for patients, staff, and providers.
Dr. Ying serves on the board for the San Jose Clinic, a safety net clinic that provides medical, dental, and pharmacy care for the uninsured. Dr. Ying is also faculty advisor for MD Anderson’s Institute for Cancer Care Innovation (ICCI), building on the work of Michael Porter’s principles of value-based health care delivery, focusing on defining the outcomes for cancer patients and costs of care. She has written numerous book chapters, articles, and clinical reviews on the care for adults and children with inherited endocrine tumor syndromes and thyroid cancer.
Associate Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2013||Rice University, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business, Houston, TX, USA, MBA, Healthcare Specialization|
|1999||Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1994||Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, BA, Sociology|
|2004-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2003||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|1999-2000||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC|
|2008||Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism|
Assistant Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2015
Assistant Professor, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2015
Co-Chief Resident and Associate in Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, 2003 - 2004
Assistant Chief Resident in Internal Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, 2002 - 2002
Endocrine Center Patient Experience Officer, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - 2018
Executive Medical Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Clinical Medical Director, Department of Endocrine Center, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2018
Quality Officer, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2018
One Connect/EPIC SuperUser, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Chair, Student Engagement Committee, Jones Partners Board, Rice Business, Houston, TX, 2015 - Present
Executive Committee Member, San Jose Clinic, Board of Directors, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Chair, Program Services Board Committee, San Jose Clinic, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Member, Board of Directors, The Stanley J. Sarnoff Endowment for Cardiovascular Science, Great Falls, VA, 2010 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Real-time Locating System (RTLS) Strategic Initiative, 2015 - 2018
Faculty Sponsor, Financial Clearance Center Steering Committee, 2015 - 2017
Faculty Leader, Procedural Software Leadership Team, 2014 - 2017
Faculty Leader, Time Driven Activity Based Costing Software Team, 2014 - 2016
Member, One Connect/EPIC Intergrated Clinical Team, 2014 - 2016
Member, Faculty Recognition Plan Work Group, 2013 - 2014
Faculty Associate, Institute for Cancer Care Innovation, 2013 - Present
Co-Chair, Strategic Assessment of Clinical Programs Steering Committee, 2011 - 2013
Member, Expense Analysis Clinical Operations Subcommittee, 2011 - 2011
Member, Physician Relations Advisory Board, 2011 - Present
|2013||Jones Scholar Award, Rice University Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business|
|2012||Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, Association to Advance Collegiate School of Business|
|1997||The Stanley J. Sarnoff Cardiovascular Scientific Science Fellowship|
|1997||Four Schools Physician-Scientist Fellowship|
- Dadu R, Hu MI, Cleeland C, Busaidy NL, Habra M, Waguespack SG, Sherman SI, Ying A, Fox P, Cabanillas ME. The efficacy of the natural clay, Calcium Aluminosilicate Anti-Diarrheal (CASAD), in reducing medullary thyroid cancer-related diarrhea and its effects on quality of life: a pilot study. Thyroid 25(10):1085-90, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26200040.
- Lairmore TC, Diesen D, Goldfarb M, Milas M, Ying AK, Sharma J, McIver B, Wong RJ, Randolph G, AACE Endocrine Surgery Scientific Committee. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS AND AMERICAN COLLEGE OF ENDOCRINOLOGY DISEASE STATE CLINICAL REVIEW: TIMING OF MULTIPLE ENDOCRINE NEOPLASIA THYROIDECTOMY AND EXTENT OF CENTRAL NECK LYMPHADENECTOMY. Endocr Pract 21(7):839-47, 2015. PMID: 26172129.
- Feng L, Busaidy N, Cote GJ, Gagel RF, Hu MI, Jimenez C, Lee JE, Perrier N, Sherman SI, Waguespack SG, Ying AK, Grubbs EG. Prevalence by Age and Predictors of Medullary Thyroid Cancer in Patients with Lower Risk Germline RET Proto-Oncogene Mutations. Thyroid 24(7):1096-106, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24617864.
