Meet Ara Vaporciyan, M.D.
About Dr. Vaporciyan
Ara Vaporciyan is a tenured Professor of Surgery and Chairman of the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Dr. Vaporciyan began his training in 1982 at the University of Michigan where he obtained an honors degree in cellular and molecular biology then moved to medical school at the same institution. In 1989, he arrived in Houston and began his general surgery residency at The University of Texas Houston Health Science Center. Two of the next 7 years were spent back at The University of Michigan in a postdoctoral research fellowship in the Department of Pathology where he studied inflammatory mediators of lung injury.
After completing his general surgery training in 1996 he began a 2 year fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery with an emphasis in general thoracic surgical oncology at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center. He joined the faculty at MD Anderson in 1998 and has risen through the ranks to full professor.
Chairman, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Vaporciyan has maintained an active role in research throughout his tenure at M. D. Anderson. Initially involved in laboratory research Dr. Vaporciyan continued his earlier work at the Department of Pathology studying inflammatory mediators. Collaborating with scientists from anesthesiology, cardiology, pulmonology and epidemiology resulted in a number of publications examining, among other things, the role of single nucleotide polymorphisms and other genetic determinants of inflammatory mediated complications after thoracic surgery. He also developed or led a number of internal and external developed clinical trials using inflammatory modulators such as aprotinin, statins, and omega 3 fatty acids.
Mid-way through his career Dr. Vaporciyan became the program director for the newly established ACGME approved cardiothoracic training program at M. D. Anderson. This new assignment quickly grew in scope and then expanded into his research interests as well. In an effort to bring science to the field of education Dr. Vaporciyan has pursued a Master’s Degree in Health Professions Education through the University of Illinois Chicago’s Department of Medical Education. His research interests now involve the role of simulation in education, faculty development, and the integration of novel online teaching techniques in cardiothoracic surgery. His efforts have resulted in the first online learning platform that currently is the national cardiothoracic surgical curriculum for all North American Trainees. Investigations into new novel teaching and assessments techniques form the bulk of his research interest although he is still actively involved in collaborative projects focused on lung cancer and pulmonary metastases.
Dr. Vaporciyan has maintained an active role in all areas of thoracic surgical oncology. He is actively involved in the treatment of all malignancies and uses both open techniques and minimally invasive techniques for lung resection equally. While he has clinical activity in all diseases he has developed a specialized practice in the treatment of pulmonary metastases, complex pediatric thoracic malignancies, and in tumors involving cardiovascular structures. This latter area contributes nearly a third of Dr. Vaporciyan’s practice. Collaborating closely with surgeons in essentially all other surgical disciplines Dr. Vaporciyan has assisted with resections of tumors involving all vascular structures in the chest, abdomen, and extremities. For example, in combination with Dr Wood in Urology, Dr Vaporciyan has the world’s largest experience of inferior vena cava renal cell carcinoma tumor thrombi resections. Similarly, Dr. Vaporciyan spearheaded the incorporation of cardiopulmonary bypass in the resection of complex malignancies as well as the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the treatment of post-operative respiratory failure.
|1989||University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1985||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, BS, Cellular & Molecular Biology|
|2006-2016||Masters of Health Professions Education, Health Professions Education, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL|
|1996-1998||Resident, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center/Texas Heart Institute, Houston|
|1993-1996||Resident, General Surgery, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston|
|1991-1993||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Pathology, General Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor|
|1989-1991||Intern and Resident, General Surgery, General Surgery, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston|
|1999||Diplomat, American Board of Thoracic Surgery|
|1997||Diplomat, American Board of Surgery|
Deputy Chair, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2015
Director, Clinical Education & Training, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2003 - Present
Director, Cardiac & Vascular Surgical Oncology Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 2002 - Present
Director, American Board of Thoracic Surgery, Chicago, IL, 2014 - Present
Executive Committee Member, General Thoracic Surgical Club, Rochester, MN, 2013 - Present
Secretary and Treasurer, Thoracic Surgery Directors Association, Chicago, IL, 2012 - 2018
Member, ACGME Thoracic Surgery Milestone Group, Chicago, IL, 2011 - Present
Member, American College of Surgeons Patient Education Committee, Chicago, IL, 2010 - Present
Executive Council Member, Joint Council of Thoracic Surgical Education, Chicago, IL, 2009 - 2017
Chair, Joint Council for Thoracic Surgical Education: Sub-Committee on Faculty Development, Chicago, IL, 2009 - 2017
Workforce Chair, Council on Education and Member Services Operating Board, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2017
Member, Workforce on Clinical Education, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2017
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Procurement of Tissue - IRB Ad Hoc Committee, 2013 - Present
Member, CME Advisory Committee, 2008 - 2016
Member, Divisional Promotion/Tenure Committee, 2004 - 2015
Reviewer, Institutional Review Board, 2002 - 2004
|2013||Regents Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Texas|
|2009||Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors|
|2006||The Chief Resident Teaching Award, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Department of Surgery|
|2005||Honorary Speaker, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Beijing Tuberculosis & Tumor Research Institute|
|2004||Special Teaching Award, Selected by the Surgical Oncology Fellows , Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2003||Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Baylor College of Medicine Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery|
|2002||The Chief Resident Teaching Award, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Department of Surgery|
|1996||Outstanding Surgical Resident Award, The University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
- Mitchell KG, Farooqi A, Ludmir EB, Corsini EM, Zhang J, Sepesi B, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Heymach JV, Zhang J, Gomez DR, Antonoff MB. Improved overall survival with comprehensive local consolidative therapy in synchronous oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer 21(1):37-46.e7, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31447303.
