Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Zhang’s research interests involve studying biomarkers, lineage plasticity, and novel therapies to treat lung cancers. She has been conducting research to identify biomarkers and cell surface targets in small cell lung cancer (SCLC), including SCLC transformation from non-small cell lung cancer as a resistance mechanism. She also works on bringing new therapies to patients through clinical trials and translational research.
Dr. Zhang is a medical oncologist dedicated to improving the outcomes of patients with thoracic malignancies. Her work focuses on bringing the most effective, personalized treatment to individual patients, both through standard-of-care options and clinical trials. She also works closely with a multidisciplinary team, including thoracic surgeons and radiation oncologists, to deliver the highest quality care.
Education & Training
|2014||Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2014||Yale School of Management, New Haven, CT, USA, MBA, Business administration|
|2009||McGill University, Montreal, CAN, BS, Microbiology and Immunology|
|2020-2023||Hematology/oncology fellow, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2014-2017||Medicine Residency, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2017||American Board of Internal Medicine|
Experience & Service
Clinical Specialist, Department of General Internal Medicine - Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - 2020
- Moliner L, Zhang B, Lamberti G, Ardizzoni A, Byers LA, Califano R. Novel therapeutic strategies for recurrent SCLC. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 186:104017, 2023. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 37150311.
- Zhang B, Stewart CA, Wang Q, Cardnell RJ, Rocha P, Fujimoto J, Solis Soto LM, Wang R, Novegil V, Ansell P, He L, Fernandez L, Jendrisak A, Gilbertson C, Schonhoft JD, Byun J, Jones J, Anderson AKL, Aparicio A, Tran H, Negrao MV, Zhang J, Wang WL, Wistuba II, Wang J, Wenstrup R, Byers LA, Gay CM. Dynamic expression of Schlafen 11 (SLFN11) in circulating tumour cells as a liquid biomarker in small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer 127(3):569-576, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35440668.
- Kundu K, Cardnell RJ, Zhang B, Shen L, Stewart CA, Ramkumar K, Cargill KR, Wang J, Gay CM, Byers LA. SLFN11 biomarker status predicts response to lurbinectedin as a single agent and in combination with ATR inhibition in small cell lung cancer. Transl Lung Cancer Res 10(11):4095-4105, 2021. PMID: 35004241.
- Zhang B, Ramkumar K, Cardnell RJ, Gay CM, Stewart CA, Wang WL, Fujimoto J, Wistuba II, Byers LA. A wake-up call for cancer DNA damage: the role of Schlafen 11 (SLFN11) across multiple cancers. Br J Cancer 125(10):1333-1340, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34294893.
- Stewart CA, Gay CM, Ramkumar K, Cargill KR, Cardnell RJ, Nilsson MB, Heeke S, Park EM, Kundu ST, Diao L, Wang Q, Shen L, Xi Y, Zhang B, Della Corte CM, Fan Y, Kundu K, Gao B, Avila K, Pickering CR, Johnson FM, Zhang J, Kadara H, Minna JD, Gibbons DL, Wang J, Heymach JV, Byers LA. Lung Cancer Models Reveal Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2-Induced Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition Contributes to Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pathophysiology. J Thorac Oncol 16(11):1821-1839, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34274504.
- Gay CM, Stewart CA, Park EM, Diao L, Groves SM, Heeke S, Nabet BY, Fujimoto J, Solis LM, Lu W, Xi Y, Cardnell RJ, Wang Q, Fabbri G, Cargill KR, Vokes NI, Ramkumar K, Zhang B, Della Corte CM, Robson P, Swisher SG, Roth JA, Glisson BS, Shames DS, Wistuba II, Wang J, Quaranta V, Minna J, Heymach JV, Byers LA. Patterns of transcription factor programs and immune pathway activation define four major subtypes of SCLC with distinct therapeutic vulnerabilities. Cancer Cell 39(3):346-360.e7, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33482121.
- Zhang B, Long EF. Cost-effectiveness analysis of palbociclib or ribociclib in the treatment of advanced hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 175(3):775-779, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30847728.
- Zhang B, Master AK, Brown CE, Drakaki A. Not Just Another Infection. Am J Med 131(11):e463-e464, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30055122.
- Zhang B, Finn RS. Personalized Clinical Trials in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Based on Biomarker Selection. Liver Cancer 5(3):221-32, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27493897.
- Zhang B, Hurvitz S. Long-term outcomes of neoadjuvant treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 14(7):520-30, 2016. PMID: 27379947.
- Zhang B, Lee AI, Podoltsev N. Tumor lysis syndrome and acute anemia in an African-American man with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Oxf Med Case Reports 2014(8):138-40, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25988058.
- Zhang B, Bolognia J, Marks P, Podoltsev N. Enhanced skin toxicity associated with the combination of clofarabine plus cytarabine for the treatment of acute leukemia. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 74(2):303-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24908437.
- Podoltsev N, Zhang B, Yao X, Bustillo I, Deng Y, Cooper DL. Chemoimmunotherapy and withdrawal of immunosuppression for monomorphic posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorders. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 13(6):716-20, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24035715.
- Zhang B, Porto AF. Cholesteryl ester storage disease: protean presentations of lysosomal acid lipase deficiency. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56(6):682-5, 2013. PMID: 23403440.