Anusha S Thomas, M.D.
Department of Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition, Division of Internal Medicine
About Dr. Anusha S Thomas
Dr. Thomas graduated with honors from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, India. She also received the gold medal and honors for scoring the first rank in Pathology and Internal Medicine during her medical school training. Thereafter, she proceeded to complete medical electives at the University of Minnesota in Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Cardiology. Following this, she received superior clinical training and experience in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas. Additionally, she gained valuable skill and experience in managing patients with Crohn’s Disease, and Ulcerative Colitis with or without serious complications at a tertiary IBD practice for three years. Since joining the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center as a clinical faculty and Assistant Professor in the Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, she has recognized the dearth in knowledge in the role of the gut microbiome on GI inflammation and its management in an immunocompromised cancer population, a field that remains to be explored in depth.
She works closely with the Fecal Microbiota Transplantation Medicine induced colitis and enteritis programs in the Department of Internal Medicine on immunotherapy induced luminal GI toxicities and has made accomplishments in clinical research that include published journal papers and conference presentations. She has also made a significant contribution to the MD Anderson institutional guideline for Evaluation and Management of Suspected Immune-Mediated Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Injury. She is a part of the immunotherapy toxicity working group in the department of Medicine and is committed to caring for patients with complications related to novel immunotherapy for advanced malignancies. She also is fascinated with to the role of the human microbiome in gut inflammation. In particular, she is focused on studying and recognizing somatic mutations and consequent clonal expansions in normal colorectal epithelium as influenced by diet and the gut microbiome as some of the earliest events that set nascent cancers along particular trajectories that ultimately will provide for or thwart therapeutic interventions thereby potentially providing game-changing insights into early CRC.
While her research interest includes gut inflammation and the microbiome, she is skilled in recognizing and evaluating varied gastrointestinal pathology in conjunction with colorectal cancer screening and prevention. She strives to apply MD Anderson’s core values of Caring, Integrity and Discovery every day, always placing her patients first so as to provide the best patient care and experience- Winner of Patient Experience Award West Houston Endoscopy 2020.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepat,& Nutr, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2012||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, IND, MD, Pathology and General Medicine|
|2016-2019||Clinical Fellowship, Gastroenterology, Underwood Center for Digestive Disorders - Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX|
|2013-2016||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine Residency, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX|
|2011-2011||Medical Electives, Cardiology, University of Minnesota Medical Center - Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN|
|2011-2011||Medical Electives, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Minnesota Medical Enter - Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN|
|2016||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Experience & Service
Chief Fellow, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX, 2018 - 2019
GI Fellow, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2018
Internal Medicine Resident, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2016
Resident Intern, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Division of Education & Training Academic Review Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, GHN Faculty Recruitment Search Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, West Houston Quality and Safety Committee, 2019 - Present
Liaison, Women and Minority Faculty Inclusion, 2019 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2015||Regional and State Level American College of Physicians Oral Presentation Winner, American College of Physicians|
|2009||Certificate of Merit for Academic Excellence, Final Year Part II MBBS University Examination|
|2008||Certificate of Merit for Academic Excellence, Final Year Part I MBBS University Examination|
|2007||Certificate of Merit for Academic Excellence, Second MBBS University Examination|
|2006||Kassel Education Scholarship Award, University of Kassel|
|2006||Sir Ratan Tata Trust Scholarship, Sir Ratan Tata Trust|
|2005||Certificate of Merit for Academic Excellence, First MBBS University Examination|
|2005||Bishop Scholarship Award, Bishop|
|2003||Sandeep Shetty Memorial Scholarship, Sandeep Shetty Memorial Endowment|
|2003||Srimathi Gangamma Ammananaya Memorial Endowment, Little Rock Indian School|
|2003||Certificate of Merit, All India Secondary School Examination|
|2003||Dr. B. Vasantha Shetty Memorial Endowment, All Indian Secondary School Examination|
- Ali H, Khurana S, Ma W, Peng Y, Jiang ZD, DuPont H, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Okhuysen P, Wang Y. Safety and Efficacy of Fecal Microbiota Transplantation to treat and prevent recurrent Clostridioides difficile in Cancer Patients. J Cancer 12(21):6498-6506, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34659541.