- Chen Y, Zhang R, Wang L, Correa AM, Pataer A, Xu Y, Zhang X, Ren C, Wu S, Meng QH, Fujimoto J, Jensen VB, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Pisimisis G, Rice DC, Sepesi B, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Heymach JV, Fang B. Tumor characteristics associated with engraftment of patient-derived non-small cell lung cancer xenografts in immunocompromised mice. Cancer 125(21):3738-3748, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31287557.
- Mitchell KG, Ikoma N, Nelson DB, Maru DM, Erasmus JJ, Weston BR, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Sepesi B, Walsh GL, Correa AM, Das P, Blum MA, Badgwell BD, Hofstetter WL. Mediastinal Nodal Involvement After Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation For Siewert II/III Adenocarcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 108(3):845-851, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31102632.
- Nelson DB, Mehran RJ, Mitchell KG, Rajaram R, Correa AM, Bassett RL, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Roth JA, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC. Robotic Assisted Lobectomy For Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Comprehensive Institutional Experience. Ann Thorac Surg 108(2):370-376, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31004583.
- Vaporciyan AA. How to Give Effective Formative Feedback in Thoracic Surgery Education. Thorac Surg Clin 29(3):249-257, 2019. PMID: 31235293.
- Aloia L, Vaporciyan AA. E-Learning Trends and How to Apply Them to Thoracic Surgery Education. Thorac Surg Clin 29(3):285-290, 2019. PMID: 31235297.
- Nelson DB, Tam AL, Mitchell KG, Rice DC, Mehran RJ, Sepesi B, Antonoff MB, Vaporciyan AA, Hofstetter WL. Local Recurrence After Microwave Ablation of Lung Malignancies: A Systematic Review. Ann Thorac Surg 107(6):1876-1883, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30508527.
- Vaporciyan AA. "Crossing the quality chasm" in cardiothoracic surgical education. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 157(2):828, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30414771.
- Vaporciyan AA, Yang SC, Fann JI. The young surgeons' page. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 157(2):669-670, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30448165.
- Spicer JD, Shewale JB, Nelson DB, Mitchell KG, Bott MJ, Vallières E, Wilshire CL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Jones DR, Darling GE, Sepesi B. Multimodality Therapy for N2 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: An Evolving Paradigm. Ann Thorac Surg 107(1):277-284, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30227129.
- Nelson DB, Lapid DJ, Mitchell KG, Correa AM, Hofstetter WL, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Sepesi B, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Antonoff MB. Perioperative Outcomes for Stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Differences between Men and Women. Ann Thorac Surg 106(5):1499-1503, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30118712.
- Van Haren RM, Mehran RJ, Mena GE, Correa AM, Antonoff MB, Baker CM, Woodard TC, Hofstetter WL, Roth JA, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Rice DC. Enhanced Recovery Decreases Pulmonary and Cardiac Complications Following Thoracotomy for Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 106(1):272-279, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29530770.
- Nelson DB, Dhupar R, Katkhuda R, Correa A, Goltsov A, Maru D, Sepesi B, Antonoff MB, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Davila M, Davila R, Betancourt S, Ajani J, Hofstetter WL. Outcomes after endoscopic mucosal resection or esophagectomy for submucosal esophageal adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 156(1):406-413.e3, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29605441.
- Sepesi B, Ye Y, Mitchell KG, Zhang L, Gu J, Ji L, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Rice DC, Mehran RJ, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Wu X. Genetic variants in cytokine signaling pathways and clinical outcomes in early-stage lung cancer patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 155(6):2635-2645.e15, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29548588.