- Dadu R, Devine C, Hernandez M, Waguespack SG, Busaidy NL, Hu MI, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Sellin RV, Ying AK, Cote GJ, Sherman SI, Cabanillas ME. Role of Salvage Targeted Therapy in Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Patients Who Failed First-Line Sorafenib. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99(6):2086-94, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24628550.
- Dadu R, Waguespack SG, Sherman SI, Hu MI, Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Ying AK, Bassett RL, Cabanillas ME. Efficacy and Tolerability of Different Starting Doses of Sorafenib in Patients with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Oncologist 19(5):477-82, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24733667.
- Morris LF, Waguespack SG, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Lee JE, Rich TA, Ying AK, Warneke CL, Evans DB, Perrier ND, Grubbs EG. Ultrasonography Should Not Guide the Timing of Thyroidectomy in Pediatric Patients Diagnosed with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndrome 2A through Genetic Screening. Ann Surg Oncol 20(1):53-9, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22890595.
- Carhill AA, Cabanillas ME, Jimenez C, Waguespack SG, Habra MA, Hu M, Ying A, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Gagel RF, Sherman SI, Busaidy NL. The Noninvestigational Use of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors in Thyroid Cancer: Establishing a Standard for Patient Safety and Monitoring. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98(1):31-42, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23185034.
- Morris LF, Waguespack SG, Warneke CL, Ryu H, Ying AK, Anderson BJ, Sturgis EM, Clayman GL, Lee JE, Evans DB, Grubbs EG, Perrier ND. Long-term follow-up data may help manage patient and parent expectations for pediatric patients undergoing thyroidectomy. Surgery 152(6):1165-71, 2012. PMID: 23158186.
- Ying AK, Lairson DR, Giardino AP, Bondy ML, Zaheer I, Haymond MW, Heptulla RA. Predictors of direct costs of diabetes care in pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes 12(3 Pt 1):177-82, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20807368.
- Grubbs EG, Waguespack SG, Rich TA, Xing Y, Ying AK, Evans DB, Lee JE, Perrier ND. Do the recent American Thyroid Association (ATA) Guidelines accurately guide the timing of prophylactic thyroidectomy in MEN2A?. Surgery 148(6):1302-10, 2010. PMID: 21134565.
- Waguespack SG, Rich T, Grubbs E, Ying AK, Perrier ND, Ayala-Ramirez M, Jimenez C. A current review of the etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of pediatric pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95(5):2023-37, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20215394.
- Ying AK, Hassanain HH, Roos CM, Smiraglia D, Issa JP. Methylation of the Estrogen Receptor-alpha Gene Promoter is Selectively Increased in proliferating human aortic smooth Muscle Cells. Cardiovascular Research 46:172-79, 2000.
- Jasim S, Ying AK, Waguespack SG, Rich TA, Grubbs EG, Jimenez C, Hu MI, Cote G, Habra MA. Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 2B with a RET Proto-Oncogene A883F Mutation Displays a More Indolent Form of Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Compared with a RET M918T Mutation. Thyroid 21(2):189-92. e-Pub 2010.
- Dadu R, Shah K, Busaidy NL, Waguespack SG, Habra MA, Ying AK, Hu MI, Bassett R, Jimenez C, Sherman SI, Cabanillas ME. Efficacy and Tolerability of Vemurafenib in Patients with BRAFV600E -Positive Papillary Thyroid Cancer: M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Off Label Experience. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 100(1):E77-81, 2015. PMID: 25353071.
- Hu MI, Ying AK, Jimenez C. Update on Medullary Thyroid Cancer. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 43(2):423–442, 2014. PMID: 24891170.
- Ying AK, Huh W, Bottomley S, Evans D, Waguespack S.. Thyroid Cancer in Young Adults. Semin Oncol 36(3):258-74, 2009. PMID: 19460583.
- Ying AK, Samson, SL New Onset Hirsutism and Virilization in a Post-Menopausal Woman. MD Consult Grand Rounds in Endocrinology, 2007.
- Waguespack SG, Ying AK. Pheochromocytoma and Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndromes. In: Pediatric Endocrinology. 4th, 2014.
- Waguespack SG, Bauer AJ, Huh W, and Ying AK. Endocrine Tumors. In: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Endocrinology. 6th. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2010.