- Jacob JS, Dutra BE, Garcia-Rodgriguez V, Panneerselvam K, Abraham FO, Zou F, MA W, Grivas P, Thompson JA, Altan M, Glitza IC, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y.. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Oral Mucositis Associated with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in Patients with Cancer. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2021. e-Pub 2021.
- Ma W, Gong Z, Abu-Sbeih H, Peng Y, Peng F, Zou F, Charabaty A, Okhuysen PC, McQuade JL, Altan M, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Outcomes of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-related Diarrhea or Colitis in Cancer Patients With Superimposed Gastrointestinal Infections. Am J Clin Oncol 44(8):402-408, 2021. PMID: 34107499.
- Khurana S, Abu-Sbeih H, Ma W, Qiao W, Foo WC, Richards DM, Thomas AS, Khan A, Zhang HC, Wang Y. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Eosinophilic Colitis in Patients With Cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 44(8):395-401, 2021. PMID: 34091476.
- Ma W, Gong Z, Abu-Sbeih H, Peng Y, Peng F, Zou F, Charabaty A, Okhuysen P, McQuade J, Altan M, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Outcome of immune checkpoint inhibitor-related Diarrhea or Colitis in Cancer Patients with Superimposed Gastrointestinal Infections. Am J Clin Oncol, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34107499.
- Zhou F, Wang X, Glitza IC, McQuade JL, Wang J, Zhang HC, Thompson JA, Thomas AS, Wang Y.. Fecal calprotectin concentration to assess endoscopic and histologic remission in patients with cancer with immune-mediated diarrhea and colitis. J Immunother Cancer 9(1), 2021. e-Pub 2021.
- Panneerselvam K, Goyal S, Shirwaikar Thomas A.. Ileo-colonic lymphoma: presentation, diagnosis, and management. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 37(1):52-58. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33105251.
- Panneerselvam K, Amin RN, Wei D, Tan D, Lum PJ, Zhang HC, Richards DM, Altan M, Grivas P, Thompson JA, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Clinicopathologic Features, Treatment Response, and Outcomes of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Related Esophagitis. J Natl Compr Canc Netw:1-9. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34102607.
- Zou F, Abu-Sbeih H, Ma W, Peng Y, Qiao W, Wang J, Shah AY, Glitza Oliva IC, Piha-Paul SA, Thompson JA, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Association of Chronic Immune-Mediated Diarrhea and Colitis With Favorable Cancer Response. J Natl Compr Canc Netw:1-9. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33316767.
- Thomas AS, Criss ZK, Shroyer NF, Abraham BP.. Vitamin D Receptor Gene Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms and Association with Vitamin D Levels and Endoscopic Disease Activity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients: A Pilot Study. Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33165606.
- Shirwaikar Thomas A, Duran A, Abraham BP. Correlation of menstrual distress to severity of gastrointestinal symptoms in inflammatory bowel disease patients. Indian J Gastroenterol. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32960406.
- Amin R, Thomas AS, Khurana S, Panneerselvam K, Zou F, Ma W, Chari ST, Wang Y. Management of Immune-Related Colitis During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Inflamm Bowel Dis 26(10):e110-e111, 2020. PMID: 32812047.
- Peng Y, Thomas AS, Wei D, Tan D, Wang Y. An Aggressive Approach Toward a Case of Refractory Ulcerative Colitis With Uncertain Etiology in the Context of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Inflamm Bowel Dis 26(4):e26-e27, 2020. PMID: 32016290.
- Thomas AS, Ro JY, Ergun GA. "Doctor, I Just Can't Seem to Swallow!". Gastroenterology 157(4):938-939, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31158370.
- Shirwaikar Thomas A, Schwartz M, Quigley E. Gastrointestinal lymphoma: the new mimic. BMJ Open Gastroenterol 6(1):e000320, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31645987.
- Thomas AS, Schwartz MR, Neshatian L. A Rare Cause of an Upper Gastrointestinal Bleed. Gastroenterology 155(1):e3-e4, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29102618.