- Sepesi B, Nelson DB, Mitchell KG, Gibbons DL, Heymach JV, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Roszik J. Prognostic Value of PD-L1 mRNA Sequencing Expression Profile in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 105(6):1621-1626, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29510096.
- Parra ER, Villalobos P, Behrens C, Jiang M, Pataer A, Swisher SG, William WN, Zhang J, Lee J, Cascone T, Heymach JV, Forget MA, Haymaker C, Bernatchez C, Kalhor N, Weissferdt A, Moran C, Zhang J, Vaporciyan A, Gibbons DL, Sepesi B, Wistuba II. Effect of neoadjuvant chemotherapy on the immune microenvironment in non-small cell lung carcinomas as determined by multiplex immunofluorescence and image analysis approaches. J Immunother Cancer 6(1):48, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29871672.
- Nelson DB, Rice DC, Niu J, Atay SM, Vaporciyan AA, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Tsao AS, Gomez DR, Giordano SH, Mehran RJ, Sepesi B. Predictors of trimodality therapy and trends in therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 53(5):960-966, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29211849.
- Cascone T, Gold KA, Swisher SG, Liu DD, Fossella FV, Sepesi B, Pataer A, Weissferdt A, Kalhor N, Vaporciyan AA, Hofstetter WL, Wistuba II, Heymach JV, Kim ES, William WN. Induction Cisplatin Docetaxel Followed by Surgery and Erlotinib in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 105(2):418-424, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29217088.
- Ontiveros N, Eapen-John D, Osorio N, Song J, Li L, Sheshadri A, Tiang X, Ghosh N, Vaporciyan A, Correa A, Walsh G, Grosu HB, Ost DE. Predicting Lung Function Following Lobectomy: A New Method to Adjust for Inherent Selection Bias. Respiration 96(5):434-445, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30257257.
- Vaporciyan AA, Fikfak V, Lineberry MC, Park YS, Tekian A. Consensus-Derived Coronary Anastomotic Checklist Reveals Significant Variability Among Experts. Ann Thorac Surg 104(6):2087-2092, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29074155.
- Antonoff MB, Correa AM, Sepesi B, Nguyen QN, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Vaporciyan AA, Mehran RJ, Hofstetter WL, Rice DC. Salvage pulmonary resection after stereotactic body radiotherapy: A feasible and safe option for local failure in selected patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 154(2):689-699, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28495066.
- Sepesi B, Cuentes EP, Canales JR, Behrens C, Correa A, Antonoff M, Gibbons DL, Heymach J, Hofstetter W, Mehran R, Rice DC, Roth J, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh G, Weissferdt A, Kalhor N, Moran C, Swisher SG, Wistuba I. Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Overall Survival in Surgically Resected Stage II and III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):223, 2017. PMID: 28586974.
- Antonoff M, Ragalie W, Sepesi B, Roth J, Walsh G, Hofstetter W, Swisher SG, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Mehran R. Patient-Reported Symptoms: Differences Between Men and Women Following Pulmonary Resection. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(1):240, 2017. PMID: 28587019.
- Shi Q, Wang XS, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Popat KU, Cleeland CS. Patient-Reported Symptom Interference as a Measure of Postsurgery Functional Recovery in Lung Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 52(6):822-831, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27521528.
- Yang SC, Vaporciyan AA, Mark RJ, DaRosa DA, Stritter FT, Sullivan ME, Verrier ED. The Joint Council on Thoracic Surgery Education (JCTSE) "Educate the Educators" Faculty Development Course: Analysis of the First 5 Years. Ann Thorac Surg 102(6):2127-2132, 2016. PMID: 27847048.
- Antonoff MB, Verrier ED, Allen MS, Aloia L, Baker C, Fann JI, Iannettoni MD, Yang SC, Vaporciyan AA. Impact of Moodle-Based Online Curriculum on Thoracic Surgery In-Training Examination Scores. Ann Thorac Surg 102(4):1381-6, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27262911.
- Sepesi B, Schmidt HE, Lada M, Correa AM, Walsh GL, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Vaporciyan AA, Ajani JA, Watson TJ, Swisher SG, Low DE, Hofstetter WL. Survival in Patients with Esophageal Adenocarcinoma Undergoing Trimodality Therapy Is Independent of Regional Lymph Node Location. Ann Thorac Surg 101(3):1075-81, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26680311.
- Vaporciyan AA. Teaching and Learning Surgical Skill. Ann Thorac Surg 101(1):12-4, 2016. PMID: 26694260.
