Barrett Lawson, MD
Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology-Lab Medicine Div
About Barrett Lawson
I’m an anatomic and clinical pathologist with training in gynecologic-oncologic pathology. I have a special interest in ovarian tumors, tumor biomarkers and therapy response. I routinely review difficult and challenging gynecologic pathology cases not only from surgical specimens here at MD Anderson but also from cases sent from the outside for referral and consultation. In addition to my diagnostic responsibilities, I work on multiple research projects in collaboration with colleagues in gynecologic oncology. I also work closely with our pathology fellows in educational endeavors, including routine multi-head scope review and teaching of cases.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2014||Texas A&M Health Science Center, College Station, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2010||Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX, USA, BS, Biology|
|2018-2019||Clinical Fellowship, Gynecological Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2014-2018||Clinical Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2018||American Board of Pathology, Anatomical and Clinical Pathology, Lifetime|
Experience & Service
ITB Co-Director, Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2020 - Present
Gynecologic-Oncologic Pathology Fellowship Program Evaluation Committee (PEC/CCC), MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member/Reviewer, Protocol Assessment and Review Committee (PARC) for Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, 2021 - Present
Senator, Faculty Senate, 2021 - Present
Chair, ITB Advisory Committee, 2021 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2021||Oncologic Pathology Teaching Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center: Anatomic Pathology|
|2016||Medical Education and Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching, Baylor College of Medicine|
- Euscher ED, Marques-Piubelli ML, Ramalingam P, Wistuba I, Lawson BC, Frumovitz M, Malpica A. Extrauterine Mesonephric-like Carcinoma: A Comprehensive Single Institution Study of 33 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 37026792.
- Khlebus E, Vuttaradhi VK, Welte T, Khurana N, Celestino J, Beird HC, Gumbs C, Little L, Legarreta AF, Fellman BM, Nguyen T, Lawson B, Ferri-Borgogno S, Mok SC, Broaddus RR, Gershenson DM, Futreal PA, Hillman RT. Comparative Tumor Microenvironment Analysis of Primary and Recurrent Ovarian Granulosa Cell Tumors. Mol Cancer Res:OF1-OF12. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 37068116.
- Foster KI, Flores Legarreta A, Kamat R, Handley KF, Glassman D, How JA, Lawson BC, Westin SN, Ramondetta LM, Frumovitz M, Gershenson DM, Sood AK, Hillman RT. Clinical outcomes of leuprolide acetate in the treatment of recurrent ovarian granulosa cell tumors. Am J Obstet Gynecol. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 36907533.
- Zhang X, Yao J, Niu N, Li X, Liu Y, Huo L, Euscher ED, Wang H, Bell D, Sood AK, Wang G, Lawson BC, Ramalingam P, Malpica A, Sahin AA, Ding Q, Liu J. SOX17: A Highly Sensitive and Specific Immunomarker for Ovarian and Endometrial Carcinomas. Mod Pathol 36(2):100001, 2023. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 36853778.
- Silva EG, Lawson BC, Ramalingam P, Liu J, Shehabeldin A, Marques-Piubelli ML, Malpica A. Precursors in the ovarian stroma: another pathway to explain the origin of ovarian serous neoplasms. Hum Pathol 127:136-145, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35427637.
- Zhang L, Au-Yeung CL, Huang C, Yeung TL, Ferri-Borgogno S, Lawson BC, Kwan SY, Yin Z, Wong ST, Thomas V, Lu KH, Yip KP, Sham JSK, Mok SC. Ryanodine receptor 1-mediated Ca2+ signaling and mitochondrial reprogramming modulate uterine serous cancer malignant phenotypes. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 41(1):242, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35953818.
- Lawson BC, Yang RK, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Malpica A. TP53 variant allele frequency correlates with the chemotherapy response score in ovarian/fallopian tube/peritoneal high-grade serous carcinoma. Hum Pathol 115:76-83, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34153306.
- Hillman RT, Lin DI, Lawson BC, Gershenson DM. Prevalence of predictive biomarkers in a large cohort of molecularly defined adult-type ovarian granulosa cell tumors. Gynecol Oncol 162(3):728-734, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34238613.
- Chen PP, Ramalingam P, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Euscher ED, Nagarajan P, Lawson BC, Malpica A. High-grade Neuroendocrine Carcinomas of the Vulva: A Clinicopathologic Study of 16 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol 45(3):304-316, 2021. PMID: 32826525.
- Zhong Y, Liu J, Li X, Westin SN, Malpica A, Lawson BC, Lee S, Fellman BM, Coleman RL, Sood AK, Fleming ND. A Modified 2 Tier Chemotherapy Response Score (CRS) and Other Histopathologic Features for Predicting Outcomes of Patients with Advanced Extrauterine High-Grade Serous Carcinoma after Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Cancers (Basel) 13(4), 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33572451.
- Lawson BC, Euscher ED, Bassett RL, Liu J, Ramalingam P, Zhong Y, Fleming ND, Malpica A. A 3-Tier Chemotherapy Response Score for Ovarian/Fallopian Tube/Peritoneal High-grade Serous Carcinoma: Is it Clinically Relevant?. Am J Surg Pathol 44(2):206-213, 2020. PMID: 31651523.
- Shen W, Niu N, Lawson B, Qi L, Zhang J, Li T, Zhang H, Liu J. GATA6: a new predictor for prognosis in ovarian cancer. Hum Pathol 86:163-169, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30633927.
- Barrett Lawson1, Anais Malpica1. Borderline and Malignant Brenner Tumors: A Clinicopathologic Study of 43 Cases. Mod Path 103(3):S937-S938, 2023.
- Guoliang Wang1, Yan Liu1, Preetha Ramalingam1, Anais Malpica1, Elizabeth Euscher1, Barrett Lawson, Nadia Hameed1, Anil Sood1, Hind Rafei1, Rafet Basar1, Katy Rezvani1, Amir Jazaeri1, Jinsong Liu. TROP2 Expression is A Favorable Prognostic Marker in Patients with Advanced High Grade Ovarian Carcinoma. Mod Path 103(3):S998-S99, 2023.
- Lawson, BC. Chapter 9 Leiomyosarcoma. In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
- Lawson BC. Chapter 10 Uterine Sarcomas (Adenosarcoma, Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma and STUMP tumors). In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
- Lawson, BC. Chapter 11 Uterine Carcinomas. In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
- Lawson, BC. Chapter 13 Other Rare Uterine Tumors. In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
- Lawson, BC. Chapter 16 Vaginal Clear Cell Carcinoma. In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
- Lawson, BC. Chapter 18 Bartholin Gland Carcinomas. In: Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Gyncologic Cancers, 2022.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||MD Anderson Gynecologic SPORE for Uterine Cancers|
|Title:||MD Anderson Gynecologic SPORE for Uterine Cancers|
|Title:||Role of the pro-inflammatory omental microenvironment in ovarian cancer progression|
|Title:||Understanding and Intercepting Ovarian Carcinogenesis (MOD)|
|Funding Source:||Breakthrough Cancer (BTC)|