- Thomas AS, Estep J, Victor DW. Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt for Refractory Variceal Bleeding in a Patient with a Left Ventricular Assist Device. ACG Case Rep J 5:e11, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29430470.
- Thomas AS, Perez JA. Complications of Varicella Zoster Infection of the Central Nervous System. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 13(2):76-77, 2017. PMID: 28740587.
- Thomas A, Quigley EM. Diet and irritable bowel syndrome. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 31(2):166-71, 2015. PMID: 25612261.
- Aderinto-Adike A, Hannawi B, Thomas A, Nowbakht C, Varon J. Painful skin lesions and bloody diarrhea. Crit Care and Shock(18):3-4, 2015.
- Schutt RC, Bibawy J, Elnemr M, Lehnert AL, Putney D, Thomas AS, Barker CM, Pratt CM. Case report: Severe hypercalcemia mimicking ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 10(3):193-7, 2014. PMID: 25574349.
- Thomas AS, Varughese P, Shirwaikar A, Shirwaikar A.. Herb - Drug Interactions: A Review. Hygeia - Journal for Drugs & Medicines(4):2, 2012.
- Abu-Sbeih H, Tang T, Ali FS, Ma W, Dongguang Wei D, Tan D, Tang C, Richards DM, Ge PS, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Clinical Features and Management of Acute and Chronic Radiation-induced Colitis and Proctopathy.
- Abreo M, Eyada M, Issac AG, Abraham F, Jacob JS, Wang Y, Chari S, Yedururi S, Thomas AS. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Induced (Type 3) Autoimmune Pancreatitis: Clinical Profile and Natural History Based on Serial Pancreas Volumetry. Digestive Disease Week 2022. e-Pub 2022.
- Thomas AS, Yedururi S, Eyada M, Wang Y, Chari S. Symptomatic Type 3 auto- immune pancreatitis/immune checkpoint inhibitor pancreas injury (ICI-PI) leads to chronic pancreatic injury. APA 2021 Annual Meeting, 2021.
- Thomas AS, McQuade J, Altan M, Wang Y. IL12/23 Blockade Therapy for Refractory Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Colitis: A Case Series. ACG 2021, 2021.
- Thomas AS, Halsey T, Jiang ZD, DuPont H, Jenq R, Wang Y. Microbiome Alteration via Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT) Is Effective for Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor (ICI) Induced-Colitis (IMC) Refractory to Immunosuppressive Therapy. ACG 2021, 2021.
- Thomas AS, Wang Y. Checkpoint Inhibitor-Induced Colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 115(8):1301-1302, 2020. PMID: 32756260.
- Thomas AS, Oglat A, Araujo-Gutierrez R, Nguyen DT, Graviss EA, Trachtenberg B, Victor D,. Gastrointestinal Amyloidosis Does Not Impact Rejection Burden After Orthoptic Heart Transplant: A Retrospective Study. American College of Gastroenterology 2018, 2018.
- Thomas AS, McFadden R,. Double Trouble: Chronic Hepatitis C and Hepatocellular Carcinoma. American College of Gastroenterology 2018, 2018.
- Thomas AS, Kwon MC, Granillo A, Quigley EM, Ergun GA,. Esophagogastric junction outflow obstruction – features, etiology and outcome in a single center experience. Time for standardization?. American College of Gastroenterology 2018, 2018.
- Thomas AS, Quigley EM, Ondo W. Plecanatide for Constipation Associated with Parkinson’s Disease: A Case Series. American College of Gastroenterology 2018, 2018.
- Thomas AS, Oglat A, Granillo A, Duran A, Abraham B,. The Association of Vitamin D and Endoscopic Disease Severity in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. American College of Gastroenterology 2018, 2018.
- Thomas AS, Ewton A, Schwartz M, Quigley E. Gastrointestinal Lymphoma: A case series illustrating its varied presentation and the role of the gastroenterologist in its assessment. American College of Gastroenterology 2017, 2017.
- Thomas AS, Divatia M, Olano J, Schwartz M, McFadden R. Murine Typhus-related Acute febrile Hepatitis:A case series. American College of Gastroenterology 2017, 2017.