- Antonoff MB, Nguyen TC, Luc JGY, Fowler CS, Becker AA, Eisenberg SB, Wolf RK, Estera AL, Vaporciyan AA. A structured, debate-style cardiothoracic surgery journal club for trainee acquisition and application of seminal literature. MedEdPORTAL 12:10521, 2016.
- Rice D, Sepesi B, Heymach J, Swisher S, Vaporciyan A. SABR vs surgery for NSCLC in the media. Lancet Oncol 16(9):e422, 2015. PMID: 26370343.
- Ai D, Xu G, Feng L, Yu J, Banchs J, Vaporciyan AA, Cata JP, Outcomes Research Consortium. Dexmedetomidine Does Not Reduce Atrial Fibrillation After Lung Cancer Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 29(2):396-401, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25440618.
- Kim ES, Ye Y, Vaporciyan AA, Xing J, Huang M, Gu J, Roth JA, Lippman SM, Wu X. Telomere length and recurrence risk after curative resection in patients with early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: a prospective cohort study. J Thorac Oncol 10(2):302-8, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25299235.
- Vaporciyan AA. 50th Anniversary Landmark Commentary on Mountain CF. Assessment of the role of surgery for control of lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 1977;24:365-73. Ann Thorac Surg 99(2):385, 2015. PMID: 25639387.
- Antonoff MB, Verrier ED, Yang SC, Lin J, DeArmond DT, Allen MS, Varghese TK, Sengewald D, Vaporciyan AA. Online learning in thoracic surgical training: promising results of multi-institutional pilot study. Ann Thorac Surg 98(3):1057-63, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25085560.
- Subbiah IM, Blackmon SH, Correa AM, Kee B, Vaporciyan AA, Swisher SG, Eng C. Preoperative chemotherapy prior to pulmonary metastasectomy in surgically resected primary colorectal carcinoma. Oncotarget 5(16):6584-93, 2014. PMID: 25051371.
- Ajani JA, Xiao L, Roth JA, Hofstetter WL, Walsh G, Komaki R, Liao Z, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Maru DM, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Eid A, Yao JC, Phan AP, Halpin A, Suzuki A, Taketa T, Thall PF, Swisher SG. A phase II randomized trial of induction chemotherapy versus no induction chemotherapy followed by preoperative chemoradiation in patients with esophageal cancer. Ann Oncol 24(11):2844-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23975663.
- Vaporciyan AA, Yang SC, Baker CJ, Fann JI, Verrier ED. Cardiothoracic surgery residency training: Past, present, and future. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 146(4):759-67, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23870155.
- Cata JP, Chukka V, Wang H, Feng L, Gottumukkala V, Martinez F, Vaporciyan AA. Perioperative blood transfusions and survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a retrospective study. BMC Anesthesiol 13(1):42, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24228905.
- Blackmon SH, Stephens EH, Correa AM, Hofstetter W, Kim MP, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA. Predictors of recurrent pulmonary metastases and survival after pulmonary metastasectomy for colorectal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 94(6):1802-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23063195.
- Kim JY, Hildebrandt MA, Pu X, Ye Y, Correa AM, Vaporciyan AA, Wu X, Roth JA. Variations in the vascular endothelial growth factor pathway predict pulmonary complications. Ann Thorac Surg 94(4):1079-84; discussion 1084-5, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22795057.
- Vaporciyan AA. Who will determine the educational needs of our trainees?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144(3):532-3, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22749625.
- Amini A, Correa AM, Komaki R, Chang JY, Tsao AS, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Rice DC, Vaporciyan AA, Lin SH. The role of consolidation therapy for stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with persistent N2 disease after induction chemotherapy. Ann Thorac Surg 94(3):914-20, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22819472.
- Wagner KW, Ye Y, Lin J, Vaporciyan AA, Roth JA, Wu X. Genetic variations in epigenetic genes are predictors of recurrence in stage I or II non-small cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 18(2):585-92, 2012. PMID: 22252258.
- Hemmati SH, Correa AM, Walsh GL, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Rice DC, Mehran RJ, Vaporciyan AA. The prognostic factors of chest wall metastasis resection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 40(2):328-33, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21466960.
- Bakaeen FG, Stephens EH, Chu D, Holman WL, Vaporciyan AA, Merrill WH, Grover FL. Perceptions regarding cardiothoracic surgical training at Veterans Affairs hospitals. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141(5):1107-13, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21397273.
- Stephens EH, Blackmon SH, Correa AM, Roth JA, Rice DC, Hofstetter W, Benjamin R, Mehran R, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA. Progression after chemotherapy is a novel predictor of poor outcomes after pulmonary metastasectomy in sarcoma patients. J Am Coll Surg 212(5):821-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21435923.