- Thomas A, Fosso C, Abraham BP. Correlation of Menstrual Distress to the severity of Gastrointestinal Symptoms in inflammatory bowel disease patients. American College of Gastroenterology 2017, 2017.
- Thomas AS, Fosso C, Neshatian L. Relationship between anal pressure profiles derived from high-definition anorectal manometry and results of balloon expulsion test in patients with chronic constipation. Digestive Disease Week 2017, 2017.
- Thomas AS, Elnemr M, Abraham BP. Primary Gastrointestinal Histoplasmosis and Vedolizumab. American College of Gastroenterology 2016, 2016.
- Thomas AS, Barroso A, Schwartz M, Raza A. Benign Squamous Cyst Within An Intra- Pancreatic Spleen : A Case Report. American College of Gastroenterology 2015, 2015.
- Thomas AS, Bunin V, Powell S,. Autoimmune Hepatitis With Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis and Co-Existent Necrotizing Myopathy: A Rare Association. American College of Gastroenterology 2015, 2015.
- Thomas AS, Ogbonna M, Gilcrease-Garcia B. A stroke of the Kidney. ACP Associates Day 2015, 2015.
- Thomas AS. Something Fishy. ACP Associates Day 2015, 2015.
- Thomas AS, Charikriangkai K, Chang S, Botero S. Hepatic steatosis is independently associated with coronary atherosclerosis. American College of Gastroenterology 2014, 2014.
- Adigun R, Jhun HY, Thomas AS, Tompson M. An unexpected diagnosis of tuberculosis colitis. American College of Gastroenterology 2014, 2014.
- Panneerselvam K, Amin RN, Wei D, Tan D, Lum PJ, Zhang HC, Richards DM, Altan M, Grivas P, Thompson JA, Thomas AS, Wang Y.. Clinicopathological features, treatment response, and outcomes of immune checkpoint inhibitor-related esophagitis. ACG 2020.
- Thomas AS. Comparison of Clinical Profiles, Treatment and Outcomes of Type 1 and Type 2 Autoimmune Pancreatitis (AIP) With Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Pancreatitis, a Type 3 AIP. APA 2020 Annual Meeting.
- Zou F, Abu-Sbeih H, Ma W, Peng Y, Qiao W, Wang J, Shah AY, Glitza IC, Piha-Paul S, Thompson JA, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y. Chronic Immune-mediated Diarrhea and Colitis Is Associated with Favorable Cancer Response. ACG 2020.
- Thomas AS. Fecal microbiota transplant (FMT) for immune checkpoint inhibitor (ICI) induced–colitis (IMC) refractory to immunosuppressive therapy. ACG 2020.
- Thomas AS. Comparative Study of Vedolizumab and Infliximab Treatment in Patients with Immune-mediated Diarrhea and Colitis. ACG 2020.
- Jacob JS, Dutra BE, Garcia-Rodgriguez V, Panneerselvam K, Abraham FO, Zou F, MA W, Grivas P, Thompson JA, Altan M, Glitza IC, Zhang HC, Thomas AS, Wang Y.. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Oral Mucositis Associated with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in Patients with Cancer. ACG 2020.
- Thomas AS, Wang Y. Immunotherapy-Mediated Luminal Gastrointestinal Toxicities. In: Immunotherapy. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. Springer, Cham: Switzerland, 331-337, 2022.
- Thomas AS, Quigley EM, Ford AC. Gut Microbiota in Functional Bowel Disorders. In: WGO Handbook on Gut Microbiome: A Global Perspective, 34-40, 2021.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||The Effect of the Menstrual Cycle on IBD Symptoms|
|Funding Source:||Houston Methodist Hospital|
|Title:||Evaluation of orthotic heart transplant patients with and without amyloidosis - a retrospective chart analysis|
|Funding Source:||Houston Methodist Hospital|
|Title:||Reprospective analysis of use of anesthesia in IBD patients vs non IBD patients|
|Funding Source:||Houston Methodist Hospital|
|Title:||The role of Vitamin D receptor mutations in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases in relation to Vitamin D deficiency and response to pharmacologic therapy|
|Funding Source:||Houston Methodist Hospital|