- Vaporciyan AA, Reed CE, Erikson C, Dill MJ, Carpenter AJ, Guleserian KJ, Merrill W. Factors affecting interest in cardiothoracic surgery: Survey of North American general surgery residents. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137(5):1054-62, 2009. PMID: 19379966.
- Yendamuri S, Vaporciyan AA, Zaidi T, Feng L, Fernandez R, Bekele NB, Hofstetter WL, Jiang F, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Spitz MR, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Roth JA, Katz RL. 3p22.1 and 10q22.3 deletions detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): a potential new tool for early detection of non-small cell lung Cancer (NSCLC). J Thorac Oncol 3(9):979-84, 2008. PMID: 18758299.
- Katz RL, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RL, Zhang J, He W, Acosta C, Daniely M, Madi L, Vargas MA, Dong Q, Jiang XG, Caraway NP, Vaporciyan AA, Roth JA, Spitz MR. Automated detection of genetic abnormalities combined with cytology in sputum is a sensitive predictor of lung cancer. Mod Pathol 21(8):950-60, 2008. PMID: 18500269.
- Blackmon SH, Correa AM, Wynn B, Hofstetter WL, Martin LW, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Roth JA, Vaporciyan AA. Propensity-Matched Analysis of Three Techniques for Intrathoracic Esophagogastric Anastomosis. Ann Thorac Surg 83(5):1805-1813, 2007. PMID: 17462404.
- Hofstetter W, Correa AM, Bekele N, Ajani JA, Phan A, Komaki RR, Liao Z, Maru D, Wu TT, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Francis A, Blackmon S, Swisher SG. Proposed modification of nodal status in AJCC Esophageal Cancer Staging System. Ann Thorac Surg 84(2):365-375, 2007. PMID: 17643602.
- Etzel CJ, Lu M, Merriman K, Liu M, Vaporciyan AA, Spitz MR. An epidemiologic study of early onset lung cancer. Lung Cancer 52(2):129-34, 2006. PMID: 16564601.
- Vaporciyan AA, Correa AM, Rice DC, Roth JA, Smythe WR, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Putnam JB. Risk factors associated with atrial fibrillation after noncardiac thoracic surgery: Analysis of 2588 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127(3):779-86, 2004. PMID: 15001907.
- Vaporciyan AA, Rice D, Correa AM, Walsh G, Putnam JB, Swisher S, Smythe R, Roth J. Resection of advanced thoracic malignancies requiring cardiopulmonary bypass. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22(1):47-52, 2002. PMID: 12103372.
- Vaporciyan AA, Merriman KW, Ece F, Roth JA, Smythe WR, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Nesbitt JC, Putnam JB Jr. Incidence of major pulmonary morbidity after pneumonectomy: Association with timing of smoking cessation. Ann Thorac Surg 73:420-5; discussion 425-6, 2002. PMID: 11845853.
- Kassis E, Vaporciyan AA. Defining N2 disease in non-small cell lung cancer. Thoracic Surgery Clinics 18(4):333-337, 2008.
- Vaporciyan AA. Getting Cancer information from your doctor. CancerWise, 2007.
- Vaporciyan AA. Isolated lung perfusion, is it time to deal with the 800 pound gorilla?. J Surg Oncol 96(7):543-544, 2007. PMID: 17999390.
- Kim M, Vaporciyan AA. Pulmonary Resecton. In: ACS Surgery Principles and Practice. 7. D. C. Becker Inc, 2011.
- Steliga M, Patel A, Vaporciyan AA,. Management of Stage II Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and Pancoast Tumor. In: Principles and Practice. 4th. Lippincott-Williams-Wilkins: USA, 473-489, 2010.
- Steliga MA, Vaporciyan AA. Surgical Management of Pulmonary Metastases from Osteosarcoma in Pediatric and Adolescent Patients. In: Pediatric and Adolescent Osteosarcoma. Springer: USA, 185-201, 2009.
- Vaporciyan AA. Lung Cancer. In: Case Files: General Surgery. McGraw-Hill/Lange Medical Books, In press, 2007.
- Vaporciyan AA. ACS Surgery: Pulmonary Resection. In: ACS Surgery: Principles and Practice. 6. WebMD: New York, NY, 2007.
- Herrera LJ, Vaporciyan AA. Surgical Treatment of Squamous Cancer of the Esophagus. In: Advanced Therapy in Surgical Oncology. BC Decker: USA, 16-25, 2007.
- Blackmon SH, Vaporicyan AA. Special Situations: Metastasis (Lung Mets). In: Advanced Therapy in Surgical Oncology. BC Decker: USA, 720-729, 2007.